Shinobi!

[Xrd] King Ky - Gameplay Discussion

@Killey, you can combo off of it, if not at least fire a dc projectile. My time stamp though had to do with how Zato can't reflect dc projectiles.

Ah sorry, the time stamp went into the stagger off of the 236D so I wasn't sure what you were noting. Definitely useful info for the Zato match up though.

Sorry, for my future reference why are we calling the powered up projectiles DC? I haven't been keeping up to date with the notations and GG Xrd in general.

I really want to see people exploring YRCing off of DC projectiles for pressure and mix ups. I think there might be good potential off of that. Meter gain seems really fast in this game as well. Also, saw some players comboing 2D xx Stun Edge Purple RC into VT loops so that's pretty cool.

Edited by Killey

Sorry, for my future reference why are we calling the powered up projectiles DC? I haven't been keeping up to date with the notations and GG Xrd in general.

DC= D.urandal C.all, it occurs whenever Ky's Projectiles fly through a Grinder seal, Grinder seals are those circle things that appear after a jd/5d/236d.

When Stun edge, Charged Stun Eedge, or Sacred Edge fly through a Grinder seal, they become Durandal Calls (DC) which are those massive electrical swords you see occasionally.

Definitely useful info for the Zato match up though.

Exactly what i was thinking especially after seeing BOB's Zato literally shut down Ain's spacing game by reflecting every projectile he fired. Speaking of which, both CSE and Sacred Edge seem nerfed over all, CSE doesn't last nowhere nearly as long as it used to and goes away if Ky's hit, Sacred Edge is impossible to combo off of and doesn't even do much damage.

They really designed him to make use of DC's on offense and on neutral it seems. Only Stun Edge seems to work virtually the same.

I really want to see people exploring YRCing off of DC projectiles for pressure and mix ups. I think there might be good potential off of that. Meter gain seems really fast in this game as well. Also, saw some players comboing 2D xx Stun Edge Purple RC into VT loops so that's pretty cool.

As do I, I feel it'll be great for pressure, offensive mind games, mixup, dealing with stronger zoners like Venom/Axl, and for mind games. Split Ciel is faster than it sounded like during loketests honestly.

Okay, f.S does cancel in to 3H! 6H -> 3H is also a pretty easy link.

Also, for a virtually fail safe confirm in to stun dipper, end your combo with f.S 2S before stun dipper.

Sent from my PTL21 using Tapatalk

Stun dipper goes under sealed Stunedge, lol

Something else I noticed today is that to hit your 6P as anti air, you have to do it really late. I was just playing against another Ky, and when he jumped in with j.S, we'd both end up whiffing if I didn't hit 6P super late. You can still punish the landing recovery, but still.

I noticed it was hard to hit 6p on sol when he was air dashing at me as well. There is like no vertical hit box on it.

Also if you are going to Gatling out to far slash to combo into dipper remember that if they are crouched you can Gatling into 3hs > gs > hsvt. Worth taking the time to confirm.

Have they confirmed if ride the lightning is a kd from air combos yet? It might be be good to combo into that off random mid screen gs hits/anti air.

Lastly can we do impossible dusts? Is there going to be a feasible way to knock down off of a mid screen dust?

Alright, so you can get an airtight sealed CSE.

5K c.S f.S 2D -> CSE to knock them down. Then if you hit low with 5K, confirm in to c.S -> seal, then link stun dipper. CSE should hit them more or less airtight; even if they can manage to jump/reversal out, they have to deal with that huge hitbox behind the seal.

I also played with forward dust corner combos.

Best ones I could come up with were:

5D [6] 6H 2H 2D -> meaty CSE

5D [6] 6H 3H GS VT

The issue here is that the other guy is going to plummet after 6H, so you actually have to confirm for both combos whether or not the other guy is on the ground. For the former, you want him to be, but not for the latter.

I only tested it on Sol, but I'm guessing some characters will be easier to judge than others.

Watching that set with Machaboo vs Ogawa.

Really liking how Machaboo ends VT loops with 5S xx 236D into meaty DC CSE. Off of this set up it feels like Ky gets the same mix up options, as a YRC'd CSE after a 2D.

they're in a state where they are sitting down after the first 6hs which restands them when they land, so another 6hs and etc works

I could get another 6H to land, but I couldn't follow it up with 2D afterwards. I won't say it's impossible because it probably can be done, but doing 6H xx 2H is much easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua01I6M7e0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUyV9c57z3v5Ot5d4PklDxeA

Looks like Ride the Lighting can be YRC'd, which isn't too much of a surprise since you could always FRC it in previous versions.

The other thing I noticed is that f.S gatlings to 3H. 3H will actually hit from max range f.S as well since Ky travels forward when doing the 3H animation.

Ain is also the first Xrd Ky player I've seen to YRC regular stun edge's for pressure/momentum. I know people are still getting use to this version of Ky but I haven't seen people try to apply Ky's AC tactics.

Edited by Killey

combos kuma tweeted

gs>c.s>5hs>gs>hsvt>2hs>hsvt>c.s>ciel

gs>c.s>ciel>dc sacred>2hs(2)>ciel>2hs(2)>ciel

Still no word on shin akuma? And again any word on if you can have a projectile out when you are doing the big new sealed fireball? Again if thats the case I dont see any reason not to do something like where you big fireball, do a a seal, then do a big fireball FRC again for random sorta loopish pressure.

