Digital Watches

[Xrd] Axl Gameplay Discussion

What input are you using for TK Bomber? I've messed around with 6283 and 6321473, but the former tends to be a bit iffy and I get Sparrowhawk too often on the latter.

Same combo off a 6H counterhit?

I used 23698~3. It feels much more fluid to me but to each their own. I posted on the wiki different useable inputs you can try. I haven't tried it with 6H yet but I'm fairly certain it'd work the same but be careful you don't get AA'd using raw 6H in neutral, better to use it in pressure or use it for momentum, YRC into throw, loop.

This character feels unstoppable now. Also I am no longer getting rashousen when I try to throw.

Best patch ever.

Got to play many sets against my frien'd Leo (along with a couple of randoms here and there). New Rashousen input is so much more useful. You can do it during a run, or a pressure string and even though most people can jump on reaction but then you get FRC shenanigans. 

Axl feels like he's "complete" for lack of a better term. Hit boxes and attack speeds feel in line with the rest of the cast. Damage output from Bomber combos feels lower but I could be trippin. Either way, I'll take it as enemies are easier to hit and scare now which is SO important.

I feel much more comfortable with Axl at all ranges now. Even the stance is useful, quicker strikes means being able to antagonize most players at full screen forcing them out of damage or meter (Sparrow dissolves meter used during FD).

Downside is being referred to as "Axl Army". Nigga, I BEEN playing Axl.

This character feels unstoppable now. Also I am no longer getting rashousen when I try to throw.

Best patch ever.

That and the sheer fact that I can throw 6H out of blocking or charging makes all the difference.

This small change simply shows what an outdated concept charge characters really are.

There's a damn good reason that you can't run and Rensen.

Also, another use for j.D wallstick: RC the initial grab of the unblockable, run them into the corner from midscreen and do a forward j.D to start your combo. I'm getting 189 from 6P c.S 2S SJC j.H j.D Bomber. If someone who is good with TKB loops can test it out we could see if it's optimal damage rather than starting with a TK Bomber

This small change simply shows what an outdated concept charge characters really are.

Do explain.

Charge characters, aside from being characters made to be friendly to players having a hard time with motion, became an archetype for defensive characters. Around the time of SF3 games had taken charge characters away from merely only being defensive characters (among most games, one could argue that charge characters stopped being "always defensive" when Capcom's Boxer was played competitively.) and it was embraced that to better make a non-defensive charge character you would have to give them other options, in many instances motion attacks, to keep them out of defense-only territory.

So beyond that time we had mainly grown out of the idea of a "charge character" and better into simply having charge attacks. This way characters no longer had to be built around a set of special attacks but instead be expanded upon due to them. Easiest example is Urien. Can and should be played offensively and through use of charge attacks is where he gets damage at the expense of execution. Had his charge attacks been motions the developers would have felt to have given his attacks other properties to make up for the fact that they would be instantaneous.

Nowadays we have characters like Alex, Cerebella, Axl, and Venom who are all hybrid characters. Plenty of options but with strong possibilities given through charge moves at the expense of time and execution.

Got to play many sets against my frien'd Leo (along with a couple of randoms here and there). New Rashousen input is so much more useful. You can do it during a run, or a pressure string and even though most people can jump on reaction but then you get FRC shenanigans. 

Axl feels like he's "complete" for lack of a better term. Hit boxes and attack speeds feel in line with the rest of the cast. Damage output from Bomber combos feels lower but I could be trippin. Either way, I'll take it as enemies are easier to hit and scare now which is SO important.

I feel much more comfortable with Axl at all ranges now. Even the stance is useful, quicker strikes means being able to antagonize most players at full screen forcing them out of damage or meter (Sparrow dissolves meter used during FD).

Downside is being referred to as "Axl Army". Nigga, I BEEN playing Axl.

The Axl army is as existent as the Canadian one (exactly). I'll figure out some j.D wallstick stuff later. I picked him up awhile ago just so I can know how to play the time travelling duo so that Bobman and I can do Team Time Warp in 2v2 tournaments.

There's a damn good reason that you can't run and Rensen.

Also, another use for j.D wallstick: RC the initial grab of the unblockable, run them into the corner from midscreen and do a forward j.D to start your combo. I'm getting 189 from 6P c.S 2S SJC j.H j.D Bomber. If someone who is good with TKB loops can test it out we could see if it's optimal damage rather than starting with a TK Bomber

"YES!" > RC > j.D > 6P> c.S > 2S > TK BOMBAH! > c.S > 2S > TK BOMBAH! gets 204 + better oki then doing the high jump. It's okay if you can't do it since you're still getting the knockdown, but you'll perform overall much better if you do. You can also do xx > c.S > 2S > j.H > j.D > TK Bomber after the first Bomber to get 225 damage if you want to kill. I tried to go for c.S > 1st TK Bomber > c.S> TK Bomber > c.S > 2S > Bomber > 5K > 2S > Bomber but the 3rd c.S is won't land since they're too close to the ground at that point. Maybe if I get rid of 6P? I'll test it more later.

There's also this odd thing where if you RC right as the chain starts wrapping their feet, the chains disappear, the opponent flinches (the first hit, 1 damage) but doesn't get held. I think you need to have a small gap between you and your opponent if you want to be able to RC at the 0 point instead the full animation.

