Shinobi!

[Xrd] King Ky - Gameplay Discussion

GGXrd_Header_Gameplay_Discussion.png

Just filler here. Post up any info and all discussion on said info here. The OP will be updated with loketest changes done to Ky.

Ky (#R -> XRD)
- CH 6P prolonged hitstun.
- CH 5H does not stagger; prolonged hitstun.
- 2H is still AC+ 2H. One hit, jump cancelable.
- Greed Sever does not ground bounce; just launches. Air hit Greed Sever is high, can combo from super jump. Also does not crossup.
- 5S or 5H->GS does not work.
- Seal powered Charged Stun Edge is 6 hits.
- Cannot perform #R 5S->6K loop. Either or both moves are AC+ version.
- 6K can be special canceled.
- j.S does not hit crouching and lost crossup.
- Ground hit Split Ciel (236D; new move. Sets out one Seal) staggers on hit. Air hit does not slide anymore from previous loketests.
- Air Ride the Lightning can wallstick.

Still a work in progress.

Edited by Kazuki Slice

small correction:

2hs is most likely a modified slash version, 2 hits, cannot combo into gs

sweep>slide works on everyone but bedman, pot, and chipp

float on ground hit gs is very low, just barely enough to combo into c.s

old school vt loops are back

ground hsvt knockdown into cse oki works

2s>sweep>stun edge>rc>2hs>hsvt>c.s>2hs>hsvt>c.s>hsvt 60% on chipp

throw>rc>c.s>2hs>hsvt>2hs>hsvt>c.s>hsvt 50% on chipp

also according to ain you can't yrc specials that are special cancelled from normals

It looks like 3hs is the replacement of Ky's AC 6hs, where it stops back dashes and lets you combo off aerial state opponents, it's its more safe to use, based on the match against May.

I'm surprised by how safe Split Ciel is when blocked. It looks like it's meant to be used in pressure strings.

Just finished playing for the first time. Some thoughts:

- Ky feels strong overall. Still has a great mid and long range game and has no glaring weaknesses.

- Split Ciel is pretty neat and really helps Ky's oki. It doesn't seem that good on block to be honest, mostly because it pushes you back quite a bit (especially on FD). On hit however, it's great because it gives you a free mixup. Knock them down and then use a Ciel powered Charge Stunedge to keep them blocking.

- 5D is godlike, lol. Maybe it's just because it's Day 1, but I landed it way too many times today. The nice thing is that places a seal where its active hitbox is, so even if they block you can keep the offensive going.

- 3H... I don't know what to make of it. I don't think it has any invulnerability, but rather it seems to move your hurtbox back. It does lead to nice damage on CH, at least.

- I actually got to play against the entire cast today. The only characters that immediately stood out as potentially bad matchups were Axl and Faust. Even then, I was able to figure out ways to deal with both of them (Ciel'd Stunedge helps a lot against Axl).

If anyone has any questions or has anything they want me to test, just let me know.

Sent from my PTL21 using Tapatalk

Edited by qwerty

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm interested in learning more about Split Ciel on whiff during pressure since it recovers very fast (say after 6H max range or f.S.) Could you try that and see how it works out?

I've done meaty 6H -> seal many times. It's really a matter of distance and frame advantage; as long as they can't jump out for free, it's basically safe.

6H -> 5D does basically the same thing, with the added bonus of forcing them to block high. I don't think even on IB you could punish 5D past a certain distance.

Like using j.D for its seal? I don't think the vertical hitbox on either Stunedge is tall enough to reach.

The ground seal really doesn't have much recovery, you just don't want to do it at a range where they can run up and punish.

yes, that was my plan, but oh well. which ground seal are you talking about? 5D or 236D?

236D. It isn't good enough to be entirely safe, but it also isn't particularly easy to whiff punish.

is it me or does CSE do all 3 hits on block without much delay between each hit now?

can you do vt loop off f.s>3hs>hsvt?

anything like 6p>c.s>ji>2hs>hsvt>rc>air dash j.d>land>stuff where you'd be able to air combo into DC air stun edge?

Charge Stunedge does hit pretty fast now. I think that's why they made the sealed version hit like ten times lol. Speaking of which, there does seem to be a hitbox behind the seal when you use Charge Stunedge (Axl jumped over it and got hit from behind). I'll have to do some testing to see if the normal version has that too, but yeah.

Haven't tried doing VT loops yet. Mostly I've been keeping it simple with air combos, and for ground combos I've just been confirming in to seal. That stagger is actually pretty long, but realistically you won't be getting a combo after it because of how far you're pushed back.

I'll have to try some VT loops next time I play (should be tomorrow). Does this game have JI?

is the stagger on it long enough for a sweep or 2k? if so you can probably do something like 5hs>6k>236d>sweep>stun edge maybe?

It's definitely long enough, the problem though is that you're not really at combo distance. If you were to RC it or something then yeah, without a doubt.

Still, I'll take the strike/throw mixup for no meter. Even if they block your run up 2K, you now have a seal right on top of them.

