VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy 101/Q&A/FAQ Thread

How is sol badguy suppose to deal with millia rage and her mix ups

Uppercut, block, backdash, wake-up throw OS 5K, hold up back and block. That's all you have.

Uppercut, block, backdash, wake-up throw OS 5K, hold up back and block. That's all you have.

That's a lot tbh lmao

I haven't seen it being discussed, but is wake-up DI YRC still a thing? I saw @VR-Raiden's video of the tech on SRK, but I haven't gotten around to testing it in combat.

Supposedly you can YRC the startup of DI before it consumes Tension, so you get an invulnerable YRC thingie for 25 Tension. Since I *DON'T* see it being discussed as a regular thing, I'm wondering if it's useful, or if I should just stick with VV RC and 5K OS Throw for my wakeup reversals.

EDIT: Omitted a word, haha.

I haven't seen it being discussed, but is wake-up DI YRC still a thing? I saw a Youtube video of the tech on SRK, but I haven't gotten around to testing it in combat.

Supposedly you can YRC the startup of DI before it consumes Tension, so you get an invulnerable YRC thingie for 25 Tension. I'm not familiar with the particulars of the various RCs, though, so I'm not sure if these shenanigans are punishable. Has anyone played with this?

I haven't seen it being discussed, but is wake-up DI YRC still a thing? I saw @VR-Raiden's video of the tech on SRK, but I haven't gotten around to testing it in combat.

Supposedly you can YRC the startup of DI before it consumes Tension, so you get an invulnerable YRC thingie for 25 Tension. Since I see it being discussed as a regular thing, I'm wondering if it's useful, or if I should just stick with VV RC and 5K OS Throw for my wakeup reversals.

Yeah, that is how it works. Unfortunately DI is not invul until frame 7, which eliminates almost any scenario where you could use the invulnerability practically. (I learned that the day after uploading the vid :vbang:) It makes sense, because I don't think there's a single fully invul at frame 1 move in the game that allows YRC (curious if I'm wrong on that).

I have messed with it a little, but currently think it's highly impractical. The use of it for invulnerability could maybe be used to dodge a wake-up DP or something, but there's other safer ways of baiting that stuff usually. As for TKing it for mixups, I don't have faith those are very strong or practical. The only setup that looked ok that I messed with so far is when they're in corner, where you can do much safer/stronger stuff. Feel free to expirement with it though, I've personally put it on the back burner until I have more practical stuff down.

I guess a tricky use for it I can remember is doing something like jump in blocked > air DI(YRC) > airdash/high/low thing, but they can smack you or jump out of that easily. Whereas the old high blocked j.HS > airdash thing accomplishes practically the same thing for no tension.

Dragon Install Sol is incredibly strong in both neutral and offensive situations, but the lengthy recovery animation and loss of Tension restricts its practicality somewhat. Even when ending a Dragon Install combo safely, you're basically giving up okizeme when you recover. It's mostly useful when going for the kill (eliminating the issue with recovery) or to potentially turn the tables during a large life deficit (when you've got nothing to lose). There are also some occasional gimmicks you can do with it, such as the aforementioned Dragon Install (YRC), or using Dragon Install super freeze to burn out the timer on Elphelt's Berry Pine and so on.

And yes, you can land P.B.B. on standing opponents, but only while they're already in hitstun, meaning that you can combo into it standing, but you can't land it raw standing.

Does dragon instal have use or not

DI Gunflame does extreme amounts of chip damage and has a huge hitbox. You can kill people who are low on tension just by repeatedly doing DI Gunflame.

You can also use Dragon Install to increase damage of corner combos.

It still functions best when either you or your opponent are nearly dead. You can use your ridiculous priority and speed to close out a game or mount a comeback.

and do his supers have a use can i use the dragon instal grab on standing opponents

DI Tyrant Rave is ridiculously powerful - it belongs on a boss character. It does half life by itself and you can combo off it into 5D and end the combo with the air command grab to safely leave Dragon Install without being punished.

Normal Tyrant Rave does a big chunk and you can do a full combo from it in the corner. 2D > Tyrant Rave > 2HS is Sol's best starter off a low. 5HS 2HS> Tyrant Rave > 2HS is his best punish.

Best time to use DI in combos is when you have full meter and hit with a starter that prorates heavily. DI Tyrant Rave damage is so high that it renders damage scaling to be nearly meaningless.

Cool thanks getting the game tommorow does play a bit like blazblue or p4au ?

Guilty Gear is the series that Blazblue is based off of... so that one. 

