Digital Watches

[Xrd] Axl Gameplay Discussion

2mr8ig5.jpg

That image above is a link to Axl's command list from the general news thread.

This thread is for any info anyone gleans from loketests, videos, or talking to people with access to said.

As the game becomes more developed, I'll archive this thread and make more specific ones.

Post anything whatsoever related to Axl in XRD here until the game comes out somewhere or we otherwise get enough information to warrant enforcing some thread-differentiation rules.

Edited by Digital Watches

I've collected almost all the information I could find about Xrd changes. There were too few reports about Axl, though Venom players has no reports since 1 loketest, lol. What I got so far:

Cinematic on Byakuerenshou (2363214H)

No H Raieisaigeki (63214H) and 623Р specials

New stance Haitaka no Kamae (63214H), has several long range follow-up here:

1. P - High

2. K - Middle

3. S - Low

4. H - Cancel

High/Mid/Low - trajectory. It sorta looks like rensen with flames. You can see this move in arcade opening at the end. No info about start-up, recovery.

New overdrive Kairagi Yakou (214214S) has similar animation with rensen, but pull opponent back at the end. Again, no info there.

Rashousen ([4]~6H) slower, not fullscreen. Probably no cancel since it's not in movelist. Looks like we've got #R rashousen. Crap.

Axl Bomber (j.623H) #R style. Bomberloop was possible in 2nd loketest, no info in 3rd.

All chains do 2 hits (AC style, 3P still 1 hit move). But in the video for some reason I never saw 2nd hit of 2P even without cancel. That mean one of those possibilities:

1. Chains could be 1 hit (AC+R style)

2. Second hit of 2P has crappy hitbox

3. Some chains are 1 hit moves

3P #R style. 1 hit, launch too low on CH (again, #R style)

I'm kinda worried about Axl in this game... maybe I'm just paranoid, it seems like a lot of the nice stuff from +R is gone.

Also, no Kokuu Geki? I wonder what combos will look like now...

Like they used to in #R j.k, j.hs, j.d, bomber if you're talking about the standard rensen frc gatling.

Just accept that the game is going back to how it was in #Reload which is kind of a shame since AC/#R+ made Axl'x gameplay more fluid, but a bit easier in general. At least they are keeping the 2 hit chains on some of Axl's normals except 3P from what I've seen.

I'm really curious about the new stance and if it'll end up useful.

I'm wondering what super-rensen or sparrow~rensens do on aerial hit.

I'm thinking sparrow~rensens might end up being a way to get knockdown off a lot of things, but it really depends on the properties. It might even be a vector for certain combos (Though I kind of doubt it). It could also give Axl some actual zoning capabilities if it's fast enough and covers a nice collective set of spaces. Having more things to throw out that can't get hit would be awesome. I'm also still curious how fast the total animation for sparrow~cancel is. If it's even something like 12-15 frames it would be a very useful pressure tool, which is a lot of what we might be losing from the rollback of Slash/AC/+R buffs Axl got.

Also, if we're getting the #R DP back, then that's a huge buff to Axl's ability to get out of pressure, since it'd be full-body invuln.

according to shuuto, axl is dumb as fuck this time

rensengeki was nerfed but bentengari got buffed into outer space

they reduced the recovery on bentengari and probably has full body invuln, made the animation more subtle while still having a gigantic hitbox and untechable knockdown sending them 70-80% of the screen away

which leads into the haitaka stance bullshit, he seems to be able to cancel into at least 6 stance attacks consecutively(ex. haitaka>mid>high>low>high>low>low)

blitz shield effectively renders his 6hs and raieisageki useless as you can counter them on reaction

IRC at second loketest using follow-ups in Haitaka sent Axl back to that stance rather than neutral.

BS (blitz shield, not a bullshit) seems make Axl gameplay more.. interesting. You can throw slow moves, opponent can BS them, you can YRC and punish him. I wonder, can BS be YRC'ed.

Also it seems like BS has 1F activation, like old 623P. So probably Axl defence is better now (with that Benten)

Edited by Horokei

God people are going to hate this character. Huge DP into artillery-mode stance all day? Also, I haven't heard anything about Blitz Shield so far that makes me like the mechanic. Hopefully that'll change, but it sounds kinda like a very dumbed-down parry mechanic.