I'll see if some gatlings vs some characters will lead to a post stagger combo, but I kinda doubt I'll find anything tbh.

It pushes you back pretty far, lol. It does cause a long stagger and give you decent frame advantage, but it's just enough to go for a mixup. I tried landing a combo during the stagger and it never worked.

Again, I'll test it out and see if there are non-RC combo possibilities, but I'm not hopeful.

Woah, that's nice. I'll have to try that tomorrow, along with the combo starter you just mentioned. I've only ever comboed off of 3H counter hit, but I've seen people do combos off of normal hit, too.

Ky looks like they remodeled him to make use of Durandal Calls during neutral and offense. I looks like doing Split Ciel on neutral is a lot safer and faster at getting out a Grinder Seal, correct me if I'm wrong. Back during loketests, Split Ciel actually looked pretty useful as a pressure tool coupled with Ky's new 3hs, is it still the case?

How is 3hs, is it unsafe on block? It looks like it's made to catch back dashes, and maybe jumps? Could you check if this is possible?

Dc stun edge on block looked slightly safe as well back during the last loketest, could you check to see if that is still the case?

Also I noticed on the latest a-cho, dc sacred edge wallpins, maybe you might find that useful for corner combos. That might turn out to be useful.

j.RTL, wallpins are there any heights that allow it to be comboed off of without additional meter?

Also in your opinion, why do you think Day 1 Faust is so strong?

EDIT: Can Faust crawl under DC's, specifically dc sacred edge and dc CSE?

Edited by BladeOfJustice7

The closest thing I can compare 3H to is Johnny's 6K in XX. It's not so much an anti-air as it is a ground to air poke.

The reason I'm a little confused as to how exactly it's supposed to be used, is that I'm pretty sure unlike Johnny 6K, it has no invulnerability of any kind, nor does it low profile. It seems like all it does is move your hurtbox way back so that whatever jump-in will just whiff. Which is nice in theory, but something tells me that with YRC, it may not be the greatest idea to just throw it out.

Having just watched some videos, I did see it used in blockstrings, followed by a Stunedge. It seems pretty unsafe though even on normal block, so I don't know about using its static difference for blockstrings. Something else to test out, I guess.

Sealed Stunedge does seem safe, but I can test it in training mode to be sure.

I haven't seen anyone follow up air RTL without RC'ing, but I guess I can play around with that as well.

Faust is just godlike, lol. Amazing pokes, amazing damage, and that black hole. Fuck that thing.

At least Ky can deal with Faust and Axl better than most characters due to good pokes and Sealed Stunedge/CSE. I don't think Faust can crouch Sealed anything because those hitboxes are huge lol.

Anyways, I'll report back tomorrow with my findings! Now to find an empty cabinet to use for training mode...

How safe is the new special on block I wonder. Can you string to that thrust attack, then link a duck lp then string to fireball? Saying that is the fireball from the seal can you combo after that? Im thinking of some loops or some pretty tight pressure strings. Also maybe some character specific combos like his new 3+hs, then thrust attack, then can you link a attack before they slam against the ground?

The closest thing I can compare 3H to is Johnny's 6K in XX. It's not so much an anti-air as it is a ground to air poke.

The reason I'm a little confused as to how exactly it's supposed to be used, is that I'm pretty sure unlike Johnny 6K, it has no invulnerability of any kind, nor does it low profile. It seems like all it does is move your hurtbox way back so that whatever jump-in will just whiff. Which is nice in theory, but something tells me that with YRC, it may not be the greatest idea to just throw it out.

I asked because I feel the move was given to Ky has a replacement for his AC 6hs, where if timed right in the middle of block strings could allow you to combo off opponent's backdashing, if you read them right. I'm unaware of the uses of Johnny's 6k honestly. Is that how Johnny's 6k is supposed to be used?

Having just watched some videos, I did see it used in blockstrings, followed by a Stunedge. It seems pretty unsafe though even on normal block, so I don't know about using its static difference for blockstrings. Something else to test out, I guess.

Yes it never looked safe at all but a Split Ciel after it's been successfully blocked might be a good idea. I saw there are a lot of potential mind games with a grinder being placed in front of your opponent after a block string. With CSE disappearing now if Ky gets hit, DC's still remain even if he's hit.

Sealed Stunedge does seem safe, but I can test it in training mode to be sure.

If it plus or 0, the mind games can begin...

I haven't seen anyone follow up air RTL without RC'ing, but I guess I can play around with that as well.

Cool, how good is RTL at eating projectiles btw, like can it go through Tyrant Proton Cannon?

Faust is just godlike, lol. Amazing pokes, amazing damage, and that black hole. Fuck that thing.

Sounds safe to say also Sol probably can't 2d/GV under dc CSE and dc sacred edge.

At least Ky can deal with Faust and Axl better than most characters due to good pokes and Sealed Stunedge/CSE. I don't think Faust can crouch Sealed anything because those hitboxes are huge lol.

Anyways, I'll report back tomorrow with my findings! Now to find an empty cabinet to use for training mode...

Awesome thanks a lot :)