Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP1.1] Valkenhayn Changes and Discussion

Thread is for posting the confirmed changes made to Valk in the May update.

• This is not a wishlist thread. Any of that talk will result in an infraction.

Valkenhayn Changes
  • Wolf Gauge – Anytime Valkenhayn transforms into a human, the time before the Wolf Gauge recovers has been increased. (Gauge cooldown is about a second, by a stopwatch)
  • wj.A – Combo starter time has been decreased. (VS starter)
  • wj.B – Combo starter time has been decreased. (S starter)
  • Ground Konig Wolf (Wolf cannons) – Decreased the startup time (22-20f)
  • Sturm Wulf – Is now a catch attack instead of a full animation super. Increased speed of the animation portion.
  • wjA > w5B > w5C > 6D > jA > 5D > 5B: Combo drops at 5B
  • wjA > w5C > 5 Cannons (2300 damage)
  • 6A CH floats higher

I would just like to say that Dreize hit the nail on the head, I was thinking the same thing. We don't know how fast his ground beast cannon is and we don't know how much they've nerfed the combo starter time from wj.A/B. I suspected wj.B got hit hard maybe because of wj.C > brjB? Also seems like no more wolf loops from those two confirms? Or we'd have to use less. Apparently the jump attacks having increased P1 is a mistranslation, it's actually nerfed, so this hinders Valks wj.A/B even more.

Anyway, aside from the beast cannon buff which makes it easier to punish whiffs in neutral (I'm thinking this may also have some sort of effect on > w5C > 236A > 5D > 2C combos), the other changes seem to really compliment the nerf in his wolf regeneration. wj.A having less combo time paired with increased wolf guage recovery means we probably can't use wj.A as much, increased speed in Sturm means we don't regenerate as much wolf meter etc. Seems like they're trying to shift the emphasis to w5C, wj.C, command grabs, and human interchange mixups. He will still remain very strong regardless.

So, I'm understanding the Sturm change as that it only goes through the full animation if the first hit lands? If so, I'd count that as a buff as well. It won't be so very easy to punish anymore. I wonder how much of a practical difference the animation length will make on meter regen... I think I like the sound of it more overall, now.

(I'm thinking this may have some sort of effect on > w5C > 236A > 5D > 2C combos).

Was thinking the exact same thing actually. Wonder if w[5C > 236A] will connect properly, that would be hilarious.

So basically these are the key questions that we have left regarding his changes:

1. How fast are grounded beast cannons now?

2. After transforming into human mode how long does it take for Valkenhayn to start regenerating wolf meter?

3. Is w[j.B] going to go from a N starter to a S or VS starter? Or is there some other possible option?

4. Is w[j.A] going to go from a S starter to a VS starter? Or is there some other possible option?

5. Right now this is our standard midscreen w[j.A] BnB - j.A > 5B > 5C > 6D > j.A > 5D > h[5B > 5C > j.A > j.B > dj.B > j.C] [2028 DMG, 16 HG]. How much shorter can they make this exactly? Will we even have legitimate combos off of w[j.A] now? This is probably the most important question.

Sturm Wolf change seems to be a buff/nerf. Regardless, it's not particularly important either way.

I'm hoping they become some kind of special starter, because they didn't write clearly "wjA switched from S starter to VS starter" so there's still hope.

(Some moves has special frame datas that doesn't fit in attack levels for instance, so it's likely it'll go that way too.)

(In that regard, I'm happy they removed corner black hole because with the new Sturm Wolf we probably wouldn't have been able to get out of the setups anymore)

These changes are frustrating to me. Guess they wanted to nerf the following setups: schwarz (whiff) > w[6D > j.B > j.C > etc.] is a double overhead setup that I use often, instant overhead wj.A is also something I use often, general IAD wj.A is also something I use often...gah. Gotta suck it up but still! As it was mention earlier we still don't know how the combos can turnout with these starters, so time to use wj.C more often (I sometimes forget I have this tool...).

wjA>w5B>wC>6DJA>5B drops at 5B

wjA>wC>4cannon and super? 2300 damage (4ケニアイゼンで2300くらい)

gauge cooldown is about a second, by a stopwatch

throw dmg 1400

backstep doesn't seem to have changed much

more on @takenokox0

The sadness. >.<' Perhaps omitting the w5B and going straight to w5C would make the combo work?

#RIP brjA

throw dmg 1400

Lol.

Yo. From Xie's Twitter:

'On closer inspection Valk's gauge does no build during hitstop. Was it always like that? It's very noticible now.' here

'I think Valk will end up midish, as the C button starters are still good, but his reward in neutral seems much worse, esp corner carry.' here.

