Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AtTheGates

[Xrd] Chipp Zanuff Gameplay Discussion

GGXrd_Header_Gameplay_Discussion.png
  • This thread is for general gameplay discussion.
  • Things that are not covered by eg. the combo thread, such as Okizeme, strategy and so on can be discussed here.
  • Please refrain from going off topic in this thread. This thread is for posting content related to Chipp's gameplay.

Stuff you should know

Spoiler

j.2K Faultless Defense Cancel

To stop your momentum in mid air, input 1K~anybuttonexceptdust. In other words, jump hold down/back, press the kick button to star the drill kick (j.2K), then quickly, while still holding 1, press the slash, punch or hardslash buttons (slash is used most of the time on stick, punch on pad).

This will start the j.2K, but will immediately cancel it with faultless defense, which will massively slow down your momentum while jumping.

A proper okizeme situation where this can be used looks like this:

Combo into 2D, run, neutral (!!!) jump, j.2K FDC, falling j.HS(2).

depending on when you did the FDC and when you jumped, you will either cross your opponent up or go for a fake crossup.

The key is the neutral jump - this way, the j.2K FDC will stop the momentum completely, and not simply a bit, like if you would do a diagonal jump. A j.2K FDC off of a diagonal jump is nonetheless also quite useful and can be used in situations when the added jump distance is necessary to reach the opponent in time - for example, if you scored a knockdown from really far away and don't want to risk getting in too close before your neutral jump, which could give your opponent too much time to act.

Notable Changes to Chipp in Xrd from previous Guilty Gear iterations

Spoiler

Removed:

• 22S: removed. 22S now works like 22HS in the older Guilty Gears, and 22HS now works like 22D from GGXX Slash onwards.
  • All Forcebreaks: removed. These were: Genrouzan-you (41236K > D), FB Beta Blade (623D) and FB Gamma Blade (41236D).

Normals:

• 6P: now only has one hit (used to have 2), also has a new animation. Much harder to use than before and insane disadvantage on whiff (or hit, if you don't cancel it).
  • 5K: chains into 2D, like in GGXXAC onwards.
  • 6K: does not slide on counter hit anymore.
  • 6HS: ground bounces on air hit like in +R! Hit Stun on air hit is actually long enough to link into d.5P or d.5S©! Does not launch high enough in most cases to add iad.j.P like it was in +R.
  • j.D: wall bounces very briefly if the opponent is close enough to the wall (like in reload). If the wall bounce is triggered, j.D can potentially combo into air Alpha Blade.
  • j.S: now slightly changes air momentum - Chipp will hover in air right before the move hits, enabling delayed overheads and longer blockstrings off or airdashes.
  • j.2K FDC cancel: still in the game as usual.

Specials:

• 22HS/22S: Chipp's air teleports can be jump installed like usual. Jump install chain > 2HS > 22HS >air combo works as usual. The back air teleport (22HS) got slower! it can be cancelled into wall cling, however.
  • Alpha Plus (236P > HS): Wall Bounce on Counter Hit. Feels more like in reload.
  • Throw: keeps the opponent knocked down like in GG XX Slash onwards.
  • Air Throw: the opponent can still be corner crossed after Chipp's air throw like usual.
  • Beta Blade (623S): 2 Hits like in Reload.
  • Genrouzan (Leaf Throw): has a new motion: 63214S. Also, can be cancelled into wall cling for meterless followups. It lost most of its invulnerability but is now 2F faster (still too slow to abuse it).
  • 236S > (236S >) 236K: Rekkas work as usual - combos off of 2D > Resshou (the first Rekka) work like in Guilty Gear XX Slash onwards, but the air hit stun has decreased, and following it up with HS is not possible anymore. Go for a 5P (without the dash) instead. Additionally, Resshou also does not launch on counter hit anymore.
  • Shuriken: 214P: Works like usual, the slow and the fast ones alternate. However, Chipp does not freeze for a moment when he throws the fast one now and completely continues his jump momentum. This means it is much harder to land good Shuriken setups.
  • New Rekka: 623HS: Chipp's new Rekka works either standalone or as the second or third hit in his Rekka Series. It is an upwards kick that wall sticks briefly if the opponent gets hit by it while airborne - against a standing opponent, it is rather useless. Chipp retains his air movement options after the move and can air dash / attack freely afterwards. If the opponent and Chipp are close to the wall when this hits, Chipp can easily followup with j.P, j.K or j.D into an air combo.
  • New Move: Wall Cling (6-4): 6,4 close to corner to cling to the wall. This move can be done during the recovery of Alpha Blade, Genrouzan and Back Air Teleport as well, leading to combos.
  • Wall Cling > 8/2: will move Chipp up and down.
  • Wall Cling > 9: a jump off the fall horizontally. Cannot be cancelled into anything other than his air movement options.
  • Wall Cling > 6/3: a dive downwards like in AC and +R. Can also not be cancelled except into air movement options.
  • Wall Cling > 4: will make Chipp let go of the wall. This can potentially cross up your opponent in the corner even if he is point blank inside it.
  • Wall Cling > P = Alpha Blade. The off-the-wall-Alpha has a very steep angle and combos after a regular air Alpha Blade (please note that this could also have been the Genyouzan, more information needed).
  • Wall Cling > K = Kunai. The Kunais are very fast, travel in a 45 degree angle and can be used repeatedly.
  • Wall Cling > S = Wall Genrouzan. The off-the-wall-Genrouzan will make Chipp jump horizontally, even if he is very high up the wall. It works like the regular Genrouzan.
  • Wall Cling > HS = Genyouzan - a Genrouzan-version against airborne opponents.