Barrier Guard = Faultless Defense

Barrier Burst = Psycho Burst

Counter Assault = Dead Angle Attack

Rapid Cancel = Roman Cancel

Guard Libra = Guard Gauge

Astral Heat = Instant Kill

Negative Penalty = Negative Penalty

... you get the idea. You even have Ragna the Bloodedge = Sol Badguy and Jin Kisaragi = Ky Kiske.

I know this is probably a bad question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

How is sol supposed to be played?

Recently I fought a ramethal I got feedback from the same player that said I was inpatient and overly aggressive. I asked myself isn't sol suppose to maul his opponent and use command grab mix ups to open them up or do I just got the wrong idea?

Also I'm fairly new to guilty gear I started in plus r. Any opinions would be great.

Sol is an offensive character, but as you go up in skill, I think of him as less "oppressive" and more "suppressive", if you get my drift. He has a lot of fast moves with high priority, but a lot of those moves carry big risk with them. Knowing when to go in and when to sit back and let the opponent make mistakes is key. You have to work off of your opponent's fear to play him offensively, but in order to make them fear, you have to pressure them safely. If you're constantly going in with unsafe attacks, people will just punish you and you won't be scary to them anymore.

^That. Sol's also pretty obvious with what he's trying to do, so you kinda need to vary your approaches and fake people out a lot. If you just keep running in and attacking or airdashing in honestly you'll get poked by the longer normals most of the cast has. Basic examples would be faking out your approach by running up and airdashing away, or doing neutral jump j.p before airdashing or double jumping forward. Gunflame YRC is also huge and ridiculous for helping you approach safely. Learn it and love it when it opens up a million new options for you.

Q: Doing this combo (source: video by Mark of the Gear, GGXrd - Sol's combo collection, around the time 0:58)

(Player 1 side, midscreen)

5K > 6P > 5HS (JC) > Airdash j.K > j.D > ....

Forgive the notations if there are errors but on the part where you do the jump cancel and hitting j.K. It seems every time I do the j.K, it comes out late (almost at the end of airdashing) so the opponent can recovery before it even hits. In the video, Sol's j.K comes out fast (right after the dash animation) and enabling more combos. Any tips on doing this? I've only managed to do it once after more than an hour of repetition and I don't even remember how I did it. Is it in some way related to using jump install (I'm completely new to Guilty Gear)? Or I'm just doing it late. I tried doing this:

5K > 6P > (delay) 5HS (JC) > Airdash j.K > j.D > ...

or

5K > 6P > 5HS (HJC) > Airdash j.K > j.D > ...

but I can't seem to pull it off. I think I have a problem in doing the Airdash itself. I'm looking at my inputs, it seems that I'm doing excess inputs on stick (like doing JC and airdash but has these inputs: 28966 or 1966). I can't seem to solve this problem so please help me :D.

Thanks for this thread! Learned a lot.

Q: Doing this combo (source: video by Mark of the Gear, GGXrd - Sol's combo collection, around the time 0:58)

(Player 1 side, midscreen)

5K > 6P > 5HS (JC) > Airdash j.K > j.D > ....

Forgive the notations if there are errors but on the part where you do the jump cancel and hitting j.K. It seems every time I do the j.K, it comes out late (almost at the end of airdashing) so the opponent can recovery before it even hits. In the video, Sol's j.K comes out fast (right after the dash animation) and enabling more combos. Any tips on doing this? I've only managed to do it once after more than an hour of repetition and I don't even remember how I did it. Is it in some way related to using jump install (I'm completely new to Guilty Gear)? Or I'm just doing it late. I tried doing this:

5K > 6P > (delay) 5HS (JC) > Airdash j.K > j.D > ...

or

5K > 6P > 5HS (HJC) > Airdash j.K > j.D > ...

but I can't seem to pull it off. I think I have a problem in doing the Airdash itself. I'm looking at my inputs, it seems that I'm doing excess inputs on stick (like doing JC and airdash but has these inputs: 28966 or 1966). I can't seem to solve this problem so please help me :D.

Thanks for this thread! Learned a lot.

You have to super jump IAD to do 5HS IAD j.K. It gets you to air dash height faster.

This is not related to jump install. Jump install just gives you extra jumps when you shouldn't have them. For example, a jump install lets you super jump and then double jump, which typically isn't possible.

You have to super jump IAD to do 5HS IAD j.K. It gets you to air dash height faster.

This is not related to jump install. Jump install just gives you extra jumps when you shouldn't have them. For example, a jump install lets you super jump and then double jump, which typically isn't possible.

Thank you so much for this Kikuichimonji! I didn't know this at all and I've overlooked the mechanics of the game. Going to training mode now and practice this. Thanks again.

