VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy Gameplay Discussion

^Those Uki videos are up on goldenrody's channel. Good footage.

I need some help understanding something. In this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7uJl34Wo0

both Kazunoko and Bonchan use block strings ending with 2S and then run all the way up to the opponent and continue pressure. I tried this a lot at a casual session today and got counter hit alot. Is this bad timing on my part? I know 2S is +3 on block.

They're giving 2S's frame advantage extra respect because a good Sol will sometimes immediately attack after 2S to frame trap. And once you commit to blocking after 2S, even if you react to him running at you, you can't exactly be sure just how far he ran up before hitting a button. And maybe he hit 6P or 2D instead of far S. 5K is good after 2S, but the range is an issue. You can also frame trap 2S into 2S.

Basically, you need to teach people to respect your frame advantage by immediately doing far S and 2D after blocked 2S. You'd rather dash up and do a mixup, but the 2S frame advantage only allows that if you can condition your opponent to not hit buttons after 2S. 2S > immediate dashing far S is scary to contest if you have the threat of far S 5HS RRC BB.

They're giving 2S's frame advantage extra respect because a good Sol will sometimes immediately attack after 2S to frame trap. And once you commit to blocking after 2S, even if you react to him running at you, you can't exactly be sure just how far he ran up before hitting a button. And maybe he hit 6P or 2D instead of far S. 5K is good after 2S, but the range is an issue. You can also frame trap 2S into 2S.

Basically, you need to teach people to respect your frame advantage by immediately doing far S and 2D after blocked 2S. You'd rather dash up and do a mixup, but the 2S frame advantage only allows that if you can condition your opponent to not hit buttons after 2S. 2S > immediate dashing far S is scary to contest if you have the threat of far S 5HS RRC BB.

Makes sense. Thanks for the response. The video shows some very solid gameplay overrall.

2S> Fafnir is pretty good too at farther ranges to catch jump outs.

If they hold up back immediately after 2S I'm pretty sure that Fafnir always whiffs unless they're someone like Potemkin. I'd rather use 2S > 6HS to catch jumps personally.

Mugen proved to me yesterday that he is the strongest active Sol.

He gave Karinchou and Roi an unbelievable amount of despair.

It's just crazy how no one can imitate his play style!

I lost it at the VV > Thumbs up > VV.

The game knew what I wanted, couldn't have asked for a better series of taunts/"respects".

Thank you based Daisuke.

The game knew what I wanted, couldn't have asked for a better series of taunts/"respects".

Thank you based Daisuke.

Woulda been funnier with the "fuck you" taunt. 'Cuz netplay Millia.

Woulda been funnier with the "fuck you" taunt. 'Cuz netplay Millia.

Well now you have just motivated me to make a part 2, Manny's probably gonna hate me the next time we play.

On second thought maybe not, might get banned from our locals with him being the only organizer from an overdose of salt.

Well now you have just motivated me to make a part 2, Manny's probably gonna hate me the next time we play.

On second thought maybe not, might get banned from our locals with him being the only organizer from an overdose of salt.

This guy. The Alton Brown of Goon Squading.

You gotta do it after a dustloop. Keep it classic.

Will do!

If you land Fafnir in the corner as a CH, you can do CH Fafnir > Taunt > 6P > Loop. Get some free meter and throw some salt in their eyes. Less damage though.

If you land Fafnir in the corner as a CH, you can do CH Fafnir > Taunt > 6P > Loop. Get some free meter and throw some salt in their eyes. Less damage though.

Just tested this, added to my arsenal of "respect"/taunt combos. Personal favorite of mine is basic BnB into Fafnir > RRC > Respect > Activate IK > IK. The thumbs up just gets em prepared for hat nice barbecue. Also CH Fafnir > Taunt > Activate IK > IK, guaranteed rage quit.

Must upload video as soon as possible.

For those times when kicking wheel-chair bound waifus while they're down isn't enough, punch them to the moon.

Also I don't get the fuzzy options video Sendu posted awhile back. Could someone explain it to me please?

Fuzzy guard info is in the safejump oki section of the oki thread now. Basically he is showing different combo possibilities from various fuzzies with or without dashing momentum.

The way fuzzy guards work is when you block an attack and switch guard while still in blockstun, your characters hurtbox remains in the same place until you exit stun. So from a stand block switching to crouch block, the standing hurtbox remains but you are switching to low block so a high hits you, you don't leave stun so you don't crouch under the high hit. This essentially creates a 50/50 between the jump in blocked > 2K or jump in blocked > fuzzy.

And just a friendly reminder this topic is for posting of videos only, discussion of them should go to gameplay discussion or Q&A :)

And just a friendly reminder this topic is for posting of videos only, discussion of them should go to gameplay discussion or Q&A :)

And now that's where it is.

Would anyone mind breaking down Sol's neutral for me? I'm just at a loss for what to do. I used to think I could go in because that's scrubby Sols do against me and it works, but I just get bodied when I attempt to rush good players down. I can see I have to be more footsie-oriented, but his normals are so stubby so he feels awkward. 

What's Sol neutral theory? 

STRATEGY? SPACING?

It's funny, but you do have to strike a balance between going in and picking your spots. Your ultimate goal is to get in and force the other person into a bad position so you can mix them up. Your neutral approach is heavily dependent on which character you're fighting. In some cases, Sol's ground normals dominate the other character's gameplan so heavily, he can just go ham on them. But usually, due to the nature of how Sol's normals and specials work, you will have to make a more careful approach, since there is heavy risk associated with some of his options.

I wish I had better answers, but I haven't played Sol since like, Slash era, so I have a hard time articulating his playstyle. I see him as a suppressive character; you have to blow up your opponent's movement and attempts to fight back until they just want to block, and then wreck them. Only strong advice I can give is, save your meter for GF YRC and use the threat of that to force bad situations.

Would anyone mind breaking down Sol's neutral for me? I'm just at a loss for what to do. I used to think I could go in because that's scrubby Sols do against me and it works, but I just get bodied when I attempt to rush good players down. I can see I have to be more footsie-oriented, but his normals are so stubby so he feels awkward. 

What's Sol neutral theory? 

Spam Fafnir until successful :psyduck:

I find playing defensively until I build enough meter explode on a confirm works for me. Use his S buttons and K and 2D to fish for stuff. Sometimes play wonky to avoid getting BSed.

Machaboo is amazing. I loved the airdash j.S > j.K whiff > WT trick. And the mileage he got with BB RC on block was eye opening. Got some stylish more optimized combos in there frequently too.

Machaboo's use of GF in that set opened my eyes to how I'm not using the move to it's full potential. His footsies are just remarkable throughout the entire set that just makes me wanna get on guilty and level up (you know I'm gonna do just that).

With this set I now declare Machaboo the patron Sol God of Xrd. 

Check the latest post in the video thread. It's there amongst a bunch of other Machaboo casuals.