Digital Watches

[Xrd] Axl Gameplay Discussion

Haitaka cancel -> Haitaka should be over 60f. It's REALLY SLOW

To escape Haitaka spam you need tension. The safest way to avoid chains is dash superjump FD. Better to block 2-3 chains before trying to escape, so you get lower damage if you get hit

Haven't touched Xrd yet, but standard rules of engagement against Axl still applies, yes? Axl whiffs, you move in closer to a better position.

Assuming Axl hasn't put you in a checkmate. You block the low chain, you just immeadately start running forward. He can't do a low chain again, so he either whiffs a chain over your head, manually cancels the stance, or Roman Cancels. All cases progress you towards a more winable state, you either gain ground, or he loses meter, or both. If he whiffs a mid or high chain, then you're probably in his face by now.

Thing is, while you're ducking, the mid chain whiffs, but if you run it doesn't.  So if you block the low chain and then continue holding 1, the next chain will always whiff, but that doesn't really mean you can advance because as soon as you stand up the mid chain can hit you.

Is it possible for him to cancel the stance earlier and 're-enter it before the opponent realises it? This would lead to some great mind games, I guess.

Yes.  This is basically what is happening.

Haitaka cancel -> Haitaka should be over 60f. It's REALLY SLOW

To escape Haitaka spam you need tension. The safest way to avoid chains is dash superjump FD. Better to block 2-3 chains before trying to escape, so you get lower damage if you get hit

Haitaka cancel -> Haitaka is slow enough to see it, OR make a break for it, but not both.  You can't wait for the animation and then run for it on reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6NzHWzGDrs

This Sol seems to be trying to beat it with Fafnir.  I can see that working on the mid one after blocking the low one.  (Unfortunately he gets read every time in the video lol)

Ah, I suppose if it was a simple as run after blocking low, we'd see it by now. By chacne does 6P tag his mid chain from full screen? Or if not full screen, do you have enough time to block a low then do a dashing 6P.

Saving 25% to YRC something random, like Grand Viper, is probably a good idea for this matchup.

Haitaka cancel -> Haitaka is slow enough to see it, OR make a break for it, but not both.  You can't wait for the animation and then run for it on reaction.

Don't run then. Do dash superjump and airdash at max height. That way you'll enter into Haitaka deadzone pretty quickly. There you can either land with strike or divekick. Keep in mind that Axl can YRC his stance if he has tension and do 2S.

Probably GF (YRC?) there would trade with Haitaka and that puts situation back to neutral which is better then dealing with Haitaka. Dunno

Trying to counter Haitaka at max range is a risk without good reward, so fafnir, GV and 6P usually are bad ideas.

Rules of engagement definitely apply. If Axl commits to a move other than 5K, 2K, or 3P, and it doesn't connect, he fucked up and you win. I'm thinking that stance-cycling might be a fun gimmick to win a hype round with, but it's not going in my main bag of tricks because it's committing to a weaker option set for minimal headgames.

After playing a little Xrd this weekend, I'm pretty convinced that having #R Ps and a pretty safe dragon punch might be broken. Haitaka is solid damage but it's not what's making this character win.

Also, way less disappointed with Rashousen than I thought I'd be. It's still got decent range and speed, and is great at what it's always been great at: Calling out spacing bluffs.

Plus you can YRC it to still call out jumps. So it's pretty good. Not +R good, but good.

Axl-Sol is looking like a pretty good matchup honestly. Sol has a lot of tools this version but he still has trouble working around Axl's strong midrange gameplan. At least that's what it seems like from the footage I've seen thus far.

Speaking of Sol, I noticed he's lost his RC out of his reversal (Volcanic Viper). Can Axl still RC/FRC S-Benten?

I haven't seen any doing it in videos, and I forgot to try it at EVO.

Speaking of Sol, I noticed he's lost his RC out of his reversal (Volcanic Viper). Can Axl still RC/FRC S-Benten?

I haven't seen any doing it in videos, and I forgot to try it at EVO.

My understanding is you can still Red RC reversals like VV and Benten on block or hit for half tension. You just can't Yellow or Purple RC them on whiff (indicated by the red X popping up over your character)

i saw this too. im really interested in 214 214  s overdrive. it says 7+3 start up  and 1-17 invul as a punish it might be really strong. it's one of the things I want to explore the most. 

It's not a command grab since it ignores throw invul. Also it's not a projectile since it can't negate and can't be negated by other projectiles. It's simple unblockable. At least it was till Xrd.

Yea rashousen but I think they took away the feint

I assume it is for the same reason as mach punch, because of yrc

I hope rashousen is quick.as an axl player.. im not digging his changes so much. But we shall see.

I posted a video were axl managed to get a counter combo after the low* counter catch ..