Shinobi!

[Xrd] King Ky - Gameplay Discussion

DC Sacred Edge is really strong in the corner and INSTANT once it passes through a Grinder, and seems to be full screen. Seems like  projectile contender to DI Tyrant Rave lol.

I think i saw RTL go right through Venom's full screen ball super or something, this move seems to have a lot of projectile invincibility. But don't quote me on it this time...

^ Finding someone to test this for us....

Do you know the video you saw this in? Link if you could? (If you haven't posted this already.)

ride eats ALL projectiles in xrd

and super fireball didnt change, powered up super fireball is gonna be better for combos though, probably can get a dust relaunch from the wallstick 

and super fireball didnt change, powered up super fireball is gonna be better for combos though, probably can get a dust relaunch from the wallstick 

CSE visibly has less frame advantage though.

Oh.. you meant Sacred Edge. Nevermind. But it's not like you can wallstick them twice. If you try to 6Dust and wallstick again I think they'll spin out. And regular Dust probably isn't too good because they'll tech in the air.

I think it may have some (very sitautional mind you) purpose as a mid to corner combo ender leaving enough time to lead into a corner setup. THough this is just theory as I haven't seen anyone use SE yet and can't physically play Xrd Ky yet. (inb4 EU get screwed again!)

^ Finding someone to test this for us....

Do you know the video you saw this in? Link if you could? (If you haven't posted this already.)

No need to test, we can wait, the fact that it ate a FREAKING BURST says enough. Which means, in certain 50%+ meter situations we can just RTL people when they're on the verge of bursting in our combos.

I think it may have some (very sitautional mind you) purpose as a mid to corner combo ender leaving enough time to lead into a corner setup. THough this is just theory as I haven't seen anyone use SE yet and can't physically play Xrd Ky yet. (inb4 EU get screwed again!)

I can't tell if you're talking about stun edge or sacred edge lol.

Also Ain's new 5d "impossible dust" combo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6NzHWzGDrs#t=3173 

It goes for more damage/meter at the cost of Split Ciel, it seems if you get 3 VT loops, you lose the chance to get a Split Ciel in the corner.

I'm starting to see applications of dc stun edge being used against characters like Venom and Axl, characters who have traditionally stronger zoning/spacing tools than Ky. The fact that dc stun edge appears just about as fast as dc sacred edge and causes kd whenever it hits is amazing honestly.

yeah this has been known for a good while now, you can dodge slidehead but not on reaction so its still just a guess

meaty 3hs run up ciel might be legit i guess and its only like -1 to -3 with big pushback tho wouldnt try it on millia still

possibly late meaty star ciel off hsvt or sweep

maybe, but it does have like 15 frame startup so its not exactly that fast and the little hop looks like its close to the end of it

oh and theres also the possibility that it just has low invuln

Not sure if this has been asked, but how good is Jump Dust?  Can you cancel in to Air Stun Edge from it?  How good is Ky's air game with it?

Seems weaker to me than it was in AC+R. Yea you get gimmicks with shooting stun edges thru it but it seems less active and slower than AC+R. I won't know until I get the game and try it out. But I really don't see much of a reason to be in the air a lot as Ky in Xrd since they took away his knockdown off of Vapor Thrust and nerfed j.S's hitbox back to #R. Like I guess antiair j.K and j.P will still be good but your likely better off using 2H, 6P, airthrow or 5P antiair in terms of reward.

the hitbox is a little larger but the projectile hitbox goes away as soon as youre hit or block something so it wouldnt trade or hit them out like it used to, but it does have utility if you want to get more damage against like sol with new j.hs>j.d gatling and stop him from doing dive kick after teching or against lightweights 

Lol durandal call is so good, in addition to it being able to go thourgh drunkard shade, it goes right through an FDB projectile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxMiqQrHMv0#t=847

Also, Ain has really leveled in skill recently, I haven't seen him play this good in tournaments/casuals like this in either AC nor ACR. I'm really impressed.

@xlol, why aren't there that many strong Ky players? He is a strong character in this iteration of the game, is Ky considered boring by players?

No more surprise Gunflame nonsense like in ACPlusR? lol

By the way I noticed Grinders don't last long.  What's some ways to bring out the best of setting them up and using them?

I know Standing Dust is slow in coming out and highly telegraphed, but if you did it full screen away would it be safe?  And what about Ky's new move? Can he just do that, wiff it, backdash and send something through the Grinder with it?

Actually for that matter, (since Ky lost his air Charged Stun Edge) how low can you set a j.D grinder? (In other words, can you send a standing Stun Edge/Sacred Edge through a j.D grinder if it's low enough?)

Also, I take it that ground CSE no longer has the "FRC float glitch" from previous games...

Also... why is Ky able to eat Bursts with Ride the Lightning?  Players shouldn't be ABLE to Burst during Overdrives. Period.  That's a system rule.

I do near-instant to instant jump Dust all day, so that's why I asked (that's part of my usual gameplan... or was in ACPlus before Xrd happened and nerfed it back to #Reload)

By the way I noticed Grinders don't last long.  What's some ways to bring out the best of setting them up and using them?

I know Standing Dust is slow in coming out and highly telegraphed, but if you did it full screen away would it be safe?  And what about Ky's new move? Can he just do that, wiff it, backdash and send something through the Grinder with it?

Actually for that matter, (since Ky lost his air Charged Stun Edge) how low can you set a j.D grinder? (In other words, can you send a standing Stun Edge/Sacred Edge through a j.D grinder if it's low enough?)

Also, I take it that ground CSE no longer has the "FRC float glitch" from previous games...

