VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy Critique Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnvAOWs-sFM

Some matches vs a local ky player, i'm fairly new with sol and i have to play pretty safe, as he knows most of my mixups/has pretty good reactions

Things I already hate myself for not stop doing:

-miss 2D>BR, or do 2d>GF, so much oki lost

-getting hit by stupid shit, can't deal with overheads, sorry :S

-dropping key combos, most of the times i get them offline tho

-doing stupid shit in DI, can't help it really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnvAOWs-sFM

Some matches vs a local ky player, i'm fairly new with sol and i have to play pretty safe, as he knows most of my mixups/has pretty good reactions

Things I already hate myself for not stop doing:

-miss 2D>BR, or do 2d>GF, so much oki lost

-getting hit by stupid shit, can't deal with overheads, sorry :S

-dropping key combos, most of the times i get them offline tho

-doing stupid shit in DI, can't help it really

-You were dropping a lot of combos, might want to go back and brush up on your execution, get a feel for spacing as well. A lot of the time you just robotically used BR at the end of a combo, sometimes it's better to just end with 2D so you have oki.

-Chill with the Riot Stomp, it's a very obvious and punishable attack. One good CH 6P and you'll get blown up

-You need to figure out what you can punish as well, that's one of Sol's strengths. You could, for example, 5HS > IAD j.S > j.HS > 5K > 2D > BR on block vs. Stun Dipper, and if you know he's someone who uses Vapor Thrust a lot, you can low profile it with 2D and punish.

-DI is good now. If you use it raw, go ham with it. At the very least, try and get a throw or Wild Throw before it ends so you can recover safely. One nice thing about WT is that it's input, 623K, lets you use it while running. This is what makes it so strong. He got scared when you used DI and you WT'd, which was good.

-Use your normals more than your specials. Poke away. You're eating a lot of pokes because you're using specials all the time.

I had some good matches last ranbat against Kyoku and HF Blade, so I thought I'd post them here. Critiques and comments are of course welcome.

Losers Finals: FFN Kyoku (Faust) vs Orrax (Sol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLX0fQCp7Us

Grand Finals: HF Blade (Ky) vs Orrax (Sol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd-rimYKzUk

I ended up barely losing the final game to HF Blade, but he made some really nice reads. I was so close to a bracket reset, too.

hey orrax i've played you online before, you've got a great sol. as a new sol player (used to play baiken) my advice certainly isn't quite as useful as others here, but i watched your vids and i've got a few comments.

you could try using 6p in footsies and frame traps a bit more, i've found it to be great vs chars like faust and ky who tend to abuse their great pokes. CH 6p into BB against faust's f.s feels great, and it's only getting easier to hit in 1.1. 

you might also be autopiloting little combos into BR a bit too much, there's a couple missed opportunities to do 2d > GF RC etc, or c.s > 5h > GV which get you great damage and corner carry. your pressure looks really good, so good i think you should definitely look for WT a bit more than you were there. you had no problem getting your opponents to respect you, so punish em for it.

that's all i've got, keep up the good work!

Grand Finals: HF Blade (Ky) vs Orrax (Sol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd-rimYKzUk

I ended up barely losing the final game to HF Blade, but he made some really nice reads. I was so close to a bracket reset, too.

Was a pretty nice game. I'm going to explain the obvious thing here first which is that he was setting you up for airgrabs in the corner. That specific distance was also what N.O used to bait me into IADing him. If you want to go super risky you can use IAD SVV and you should get a combo off of it(but don't quote me on that), though if you want to be safer just do a neutral jump and wait for him to jump while flailing his weapon about which you can punish with a singlehit dash HVV if nothing else.

The less obvious thing was your offense, which is pretty rare for anyone to bring up, but you tend to rely too much on your opponent pushing buttons. Just play the mixup game with him, 2P -> WT, 2P -> 5K, 2P GF, etc. and see how he responds. If he panics and starts mashing buttons than you start punishing that, otherwise you can pretty safely spam WTs, 5Ds and stuff of that kind. Also, if you want a very easy neutral game mixup: jump IAD.S-H -> combo vs jump land 663D(dashing sweep) into combo. That little nugget has helped me a lot with both Order Sol and Sol and I assume it is applicable to most characters in the cast. You can set it up with Sol by connecting a 5H followed by a neutral jump; it will give you the perfect spacing for both options.

Uhh I don't think you should be telling people to 5Hs into delayed air mix up-that is asking to be 6P'ed to hell.

Also, continuing to watch the grand finals, you missed a lot of chances to get nice punishes like when you blocked stun dipper, or when he did reversal RTL and you punish with CH c.S> 5Hs> 236P. I believe you could have been FD braking more, too many times you got hit by a 2S or 2D into knockdown and then the Ky player started his game.