Overdrives:

• Banki Messai (236236K) = hits more reliably now. Combos off of 2D,unlike in earlier GGs. Also, if the hits stop connecting, Chipp will stop doing the move before the beta blades at the end.
  • Zanzei Rouga (632146HS)  = properties currently unknown. Chipp's cinematic overdrive.
  • New Move: j.214124K: EX Chipp's Air Shuriken Super. He throws down a fan of Kunai vertically. Unlike in other Guilty Gear iterations, the kunai in Xrd are really slow and can apparently pin the enemy for a short moment. Chipp retains all air movement options after the super that he had before using it. On Air Hit, this causes knockdown after quite a lot of hits and from a very high height (more info needed).

Frame Data and Damage Changes

Spoiler
  • 5P: 1F less startup! Now 3F
  • 5S(f): 1F more startup, now 7 (like in #reload to AC)
  • 5HS: damage down to 30 from 36. Startup up to 10F from 7F. Quite the nerf! Edit: however, comboing into instant airdash j.P/K/D has gotten a LOT easier.
  • 2HS: 2F less recovery, now 8F.
  • 5D: Damage up from 17 to 22.
  • j.D: Damage up from 32 to 36
  • 6P: only one hit now, damage from 18x2 to 22x1, first hit same startup (9F), more disadvantage, down from -1F to -14F (!)
  • 236P: Damage down from 44 to 36. 1F less startup, now 17F.
  • 236P > HS: 1F more Startup, now 9F. Disadvantage from -7 to -13.
  • j.236P: Damage down from 40 to 32. Possibly less landing recovery from lowest possible height, -19 instead of -21 or -22 (+R data unclear)
  • 623S: Damage from 45 to 30+26. Disadvantage from -35 to -30. 1-12F Invulnerable up from [1-8 full+ 9-12 strike] invul (unclear whether new XRD invul is full or strike).
  • j.623S: Damage from 40 to 28+18
  • 41236HS: 5F more startup, from 14F up to 19F.
  • 63214S (Genrouzan): 2F faster, from 29F to 27F startup. Lost its ridiculous strike invulnerability from +R.
  • 22P: 4F Faster. from 25F to 21F total duration. This will now move Chipp in place.
  • 22S: 20F total duration (like 22HS and 22D in +R). This now works like 22HS used to (will warp Chipp in front and above of his opponent).
  • 22HS: 6F slower. from 20F to 26F. This now works like 22D used to (will warp Chipp behind and above his opponent).
  • Wall Alpha (P during Wall Cling): 32 Damage, 17F Startup
  • Kunai (K during Wall Cling): 10 Damage, 9F Startup, 18F duration
  • Wall Genrouzan (S during Wall Cling): 90 Damage, 17F Startup
  • Wall Genyouzan (HS during Wall Cling): 90 Damage, 17F Startup
  • 623HS (new Rekka): 20 Damage, 16 Startup, -14SD
  • 632146HS: Damage down from 30x5+110 to 24x5+110, Startup down from 21F+4F to 21F+0F, Frame 1-5 Throw invul, Frame 6-21 complete invul down from Frame 1-30 full invul, Frame 31-33 strike invul
  • j.214214K: 20x12 Damage, Startup 1F+2F, Total Duration 21F
  • 236236K: 6x32+38x4 Damage, 7F+0F Startup, -14F SD, Frame 3-10 Strike Invul
  • Normal Version Instant Kill (236236HS): 9+13 Startup, -18 SD, Frame 9-26 Invul
  • Conditional Version Instant Kill (236236HS): 5+9 Startup, -18 SD, Frame 5-18 Invul

I will update this post once more information becomes available.

Okay, I'm a little confused, I see that you have 41236HS > D removed but that would mean stating that Gamma Blade is removed? But it's still on the list according to the Xrd move list. Also, what does the [ > D ] mean? Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question but I'm a little lost.