Also... why is Ky able to eat Bursts with Ride the Lightning?  Players shouldn't be ABLE to Burst during Overdrives. Period.  That's a system rule.

What do you mean?

What most players go for is to simply do Split Ciel, it's fairly fast and allows for an immediate grinder to be placed in front of you.
Also low to the ground jd is possible too, but no one uses 5d anymore for a grinder seal. It does provide for some interesting mind games if blocked because you can always fire projectiles through it still and damaging combos in the corner if it lands.

So long as the hitboxes of Ky's projectiles coincide in any way with the hit boxes of the grinders, then it'll turn into a durandal call. You don't need to back dash after a Split Ciel, it perfectly positions a grinder after you do it.

Also... why is Ky able to eat Bursts with Ride the Lightning?  Players shouldn't be ABLE to Burst during Overdrives. Period.  That's a system rule.

Yes, the FRC float is gone :(

There is a certain period of time in a combo that leads into a super which allows you to burst out of the combo right before the super enters the "unable to burst" state. I know, because my friend did that to me when I did a meaty ACR 3hs>RTL and he burst out of RTL. So now, because RTL is 100% projectile invincible, and since bursts are projectiles, he would no longer be able to burst out of my meaty Xrd 6hs>RTL, on startup frames.

Someone who is more frame and system savvy could explain this bursting ability better than I can I'm sure.

@xlol, why aren't there that many strong Ky players? He is a strong character in this iteration of the game, is Ky considered boring by players?

it's because the fact that he's still ky in the end, as in that no matter how good they make him he's still gotta work harder than most to win because he's straight forward and also he lost many of the tricks he gained in AC and +R

when machaboo said sol is pretty much a stronger ky in xrd he wasn't joking, his otg 2k>gf yrc oki is as good as or even better than ky's otg 5k/2k>cse yrc, and let's not forget the new almighty fafnir

ground fireballs are too low to pass through rising j.d

im assuming the gunflame thing youre talking about is it trading with rtl, cuz yeah that wont happen anymore but it's always been a terrible idea to reversal super against sol anyways

the cse frc glitch didnt really contribute much, some characters just duck under it and you give up crossup options

iirc if you burst at the same time of the startup of super it will still go off

it's because the fact that he's still ky in the end, as in that no matter how good they make him he's still gotta work harder than most to win because he's straight forward and also he lost many of the tricks he gained in AC and +R

when machaboo said sol is pretty much a stronger ky in xrd he wasn't joking, his otg 2k>gf yrc oki is as good as or even better than ky's otg 5k/2k>cse yrc, and let's not forget the new almighty fafnir

Hmmmm makes sense, Sol is very strong in this iteration and arguably better than Ky, despite his own personal improvements. It kinda sucks there aren't that many powerful Ky players anymore at this point. Especially after machabo stopped playing Ky, do you think he'll go back to his original main anytime soon?

Or will we just have Roz, Ain, Hayashi, and that Sya guy (I think that's his gamertag)?

Yeah, I kinda got in the bad habit of trading Gunflame spam for RTL and paid the price on dumb timing in AC+R (stupid Gunflame hitbox).

Hmmmm makes sense, Sol is very strong in this iteration and arguably better than Ky, despite his own personal improvements. It kinda sucks there aren't that many powerful Ky players anymore at this point. Especially after machabo stopped playing Ky, do you think he'll go back to his original main anytime soon?

Or will we just have Roz, Ain, Hayashi, and that Sya guy (I think that's his gamertag)?

unlikely that he'll return to ky in this version of the game since he's wants to play to win at the moment

rozu's doing pretty well along with ain, hayashi went back to +r after the first 2 months i believe, syo's just a guy that plays all day, you should look out for chonari's ky in monte carlo and a-cho vids

Yeah, I kinda got in the bad habit of trading Gunflame spam for RTL and paid the price on dumb timing in AC+R (stupid Gunflame hitbox).

......stop trying to rtl it? all this tells me you don't actually know how to play against sol

unlikely that he'll return to ky in this version of the game since he's wants to play to win at the moment

rozu's doing pretty well along with ain, hayashi went back to +r after the first 2 months i believe, syo's just a guy that plays all day, you should look out for chonari's ky in monte carlo and a-cho vids

......stop trying to rtl it? all this tells me you don't actually know how to play against sol

He seems to alternate with that a lot in GG, playing with his main and enjoying it, and playing a top tier character lol. Makes me wonder why he bothered to play and be the best Ky player in first place. I'll still hope he'll go back to Ky at one point or another.

Is chonari the green Ky player who appeared in the latest Xrd 11 minute upload who bodied a bunch of Sol players? If so, I was pretty impressed. I guess Hayashi didn't like Xrd's RC system, he always thrived with the AC RC system by doing the most difficult and damaging combos in matches.

So I got to mess around with Xrd Ky all of once at EVO because the lines were ridiculously long.

He's basically #R Ky all over again, with some fancy stuff tacked on and he can do combos a lot easier than in #R.

Pretty much any combo that works in #R works in Xrd as far as I can tell. Including the return of far S into stun dipper which is a huge plus, and the old pinball VT combo (6P 5S 2HS VT RC air dash, land repeat).

YRC air SE is not really as good as I had hoped it would be. Definitely a step down from AC and +R as it is simply too slow.

YRC greed sever is interesting. You can air dash off of it, which leads to some rather interesting options.

One thing I did note is that the YRC system is very unfriendly to people who double tap inputs as you can apparently YRC neutral for some godforsaken reason, so I would do multiple consecutive YRCs by accident quite often.

Overall he was pretty fun to run. I think I'll pick him up in Xrd instead of Bedman, pending my testing of Sin and Sol.