VR-Raiden

[Xrd] Sol Badguy 101/Q&A/FAQ Thread

Anti air H volcanic viper is very strong in the corner because it leads to a huge corner combo on counter-hit. Depending on their height, they can't punish you too hard on block anyway.

Anti-airing them with 6P is safer, but if they air dash out of the corner, they escape. Meeting them air to air beats most of their options, but only leads to a bit of damage and knockdown unless you can confirm into Break.

What do you follow up with on the anti air VV? I usually do 6P so I'm familiar with that particular chain route but I always thought you have to RC to get anything out of VV.

What do you follow up with on the anti air VV? I usually do 6P so I'm familiar with that particular chain route but I always thought you have to RC to get anything out of VV.

He's talking about the Counter Hit of VV's last hit. It's untechable until they reach the ground and you can go for the basic double j.D rep into Fafnir corner BnB.

He's talking about the Counter Hit of VV's last hit. It's untechable until they reach the ground and you can go for the basic double j.D rep into Fafnir corner BnB.

Welp. Thanks for that. It's a little janky to get a feel for the height since you can't see your character. Definitely have to feel it out. I just opted to do [AA] HS VV > Fafnir > stuff instead of jD into Fafnir. Since they can't tech you can catch them on the way down and it's a little easier to feel out. I get 194 damage with VV > TO Ender and 195 with 6P > BR ender.

1 Hit H VV > dashing 2H (jc) > j.D j.D > Fafnir > dash 6P 5H (jc) > j.D Break > 6P Bandit Revolver does like 220 from what I remember.

1 Hit H VV > dashing 2H (jc) > j.D j.D > Fafnir > dash 6P 5H (jc) > j.D Break > 6P Bandit Revolver does like 220 from what I remember.

This combo got me into Top 8s. Would use mid screen variations of it but Millia army really likes jumping a lot. *Thumbs up*

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice folks. I was just wondering, how exactly do yo guys set up WT and what exactly is the spacing to landing WT?

This combo got me into Top 8s. Would use mid screen variations of it but Millia army really likes jumping a lot. *Thumbs up*

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice folks. I was just wondering, how exactly do yo guys set up WT and what exactly is the spacing to landing WT?

http://cdn.wiki.4gamer.net/files/attachment/000/031/362/upload.jpg

Here's exact WT range. 

http://wiki.4gamer.net/ggxrd/%E5%9F%BA%E7%A4%8E%E3%83%87%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BF%E4%B8%80%E8%A6%A7

You can compare it to other ranges and regular throw range here at the bottom. 

My setups for WT include:

- simple 2P tick throw: approach with 2P once or twice (twice will make it really hard to land if your opponent FD's) and just run in after them and grab as soon as in range. Loses to timed pokes, fast long range normals or throw invul moves. 

- 2S tick throw: not as expected and obvious as 2P throw and pretty advantageous. requires you to slightly delay WT compared to 2P

- Fafnir YRC WT: no one ever sees it coming, haha. It's a great way to finish off your opponent once they're cornered and barely alive. Encourage them to block your Fafnir, or better yet, Blitz Shield it with corner pressure, use the movement of Fafnir to approach rapidly and YRC>WT. Not really worth it if you're not really in need of that hit and knockdown, cause the proration of YRC and WT add together, making your follow-up combo pretty weak. 

- 5HS instant air dash j.S>j.K (whiff)l>WT: "The Machaboo", as I like to call it. The 5HS is not necessary, but it helps space and set it up. You need to air dash just far enough so your j.S hits, but j.K whiffs, so the blockstun (and post-blockstun) throw protection ends and you can WT away. Doesn't work on Faust IIRC. 

- post-knockdown empty jump WT: pretty self-explanatory, not very safe, but can catch your opponent for blocking on wakeup.

Generally in my experience every time you get your opponent to honestly fear letting go of their block, you've got them with WT. While WT proration hurts your combos, even if your opponent blocks the 5HS IAD setup, the follow-up corner Dustloop goes to up 180-something damage. Of course if they FD this doesn't factor into the follow-up, but I feel like taking their meter is still payoff enough. Any time you get your opponent on the defense (in the corner even more so) it's a gamble from them with FD - put their HP on the line increasing RISC level or lose the resources needed for a comeback. It's a great dynamic and every time you can really exploit it with WT will make them hopeless and possibly without resources.  

j.P and j.K link after it if you're high enough, and you can convert to a Dloop if they're airborne, and you have dash momentum or you're close enough to the corner. Otherwise, you just want to do HVV and get the knockdown.

If they're grounded and you're too high when the j.H recovers to link a grounded normal, you can do the same link, then continue the combo when you land.

Examples.

