VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy 101/Q&A/FAQ Thread

So you mean walk into position (backwards), GF (YRC), then neutral jump right VR?  Because I was trying to do it in the exact order I was reading it in which would probably explain a lot.  I'll have to try replacing my the old safe jump with this neutral jump idea later.  Can't say I've seen many players use it though, guess it's harder to properly set up in match.

Also, if you want to set up online matches Kam, you'd probably be better off going to the online play sub forum.

That's correct, though you don't always have to walk backwards. On Potemkin for example I think you actually walk forward before the GF YRC. And sometimes you can stay put, depends on hurtboxes and pushback. You can tell where you need to move before GF YRC and have plenty of time to do it. Some characters 2K > 6P won't work as far range on (Millia, Chipp off top of my head, very annoying). Yeah the way I have it written in matchup threads right now is more of a name for it, not the order of inputs.

And the easiest way to see if you got the proper GF YRC timing is if empty jump 2K can be jumped on IB of the GF. If not you got the high advantage GF YRC. You can tell by how soon it connects after you jump too.

By the way, I was reviewing some Machaboo vids just a bit ago and if you check the video thread, latest set of Machaboo vs Hasegawa I-no, he does neutral jump safejump oki after practically every corner BR knockdown. He doesn't use the GF YRC but it essentially allows the same stuff he's doing while eliminating the jump out or anti air on wake-up options (both of which get blown up by meaty j.S/j.D).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxgu2fT5ptU&t=22m32s

Might have said something wrong in my last post, I think you can walk back neutral jump with safejump meaty timing off a regular BR ender. Maybe not on fast wake-up characters. I'd have to double check. I might've been thinking of VV :psyduck:

I'm having some trouble doing double dustloop consistently. I can do the first loop, I land the 3rd hit and drop the 4th. I've been trying to hit the 5H as late as possible, which helped with the first loop, as well as making sure to jump cancel it in to jD as fast as possible. If they're teching out, would it because for the 2nd loop I need to make sure to jD the 3rd time asap, similar to the first rotation? I was using Sin as a dummy to practice on.

Double D-loop can be kind of weird. If you have more than three hits before you land the first rep, hitstun decay generally won't allow you to do double Dloop.

The second rep of Dloop needs to start as late as possible. If you go for the 3rd j.D immediately after landing from the 2nd j.D, they'll probably be too high for the 4th j.D to connect, unless the first rep of Dloop started really low. You want to wait to go for second rep so they're low as possible without recovering from the 2nd j.D's hitstun. This is especially true if the opponent is a lightweight.

E.G. 5K > 6P > 5H (JC) > j.D, j.D |> (delay) j.D, j.D > j.D > Kudakero |> 6P > (delay) BR.

You can also put in a dash to help with that delay, as it can help if you've been pushed out too far from the corner after the first rep. Don't be afraid to experiment with j.D's untechable time, it's pretty long for an air normal.

([5P/2P/5K/2K/c.S > 6P > 5H > DLoop], or [airdash j.S > j.D |> 2H > Dloop] is generally what you'll be restricted to as a starter).

I'm having some trouble doing double dustloop consistently. I can do the first loop, I land the 3rd hit and drop the 4th. I've been trying to hit the 5H as late as possible, which helped with the first loop, as well as making sure to jump cancel it in to jD as fast as possible. If they're teching out, would it because for the 2nd loop I need to make sure to jD the 3rd time asap, similar to the first rotation? I was using Sin as a dummy to practice on.

Actually, if anything, you want the opposite. The opponent needs to drop slightly between the first and second reps, because the first rep usually knocks them up too high for a falling j.D on the second rep. You can either choose to not delay 5HS and just go straight into a D-Loop, or sit and wait for them to fall a little. Sometimes you can dash as a substitute for waiting.

Edit: Beaten. Welp, there you have it.