Really fun GF to watch

Uhh I don't think you should be telling people to 5Hs into delayed air mix up-that is asking to be 6P'ed to hell.

It wins me games :P Yes, if they 6P your high mixup or use feet invulnerability to counter your low mixup you may have a problem. But that's kind of a feature of mixups done in neutral. If you however were to sweep his 6P, you can covert to reasonable damage, as can you when hitting him with the air attack.

Jumping mixups in neutral are not that strong. You might be able to get away with it using HOS because of his lower jump trajectory and strong air to ground normals, but I wouldn't recommend it when using most characters.

Just took a brief glimpse, but from I can tell you were quite predictable in your approach. In neutral you always tried to get in through a air dash, which is actually not a good idea in general. You also pressed buttons on unfitting distances, e.g. you did 5H in a range where 5K or 2P would have been better. In general I guess you didn't convert out of random hits properly and also got hit a lot of times where you should have primarily blocked.

And I suppose more Faultless Defense?

Hey guys, I recently played a set with Brandino and got bodied pretty hard. Here is the set in question;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E2Hhlso4CI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs9ap_kvvAo

I'd love to get some advice in the Leo match up and general. Thanks!

First for some general hints:

Don’t use j.S so much in neutral situations. j.HS is much better – it’s 100% safe if you whiff (it recovers instantly, you can go for another quick attack like j.K or an air dash or double jump or whatever you want after it, it’s much better). On hit you can be almost sure that you get VV>TO knockdown. 

Your pressure is lacking in frame traps. You try to go for tick thorws, but you almost never do anything that would make the enemy sit in place and block in the first place. 2K>delay 6P, 2S>6HS, 2S>Fafnir, try to put these options together to force your opponent to block before even thinking about tick throwing. 

Use your f.S and 2S more. I see you mostly poking with 2D or 2K, which are good, but don’t really command the respect that’s necessary for you to get your throw game going. Use f.S from max range to discourage careless button mashing from your opponent. 

2S is great on counter hit, because it combos into 6HS from almost max range, giving you knockdown. 2S is also +3 on block. I’d call it the most important move Sol has, on par with WT and 5K. It gatlings into 5HS to hit a little more (cancel into GF with a little delay, YRC and reset your pressure there), 6HS to frame trap (use GF feint or GF on block to keep your opponent guessing, but keep in mind that 2S>6HS is not a true blockstring and they might try to jump out, Blitz or use an invulnrable move, anything else will get you a CH 6HS), or you can just leave it hanging at 2S to close the distance again. Once you condition your opponent to block, start using Wild Throw. Use f.S>2S>dash in>f.S>2S>dash in a few times to make your opponent press buttons and cancel the 2S into 6HS for knockdown or insane damage from the followup combo if it’s a counter hit.

Stay on the ground more. I know, it’s Guilty Gear, crazy airdashes, all that, but against most characters, you want to stand your ground a little bit more. Make him come to you and stuff his approaches with 2D (you have that part down at least), 6P and 5K if he’s attempting something from the air.

If you do try to go to the air, be less predictable. I mentioned j.S being a bad choice before, but make sure to try and add some variety. Double jump instead of just falling, dash at the apex of the jump or the lowest possible height, do Kudakero from time to time to keep the opponent guessing when to interrupt you, rather than just knowing it.

Work on autopiloting less. Almost every time you go for 2D, you throw BR right after it. You got A LOT of 2D counter hits in these fights, and you could convert to more damage by doing CH 2D>GF>2HS>air combo. It even leads to dustloops in the corner, and is the most damaging way to start one (you enter 250 damage territory against most characters).

Practice air throwing. I saw a lot of times (mostly after GF YRC) where you could have went for an air throw, but didn’t.

Don’t use GF YRC in half-screen neutral so much. It’s great in pressure, so keep your meter for that. It’s also useful for forcing your opponent to jump, you can get an air throw or hit them with an anti-air, but far too often you use it being too far away to get anything else than backing the opponent into the corner (which is good, but you could certainly have a better use for your meter). Of course, it's not bad to throw out occasionally (like to get that air throw I mentioned before), but getting too predictable with it means that you won't hit or pressure your opponent, but will waste your meter. In Leo matchup, I like to keep 50 Tension for HSVV>RC (or a desperate DAA if they keep me guessing) much, much more. 

Now a little more matchup specific stuff.

Every time you get hit or block the 2nd hit of Leo’s rekka, you should just start blocking low and keeping an eye out. All of his options after this that are overheads are reactable. You can then either just block, or plain stuff them with 5K (best for damage), HSVV (the safest, because even if you’re slightly late then the invulnerability will save your ass), TR if you want to spend the meter, or maybe even WT if you’re feeling brave.

Leo’s moves are horrible on whiff – mainly his 5HS. Use dash brake to fool him into throwing them out, thinking you’ll be in range and punish with 5HS, 2D or f.S to establish pressure.

