VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy Combo Thread

What exactly is your problem? If it is connecting the j.K route until the end: you've to dash before jumping.

E.g. land after j.D, 66>j.K>j.D(jc)>j.D>...

Because of the dash you now have enough momentum to connect the complete route into Kudakero.

In GGXrd, when you're doing a D-Loop rep, the falling j.D has to be done quite a bit later than in previous games due to the additional 3 frames of recovery time on j.D. You need to be a little further down than about half-way between your initial jump height and the ground when you input j.D again.

5K/c.S > 5HS/2HS > Gun Flame (RC) > X
This doesn't work the opponent will always have time to block GunFlame (Set the CPU to "Block after first hit" in training and see for yourself).

5K/c.S > 5HS/2HS > Gun Flame (RC) > X

This doesn't work the opponent will always have time to block GunFlame (Set the CPU to "Block after first hit" in training and see for yourself).

The idea is to hit the opponent with the c.S/f.S immediately after the Roman Cancel, which puts them in hitstun long enough for the Gun Flame to connect.

So a combo like "5K/c.S > 5HS/2HS > Gun Flame (RC) > c.S/f.S > Bandit Bringer" plays out like "Gun Flame (RC) (Gun Flame starts moving) > c.S/f.S > input Bandit Bringer (Gun Flame hits here) > Bandit Bringer hits" and then you continue the combo from there.

The idea is to hit the opponent with the c.S/f.S immediately after the Roman Cancel, which puts them in hitstun long enough for the Gun Flame to connect.

So a combo like "5K/c.S > 5HS/2HS > Gun Flame (RC) > c.S/f.S > Bandit Bringer" plays out like "Gun Flame (RC) (Gun Flame starts moving) > c.S/f.S > input Bandit Bringer (Gun Flame hits here) > Bandit Bringer hits" and then you continue the combo from there.

Wait, so I RC INTO GunFlame? I thought that meant I should RC the GunFlame. I guess that's where my problem lies, lol. Thank you very much for clearing that up.

Gun Flame is what you Roman Cancel. You just Roman Cancel it as soon as the flame appears and then throw out the c.S/f.S while the Gun Flame itself is still moving. I guess I can see why it can be confusing for people not familiar with Xrd's new Roman Cancel system if they're still too used to only being able to Roman Cancel something on hit or block.

I know this might be noobish but im having trouble connecting the dive kick into VV any suggestions would be welcomed

What happens when you drop it? If they're airteching before VV connects, you're likely too close to the edge of the screen during the divekick and they didn't get hit by the second hit.

I know this might be noobish but im having trouble connecting the dive kick into VV any suggestions would be welcomed

Sometimes it's not possible to get the knock down because of spacing. especially when VV counter hits a poke. If you get a weird CH with VV, you can often dash up and combo them, especially as anti air, because VV knocks down on CH. So don't always automatically follow up with Otoshi.

If you only get one hit of air VV in combos, you can still follow up with Otoshi usually. If you can't, your spacing was radically wrong. Try using a run jump or changing the combo to be simpler before VV.

If you gave us a specific combo you were messing up, I could give you more specific advice. A video would be even better.

Yeah they tech right before it hits its challenges 31

Timing/spacing dependent, I ended up just doing it over and over until I lucked into the correct timings. I believe it has something to do with how far you allow the combo to push yourself out of the corner.

Sometimes it's not possible to get the knock down because of spacing. especially when VV counter hits a poke. If you get a weird CH with VV, you can often dash up and combo them, especially as anti air, because VV knocks down on CH. So don't always automatically follow up with Otoshi.

If you only get one hit of air VV in combos, you can still follow up with Otoshi usually. If you can't, your spacing was radically wrong. Try using a run jump or changing the combo to be simpler before VV.

If you gave us a specific combo you were messing up, I could give you more specific advice. A video would be even better.

spiralfang is referring to Kudakero, not Tataki Otoshi.

As previously mentioned, the issue behind Kudakero |> Volcanic Viper is almost certainly that you're too deep in the corner, so the second hit of Kudakero whiffs off-screen. Try neutral jumping instead of forward jumping for the last j.D.

spiralfang is referring to Kudakero, not Tataki Otoshi.

As previously mentioned, the issue behind Kudakero |> Volcanic Viper is almost certainly that you're too deep in the corner, so the second hit of Kudakero whiffs off-screen. Try neutral jumping instead of forward jumping for the last j.D.

I can't read, my bad.

I remember doing that combo. If the neutral jump doesn't work like I suspect, then you just have to change the timing of your j.d's and your first jump to affect the opponent's height.

I'm trying to land challenge 31, but i can't get close enough for the break to connect? Any tips on timing, or angles of the jumps? (new to GG)

* i think i may be hitting Jk to quickly. i'll try that out. 

** figured out you have to dash to land the jump k , now i'm having trouble landing the OTG

*** nevermind, got it. 

In corner:

5D [6] ~ 6H BB Fafnir 6P~2H jD Break HVVK 165 damage on Sol

Start the combo with 5HS 2HS BB. Much more consistent and more damage.

