VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy 101/Q&A/FAQ Thread

Speaking of 5D, anything good off CH 5D in the corner? The wall splat seems to make it so you can't hit with 6HS but you can with some other things. I've figured out some stuff but nothing breaking 200.

You can get a 5D > 6HS on everybody (I'm pretty sure) after a backdash.

Doing the basic corner 5D combo the game teaches you in the challenges nets you the same damage and is somewhat easier though.

Doing the basic corner 5D combo the game teaches you in the challenges nets you the same damage and is somewhat easier though.

You can't do that combo after a CH 5D, the CH messes up the wallslide. I tested some stuff but I don't have any good universal combos. I think you can react to the CH after a backdash and dash up 5HS 2HS > BB > normal combo, but 5HS whiffs on Faust, for example. I think that you can just go straight into Fafnir > Gunflame > 2HS (jc) > j.D j.D > run jump j.S j.D (jc) j.S j.D > VV > KD, but I haven't tested since last week. I'll look up stuff tomorrow.

No you can't because when you do a regular 5D, they'll wall-splat and begin sliding downwards ever so slightly. During that slide you can hit them with a 6HS (which is why you have to delay it). However during the CH 5D, they'll just stick to the wall but for a lot longer so its impossible to do the regular 5D 6HS combo.

Against most characters, doing 5HS > 2HS after the wall stick will suffice. In the case of characters that let you perform a relatively late combo air hit 6P > 6HS > HS Volcanic Viper -> Tataki Otoshi, it is in fact optimal to do so, damage wise.

(corner) (CH) 5D > Homing Dash > 5HS > 2HS > Bandit Bringer, Fafnir, Bandit Bringer, dash 2HS (JC) > j.D > Kudakero |> 6P > 6HS  > HS Volcanic Viper -> Tataki Otoshi [186/49%]

You can of course choose to end the combo with Bandit Revolver instead.

Against Faust, your options depend on whether you dash or backdash out of the 5D. If you backdash, c.S, f.S, 2S and 5HS all whiff, so an easy alternative is simply to dash 5K > 5HS > Bandit Bringer, which'll get you slightly more than going straight into Fafnir. If you forward dash, it's possible to land Bandit Bringer immediately and then continue from there. Doing so will net you about 170 damage using the above route. The nice thing about this particular combo is that it works from really far away from the corner, with the opponent at roughly P1 starting position. The wall stick is in fact completely superfluous. For that reason, it's your ideal mid-screen CH 5D combo on pretty much anyone it'll land on provided you can confirm the Counter Hit in time, although you may need to alter the ender as necessary.

Against most characters, doing 5HS > 2HS after the wall stick will suffice. In the case of characters that let you perform a relatively late combo air hit 6P > 6HS > HS Volcanic Viper -> Tataki Otoshi, it is in fact optimal to do so, damage wise.

(corner) (CH) 5D > Homing Dash > 5HS > 2HS > Bandit Bringer, Fafnir, Bandit Bringer, dash 2HS (JC) > j.D > Kudakero |> 6P > 6HS  > HS Volcanic Viper -> Tataki Otoshi [186/49%]

You can of course choose to end the combo with Bandit Revolver instead.

Against Faust, your options depend on whether you dash or backdash out of the 5D. If you backdash, c.S, f.S, 2S and 5HS all whiff, so an easy alternative is simply to dash 5K > 5HS > Bandit Bringer, which'll get you slightly more than going straight into Fafnir. If you forward dash, it's possible to land Bandit Bringer immediately and then continue from there. Doing so will net you about 170 damage using the above route. The nice thing about this particular combo is that it works from really far away from the corner, with the opponent at roughly P1 starting position. The wall stick is in fact completely superfluous. For that reason, it's your ideal mid-screen CH 5D combo on pretty much anyone it'll land on provided you can confirm the Counter Hit in time, although you may need to alter the ender as necessary.

How do I land the 2nd BB? I've seen plenty of combos with this but I can't ever seem to do it. I tried taking a step back and it still misses. I just use a variation thats 172. Less damage but it's better than not having an option.

How do I land the 2nd BB? I've seen plenty of combos with this but I can't ever seem to do it. I tried taking a step back and it still misses. I just use a variation thats 172. Less damage but it's better than not having an option.

It's character specific. I know it works on Zato, Slayer, and Sol at least. You have to time the Fafnir to hit them fairly high in the air, and then you just immediately do Bandit Bringer.

It's character specific. I know it works on Zato, Slayer, and Sol at least. You have to time the Fafnir to hit them fairly high in the air, and then you just immediately do Bandit Bringer.

Alright, good to know. I'll mess around a bit with that then. Sorry for all the questions guys, thanks for answering them :B

I'm having trouble nailing "5K(1), 2D, BR" after "air dash, j.S, j.HS". I get "5K(2), 2D..." way too often because it's hard to find one dependable rhythm for this combo.

j.HS hits differently depending on where it connects, and having to mash K right after so his kick will combo really throws me off. I feel like this is something I could spend hours on in training mode and still mess up half the time in actual play.

Is this a very important skill to have? Do you guys find "5K(2), 2D, GF" an acceptable alternative? I guess this does lose the oki...

Open to all suggestions/criticisms. Thank you.

