VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy Gameplay Discussion

The trick is to do the YRC raw instead of actually doing the backdash. People can't actually tell which one you did. That leaves you close enough to do 2K > whatever.You can do backdash YRC j.K > S Volcanic Viper on more characters than you think. I know it works on Sol from up close, for example.

I guess, I feel like they could tell you're airborne though. I dunno haven't looked at it for a bit, I'll have to revisit.

You get that j.K to hit crouching on Sol? I only remember it hitting Potemkin and Bedman but that'd be nice if it hit more.

It can kinda double as a throw punish too I guess, which would hit probably any character.

I guess, I feel like they could tell you're airborne though. I dunno haven't looked at it for a bit, I'll have to revisit.

If you do the YRC immediately after the backdash starts, they really can't. The animation looks practically identical. They might be able to react to the directional inputs that you do for the dash, and there is a difference in height, but it's not obvious like you might expect. People who are trying to react to it are likely to always think it's the overhead.

I tested today and I couldn't get the j.K to hit, but I remember looking at this like a month ago with a friend and seeing it was possible. Maybe we didn't have the dummy set to crouching. I'll check tonight and get back to you.

I know this sounds silly, but I have a hard time grasping safe jumps. I mean, I get the idea - jump and attack (or don't) in such a way you're safe if they try to do something on wakeup or hit them if they don't - but I fail to apply it in practice. The best I can do is an empty jump 5D/2D/WT, hoping they slip up, I just fail miserably at making it feel natural. I do a lot of Sol mirrors and most of my attempts get 5K'd or VV'd. Can anyone give any tips on how to practice it and what common mistakes I might be doing? I feel like I've got a quite good grasp of Sol, except for this. 

I know this sounds silly, but I have a hard time grasping safe jumps. I mean, I get the idea - jump and attack (or don't) in such a way you're safe if they try to do something on wakeup or hit them if they don't - but I fail to apply it in practice. The best I can do is an empty jump 5D/2D/WT, hoping they slip up, I just fail miserably at making it feel natural. I do a lot of Sol mirrors and most of my attempts get 5K'd or VV'd. Can anyone give any tips on how to practice it and what common mistakes I might be doing? I feel like I've got a quite good grasp of Sol, except for this.

Sounds like you don't have a grasp for the timing yet maybe. Sol is also the hardest character to safejump in the game pretty much with his 5f VV (other than Elphelt 3+1f Overdrive).

If you haven't seen this I recommend watching, it's +R but all pretty much applies to Xrd. It doesn't cover the opponent using fuzzy guard/jump or anti-air/throw OS but gives a general idea of how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1KlHSzn1D8

Sounds like you don't have a grasp for the timing yet maybe. Sol is also the hardest character to safejump in the game pretty much with his 5f VV (other than Elphelt 3+1f Overdrive).

If you haven't seen this I recommend watching, it's +R but all pretty much applies to Xrd. It doesn't cover the opponent using fuzzy guard/jump or anti-air/throw OS but gives a general idea of how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1KlHSzn1D8

Thanks, it was quite informative. The timing is pretty hard on some characters, but it's certainly worth learning. 

Thanks, it was quite informative. The timing is pretty hard on some characters, but it's certainly worth learning.

I made a video on the timing. Hope it helps! http://youtu.be/zmkGSRtxUuo. That video should help you diagnose whether you're timing your safe jump too early or too late. The only other factor is if you're timing j.S correctly.

The timing for the safe jump honestly isn't that difficult compared to games like SF4. Because you can block almost immediately upon landing in GG and reversals are typically 4 frames or faster, you have a few frames of breathing room to time the jump. I would say that Sol's safe jump oki is his best oki option unless he simply is too far away to do it.

So I found this with my friends at casuals the other day. For some bizarre, likely unintentional reason Sol has high-profile during his brake slide. I haven't found another character who does this so I think it's a bug. Judging by the animation he should be low-profiling not high-profiling. It doesn't last very long but it's definitely there. Most attacks with enough active frames aren't really affected but it's certainly capable of ignoring Slidehead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVEFJxna2ZI&feature=youtu.be

That's wacky. Just the other day I was finding that 6HS will also not get hit by Slide Head, and I have no idea why.