Against grounded opponents:

j.H, (j.P/j.K) |> 5K c.S 2D BR

j.H, (j.P/j.K) |> (5K/c.S) 6P, 5H HJIAD [j.K j.D] or [j.P j.H] HVV

(near corner) j.H, (j.P/j.K) |> (5K/c.S) 6P, 5H HJIAD j.K j.D Break |> 6P, BR/6H/HVV

Against airborne opponents midscreen:

j.H, j.K dj.K/H/D HVV

j.H, j.P HVV

With dash momentum or near the corner:

j.H, j.K dj.D, falling j.D |> dash j.D, j.K dj.D Break |> 6P, 6H/BR/HVV

j.H, j.K (slight delay) dj.D, falling j.D |> dash j.D dj.D, falling j.D |> dash j.D dj.D Break |> 6P, 6H/B/HVV (this combo is kind of tight on timing so you might not want to risk going for the second D.Loop reps)

Anyone got any conversion suggestions I can do off janky j.H hits?

Dont really get what you mean by "janky", but here are some meterless examples:

airhit j.HS> VV (any situation, really)

airhit j.HS |> 5K (JC)> air combo (when you're close to the ground and lands in time)

airhit j.HS |> hj.P> j.K etc (same situation as the previous example, but for when 5K wont hit)

airhit j.HS> j.K> j.D (JC)> j.D> j.D |> Fafnir etc (close to the corner, high hitting j.HS)

Got ninja'd by Kaizen, but it's important to mention it twice probably haha

Like when you hit at an odd angle you don't necessarily expect to hit. I've usually just been j.HS > VV but I was wondering if anyone had more optimal combos. Thanks.

Got a question about RC's:

Why is it that whenever I do a combo/guard string with Sol in to Gunflame, if all the hits before it were blocked, the Gunflame comes out as an RC instead of YRC?

Am I timing it wrong?  Or does it have to do with something else?  Just seems like the Gunflame should be YRC'd if it's by itself.

Got a question about RC's:

Why is it that whenever I do a combo/guard string with Sol in to Gunflame, if all the hits before it were blocked, the Gunflame comes out as an RC instead of YRC?

Am I timing it wrong?  Or does it have to do with something else?  Just seems like the Gunflame should be YRC'd if it's by itself.

They are either still in blockstun or the gunflame is connecting in the blockstring. Either way it'll RC. You have to wait for them to come out of blockstun/hitstun if you want to YRC gunflame. If you're in a neutral state and the opponent is still in hitstun or blockstun, it'll still RC.

I was doing one of the Challenges for Sol which was "c.S, 6P, 5H(JC), j.D, fall j.D, j.K, j.D(JC), j.D, Kudakero, VV". I had trouble landing the fourth and final j.D. If I did land it, I was pushed too far for the following Kudakero to hit. Sometimes I notice myself jumping "too vertically" in the initial dustloop and the enemy flying too high. I noticed that in the Sample clip, Sol did a short dash before jumping into his j.K. Can this dash save the combo in case I jump awkwardly? Maybe I'm JC'ing into the last j.D too late causing me to miss/fly too far.

Better yet, does hitting the first j.D asap in a dustloop create that low jumping arc I see that seems to make consistent combos?

Tried my best to word my question; I haven't been very involved in the game for a while. :( (sorry)

You must include a microdash after falling j.D and before j.K for this to work. You don't need to run for long, it'll be enough if you just input 669 very quickly.

Pretty sure this sort of stuff has been around since #Reload and before. I don't remember seeing it with Slayer's 2H, but it's come up before. It doesn't tend to affect much unless it happens to work against something that's relatively easy to react to (e.g. Baiken's dash brake against Potemkin's Slide Head). No one's going to see Slayer's 2H and react in time with a dash brake.

It works against all lows in the game I've tested againt so far, as noted in the info below. It's just that it was only recorded vs Slayer 2HS and 2D. It's easy to recreate so I can record it against all lows in the game if it helps get the point across.

And it's not really "usable" in the sense that you can blow up lows on purpose with it but if you unintentially pass through lows that was supposed to hit you and for that reason you clutch the win... it's just something that's big enough to be addressed imo. 

It works against all lows in the game I've tested againt so far, as noted in the info below. It's just that it was only recorded vs Slayer 2HS and 2D. It's easy to recreate so I can record it against all lows in the game if it helps get the point across.

And it's not really "usable" in the sense that you can blow up lows on purpose with it but if you unintentially pass through lows that was supposed to hit you and for that reason you clutch the win... it's just something that's big enough to be addressed imo.

Also, I don't think it's a bug. They haven't fixed it in any of the past games. And against anything other than lows, dash brake is pretty bad.

EDIT: Did as small amount of testing, and this looks like it works better against some moves than others. Against Slayer's 2H or Chipp's 2K, it seems be relatively easy to get the move to whiff. But against other moves, it's much harder (Sol's 2K), or even impossible (every sweep I tried). Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It doesn't work on lows with higher reaching hitboxes (Sol and Millia 2D are examples that come to mind). It is pretty nice when it saves you when going for WT if they like using low pokes to stop it. I know for a fact it dodges Venom 2K for example, where that's his fastest normal. I also had it win me sets vs Elphelt going for 2K to stop it recently.

But yeah not a huuuge deal, something nice that can happen sometimes though, moreso if you can make note of when they like using the low pokes it dodges.

I'm very new to competitive Guilty Gear and only played a little competitive BlazBlue. What should I know about playing as Sol?