This is info from all 3 previous loketests, so it could be old:

New rekka follow-up. ~623H - upward kick. I believe 236K got unchanged, but could be wrong.

22S - Chipp tp into air

All TP moves now depend on opponent's position not Chipp's. ie 22K always teleports Chipp in front of opponent at fixed distance etc

Shuriken has AC motion, j.214P.

Wall Cling follow-ups:

9/3/6 - wall-jumps at different angles

4 - Chipp jumps off the wall ie just falls down

S/H - Genrouzan (ie Command Throws). One is AA, second catches grounded opponents

AC combo 3D 236S 236K is possible

Can do wall cling after air Alpha if wall is near

Chipp Notes from Xrd Debut Stream

Overview:
  • Chipp Movement is still unmatched
  • Chipp can still FDC in the air to stop his forward movement in the air.
  • Chipp is still a glass cannon. He got hit with a Sol BnB and lost a nice amount of health for it.

Special Moves:
    • Chipp still has an air teleport that makes him appear above and behind the opponent, although it's not 22D, its probably 22H? Maybe 22S from the info in the above post?
    • Wall Jump series: He can hold onto the wall and come off it with moves as stated before, angle of attacks appear to come from a 45 degree angle though.
    • Third attack of the rekka sends the opponent airborne and wall bounces them if they're close to the corner
    • Find me looks good. There are instances where Chipp fades out, he appears to completely disappear from the screen for a few frames then fades back in. This could be because of the stream quality but it appeared that he was off screen.
    • Just saw that Chipp still has the Rekka Ender that ground bounces. I don't know the input for it but it's still there.

Overdrives:
      • Zansei Rouga looks as fast as usual. It still obtains it's invulnerability and has a special animation for the final Strike
      • Banki Mesai looks different but still the same properties. instead of doing a ton of attacks he already has he goes all HnK on us LOL! I still believe it's fairly punishable when Barrier blocked.
      • New Shurriken Overdrive is as scary as it sounds. Chipp jumps and activates it, and shurikens rain from above. Chipp can also apply mix-up from above; He has air options if he doesn't use them all before activating the super.

Instant Kill:

[*]Chipp's new Instant Kill: It is a charging elbow strike that is projectile invulnerable. I saw Chipp run straight through Sol's Gun-flame and hit Sol. Unfortunately, the screen cut away from the IK animation and no one saw what the Instant Kill looked like ;_;

Notes:
        I saw certain combos that a lot of the Chipp players were using near the corner, possibly a staple for the game:

[*] c.S > 2D > 236S > 623H > j.D > 236P > 4,6 > S

i've seen the stream as well and noticed that chipp's throw keeps the opponent knocked down as long as in slash onwards (thank god).

This thread will become quite busy starting from tomorrow (provided mikado is streaming right away), i'll update the opening post as much as i can then.

Cool, I'm excited to see more footage, Chipp looks solid in this game.

Now that I think about it, the YRC in neutral might have been off of 6K if that normal is still the same, t would make more sense than a teleport TBH. I just don't want to change anything in my post until things have been confirmed. Hopefully we see it again or get updates from players in Japan.

EDIT: I made a few changes to my post after seeing someone play the timed training mode on stream. Would you like me to continue updating my original post or make new posts?

• 5K gatlings into 2D, like in AC onwards (awesome!!!)
  • more of a general thing: 5K can trigger danger time (observed against may 2S or some other crouching may normal)
  • alpha plus: wall bounce on counter hit
  • beta blade: 2 hits like in reload
  • 6hs: wall ground bounce on air hit like in +R, saw a chip link iad.j.P afterwards (unsure if it was bounce, but he did the combo)

• leaf throw off of the wall will move chip horizontally, unsure whether he can grab an opponent in the air if he is really far up the wall or if it misses by default in this situation
  • one of the wall dives looks like chipp's 4,6 near the wall from AC onwards, can probably be used in smilar situations
  • combo into HS against crouching opponent -> instant air alpha combos

@ shinsyn: do as you like - once we have plenty of information, we can still go about and compile the most important stuff proplerly.

• chipp can move freely after his new rekka (can use j.S or whatever, even airdash -> auto jump install)
  • j.D wall bounces
  • off of a j.D wall bounce, alpha blade comboed!!! (not sure if it works midscreen)
  • gamma blade -> S,HS, iad.j.P,S, tj.P,P,K[2],K[2],D seems to work!!!
  • Kunais off of the wall grab are really fast and travel in a 45° angle down, can be used multiple times in a row
  • off-the-wall-alpha has a very steep angle
  • it is possible to link a j.K after chipp's new rekka if you are close to the wall when hitting the opponent with it. air combo afterwards possible.
  • Edit: just saw a chipp use the new rekka against bedman -> j.K(2),j.D,\/, relaunch S,HS...!
  • chipp shouts KABUKI! during his new rekka, rofl.