Reading takenoko's posts.. He's pretty sad about wj.A haha.

But he says in his "Thoughts on Valk" post that he still thinks he's a strong character.

The sadness. >.<' Perhaps omitting the w5B and going straight to w5C would make the combo work?

Nah, best thing you could get by omitting the w5B would be that your 5B hit but you'll still be unable to do anything behind it so it comes down to the same.

Imo they just killed all the fun in the char (I don't really care about the char being mid but he just seems so booooooring now)

Looks like my biggest fears regarding his changes are finally starting to show their true colors.

But hey, maybe this'll be just like the CSEX ---> CP transition. Maybe it all looks really bad but everything will end up being okay....right....guys?

When I said "How much shorter can they even make our shortest combos?" I was honestly hoping for more than 3 hits...

Thanks for the info though, Errol.

wolf j.B leads to the same combo

By "same combo" do you mean the combo before the patch or the same 3 hit combo listed above?

throw dmg 1400

Just what we needed, hah.

Reading takenoko's posts.. He's pretty sad about wj.A haha.

But he says in his "Thoughts on Valk" post that he still thinks he's a strong character.

Where can you find Takenoko's thoughts? Always loved the player for his patience.

Nah, best thing you could get by omitting the w5B would be that your 5B hit but you'll still be unable to do anything behind it so it comes down to the same.

Imo they just killed all the fun in the char (I don't really care about the char being mid but he just seems so booooooring now)

Thanks for clarifying. Guess the brj.A midscreen combo would be brj.A > w5B > w5C > ...oki? lol I don't know much about combo creation beyond seeing what Japanese/other players come up with, so I'm anxious to see how his play style changes.

I mean...I guess this is one way of patching a strong character? Take away his combos so that he can't really do anything when he gets a hit. Uhm.

Anyways, you can take a look at his twitter: https://twitter.com/takenokox0 assuming of course that you can read Japanese.

It's not just brj.A that's looking useless right now, it's w[j.A] in general (outside of combo filler, perhaps). I see no point in spending wolf meter for a 3 hit combo that does no damage/has no corner carry/and leaves you with negative wolf meter. w[j.B] isn't looking too hot either.

It seems like one of my earlier suspicions proved to be correct if I'm not reading this incorrectly.

Wonder if w[5C > 236A] will connect properly, that would be hilarious.

wjA>wC>4cannon and super? 2300 damage (4ケニアイゼンで2300くらい)

w[5C > 236A] now works because of the start-up buff?

w.JB was going to same combos as before the tweaks I think.

and he hasn't had proration on his wolf normals cut. tsubaki some combos were dropping from like 1900 to 1700 because of the p1 nerf on jump normals.

probably still strong, I guess.

We are just back to square one anyway. Waiting for arcade videos and hoping that Uma no Hone/Zekuso/Suya/Takenoko or whatever Valk bro will find something.

If they all drop him like CP Arakune though, the answer is clear.

Based on Takenoko though, we have a buff that we totally needed:

6A on CH floats higher !

Let's just hope that there is/are other unannounced changes that might fix the situation.

Seems like what I said before is right. There is going to be more reliance on wj.C (> brj.B), command grabs and human interchange mixups. They've done a good job at weakening brjA, that was too good.

It'll be interesting to see who is still using him after this...

http://t.co/3bRal2qp0E

D-D-Don't ban me please.

Seriously I just don't know, the chars looks both weak and boring right now ;/

Unless his C moves are instant kill right now or something.

That is so depressing!

People are definitely going to be dropping this character. I on the other hand am not dropping Valk/never dropping Valk.

w.JB was going to same combos as before the tweaks I think.

and he hasn't had proration on his wolf normals cut. tsubaki some combos were dropping from like 1900 to 1700 because of the p1 nerf on jump normals.

probably still strong, I guess.

Weird.

If w[j.B] got nerfed from a N starter to a S or VS starter he should not be getting the same combos as he was pre-patch. Plus the nerf was listed on their official site.

Maybe they changed their mind or something? I wonder if that's even in the realm of possibility. Hmm.

Lmao.

If w5C > 236A works now, shouldn't that help with combo routes off wj.A? Not much, but somewhat? I mean either way, based on the info given it sounds like they changed wj.A to a VS starter, so a really short combo should be all you get off it.

Either way, with the wolf cannons and wj.A/B changes, sounds combo routes will need to be reoptimized? :/