"YES!" > RC > j.D > 6P> c.S > 2S > TK BOMBAH! > c.S > 2S > TK BOMBAH! gets 204 + better oki then doing the high jump. It's okay if you can't do it since you're still getting the knockdown, but you'll perform overall much better if you do. You can also do xx > c.S > 2S > j.H > j.D > TK Bomber after the first Bomber to get 225 damage if you want to kill. I tried to go for c.S > 1st TK Bomber > c.S> TK Bomber > c.S > 2S > Bomber > 5K > 2S > Bomber but the 3rd c.S is won't land since they're too close to the ground at that point. Maybe if I get rid of 6P? I'll test it more later.

There's also this odd thing where if you RC right as the chain starts wrapping their feet, the chains disappear, the opponent flinches (the first hit, 1 damage) but doesn't get held. I think you need to have a small gap between you and your opponent if you want to be able to RC at the 0 point instead the full animation.

Yeah, had that happen earlier when I was messing around (and not at point blank); it's probably just on the first frame so you don't want to RC there. Still a decent sized window.

Also, I had not realized before this patch how badly the hitbox on j.D sucks. It just starts so far down his leg and does not have a good bottom hitbox; I'm whiffing it while stuck inside their body.

Have you tried doing a 5K for a third loop? Gets you there a frame faster.

Yeah, had that happen earlier when I was messing around (and not at point blank); it's probably just on the first frame so you don't want to RC there. Still a decent sized window.

Also, I had not realized before this patch how badly the hitbox on j.D sucks. It just starts so far down his leg and does not have a good bottom hitbox; I'm whiffing it while stuck inside their body.

Have you tried doing a 5K for a third loop? Gets you there a frame faster.

That's why you don't use j.D raw unless its a whiff punish. I don't think 5K will make a difference but I'll test it out later. I'm 99% certain it's a height issue. Since each hit in the combo increases the gravity so they're not high enough. Might work on light characters such as Elphelt and I-No though.

Oh, speaking of Elphelt (damn, I wish I could remember this stuff when I'm actually practicing), I remember Watches couldn't find a hard knockdown on her from a throw. Has that changed at all now? I don't think it would have, but it would be a pleasant surprise if it did.

P.S. - Maybe new Rensen? o_0 Hmm.

These are combos I found to be most optimal in terms of execution and damage. Delay on j.D so you don't get prorated for maximum damage.

On Sol: "YES!" > RC > j.D > 6P > c.S > 2S > TK Bomber > c.S > 2S > j.H > j.D > TK Bomber (225)

On Elphelt: "YES!" > RC > j.D . 6P > c.S > TK Bomber > c.S > 2S > TK Bomber > c.S > 5K > j.H > j.D > TK Bomber (238)

Leave out the bolded part for less damage but better oki.

Oh, speaking of Elphelt (damn, I wish I could remember this stuff when I'm actually practicing), I remember Watches couldn't find a hard knockdown on her from a throw. Has that changed at all now? I don't think it would have, but it would be a pleasant surprise if it did.

P.S. - Maybe new Rensen? o_0 Hmm.

Unfortunately not because they're in the air when you throw so Rensen's first part won't connect or they'll tech. At least nothing meterless. Only if I do a very delayed c.S in Throw > c.S > TK Bomber for 80 damage do I get a hard knockdown.

EDIT: Highest damage I was able to get meterless on Elphelt was 155. 4+Throw > c.S > TK Bomber > c.S > TK Bomber > c.S > 2S > TK Bomber > 5K > 2S > j.H > j.D > TK Bomber (155)

It is kind of execution heavy though and you're not really getting a huge damage difference over just doing c.S > TK Bomber > [c.S > 2S > TK Bomber] x2 (146)

Nigga fuck the axl army ive been playing axl !

Notable axl nigga vets

The love charger

yifiku ?

tokipls

supreme spirit

Axl bomber

I've been playing strictly Axl since I got the game on pre-order and before it was available to the public. There were very few other people on netplay and it was weeks until I saw another Axl. From then I've gotten from godawful to mediocre. Good to see more people playing the character now.

So is there more untech time to j.D? I've noticed I can convert off a j.HS into j.D (air to air) with a 6k or 2S. Or was this always possible and I've just never noticed since release.

So is there more untech time to j.D? I've noticed I can convert off a j.HS into j.D (air to air) with a 6k or 2S. Or was this always possible and I've just never noticed since release.

Check out the video thread. Yaxl showcases it really well. BLE's video also has a lot of examples.

Check out the video thread. Yaxl showcases it really well. BLE's video also has a lot of examples.

Thanks! Was Axl always able to do this or was a longer untech time a small buff in 1.1? Also that IAD timing is so tight, can't land it with a delay (or maybe I'm just bad). I've just been jumping as I RRC and hitting a j.D on the way down, I find it much easier online.

Was Axl always able to do this or was a longer untech time a small buff in 1.1? 

Definitely a new thing, you could only do j.D > 5K-5P in 1.0 *if* you're close to the ground.

Also that IAD timing is so tight, can't land it with a delay (or maybe I'm just bad). I've just been jumping as I RRC and hitting a j.D on the way down, I find it much easier online.

Seems a few folk are having trouble with the IAD. Assuming its off of Rensen~8, RC > Delay > IAD > jD  as late as possible. It's also height-dependent.