Thanks for the tutelage. I was doing it wrong when I thought I was doing it right, and vice versa. Also do I want to end combos with BR when i'm close to the ground, and VV > TO for air juggles because of the oki time from TO? Just trying to figure out which situations call for which ender.

EDIT: It's okay Final, you can have a banana sticker too :3 thank both for you.

Thanks for the tutelage. I was doing it wrong when I thought I was doing it right, and vice versa. Also do I want to end combos with BR when i'm close to the ground, and VV > TO for air juggles because of the oki time from TO? Just trying to figure out which situations call for which ender.

EDIT: It's okay Final, you can have a banana sticker too :3 thank both for you.

In general, you want the BR ender in the corner. It gives you enough advantage to walk (if necessary) out of throw range and still get safe jump set-ups or high-advantage GF YRC. After VV > TO you either safe jump from where you land (in throw range) or backdash GF YRC.

Midscreen, either choice is viable. You can get similar options from either KD. For example, if you want a cross-up jK after BR you can dash GF YRC (for meter) or GF YRC IAD or dash jK, or (meterless) 66~8 jK for a slightly ambiguous cross-up based on how far you dash. I _think_ you can 66~8 jS or jH safe jump, too. I'm relatively certain for slower reversals than VV, but I'm not sure about VV. 

Next question: How do I land Fafnir consistently? In the corner I do Wild Throw > jD > Falling jD > Fafnir > stuff and it lands fine. If I do c.S/5K/etc > 6P > delay 5HS> Dustloop > delay Fafnir, Fafnir doesn't always hit cleanly. I always see people trying to land it in real matches and they drop it as well. Is it a timing or positioning thing? 

Depends on the character's weight and hitbox, plus the juggle that you used to start the combo.

Against average weight characters (Sol, Axl, Slayer, etc) you shouldn't delay the HS after the 6P, otherwise they float to high for the Fafnir to land consistently after the DL rep.

Depending on the situation, you also have to delay the Fafnir as much as possible after the last j.D to catch them as low as possible.

On heavier characters (Potemkin, Bedman) it's much more lenient and consistent.

Try different juggles (c.S, 6P / K, c.S, 6P / iad.S, j.K, c.S, 6P) and experiment what adjustments are necessary depending on the character's weight/hitbox.

Depends on the character's weight and hitbox, plus the juggle that you used to start the combo.

Against average weight characters (Sol, Axl, Slayer, etc) you shouldn't delay the HS after the 6P, otherwise they float to high for the Fafnir to land consistently after the DL rep.

Depending on the situation, you also have to delay the Fafnir as much as possible after the last j.D to catch them as low as possible.

On heavier characters (Potemkin, Bedman) it's much more lenient and consistent.

Try different juggles (c.S, 6P / K, c.S, 6P / iad.S, j.K, c.S, 6P) and experiment what adjustments are necessary depending on the character's weight/hitbox.

Against the average weight chars you can delay the 5H almost as long as possible and ever so slightly delay the Fafnir (basically don't do it as soon as you land) and it will connect. You need to do it this way if you're attempting 5k/2k-6p outside of throw range which should be almost all of the time.

Only with Instant Kill Mode (Gold), to my knowledge. Instant Kill Mode activation is too slow otherwise. Ky gets pretty close though. If he backdashes the rising part of Grand Viper, Sol will be in landing recovery during Rising Force's super freeze, but Rising Force has too many post-super freeze start-up frames to connect.

Against the average weight chars you can delay the 5H almost as long as possible and ever so slightly delay the Fafnir (basically don't do it as soon as you land) and it will connect. You need to do it this way if you're attempting 5k/2k-6p outside of throw range which should be almost all of the time.

I started practicing it at that range instead of deep and Fafnir lands a LOT more consistently. If I'm in too deep Fafnir doesn't hit right. I thought I should mention this for anyone else who reads the board looking for help.

Disregard.