Well even with slashback around doing 6HS was a risk so I guess it'll be the same way this time, but with a lot more moves that end up unsafe.

Maybe the penalty for missing a BS will be bigger then it was with slashbacks?

On the other hand BS might become really useful for Axl since he always had problems with defence, but with such mechanic avialable I really don't understand all those buffs to his DP.

It's a bummer that his Hachisubako, Kokuu Geki, H Raiei Sageki, and the cancel on Rashousen are gone :sad: . Downward version of the Axl bomber too, but we at least get back the old Axl Bomber loop. Hopefully the new stance moves will make up for them, which they sound awesome so far from the last location test.

Wonder why they couldn't just add in the feint on Rashousen since we're losing to mind game that we had with it. I wondered if Rashousen can be YRC to make up for that or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34qZNepLaA

Second match is Axl vs Venom. Иngrish below

Haitaka is ridiculous. Startup is slow, but those "rensen" follow-ups are fast enough. Axl is able to cancel "rensen" into "rensen" like 5-6 times. It's a combo btw. Range is better than all pokes Axl have. Though those "rensens" has a Dhalsim syndrome and collide with Venom balls.

Benten has new animation and blowback+knockdown on hit. It seems like legit DP move: full invul that covers entire startup

Rashousen is cancellable into PRC on whiff. This looks really nice but require 50%.

Edited by Horokei

Wow, this video made me stop being skeptical about Axl almost instantly. That stance move is crazy! That axl player just needed to anti air more and all those matches would have been pretty one sided.

That stance looks so scruby ;p I'm pretty sure you won't be able to spam it like that against a decent player.

Rashousen has a new animation which cought me by surprise and the old #R combos are back - that's nice. Although I'd like to finally see someone perform the old bomber loop.

In the end it seems like this Axl is a good mix between what we got in #R and AC with a sprinkle of new shiny toys to play with.

Yeah for as crazy good and braindead those stance attacks look, I haven't seen any attack that reaches super jump height. Seems pretty reasonable for an opponent to react to the stance and SJ over it all for a punish, or even an invincible super.

That DP tho.

EDIT: Never mind, there was one instance of a stance attack that reached the top right corner of the screen

Edited by Mo the Hawk

So, when it comes to Axl in Xrd, did he lose some of his close-ranged Specials for more long-ranged options? Because that new Stance, albeit likely isn't as spammable as shown in the current videos, is ridiculous! Not to mention his new/re-tuned DP. Are they actually trying to make him a bit more of a zoner now. I wonder?

That's what it seems like, though his close game got better too honestly. You've still got rashousen feint, it's just a PRC or whatever, which is fair. DP looks like it recovers super quick. I've seen it get punished on IB but not on normal guard. Also we got gimmicks like 6H YRC throw. Axl doesn't seem as strong compared to other characters as in +R, but he's definitely got some tools. Stance seems kind of clumsy in some matchups, but I agree that it makes him look like a lot more of a zoning-oriented character.

CH 6H has bounce

5P is 1 hit like 2P. 5P can be canceled into 6K

2P can be canceled into 6H

214P/K can be RCed on hit.

Rensen RC has a huge blockstun

His IK shows that he is cool guy who doesn't look back at explosion

Edited by Horokei

Sadly it seems that throw into Rensen no longer leads to a knockdown.

EDIT: Finally saw someone do a bomber loop - was something like: gatling into rensen, RC, run all the way to the corner, 5S, 2S (2 hit), TK Bomber, 5S, 2S, TK Bomber. The initial rensen was further away from the corner, but the RC time stop gave him enough time to ran all the way into in for a follow up.

Edited by Epic

Yeah, I'm actually liking a lot of the implications universal RC seems to have. In particular, I'm wondering if there's anything that *isn't* a confirm from RC. For example, we've seen lots of sparrow x n combos so far, but can you do sparrow (RC) run up BLoop? Is it more damage? Also very good to know that 2P-6H is still a chain, since that's a +R change.

