Shinobi!

[Xrd] King Ky - Gameplay Discussion

Also another thought considering that slide always seems to combo off sweep now. Mid screen knock down combos where you just do dp, you should be able to get a guarantee running slide for a knock down.

So does RCing VT or air VT restore air options? The air VT RC air dash j.D combo was an old #R combo and required a jump install. I'm just wondering if jump installs are still in the game and/or RCing VT and air VT restores air options to bypass the need for jump installs.

I'm interested in this, too.

So, people is using old VT > jD combo again? lmao

That video was some good stuff. It is exciting to see Ky as a strong character because of interesting stuff instead of SE x n (like /). I enjoy no longer feeling like Ky has to work his ass off for every win.

Has there been any talks from jp players about possible Safe jump j.D setups. In the Machobo vs Nemo set he used it a couple of times after midscreen 623HS on aerial hit or using it as a reversal. He would IAD low j.D over Faust, pause, and continue pressure, and Nemo was pretty much forced to block since j.D is active for years. The setup piqued my interest quite a bit. He did it sometimes in the corner too. From 2D into low j.D or after VT loops. But I think DCSE in the corner would be the better option there. But midscreen it can be very viable, instead of taking to the air and ending combos with j.623HS only to have them tech and get away

That video was some good stuff. It is exciting to see Ky as a strong character because of interesting stuff instead of SE x n (like /). I enjoy no longer feeling like Ky has to work his ass off for every win.

That sounds like, you enjoy using flow-chart autopilot characters lol. But yes, increased screen control, better and consistent damage are just some of the main stuff that helps Ky in this iteration. I just hope he doesn't get boring.

That sounds like, you enjoy using flow-chart autopilot characters lol.

That is a pretty presumptuous statement.

I'm referring to the fact that, as with many other characters, it can be a frustrating experience to outplay someone and end up losing partially because of mediocre damage. I play a lot of matches against Slayer so I'm always facing a rather pronounced difference in damage. I'm just saying that I enjoy the fact that he has, as you said, better damage and increased screen control. The seal mechanic wasn't the sort of thing I would of immediately expected them to give Ky, but it was a pleasant surprise. Adds a nice layer to his game.

That is a pretty presumptuous statement.

I'm referring to the fact that, as with many other characters, it can be a frustrating experience to outplay someone and end up losing partially because of mediocre damage. I play a lot of matches against Slayer so I'm always facing a rather pronounced difference in damage. I'm just saying that I enjoy the fact that he has, as you said, better damage and increased screen control. The seal mechanic wasn't the sort of thing I would of immediately expected them to give Ky, but it was a pleasant surprise. Adds a nice layer to his game.

I just wanted you to clarify. My apologies if I offended you, and yes the Slayer/Ky is very pronounced in terms of damage potential for each.

Ky looks very strong in this game honestly, It's a pretty big deal for Machaboo (I think) called Venom the poor man's Ky lol. Since that is never the case in GG

It's a pretty big deal for Machaboo (I think) called Venom the poor man's Ky lol. 

not sure where youre getting that from

and everyone knows in the past 7 years of ac that ky has a hard time winning plus hes saying that hes NOT like slash ky who was braindead as fuck

I just wanted you to clarify. My apologies if I offended you, and yes the Slayer/Ky is very pronounced in terms of damage potential for each.

It's all good. When someone suggests you enjoy using flow-chart autopilot characters it is hard not to take it as an insult. I guess now I can't challenge you to that $25000 money match to defend my honor.

For some reason I never got a chance to play / much despite the fact that I owned it, but I remember that out of all the changes it was really the stun edges that shot Ky up the tiers. Outside of that he wasn't massively better. Anyone remember Ogawa playing #R Eddie vs Buppa's / Ky? Good times.

What I was getting at though is that Ky is simply overall a better character, which is much more fun. BoJ: Those combos you linked to remind me of what folks are currently doing with Sol's dust loop. Modifying the ol' dust loop/VT loop and getting much cooler stuff (it is only natural given this is a new game). Glad to watch this all develop.

Some little gameplay of Ky (among other characters) with cosplay as a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwCT13j6AQM

And just to clarify aside from that, Ky is really something in Xrd, there are no possible complaints. I would even say it's almost certainly for Ky becoming the new character most played online in this game instead of Sol this time.

I would even say it's almost certainly for Ky becoming the new character most played online in this game instead of Sol this time.

More than likely, I still think Sol will rule in terms of numbers online.

How do peoeple feel about the Valentine match up? I haven't seen too much on this around so this is the next best thing.