I started practicing it at that range instead of deep and Fafnir lands a LOT more consistently. If I'm in too deep Fafnir doesn't hit right. I thought I should mention this for anyone else who reads the board looking for help.

How doesn't it hit right? I do it this way at all ranges and it works fine on those chars Fafnir works for. Which character did you try it on?

How doesn't it hit right? I do it this way at all ranges and it works fine on those chars Fafnir works for. Which character did you try it on?

I did it deep on Sin (phrasing!)  and it doesn't always hit. If I'm back just a little bit it'll hit all the time.

I got it. I think when I was trying it I was just tired and messing up the timing constantly. Dashing in seems to change it I think because if you don't dash, it pushes you out slightly so Fafnir hits? IDK I'm still trying to figure it out.

I did it deep on Sin (phrasing!)  and it doesn't always hit. If I'm back just a little bit it'll hit all the time.

I got it. I think when I was trying it I was just tired and messing up the timing constantly. Dashing in seems to change it I think because if you don't dash, it pushes you out slightly so Fafnir hits? IDK I'm still trying to figure it out.

Yeah, you're right about Sin. So best practice is gonna be to not delay 5H at point blank, and max delay otherwise, just in case of weird hitboxes.

Yeah, you're right about Sin. So best practice is gonna be to not delay 5H at point blank, and max delay otherwise, just in case of weird hitboxes.

I sent you a private message if you'd like to help me explore this a bit further without clogging up the forums. Then I can make a more comprehensive post about it.

I'm still having a problem doing dustloop :(

It seems really hard to get the first jump d out in time, because I often do it too early and my cr hs chains into stand d

It seems really hard to get the first jump d out in time, because I often do it too early and my cr hs chains into stand d

I had this problem at first as well. Try doing standing HS instead to get a better feel for the timing. Once you do that, 2HS is a lot easier.

You're probably inputing the jump wrong. Sounds like you're getting jump install instead of jump cancel. That happens if you want to jump cancel a move and do another move that follows in the gatling, but press jump to early and the second move right after that. Try to delay the time you press up a little bit and hit dust the very instant you do that.

Of course, jump installs have their own use, but not in this situation.

Also, do it with 5HS, as Hollysmoke mentioned. 2HS is good if you want to loop in a situation where you're not sure 5HS will connect, but in your typical c.S>6P combos, 5HS is easier to use and doesn't prorate (am I right here? IIRC 2HS has 90%).

You're probably inputing the jump wrong. Sounds like you're getting jump install instead of jump cancel. That happens if you want to jump cancel a move and do another move that follows in the gatling, but press jump to early and the second move right after that. Try to delay the time you press up a little bit and hit dust the very instant you do that.

Of course, jump installs have their own use, but not in this situation.

Also, do it with 5HS, as Hollysmoke mentioned. 2HS is good if you want to loop in a situation where you're not sure 5HS will connect, but in your typical c.S>6P combos, 5HS is easier to use and doesn't prorate (am I right here? IIRC 2HS has 90%).

Righto. 2HS is better to use if you're dashing in deep and plan to use Fafnir after one loop rotation. It pushes you back ever so slightly that hitting the hurtbox of some characters is more consistent. 

What corner dustloop combo do you guys use against Zato? His hurtbox seems like it has an awkward angle so Kudakero and VV don't always land properly. Trying to figure out something optimal, been using 5K > 6P > 5HS > 1 rep loop > Dash jK > jD > Kick > VV.

What corner dustloop combo do you guys use against Zato? His hurtbox seems like it has an awkward angle so Kudakero and VV don't always land properly. Trying to figure out something optimal, been using 5K > 6P > 5HS > 1 rep loop > Dash jK > jD > Kick > VV.

Fafnir combo works fine on Zato if you delay 5HS or you can use delay 2HS instead to make it more consistent at higher proration.

Fafnir combo works fine on Zato if you delay 5HS or you can use delay 2HS instead to make it more consistent at higher proration.

That it does. Thanks for helping me solve that mystery.