I'm having trouble nailing "5K(1), 2D, BR" after "air dash, j.S, j.HS". I get "5K(2), 2D..." way too often because it's hard to find one dependable rhythm for this combo.

j.HS hits differently depending on where it connects, and having to mash K right after so his kick will combo really throws me off. I feel like this is something I could spend hours on in training mode and still mess up half the time in actual play.

Is this a very important skill to have? Do you guys find "5K(2), 2D, GF" an acceptable alternative? I guess this does lose the oki...

Open to all suggestions/criticisms. Thank you.

It would be better to not cancel 2D at all than to do 2D GF in that case because the Gunflame will OTG.

Yes, that combo is important. The trick is to not rely on a rhythm, but rather rely on the screen's feedback because the timing can be slightly different based on how high the air dash was. Depending on height, you might be able to get a microdash before 5K for consistency, or you might need to 5K immediately. Look at how high your j.H hits and adjust your timing to compensate.

It would be better to not cancel 2D at all than to do 2D GF in that case because the Gunflame will OTG.

Yes, that combo is important. The trick is to not rely on a rhythm, but rather rely on the screen's feedback because the timing can be slightly different based on how high the air dash was. Depending on height, you might be able to get a microdash before 5K for consistency, or you might need to 5K immediately. Look at how high your j.H hits and adjust your timing to compensate.

I'd also like to add that a good way to rely on the screen's feedback is to watch the moment when Sol's feet hit the ground; gauge your spacing and immediately decide if you need to microdash 5K or not. One of Sol's challenges also does a good job of teaching you how to do this combo.

Fuzzy Question Part 2: After studying the video and going on Raiden's explanation of it, I was trying to recreate this in training. Everytime I hit it though, the dummy blocked it twice. I freezed the frame on my end and compared it to Sendu's video just to make sure I was hitting deep enough correctly. What should I be doing exactly to practice this? I get the hurtbox shift from blocking low to high due to the guardstun but I'm still :psyduck:

Was dummy set to block and switch on 2nd? The best way to test any mixup is making Sol the dummy and recording it against yourself so try that way if you didn't.

And don't worry about it all that much if you aren't getting it consistently, it's honestly not very practical. The only fuzzy that is close to being 100% practical and useful is the situational dash jump fuzzy j.K on Zato in corner because you get free combo on hit and safe, good pressure on block. Any others are very bad if blocked (you waste 50% for weak pressure or get punished if you didn't have 50%) and all are hard to input properly every time. (Not including early j.HS>j.P/j.K btw)

Was dummy set to block and switch on 2nd? The best way to test any mixup is making Sol the dummy and recording it against yourself so try that way if you didn't.

And don't worry about it all that much if you aren't getting it consistently, it's honestly not very practical. The only fuzzy that is close to being 100% practical and useful is the situational dash jump fuzzy j.K on Zato in corner because you get free combo on hit and safe, good pressure on block. Any others are very bad if blocked (you waste 50% for weak pressure or get punished if you didn't have 50%) and all are hard to input properly every time. (Not including early j.HS>j.P/j.K btw)

No but that's good to know. I figured it might be good to hold onto as a gimmick for once in a blue moon. I'll definitely try out the Zato one though.

EDIT: Yup it was the block switching. I thought I had it on but it wasn't. Thanks Raiden!

Heyyo. Going to a tournament tomorrow, gonna try busting out my Sol this time around. Anyone got any advice they can give me on bad habits you guys usually see Sol players do that I should try and avoid (or any sagely advice in general?)

Stupid shit I do:
- 2D on opponent's wakeup

- In corner, punish airtech read with HVV, then when I sense an FD I airthrow lol

- Bandit bringer
- Fafnir 4 times in a row

- Low profile opponent's fafnir/ other moves from 3/4 screen with grand viper

That said, this is GG.  If it works, do it.

Stupid shit I do:

- 2D on opponent's wakeup

- In corner, punish airtech read with HVV, then when I sense an FD I airthrow lol

- Bandit bringer

- Fafnir 4 times in a row

- Low profile opponent's fafnir/ other moves from 3/4 screen with grand viper

That said, this is GG. If it works, do it.

I believe that you are, in fact, me. Only if you connect the 2D, you obviously have to do Tyrant Rave > full corner combo.

In my experience, 2D on wakeup is a pretty strong meaty with decent range. It's useful for people who are inconsistent with Reversals.

Stupid shit I do: - In corner, punish airtech read with HVV, then when I sense an FD I airthrow lol

Wait so... is this good? Or are there better/safer options depending on the situation? o:

Wait so... is this good? Or are there better/safer options depending on the situation? o:

It's not good, but fun - if your opponent notoriously doesn't FD on the way down in the corner an HSVV can catch him of guard. Then, once he's decided to FD to avoid getting hit again, just throw them. It's one of those things - not really good options, but effective ways to punish your opponent's poor play. 

Ah, OK, that's what I kinda thought he meant. I'm guessin' following them with a jump attack --> combo is the thing to do then.

Anti air H volcanic viper is very strong in the corner because it leads to a huge corner combo on counter-hit. Depending on their height, they can't punish you too hard on block anyway.

Anti-airing them with 6P is safer, but if they air dash out of the corner, they escape. Meeting them air to air beats most of their options, but only leads to a bit of damage and knockdown unless you can confirm into Break.