VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy Gameplay Discussion

Wasn't the height on CH 2HS decreased? It seems to result in a knockdown now. Unless you mean 2HS on an aerial opponent, then I haven't heard about it before. 

I think Sol has more potential for things being Burst baits than Burst safe routes - I mostly stick to rapid P attacks when I worry about getting Bursted early. Usually works. 

Wasn't the height on CH 2HS decreased? It seems to result in a knockdown now. Unless you mean 2HS on an aerial opponent, then I haven't heard about it before. 

I think Sol has more potential for things being Burst baits than Burst safe routes - I mostly stick to rapid P attacks when I worry about getting Bursted early. Usually works.

Yes. Disregard my previous post. I read patch notes that were the complete opposite but Ultima had the more accurate ones posted. It floats lower with more untechable time for better BB connects.

I remember someone posing the question of how to play neutral with Sol. I was considering making a video talking about his neutral and overall gameplan, are people interested in something like that and/or do you see a need for it?

It'd definitely help people like me who are still trying to find themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember someone posing the question of how to play neutral with Sol. I was considering making a video talking about his neutral and overall gameplan, are people interested in something like that and/or do you see a need for it?

I'd watch it. There aren't enough videos like this, if at all.

Yeah, I noticed that while we have plenty of combo vids and some tutorials for oki and some interesting tricks, there's nothing like a general primer available for Sol, probably because he's relatively simple and an established character. I don't think I'll be doing anything too fancy either, just recording on my PS4 while using my mic for audio.

I think it would help a lot of people. I personally haven't been focusing on that topic in vids because I already worked on it a bunch for his wiki. I was planning to a while back but was kinda burnt out on it and usually just refer people to that or match vids. Vids do a whole lot that text doesn't, and it never hurts to have more info out there, so I think it'd be appreciated.

Speaking of the wiki I probably won't do any big update to it until 1.1. But I have plans to explain corner OTG oki reset thing in another vid later because there seems to be a bunch of misunderstanding on it out there (as I misunderstood it when writing that part of the wiki).

I think that you guys need to do something to talk about his pressure strings and game.  Knowing the way the routes work and what controls what options is SO important to sol.

I think that you guys need to do something to talk about his pressure strings and game.  Knowing the way the routes work and what controls what options is SO important to sol.

But it's all very simple and rather well documented. Neutral is trickier, because there are both obvious and less obvious (to beginners, that is) uses for every tool. Text is fine, but I always felt neutral needs a more graphic explanation.

In the end I think a nice community effort compiling the basics of Sol's gameplan in a single article would be pretty cool to have.

I'm gonna do some more research in training mode before getting started, there are definitely elements of neutral that come out better in video and are not well discussed. However it also ties into his pressure game and how to transition to his close game, so there will be elements of that as well.

Sol might be simple in the context of GG, but I actually found him a bit difficult to pick up because his confirms are so varied. Maybe I'm just bad. Yeah, he's a shoto-style character, but he seems challenging to actually play well. 

His confirms are not necessarily that tough, but I may be biased since I've been playing for so long. What makes him a bit tougher is learning to play him without being YOLO all the time. Learning how to be patient, how to pick spots to go in for pressure, not relying on his specials, that sort of thing. At the very least, I've seen how painful the transition can be for a newer player who picks up Sol and then goes up against more experienced players who know how to punish his shenanigans. His mixup can be pretty easy to understand, but learning how to properly pressure someone and how to safely transition from neutral to pressure are hugely important concepts that are not easily grasped for some players.

Yeah, that plays into something else I forgot to mention - his neutral is not straight forward AT ALL and I often find myself mind locked anytime I play a fresh matchup. 

How do I get dust loop corner combos on i-no? she seems to float too high for fanfic followups

How do I get dust loop corner combos on i-no? she seems to float too high for fanfic followups

You can't reliably land Fafnir after the dustloop on I-no, Millia and May. For maximum damage you should do two dustloop reps on them. I always just go for j.K>j.D>jc>j.S>j.D>SVV>TO on her.

On that note, if you aren't totally confident in landing the 2nd dustloop rep, don't bother with it. It doesn't add that much damage, not enough to be worth dropping knockdown if you aren't 100% with it.

Also look at the latest posts in Millia matchup thread for an optimal alternative.

Yeah, that plays into something else I forgot to mention - his neutral is not straight forward AT ALL and I often find myself mind locked anytime I play a fresh matchup.

If they're on the ground, footsie with either 2D or f.S. If f.S doesn't win, 2D will. Sol's 2D transcends time and space and will beat moves it really has no business beating.

The hardest part of Sol isn't really knowing what buttons to hit, but rather to move in an aggressive way without getting blown up.

And yeah, the first time I fought someone who could block low air dash j.S, I freaked out. Then I remembered that empty jump Wild Throw was a thing. Sol's solution to people knowing his tricks is always a simple option, but knowing which option to use requires a good understanding of the opponent's emotional state and general gameplan.

please do the neutral vid TB! i have sessions in my house or go to others peoples house weekly here in nyc vs the top players in nyc, (chaz, a3reliogon etc...) and my mixs up and comboes are on point i still have trouble in neutral. also if possible please add frame traps in the video. reading frame traps and actually seeing it in action does help a shitload. thanks :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2B47DZHsQo&t=36m48s

What the hell just happened there?

Except for this not really being the right topic to ask in, Axl's j.D now wallsticks. The Sol player probably just didn't tech. 

And if you mean the entire match, that was just a brutal beatdown delivered by probably the most annoying character on arcades now (as far as I heard).