What is the limiter on his new stance? Is it like 6 attacks or is it a time limit?

From what I have seen, it seems like what you wanna do if that shit is raining down on you is either just block low until it is over or try to jump/iad right after blocking the low, because it seems like the followups after the low are all duckable. I guess if you start jumping, Axl is just going to hesitate and get you with a different angle after the low.

Some Axl gameplay A-Cho footage

0:05-18:09, 42:56-51:14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuFWeppx1AE

01:50 His Raiei Sageki doesn't ground slide anymore, just pops them up like in #reload.

14:26 Looks we can't follow up into a combo after a successful catch with Tenhou Seki anymore, because of Axl putting back on bandana animation reason.

48:50 A none counter confirming hit from the ground on Haitaka no Kamae stance attacks may combo up 4-6 times before they recover.

Edited by HeWhoRocksAlot

-Rashousen looks really weak now, doesn't hit as high up and seems like it takes longer to start up, or maybe just has a less ambiguous-looking animation. Either way, it's back to severe gimmick-status.

-5P not pulling back is a huge nerf as well (Does it still chain into 6K? If not, combos from it are probably going to be rare). I'm betting the answer is "Don't bother using 5P most of the time". Get a little more confident in tagging them with 6K or 2S, or just wait 'til they're closer and go for a DP.

-It looks like a lot of JP Axls are trying to confirm into kokuugeki still (And dropping stuff because it doesn't exist), so I think we'll start seeing more damage once they're used to #R style combos again. I wish I had the game in front of me so I could do some science about stance-cancels and TKB combos.

-SO SALTY the stance-attacks have hurtboxes. Though I guess they might be pretty broke if that weren't the case, but give us something here, arcsys.

-It's annoying that we don't have 623P anymore, as that was basically the only solution to "You're stuck in an animation and a bomb's going off," and now your options are like... JC and faultless if you're in a JCable part of the combo, or RC... maybe super?

-Venom matchup looks pretty bad, though that's no surprise.

Thanks a ton for finding so much footage! Your name don't lie, Sir RocksALot

-Rashousen looks really weak now, doesn't hit as high up and seems like it takes longer to start up, or maybe just has a less ambiguous-looking animation. Either way, it's back to severe gimmick-status.

It went back to #R status. Old rensen frc rashou now probably better cuz slowdown bur require 50%. Actually I think there will be more setups with rc rashou like ...5H rc rashou or ..6H rc rashou.

-5P not pulling back is a huge nerf as well (Does it still chain into 6K? If not, combos from it are probably going to be rare). I'm betting the answer is "Don't bother using 5P most of the time". Get a little more confident in tagging them with 6K or 2S, or just wait 'til they're closer and go for a DP.

I actually think that 5P is better that AC but worse than AC+R 5P. Cuz in AC u can't even combo 5P into anything at mid-far range even on CH. Now CH 5P has huge untech like #R so probably old 5P rensen combos are possible. Also it can be cancelled into 6K but it's hard to combo afterward.

It will be good if all Axl's pokes go to #R status in term of speed. In AC and onward they all 2f slower

Yeah, more untech is good. I wonder how viable something like 5P-6K-TKB is at mid-range? Also, still wondering about how fast the stance-transition is. Will CH 5P-(Stance-H) > whatever work, or is it going to be more like 5P-Rensen (RC) > Whatever?

I think Axl can do something like bla-bla-bla rensen rc haitaka. If you look closely when Axl cancels rensen on hit opponent stucks in slowed hitstop (not even hitstun) of rensen.

Pre-Xrd rensen frc was +32 (15f of hitstop + 18f of blockstun - 1f of frc) on block I think.

According to FAB reports about new RC this +32 on block will be +52 in Xrd and even more on hit. And this calculation doesn't even concider the fact that hitstops in Xrd are HUUUGE.

I wonder how viable something like 5P-6K-TKB is at mid-range?

I saw 5P 6K combo several times. Usually 6K hits too far away so even 2S whiffs. TKB probably whiffs too. I think sj.6P Bomber or RC Haitaka could work here though.

Edited by Horokei