And on a kinda off topic note speaking of Buppa, what happened to Game Chariot guys?

@DMK, yes it's great Ky doesn't have to deal with huge damage disparities like in AC, where everything is even so long as you're not forced to make comebacks nor making huge blunders that lead to losing 60% of your health lol.

To early to say anything about the Valentine matchup, no one even knows how to use her lol. Ky's screen control has gotten buffed and has good consistent damage.

@kanashimi, Ky is not as much of a pick up and play type of character like Sol, yes Ky will have lots of people playing him but I highly doubt it'll be as much as Mr. Badguy himself. Plus Sol is vastly manlier than Ky, with a crazy install super (that's hype as fuck) and a dickick.

@buppa discussion, i care more for seeing Hayashi and Rozu than Buppa personally.

im thinking valentine matchup will be either a keepaway game when she has swords setup mid range or a close up pressure game since she doesnt seem to have a dp, still too early to say though

ky's still a basic easy to pick up character but there is still a bit of stuff you need to know unlike sol who is more straight forward

last i heard of buppa was that he's still unemployed and playing pachislots all day, hayashi usually shows up in hachiouji tourneys but they dont stream it often, rozu haha no footage unless he travels 

Ky is kind of a flowchart character now; most of the cast is. It's to be expected with this being a new game. It's certainly not as bad as it could have been (BBCT), and I think it will only improve from here.

Neutral game and offense usually aren't fleshed out early in a series. In Xrd the only outlier is Faust, who has more offensive options than anyone. Eddie is stronger on offense to be sure, but his game plan is much more straightforward.

In Ky's case, he's been designed to excel at converting any hit into a corner knockdown. His "flowchart" is pretty simple: knockdown is good, corner knockdown is better, corner knockdown with seal is best.

I think the game will inevitably end up heading in a more XX kind of direction in this regard, where you'll have to decide whether to go for damage or knockdown, meter or tensionless, etc. Right now every hitconfirm is basically launch -> VT loop or press buttons -> Stun Dipper -> seal. It's not necessarily bad, just sort of plain and kind of unexpected from a game that calls itself Guilty Gear.

Makes sense I can see what you're talking about, especially with the lack of VT follow up attack, you really have to decide to go for damage which leads to aerial VT thus allowing the opponent to air tech, or cutting your damage and instead going for a 5s>2hs>VT>kd>pressure.

What you're saying would probably explain why some lesser character loyalists have been switching mains, as opposed to players like Samitto, FAB, Nage, and Ain among others.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5eOalKi8N4#t=709 this is a nice little gimmicky combo/reset. Could create interesting mind games.

To early to say anything about the Valentine matchup, no one even knows how to use her lol. Ky's screen control has gotten buffed and has good consistent damage.

@kanashimi, Ky is not as much of a pick up and play type of character like Sol, yes Ky will have lots of people playing him but I highly doubt it'll be as much as Mr. Badguy himself. Plus Sol is vastly manlier than Ky, with a crazy install super (that's hype as fuck) and a dickick.

@buppa discussion, i care more for seeing Hayashi and Rozu than Buppa personally.

That is true but I think more for people who like the game and play for fun, a mojority of peopele I know and who I play with aren't people who don't play fighting games that often really like Ky over most of the cast. DAT INSTALL IK doe. (Ky's animation for his IK is so much more hype now.)

Meh I been following players like FAB and Ain

Any one got any info on Sacred Edge? Is it bad or good but very little utility or decent?

i was saying it was already easy to bait and punish bursts with ky haha.

You find? His combos don't look any more burst safe than they were in AC/ACR, which aren't very burst safe to begin with lol.

That is true but I think more for people who like the game and play for fun, a mojority of peopele I know and who I play with aren't people who don't play fighting games that often really like Ky over most of the cast. DAT INSTALL IK doe. (Ky's animation for his IK is so much more hype now.)

Meh I been following players like FAB and Ain

Any one got any info on Sacred Edge? Is it bad or good but very little utility or decent?

Yeah that IK and IK post lol, gets me hype.

For Ky players I follow: machabo (obviously), rozu/roz, hayashi, ain. I find Ain is the weakest amongst these Ky players. So I enjoy them all for the way they play Ky differently, though I always prefer Machabo and Roz's playstyles over the other two.

DC Sacred Edge is really strong in the corner and INSTANT once it passes through a Grinder, and seems to be full screen. Seems like  projectile contender to DI Tyrant Rave lol.

I think i saw RTL go right through Venom's full screen ball super or something, this move seems to have a lot of projectile invincibility. But don't quote me on it this time...