Their hitbox actually reaches off the ground during the break. It's always been like this. If you want to see it even crazier go take Baikens run break for a spin, she had days of ultra low Invul.

Their hitbox actually reaches off the ground during the break. It's always been like this. If you want to see it even crazier go take Baikens run break for a spin, she had days of ultra low Invul.

No other character in Xrd seems to do this.

Minor thing but, what should I do if my low airdash j.HS gets blocked? It's not possible to link into j.P to make it safe, and continue the blockstring, so I always get grabbed upon landing because of this.

Minor thing but, what should I do if my low airdash j.HS gets blocked? It's not possible to link into j.P to make it safe, and continue the blockstring, so I always get grabbed upon landing because of this.

If you're high enough you can do j.P or j.K, but in general it's best to structure airdash strings to avoid that height where those won't come out in time entirely, because you're only air special options that low are VV and BR which are both bad on block. Try to do more attacks before the j.HS, or delay gatlings more, so you're already landing when that's done.

5K > c.S > 2D > Bandit Revolver or HS Volcanic Viper -> Tataki Otoshi

in this Combo does the c.S mean Crouching S?

The c.S indicates close Slash. Crouching attacks will have a "2" before the attack, according to this notation http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Notation

What's the timing to successfully perform Sol's fuzzy j.P and j.S?

I've only gotten j.P once versus Sol and it was by pure luck. Tried using it after a safe jump but I can't get Sol to jump cancel j.S when it's meaty. Really want to start applying these to my game and any help would be appreciated.

It's just a matter of getting j.S (or j.D) as deep as possible and getting your jump cancel input in before you land. It is pretty difficult to do on most characters, I still don't get it every single time I go for it myself, takes practice. j.S is a bit more lenient on the height.

It's just a matter of getting j.S (or j.D) as deep as possible and getting your jump cancel input in before you land. It is pretty difficult to do on most characters, I still don't get it every single time I go for it myself, takes practice. j.S is a bit more lenient on the height.

Grinded it out thanks to your advice, thanks bro you're the best.

Can't wait to get consistent with this and let them enjoy the mind games.

Made a video performing all the fuzzies that I know with Sol, http://youtu.be/VY-8mThYTlY

Didn't know fuzzy j.S also worked on instant block so that was a pleasant surprise and I did note another couple of things from performing these. It's finnicky midscreen versus Ino it's a bit finnicky to connect fuzzy j.S midscreen but it's probably just a timing issue, Axl completely avoids fuzzy j.S on instant block but it's not very revelant considering we can opt for j.P, SVV should always be used over HVV and that getting that j.K meter less combo on Zato is a pain.

Forgot to include the basic j.S fuzzy combo but it goes as follows. j.S > SVV > RRC > BB > c.S > 2HS > j.S > JC > j.S > jHS > HVV > TO

Those aren't his only fuzzies.

Read your post and edited my post accordingly. Practicing the one you posted on the okizeme thread and then I'll see if I can update the video, thanks bro.

I'm not sure if this is just a known fact, and it doesn't seem useful for anything at all, but I noticed it yesterday and want to get more info.

Fooling around in training vs Ky yesterday, I noticed that he whiffs with his sweep on point-blank SLIDING Sol. As in during the post-dash animation. Why is that? Does Ky's sweep have a disjointed hitbox and Sol's slide just shrinks the hurtbox enough? I can hardly see practical applications of this, I'm just curious.

Uki came to Mikado today.

Got dropped from 17 Dan to 15.

But managed to win a couple of matches against Ogawa.

So I recommend you guys to watch the stream archive.

^Those Uki videos are up on goldenrody's channel. Good footage.

I need some help understanding something. In this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7uJl34Wo0

both Kazunoko and Bonchan use block strings ending with 2S and then run all the way up to the opponent and continue pressure. I tried this a lot at a casual session today and got counter hit alot. Is this bad timing on my part? I know 2S is +3 on block.