Digital Watches

[Xrd] Axl Gameplay Discussion

This is a good day to be an Axl player. With these buffs I believe our matchup's vs projectile just got 10000x easier. Cannot wait for this patch to hit and enjoy knocking people down :D

I really hope these changes stay it would help a lot. I been maining Axl since day one and the struggle has been real sometimes lol.

Intense. .. cant wait to finally use the slash shark overdrive.. i had such high hopes for it but found no real use for it ... im supreme_spirit on psn im tat axl pkayer and slayer ;)

lmao @ 3+2 Shark Strike

I already liked this overdrive before, but if that sticks, it'll be more than enough.

If that's real, I need to head down to the bank so I can fill out my application for a tension loan. Between Rensen YRC and Shark Strike I will spend ALL the tension.

New f.S gatling would be dope.

some changes to j.d I couldn't read

In order shown:

- Recovery (?) time increased

- Wall sticks (lol wat?)

- Cancel time increased

Someone tell me I'm reading that second one wrong.

In order shown:

- Recovery (?) time increased

- Wall sticks (lol wat?)

- Cancel time increased

Someone tell me I'm reading that second one wrong.

I always thought the blow back on it was strange.  If they add wall stick or wall bounce it might open up some new combo options.  Worst case if it messes anything up, j.H is a replacement for it in most combos.

So when can we expect to get this new patch implemented?

Anywhere between soon and awhile.  This patch is a location test ie: subject to change. They very well may do multiple location tests or they could turn around and implement it nsoon, most depends on how the changes are received. Only thing for sure is that it's gonna be some time before we see it hit consoles.

Well depending on how it's received in the Arcades I'd say we should be seeing this patch in a 3-6 month time frame. Personally I hope its some where in the 3 month range. 

https://twitter.com/consomme0914/status/563147808522244096 and 

are secret changes for axl, I can't really read all of it but I did notice far s has gatling to 2s and there's I think a hitbox buff too? 2h stagger time increase, some changes to j.d I couldn't read, rensen->2 followup faster?, rashousen moves faster and less recovery but less active, no negative penalty on stance, 2363214H super has some shit to do with something being easier and some rc change, and shark strike got mad fast (7+3 to 3+2) and a damage buff.

Benten Super:

Hitbox got bigger so the whole thing connects easier

If you RC before the last section, the chain toss, it still comes out.

Shark Super:

Returning slash is 2f faster and does 42 damage now instead of 27

f.S

Cancel window increased

j.D

Longer untech time

Wallstick

Cancel window increased

Everything else you got right

Also, just to extra confirm, Rensen DOES knockdown now

Benten Super:

Hitbox got bigger so the whole thing connects easier

If you RC before the last section, the chain toss, it still comes out.

Shark Super:

Returning slash is 2f faster and does 42 damage now instead of 27

f.S

Cancel window increased

j.D

Longer untech time

Wallstick

Cancel window increased

Everything else you got right

Also, just to extra confirm, Rensen DOES knockdown now

So it looks like we have new corner combos with j.D and new stuff with 100 meter (or 75 on whiff) with the Benten Super. Not sure what benefit the speed on the second hit of Shark Strike gives, but the damage + longer cancel time on f.S means it just got a hell of a lot more useful

Awesome.  So they'll run a few of these tests.  What sort of time table would it be from the final test to a console patch?  

No one really knows.

So what are people doing off a 2H? If your opponent can mash then you can't combo out of it but for an RRC, and I'm not really finding any mixup opportunities

Well, can't say much for the pros but...there's always 6h but if you do it too much you will get punished. I've snagged a lot of people by doing 2h, 2h, 5d. But only if it pulls them into dust range.

So what are people doing off a 2H? If your opponent can mash then you can't combo out of it but for an RRC, and I'm not really finding any mixup opportunities

As for practically everything of Axl's, you gotta mix it up. Personally, I'll use 2H to either low profile moves that aren't super low (Elphelt 2HHHHH) or throw it out as a random poke at long range. Thing about mashing is that you have to have the presence of mind to stop mashing when you've recovered on top of having the reactions to begin mashing immediately. I find most players can get tagged by a Rensen before they can mash out. Getting hit by a 2H messes with players rhythm and also puts most in a different headspace letting them know that they can't just do whatever they want at [that] range. So, I don't look at 2H as a combo tool.

If you ask me, it's VERY important to strategically display to your opponent what you can do. The more they know you're capable of the more you can influence how your opponent plays.

Yosuke was talking about his experience with j.D change and wall stick. He talk about more of his experience in the first 1.1 loketest change too on his Twitter if you want to look into it. Can someone please give us a proper translation?

https://twitter.com/yousuke1455/status/564505161272279041

I hate the way Japanese is used for fighting games. It's really annoying.

It looks like Yousuke's finding the new j.D awkward and thinks it looks good to stop aerial combos at j.D since the Bomber and following up after it is weird. It also looks like he's having trouble with extended Bomber loops because he's having some kind of issue with people teching at/between j.H-j.D, but he's trying to wait and catch the techs with c.S.

Sorry if it was a bit vague, but FG Japanese is a little goofy.

P.S. - In one of his previous tweets that's MUCH easier to read, he's not feeling the Sol matchup, LOL. Apparently, Nobu's Sol nailed him with 5H CH against Axl f.S at round start with no adjustment to spacing. It seems as though Yousuke is looking to practice taking the initiative with Raiei at round start and get a CH when he feels Sol will start with 5H.

P.P.S. - Seems like Sol 5H got a stealth speed buff or Axl f.S got a stealth speed nerf? Unless Yousuke's timing was off, Sol 5H shouldn't CH his f.S with the current list of changes.

Does AXL have any real options against Leo Whitefang I find this match up infuriating due to the sick amount of safe pressure he has 

Does AXL have any real options against Leo Whitefang I find this match up infuriating due to the sick amount of safe pressure he has 

I feel that Axl has plenty vs Leo. I'm guessing you're getting rushed down. First off, it'll be way easier for you to keep Leo out, you do that and you don't have to deal with his fraudulence. If he does get in on you, block smart and use FD from time to time to throw off his spacing, forcing him to whiff. You can also counter if they get greedy or Benten.

Really though, play smarter and not harder, keep Leo out. Your long range pokes will catch him during his Fireball start up. 6K shuts down IAD. Leo is only an issue if he runs his game on you.

Thanks to @HiagoXYZ for the translations
Axl's 2nd loketest 1.10 change:

- 5K: hitbox increased
- 2HS: gets knockdown now
- 2D: startup reduced from 10f to 8f”

- Stance: gets meter now when using follow-ups; adjusts made to follow-up's total frames/timing you can use it

- Stance low follow-up: hurtbox appears before hitbox does now

- Stance: adjusted follow-up's untech time and float on hit; follow-up has increased hitbox
- Bentengari: startup increased from 30f to 35f
- Rensengeki: untech time increased
- Rashousen: no longer [4]6H, it's now 41236H