Fairly certain you can't throw out a stun edge when a sealed one is active. The example of using CSE to set up a seal and then do a sealed CSE YRC is totally possible, though.

Pardon my ignorance: what's shin akuma?

#reload Ky, air stunedges had really long recovery, but you still recovered before you touched the ground. So it was possible to do two air stunedges before landing. I forget if you needed to doublejump for the second stunedge. You could also air stunedge then airdash. Or VT, if someone got past your stunedge and was trying to punish your landing recover, etc.

@qwerty: This is a 5d combo in/near the corner that allows for a 5d>66

5d>66>6hs>2d>dc sacred edge>stuff

5d>66>6hs>6hs>2d>dc scared edge>stuff

5d>66>6hs>CSE>YRC>stuff

5d>66>6hs>6hs>dc stun edge>stuff

"Stuff" is just see however you can optimally end the combos, I just want to see if the starting part is possible

These are just combos in my head, I'm certain it's possible to make optimal use of DC after a 66 follow up in the corner. Also qwerty, what are you thoughts on DC as a whole so far in the game, do you see it as helping Ky overall in his screen control/mid ranged/all around play style, could you see it helping him in his more unfavorable matchups like Venom and Axl? I know it's early in the game's life cycle, but I'd like to get your early thoughts.

EDIT:

Corner pressure setup, requires 25%, after finishing a combo in the corner go for Split Ciel, then YRC a CSE immediately, the slow down should allow you to see what your opponent is doing, maybe allow for a possible air grab into the DC CSE below them, if it is too slow or costly of a set up is it possible to transform a CSE in it's process of already forcing the opponent to guard, or does CSE disappear too fast to get a grinder enhancement from Split Ciel? If neither are possible then fooling around the DC stun edge after a Split Ciel could be possible, though clearly nowhere near as a strong as an oki tool as 6hs.

Edited by BladeOfJustice7

#reload Ky, air stunedges had really long recovery, but you still recovered before you touched the ground. So it was possible to do two air stunedges before landing. I forget if you needed to doublejump for the second stunedge. You could also air stunedge then airdash. Or VT, if someone got past your stunedge and was trying to punish your landing recover, etc.

I see. Fitting name, lol.

I don't think either of those are possible in this game, though I was wondering yesterday if Air Stunedge can cancel in to j.D. I'll have to test that sometime.

"Stuff" is just see however you can optimally end the combos, I just want to see if the starting part is possible

It is possible to get two 6H's, however, at least from what I've tested you'll always be too far for 2D to connect afterwards.

Given the proration on 5D, I'm satisfied with scoring a knockdown. The one I do that works on everyone is 5D -> 6H 2H 2D -> meaty CSE. It doesn't do a ton of damage or anything, but it gets the job done.

Also qwerty, what are you thoughts on DC as a whole so far in the game, do you see it as helping Ky overall in his screen control/mid ranged/all around play style, could you see it helping him in his more unfavorable matchups like Venom and Axl? I know it's early in the game's life cycle, but I'd like to get your early thoughts.

So far, I find DC (or what I've been calling sealed Stunedges) to be pretty strong, but not without its weaknesses. Namely that when you're using them for controlling space at neutral, you have to be absolutely sure that you won't get punished for setting it up. The ground seal + startup on either Stunedge (especially CSE, but that goes without saying) is longer than it may seem. Using j.D instead of the ground seal does mitigate this somewhat, but you're still taking a lot of time to set it up.

I find sealed CSE to be much more useful than sealed Stunedge, both for oki and at neutral. The issue with sealed Stunedge is that outside of a fullscreen situation, it doesn't do much that regular Stunedge already does. In fact, I actually find regular Stunedge to be better in certain fullscreen situations; the way I deal with Axl's stupid Level 3 Mist Finer, for example, is I block the first hit and then throw a Stunedge, because even if I have the frames to do a seal + Stunedge, it doesn't give any additional benefit in this case. For oki, I don't see much use for sealed Air Stunedge. If anything, you're best off doing Air Stunedge YRC and doing an AC-style mixup off of that.

Now sealed CSE is a different story entirely. For oki, it's basically perfect. You really can't ask for much more than six hits and frame advantage.

At neutral, it's a little situational due to the startup of CSE, but very strong nonetheless. As I've stated before, it does have a vertical hitbox that extends behind where the seal was placed, which makes it pretty difficult to jump over. If they decide to sit there and proximity block (meaning they're holding downback but aren't actually getting hit by it), then you can just run up and go nuts. It really opens up a lot of opportunities at neutral, you just have to be in a good enough position to get it out.

Corner pressure setup, requires 25%, after finishing a combo in the corner go for Split Ciel, then YRC a CSE immediately, the slow down should allow you to see what your opponent is doing, maybe allow for a possible air grab into the DC CSE below them, if it is too slow or costly of a set up is it possible to transform a CSE in it's process of already forcing the opponent to guard, or does CSE disappear too fast to get a grinder enhancement from Split Ciel?

What you described in the beginning should result in the sealed CSE hitting meaty, so I'm a little confused as to what you're getting at here.