Yeah, that is how it works. Unfortunately DI is not invul until frame 7, which eliminates almost any scenario where you could use the invulnerability practically. (I learned that the day after uploading the vid :vbang:) It makes sense, because I don't think there's a single fully invul at frame 1 move in the game that allows YRC (curious if I'm wrong on that).

Backdash.  

Backdash.  

I think there's a lot of Overdrives that allow this, including Tyrant Rave and Slayer's Eternal Wings (I was told Eternal Wings YRC only works on whiff). However, you still lose the 50% Tension for the Overdrive on all of those options.

I think there's a lot of Overdrives that allow this, including Tyrant Rave and Slayer's Eternal Wings (I was told Eternal Wings YRC only works on whiff). However, you still lose the 50% Tension for the Overdrive on all of those options.

Yea. Same with Ky's RTL

Faust's 236236S super allows you to YRC right at the start too.  Think it even lets you do it after it's hitbox is active.

I was poking around through the match up threads and noticed a lot of 6P, (delay) 5H, BR enders in to neutral jump YRC GF.  When I started messing around with it I haven't really found that it's any better than doing plain old safe jumps though, so I'm probably doing something wrong.  Can someone elaborate on that one for me? 

Or even better, does Sol have any combos that just end with him at a safe enough distance to both get a full combo and be out of throw range for proper mix ups?  Because when I attempt to mix up off of the standard safe jump I usually just get get thrown out of of my empty jump low/throw attempts or 6P'd out of my delayed air dashes (unless it's Faust, then its just 4H'd).  I'll gladly take reduced damage in exchange for a safer and more versatile wake up game.

I was poking around through the match up threads and noticed a lot of 6P, (delay) 5H, BR enders in to neutral jump YRC GF.  When I started messing around with it I haven't really found that it's any better than doing plain old safe jumps though, so I'm probably doing something wrong.  Can someone elaborate on that one for me? 

Or even better, does Sol have any combos that just end with him at a safe enough distance to both get a full combo and be out of throw range for proper mix ups?  Because when I attempt to mix up off of the standard safe jump I usually just get get thrown out of of my empty jump low/throw attempts or 6P'd out of my delayed air dashes (unless it's Faust, then its just 4H'd).  I'll gladly take reduced damage in exchange for a safer and more versatile wake up game.

I posted about it a while ago but it's buried in gameplay discussion. Gonna add details on it to the oki thread soon. But I will summarize.

That high BR hit grants more advantage and pushback than your typical BR ender. Off a typical BR ender, you can walk back outside throw range for the neutral jump, but that takes long enough that you are passed normal meaty safejump timing (except on Sin and Chipp since they have such slow face-up wake-up). The extra advantage allows you to position yourself outside throw range and neutral jump with timing that still allows a meaty safejump. You can see a vid of the idea in the latest post by Don Blow Jon in oki thread.

Now if you've got meter to burn, why bother GF (YRC) here? Because it limits their options to either doing a reversal through GF, otherwise they have to block. They can't jump out of a empty 2K or low airdash j.S, or anti-air/throw OS, as they could if you did not GF(YRC). If they try jumping on wake-up the GF is meaty and hits them. After they block this GF, they can't jump an empty 2K, even on IB. If they try anti-air/throw OS, the 2K or airdash j.S will hit most of those (have not gone through the entire cast but Sol's 6K+HS is probably an issue). So they have to either block high, block low, or do some reversal or Dead Angle after blocking GF.

Regular BR ender > backdash > GF (YRC) grants the same advantage and mixup, but it lands you in throw range. If you simply do regular BR ender > walk back > GF (YRC), the GF is not as much advantage.

OTG 2K > GF (YRC) is the same way. Good advantage, but lands you in throw range for empty jump options.

The neutral jump in corner is the only way to have an empty jump option be safe to throws. To answer your last question, these delay 5HS > BR combos can space you out and give enough advantage to allow that. There are other variations, since that doesn't work on every character. But this oki gives the opponent the fewest options of escape. It does have a drawback, in that if they block the 2K you're farther out and pressure is weaker, especially if they FD it. But that opens them up more to WT if they insist on FDing the low. I am using this oki a lot on characters it's easy on and fond of it so far.

Basically, neutral jump outside throw range high advantage GF (YRC) limits their options most of any corner oki. And without GF (YRC), it makes it scarier for them to try anti-air/throw OS.

Do any of you guys go online to play? I really want to get some fundamentals and tech going on in battles. I can only read so much, ya know? My day 1 Sol was piss poor, but I feel I am way better now than before. XRD was announced for EVO, so I don't want to get embarrassed. ANy help would be great I've played GG since x2 and this is the first time that I really want to get into tournaments.

I have a PS4 and my PSN is Crazy_kmikaze_88