Spend some time familiarizing yourself with the animations and frame data of Leo's moves. Remember that any time he goes for Zweit (the running-crossup slash) outside of combos, he's 100% throwable. 

Leo is a hellishly annoying character online. I'd say he goes up a tier or two even with a solid, stable 2 frame delay. A lot of his options are just crazy then, and almost anything he does since you block will be a frame trap converted into vortex. Still, he needs to work a lot harder to establish his pressure in neutral than you - so you must out-neutral him. 

Oh wow, this is awesome advice! Thanks for the feed back, I've really been needing it and haven't had any recorded footage. I'll get to work right aware to start getting implemented. You're given me some great advice and I am going to get working at it right away! Thanks again.

I almost wouldn't bother fighting any Leo online unless you have a clean 4 bar connection with almost no fluctuation. That character is just so incredibly fraudulent and scummy in the first place, you don't need to add the frustration of lag to that.

I wish I could, but it was the only option. Our scene is really small and the characters, limited. 

so guys? are you done at improving? :)

http://www.twitch.tv/aliounesensei/v/14132367

at 40mins starts a set me vs alioune elphelt

Im really greedy with the hitconfirms especially j.hs always looking to link into j.k

some confirms are wrong like 52.44(should have done normal DL rep or 1 j.d into dive c.s j.d dive ender, with such starter you can also get dive after DL without ender but you can tech trap and if they dont tech go for land 2k/2d or airdash j.hs

still lazy in hitconfirm 6P CH into BR or RS and also VV RC into GF, especialy for sideswitch into the corner(apprently against light weight you can even without CH)

to win more against such a player I need to cut mistakes like this, about the MU well...I really Dont know. stay grounded against stances and you can risk some jump forward and airdash j.ppp since her anti air is just c.s (even if sometimes 2s and 6h work too lol)

Edited by Gramas

before watching these 2 clips, I have something to tell you guys first

- Mute the sound if you like, they're mostly in my native language

- Sorry for the potato quality, we dont have any right tool for recording

- The IK mode in the second was me mis-push the button, it was suppose to be a YRC

- I know I have a lot of problems with my neutral/defense, so any tips about those 2 would be really nice

https://youtu.be/sX6kJneGavs?t=33s

https://youtu.be/VqKhVFyp_QE?t=41s

Edited by spycho

before watching these 2 clips, I have something to tell you guys first

- Mute the sound if you like, they're mostly in my native language

- Sorry for the potato quality, we dont have any right tool for recording

- The IK mode in the second was me mis-push the button, it was suppose to be a YRC

- I know I have a lot of problems with my neutral/defense, so any tips about those 2 would be really nice

https://youtu.be/sX6kJneGavs?t=33s

https://youtu.be/VqKhVFyp_QE?t=41s

I don't think I saw you use f.S to poke a single time. That move is the basis of neutral game for the most part, at least in the two matchups you posted. A f.S>2S blockstring is a great way to start moving from neutral to the offensive slowly. Vary it up with dash braking, 5HS, 2D, 6P or various specials afterwards (preferably when you have meter to make it safer) to make your opponent respect you as soon as you land that one crucial move. Depend less on specials for movement (in one of the Ky matches you did like two or three fullscreen Riot Stamps in a row that got you killed without any effort by your opponent) and start utilizing actual movement. You often let that Ky player get away with a lot more, because of a lack of ability to move in and start punishing his Stun Edges at all. As for Potemkin, don't ever do Gunflame (or GF YRC) at a range and time where he can flick it on reaction. Unless you have a super-confident hard read that this will beat their next move, all you're gonna do is lose meter and put yourself in a bad spot. You also don't want to just blindly dash into him and press your buttons at a range where his faster normals (or Buster) will connect. His backdash can be used to punish this recklessness almost every time. Try using further hitting moves to either hit him out of backdash recovery, or at least not be in a bad spot once he recovers. 

As far as defense goes, I can only recall four defensive maneuvers from you throughout all the matches - jump back Kudakero, Riot Stamp, Grand Viper and Volcanic Viper. That's not defense, that's wishful thinking. 

Start utilizing more Faultless Defense to push the enemy out, and then answer with your faster pokes (5P, 2P, occasionally 5K) or longer ranged ones (f.S) to keep them away. Alternatively you can use 6P or 2D to beat certain high-hitting moves, with 2D being more lenient and very rewarding on counter hit, even when you're in the corner. 

As for Kudakero, it's a good move to use in neutral and sometimes defense, but don't just throw it out when you're backed into the corner. It can easily be punished by a lot of 6P's and other high-reaching moves. If that Ky player knew when to press his buttons upon noticing his move, you'd be in for a HSVT loop ending with a DC okizeme. Not fun. 

