Shinobi!

[Xrd] King Ky - Gameplay Discussion

Adding j.K before it can work, as well. Just depends on when you think they'll burst.

While between 25-49% tension, follow every air normal with an RC input. Since you can't PRC under 50%, you'll just do a normal air combo if your opponent doesn't burst. If he does burst, getting him out of hitstun, you'll YRC the last air normal you did.

Not sure if I'm following.

f.S is your go to counter poke, whereas 6H is almost exclusively used as okizeme. The former should be used to whiff punish and stuff run ins at mid range, where the latter is best used to keep the other guy blocking on wakeup.

c.S > 6HS is combo on counter hit. Yeah, 6HS is too slow to be used as a trap.

About counter hits : I've tried to counter Sol's and Chipp's DPs, but both won't be on counter hit state upon landing. Is that normal? When do I need to hit them for a counter hit to land?

Ky's combo without CH are kinda limited

Check the frame data to be sure, but I'm pretty sure they're only in CH state up to the end of active frames.

6hs is still good for people that want to dash in and resetting pressure/jacking up gb

For resets, sure. I'm not exactly comfortable using it as a way to beat run ins, though I guess if you have the meter to YRC it's not much of a gamble...

Still don't know what exactly he's asking, though.

I'm basically just seeing if anyone's come up with consistent setups to entice people to press buttons when pressing those two buttons at advantage, is all. 

I'm not the kind of player that uses f.S preemptively, so I'm afraid I can't offer much there. I have seen some people make good reads with f.S and follow up with a 3H -> GS combo. My thing with that is, if you knew it was coming, why didn't you GS it in the first place?

I can't say I've landed too many counter hit 6H's outside of oki, but I can tell you that a blocked 6H gives you all the options in the world. One thing I do a lot midscreen is meaty 6H xx 6H, confirm that they're blocking high and then do Stun Dipper. Obviously it's not 100% safe unless you have meter to RC, but it's a pretty reliable way to get the other guy knocked down in/near the corner.

You can also run forward -> c.S/throw OS, 5K/FD OS, etc. Just about any OS you can think of will work in that situation. Also, 6K YRC tick throws. Those are pretty gross.

You don't really need to use f.S preemptively to use it effectively. Usually when I catch people with a Counter hit or Crouching hit f.S, it's when I'm harassing them in neutral. Regarding reads, I mean it depends on the situation, you may not be at a great range where you can properly convert off a raw greed sever. It's much less risky to toss out f.S since there's much less commitment and more options on block; and most of the combo routes starting with f.S lead to more damage than raw Greed Sever.

I can't high jump after Greed Sever. I don't know why, my Ky won't high jump, just a normal jump.

Is the buffer in this game so small? D:

sad discovery: RC does not remove ground recovery on j.D and air stun edge :( i was hoping to squeeze a little bit of mixup  or a safe jump-in out of j.D YRC, but now i don't know if it's worht it or not.

didn't test with Vapor Thrust RC

For some reason, the stun dipper link from split ciel is kicking my ass.  I probably just need more practice, but I had a hell of a time getting through Ky's trials just due to that one thing.

So I've been told there is a Ky skype chat group? Anybody here in it? I'm looking to practice with Ky and having people to train with would be helpful.

For some reason, the stun dipper link from split ciel is kicking my ass.  I probably just need more practice, but I had a hell of a time getting through Ky's trials just due to that one thing.

Same here to an extent. Watching the feet of the opponent (right after they start staggering backward - they take that initial big lunge back, for me I try to input immediately as that large lunge is over and their feet are shuffling in place) and inputting Stun Dipper makes me success rate about 50%, but I'm having a hard time bringing that up to something decent (like, say 90%).

I assume it's just a muscle memory thing you gotta practice.

EDIT: Spent 20 more mins dicking around with it, something else that seems to be helping me is inputting the 236 very slowly. Slower than I'm naturally inclined to. Then mash K (or tap it twice) after the slow 236K is complete. New visual cue is when the lightning around Ky's arm goes away to start the slow 236 motion.

I have it now at maybe 70%? It's not easy-mode, that's for sure.

EDIT: Spent 20 more mins dicking around with it, something else that seems to be helping me is inputting the 236 very slowly. Slower than I'm naturally inclined to. Then mash K (or tap it twice) after the slow 236K is complete. New visual cue is when the lightning around Ky's arm goes away to start the slow 236 motion.

I have it now at maybe 70%? It's not easy-mode, that's for sure.

For whatever reason, the slow input on 236 seems to help a lot.

I'll third the slower motion on things coming out.  I don't think I've ever played a character this "slow" in execution requirements.  Actually slowing myself down and being precise has presented better results overall playing Ky.

I'll third the slower motion on things coming out.  I don't think I've ever played a character this "slow" in execution requirements.  Actually slowing myself down and being precise has presented better results overall playing Ky.

Except for doing the DP after 3H 214K. You gotta wait for Ky to touch the ground and then input that DP as fast as possible - I'm having more trouble with that then 236K off split ciel now, which I don't even bother with visual cues anymore (just take a small break after the hit and do the input super slow, tap K twice, and you're good).

BTW another random tip, a good visual cue for comboing 3H from 6H (obviously when 6H connects at a distance, as otherwise you could cSfS) is to wait for Ky to move his sword all the way back (in other words, finish his swing). Then tap 3H. Less annoying than mashing and I also find it more consistent.