So apparently, YRC's are not assigned to specific moves; it's a mechanic that allows you to Roman Cancel whiffed normals your neutral stance animation and even Taunt. Doesn't work on wake up, when blocking or when some characters whiff a DP (Don't know about Chipp's DP though). So the whole section I wrote on YRC's will be deleted since this is the case.

as seen in the new chipp vs. boss ramletharl vid:

combo into 2D,236S, new rekka, j.D, alpha -> off-the-wall-alpha is a legit combo. yay!

Yeah, that is what I ended up doing. He is pretty fun i played him all day today. Yrc find me is super hilarious. Find me is insanely strong. He also still needs to JI for 2hs combos.

On the floaty characters 2d, kabuki ( 623hs ) is a knock down from max range it is quite lovely. His wall info moves are hilarious. You can leaf grab off the wall and it is a grab move till he hits the floor. I don't think it hits people in the air. His vortex is still intact.

I didn't really get to use his Kunai super since he has his shitty reload j.d. God that move makes me mad. His new 6p has a crap ton of recovery.

Yrc teleport is pretty great.

pulsr: does the new 6P still have 2 hits or only one? think i've only ever see it do 1 hit.

It's 1 but it has an insane amount of recovery for a chipp normal. You definitely can't spam it if they were to double jump.

this is probably more so for me, but I want to test xxxx 2d, kabuki, shuriken alpha blade.

I didn't really get to use his Kunai super since he has his shitty reload j.d. God that move makes me mad.

So no more floor slide on counter hit?

So no more floor slide on counter hit?

j.D still floor slides, but it has the old wall bounce back. it's not *that* bad though, some combos might only be able with that effect actually.

I'm curious, does Chipp's wall cling put him in CH state while he's on the wall?

I don't get why Samitto, the Chipp God, has videos and this forum section is still dead as fuck...

Anyways, I got questions, has rekka overhead Banzai always been a good combo starter? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSQp6YiZf8#t=116

How does Chipp's FIND ME work now, does he flicker or you only see him when he's still/doing specials? It looks hella cheap from what I've seen, it looks like it'll be hard to block his mixup while he's in it especially when doing rekkas.

Chipp, like Sol seems to have his combos really focused on pushing you into the corner to get his real damage out. he seems to average, maybe slightly below average in terms of damage. But his ability to maintain and bring you to "Mixup City" seems stronger now.

Also, the way he works REALLY reminds of how he plays in AC/ACR more so ACR, considering ACR is one of his best iterations, in terms of combos and options on neutral/offense. but that's just me I've only watched this character, I don't play him.

Finally, I'd like to say I like Chipp's new VA. He sounds a lot more coherent, I never knew when Chipp teleports, besides saying "TOO RATE" he was saying "SURPRISE" this whole time... Also when he does jd is he saying "Daijobu" as in "I'm good" in Japanese?

I think Chipp's camouflage is pretty awesome, especially in high-low mixup + leaf throw, the opponent has to guess with very little visual cue. Due to the posing time of YRC, aerial teleports + cancel no long seem as strong although K teleport YRC is quite good.

Thanks to Samitto, we can now know what Chipp is capable of. It seems he can make medium - long combos from most of his attacks, especially when near the corner. Rekka middle screen into P 2HS JI teleport air combo is really cool, I hope the execution won't be too hard. In corner his combos are really sexy, there's still some stuff from AC like IAD jD Alpha or incorporating the new wall cling stuff into combos.

Overall, Chipp seems amazing, wonder how well Samitto gonna fare against Ogawa or FAB.

- 6hs anti-air hit links into 5P without having to move at all, says a lot about hit stun and pushback

- wall cling cancel possible after leaf throw leads to combos off of it for no meter in the corner

- air super apparently causes hard knockdown from a very high height and after a lot of hits

- combo into air alpha -> wall cling -> jump cancel combo possible

- haven't seen a single 2D > 236S > dash 5P combo yet, only direct links to 5P, wonder if it's still possible, probably not.

- 6hs anti-air hit links into 5P without having to move at all, says a lot about hit stun and pushback

- wall cling cancel possible after leaf throw leads to combos off of it for no meter in the corner

- air super apparently causes hard knockdown from a very high height and after a lot of hits

- combo into air alpha -> wall cling -> jump cancel combo possible

- haven't seen a single 2D > 236S > dash 5P combo yet, only direct links to 5P, wonder if it's still possible, probably not.

It could possibly be because his new rekka upward kick (kabuki) just sets up more consistent damage off of 2D 236S (especially since you get the wall stick combos if you end up in the corner)

Does alpha blade have less recovery since Samitto in all of his videos didn't use the TK version on block, which from what I understand is more preferred since regular alpha blade has so much recovery on it.