Riot Stamp is tempting, because it can evade certain low hitting moves, but keep in mind that it will get more effective once you condition your opponent into actually using them. As I mentioned before, 6P and 2D will often beat moves that hit high. Once you notice your opponent switching to moves that hit low, then it makes much more sense to try Riot Stamp to get away. 

Grand Viper defensively is just a bad idea. It can punish a lot of otherwise safe moves, sure, but the risk is enormous. Never even try without 50 meter to spare. 

As for Volcanic Viper, I'm surprised you used SVV so much, especially as a reversal. It's slower than HSVV, and if you whiff/get baited you're gonna get punished anyway, so if you want to reversal with a VV, you're better off with HS. 

Your pressure is also lacking. I saw you did things like 2S>Gunflame, which makes almost no sense. You could potentially use that once you established that you'll poke with f.S or something like that after 2S, as a frame trap, but you never did that, so the fact that your opponent is just sitting there eating your Gunflames is down to his lack of matchup knowledge. The only other thing you do after a blocked 2S is Fafnir, which is good, but you also haven't done anything to condition your opponent into getting hit. Try to dash in after 2S, either with another f.S>2S string, a 2D, dash brake, maybe sometimes gatling 2S into 6HS, do anything to actually use the advantage 2S gives you. As of now, all you do after 2S is either specials, or simply standing around. With that crucial part of your gameplan missing, you can never truly start utilizing the strike/command throw mixup that is key in winning against strong opponents. 

so what I need to work on is:

-spam more f.S

-get my movement more fluent 

-learn how to actually block and punish stuff

Is there anything else I need to consider?

thanks in advance 

Yo, I found this really weird one. You do Super Jump TK BR, then YRC BR as soon as possible. You'll get a sort of hopping arc that's low to the ground. You could potentially use this for High/Low/Throw mixups between going to J.S/2k/Wild Throw. The Motion I do is

2369+K>PKS

Yo, I found this really weird one. You do Super Jump TK BR, then YRC BR as soon as possible. You'll get a sort of hopping arc that's low to the ground. You could potentially use this for High/Low/Throw mixups between going to J.S/2k/Wild Throw. The Motion I do is

2369+K>PKS

It's a really low the ground hop, like a KOF hop I would say, which is cool, because I come from a KOF background.

On 12/14/2015, 10:38:14, Garalian said:

Learning Sol to help with Pot's godawful MU's, recorded some sets I felt were pretty decent against this I-no. There are points where I completely scrubbed it up, and I wanna know exactly what I could've done better.

You back up after blockstrings or just plain Fafnir a lot from what I've seen. It's best just to hold back, Neutral J.H or J.P if you find yourself in a situation where Fafnir gets IBed, since you cover situations of what your opponent will try to do next. Usually if your opponent does something risky or jumps, you'll most likely beat them out. Backdash doesn't really do much, you're either at worse, a disadvantage when you do it, especially against I-No, since HCL can hit you out of it.

Also on that Safejump after VV:

Sol's safejumps require you to know the wakeup timings on certain characters so you don't get thrown out of it, so just be wary of that. You have to look at a wakeup speed chart and get used to the timings on certain characters. However, there is this one weird system aspect about Xrd where the frame before you land on the ground, your ground hurtbox goes active, so you might have to compensate for getting a safejump with a bit of a bigger open window for people to get out.

Also, don't go with Wild Throw all the time. Wild Throw is mainly there to catch the opponent off guard and have them scared, in which case you mix it up with frametraps and basic mixups that Sol has.

You use Fafnir too much. Fafnir is a good tool in neutral and lands some of the best rewards in the game on regular an counterhit in the game: Full combo, high damage, midscreen and even corner to corner in some cases, generally leading to hard knockdown. However, it's slow startup will not scare someone who is patient during pressure and knows what to do in that situation incase Fafnir is blocked, and most likely Fafnir back to back won't work on your opponents. Also, don''t do Riot Stomp in Neutral unless you want to create some distance between you and the opponent with a YRC. This way, you can reset yourself in a better way and calm down for a bit and figure out what you can do next in your game plan. 

You do a good job of avoiding HCL with Sol's Run, it's Sol's best tool to deal with I-No in neutral, and is a free punish if she does it.

Don't get too DP happy. Sometimes in certain situations, Sol has better tools to get out of pressure than VV. 5K is good if they get too close, Sweep low profiles pretty much anything that doesn't hit deep, and 2P is good for stopping Tick throws, provided you make the right read and mash it out.

As far as combos, don't worry about those. The more certain situations come up, the more you'll learn to convert damage off things like CH GF. 

Your use of 6P is good. You should try doing it on your opponents wake up too, as it makes for good block strings into 2S or 6H > GF

Overall, I think you've got the gist of it, but there still needs to be much more work done. Other than that, keep practicing and you'll get it eventually.