There's a bit of wonkiness with comboing with Sol's corner 5D. Using a homing dash out of 5D into xx > BB isn't always the best option, because some characters slump so low that the BB whiffs in the corner (I-no, some other lightweights), while Slayer, and potentially others' wallstick hitboxes are so high that dash c.S and 5H will whiff unless you artificially delay it. In fact, if the 5D is a counter hit, the opponent is stuck in the wallsplat and won't even slide before they can recover! Hitting them during this will activate slump, but they'll be at a higher point before the wallslide starts, meaning that 6H > Bandit Bringer doesn't work on 5D counter hit.

Your best option is actually to backdash out of the 5D and then do 6H > BB. This will work on normal hit against everybody, specifically the characters whose slump makes BB whiff after Homing dash. You'll need to delay the 6H slightly in order to ensure that it hits the opponent during wallslide, and not wallsplat.

If it's on Counter Hit, you have enough time to dash in and [5H > 2H] or [c.S > 5H], but if it's against Slayer, you need to use either [5K > 5H] or [6P > 5H]. 6P>5H needs Sol to be as close to the corner as possible.

Anyway, here's some data for comparison

5D [6 / 44],  6H > BB |> Fafnir, dash 6P, 2H (JC) > j.D > Break |> HVVK = 165

5D [6],  5H > 2H > BB |> Fafnir, dash 6P, 2H (JC) > j.D > Break |> HVVK = 166

5D [6 / 44],  6H > BB |> Fafnir, dash 6P, 2H (JC) > j.D > Break |> 6P, delay BR = 167

5D [6] 5H > 2H > BB |> Fafnir, dash 6P, 2H (JC) > j.D > Break |> 6P, delay BR = 168

Here are some optimized combos I've been working on.

5D [44],  6H > BB |> Fafnir, dash Gunflame, dash c.S (JC) > j.D > Break |> 6P, delay BR = 175

[NOTE: dash gunflame is best input by doing 2366P, and to get 6P BR to connect, you have to delay the BR as long as possible so the first hit connects. Works against most of the cast, but Elphelt and potentially other lightweights can tech before the dash c.S]

5D [44],  6H > BB |> Fafnir, Bandit Bringer, dash 2H (JC) > j.D > Break |> 6P, delay BR = 177

[This is similar to the above combo, but has the unfortunate distinction of being frame perfect and character specific. Difficult combo only worth going for if you can link Fafnir to BB, but you're generally better off going for the above].

Edited by Kaizen

Does 5HS -> IAD j.K work? I'm like 99.99% sure it doesn't, based on me sitting in training mode trying to do it off a raw 2HS/5HS for 15 minutes. I can get j.P fairly consistently. I think that changing all of Sol's heavies into level 4 attacks instead of level 5 removed that combo?

If you just don't dash out of 5D at all, you can still do 5HS > BB > Fafnir > dash 6P > 5HS > j.D > Break > 6P, delay BR.

If you do 5D > 44 > 6HS with zero frames of delay before 6HS on Slayer, the 6HS won't get the wall slide. You have to delay it a frame.

Does 5HS -> IAD j.K work? I'm like 99.99% sure it doesn't, based on me sitting in training mode trying to do it off a raw 2HS/5HS for 15 minutes. I can get j.P fairly consistently. I think that changing all of Sol's heavies into level 4 attacks instead of level 5 removed that combo?

It does work -- I've seen Mugen land it -- but I haven't gotten it in training mode either.

Against an airborne opponent? Yes, 5H HJIAD j.K still works. The timing feels as tight as it did for me in AC/+R, as I could never get it consistently before, anyway. You need to cancel the airdash into j.K pretty much immediately after you input it, or that's how it feels to me, anyway.

I've actually been practicing this for the last few days because it's probably Sol's best meterless damage option for a max distance CH 5H:

CH 5H (JC) > IAD j.S > j.D |> 5H (HJC) > IAD j.K > j.D > HVV = ~180 damage.

-This works from starting position, in case you feel ballsy enough to throw out 5H at the start of the round.

If you're close enough to the corner, you can do j.K > j.D into Break, but I haven't practiced that enough to determine what the best course of action out of it is.

The changing of levels is a universal system change; Level 4 moves are just Level 5 moves of a different name. What used to be Lvl.1 is now Lvl.0, Lvl.2 is now Lvl.1, and so forth.This might have been a necessity for coding in the Unreal Engine, though I'm not familiar enough with UE's scripting to say for certainty.

If you just don't dash out of 5D at all, you can still do 5HS > BB > Fafnir > dash 6P > 5HS > j.D > Break > 6P, delay BR.

If you do 5D > 44 > 6HS with zero frames of delay before 6HS on Slayer, the 6HS won't get the wall slide. You have to delay it a frame.

Good to note, in case this is ever a necessity. I've been spending more time lately trying to grind down execution rather than determine matchup specifics, but I'll keep that combo in mind.

I actually forgot to mention this, but yes, you do need to delay the 6H out of 5D backdash slightly, because if you hit on a frame where the opponent is still stuck in wallsplat, even on normal 5D hit, then they'll be able to tech before they slump. I'll add that in above.

Lastly, remember that you can RC into 5D, and not only does it ignore 5D's prorate, but it also ignores RC forced prorates, making 5D's slightly more useful if you want a damaging combo, and don't feel comfortable with dustloops or want something easier. For damage comparison:

5D [44] 6H > BB |> Fafnir, dash 6P > delay 5H (JC) > j.D > Break |> 6P > delay BR = 167 damage

versus

[CH 5H] OR [5H RC] > 5D > same combo = ~210 damage!