Shinobi!

[Xrd] King Ky - Gameplay Discussion

Is Ky bad in air-to-air situations? A bunch of characters seem to be able to just literally mash their j.P and have it beat almost everything (except super early j.HS). Millia can convert hers into a knockdown and start her usual nonsense, and Ramlethal can also confirm into j.D which has huge untech time and let her set swords, etc. Is it a timing thing or can Ky really not challenge the top tiers in the air?
I'm also finding 6P anti-air really really difficult to use, it seems way too slow now. I think that's just me not being used to it yet though.

ky actually has one of the strongest air to air game in xrd, characters with air normals that don't have very good reach downward are susceptible to being bullied by j.p, j.k has ridiculous range and speed, one thing to know about ky's air to air is that he's better at following them on reaction after they've jumped

6p's still pretty strong, the hitbox isn't as good as it was in ac, takes some getting used to

Does damage scaling work the same way in this game as the older ones? Like, does Greed Sever scale the hits after it moreso than other moves would for instance? I really cant tell, to me it just looks like guts just handles the damage now...

how much will I lose out on if I don't use this fancy new(3H, 236D) and just pretend I'm still playing #R? Those little...gate things from 236D, in challenge most of the combos that set them didn't put me in a position to use them afterward.

Well you won't miss out TOO much without 3HS, but Kys main "gimmick" in this game seems to be ending a combo with a split ciel that knocks down, then doing CSE, yrc, running jump into any of several high /low mixups, which might let you combo back into split ciel to start it all over again. Other than that it seems like pretty much business as usual for Ky.

I've been playing around a lot with 3HS recently, and I really like its applications.  Main uses:

Round start:  CH 5S > 3HS > GS > sj.S > sj.HS > HSVT is my favorite.  You can also get silly confirms into 3HS > GS from f.S and 6HS.  If you want to make a blockstring out of it, cancel into S Stun Edge instead of Greed Sever.

236D...is the reason to play Ky.  The amount of silly stuff it lets you do is absolutely absurd.  Hard knockdown in corner combos, free oki that lasts pretty much forever, if it hits you have days to confirm and go back into another oki setup (main high/low I do is 5K/5D, because lolstandinglow).

No reason to not utilize the new 3HS.  Before, the best thing you can confirm from a far 5S is Stun Dipper (but if you misjudge the spacing, the Stun Dipper won't combo) or just a Stun Edge.   Now, you can very easily confirm a far 5S into 3HS->Greed Sever into whatever combo you want for a decent amount of damage.  

want a instant overhead with ky?Back dash so he hops. yrc then quickly hit slash for his  instant overhead. everything must be done quickly. 

I haven't quite got the timing down for that yet but a friend told me about it and it's definitely worth using.

yeah his back dash yrc over head in pretty god like, since u can use slash for decent range.Unlike most of the other character that can do the trick they usually dont have the range.

I figured it out once I saw sol back dash caused him to be airbrone.i posted a topic on it a few days ago in the general discussion.

Well, I am completely new to this game and I have a question. Sometimes the second hit of 236K does not hit and I dunno why, what should I do? Thanks in advance.

The second hit only connects at certain ranges. The farther you are, the better. If you're missing it in combos, delay the cancel between the last move you did and Stun Dipper a bit.

Hey guys. What's a motion I could do to get IAD/sj. IAD forward, Stun Edge ASAP without getting Vapor Thrust?

Neither of those work.

Youre trying to get Air stun edge out ASAP after IAD? If yes, cant doing anything about it since SE and VT motion overlap each other. Gotta wait for the IAD Input to be "deleted" in the system, wait for buffer to refresh or you will still have the forward motion there when you start doing 236. Have to do Air SE very late, any earlier and you get Air VT.

Is there any normal or certain spacing on some normals, where we can cancel into SE and still get the YRC on SE? I cant believe we have to do a raw SE to get a YRC. I look at Sols GF YRC and Im like, wtf is this shit? Missing ma good old SE FRC :(

Can Sol even do what you described? I'm pretty sure you can only get a yrc if the opponent is not in any kind of block or hit stun. Stun Edge comes out pretty damn fast at the ranges that you'd be able to hit someone with something like a punch with little hit stun. I'd say the biggest advantage Sol has with Gunflame yrc is his follow up moves are typically more safe so he gets to kind of go ham after. Either way the main goal of yrc-ing your projectile is to get the opponent to jump, then you go for airgrab or j.K, or 2HS. The other advantage sol has in this situation is some characters can go under Stun Edge.

One frame gap inbetween 5P/2K/2P/5K into stun edge. If you can hit that gap you can do 2K>236S>YRC as a blockstring. I haven't done it personally but another Ky player tells me you can cancel 2D late on the active frames to get the the stun edge YRC for pressure.

Can Sol even do what you described? I'm pretty sure you can only get a yrc if the opponent is not in any kind of block or hit stun. Stun Edge comes out pretty damn fast at the ranges that you'd be able to hit someone with something like a punch with little hit stun. I'd say the biggest advantage Sol has with Gunflame yrc is his follow up moves are typically more safe so he gets to kind of go ham after. Either way the main goal of yrc-ing your projectile is to get the opponent to jump, then you go for airgrab or j.K, or 2HS. The other advantage sol has in this situation is some characters can go under Stun Edge.

He has a big YRC input window (up to roughly mid travel distance of his GF) and his projectile travels slow. I can do POINT BLANK CLOSE S and still get the YRC. Or to top it one more, dash in 2H, GF all at shoving range.That shit is just wrong.

Rechecked it in Pmode, 50% Meter start.

Yeah that's pretty lame, so because his projectile is slow enough to not really ever combo, he gets to basically add a mixup and more pressure at the end of some combos for 25%. But Ky isn't meant to play like Sol, so it's not that big a deal IMO. We still get perks like a full screen projectile travel distance, air projectiles, yrc cse and yrc DC cse. Instead of fast paced continuous pressure we go for knockdowns and oki pressure.

The second hit only connects at certain ranges. The farther you are, the better. If you're missing it in combos, delay the cancel between the last move you did and Stun Dipper a bit.

Thank you for the help.

Going back to the stun edge yrc... I've seen Sol players otg people which forces the tech then cancel to gunflame yrc. There should be a way to use this with ky as well, but to probably not as good of a use.