Kazuki Slice

[Xrd] King Ky - Combo/Setup Listing and Discussion

char specific dust combos

may: 5d>homing dash>c.s>6p>5hs>3hs>hsvt>2hs>ciel>2hs(1)>ciel
elphelt and ramlethal: 5d>homing dash>c.s>6p>c.s>2hs(1)>hsvt>2hs>ciel>2hs>ciel
millia: 5d>homing dash>c.s>6p>c.s>2hs(1)>hsvt>2hs>hsvt>c.s>ciel
i-no: 5d>homing dash>c.s>6p>c.s>2hs(1)>hsvt>2hs>ciel>2hs>ciel
chipp, sol, ky: 5d>homing dash>c.s>6p>5hs>dash c.s>f.s>3hs>gs>delay hsvt>2hs(1)>ciel
leo: 5d>homing dash>c.s>6p>5hs>3hs>gs>delay hsvt>2hs>hsvt>c.s>ciel
slayer: 5d>homing dash>c.s>6p>5hs>3hs>delay hsvt>2hs>ciel>2hs(1)>ciel
bedman: 5d>homing dash>c.s>6p>5hs>3hs>gs>hsvt>5hs>ciel
pot: 5d>homing dash>c.s>6p>5hs>3hs>gs>2hs(1)>hsvt>2hs(2)>ciel>2hs>ciel

The last instant kill combo in the corner section makes absolutely no sense to me.

2S > 5S? And apparently hsvt, land, c.s into DC cse after a wall dust?

The last instant kill combo in the corner section makes absolutely no sense to me.

2S > 5S? And apparently hsvt, land, c.s into DC cse after a wall dust?

sorry it should be 2S>5HS. The rest of the combo is correct

some combos listed here state 6HS into GS, is that even possible. i can't get it.

Combos that do 6HS>GS are either Potemkin specific or CH 6HS(1hit)

Most common dust combos for medium and heavy weight characters that most people use (myself included) is:

5D (homing dash) 5S, 6P, 5S, 2HS xx Greed Sever, 2HS xx HSVT, 5S xx Split Seal. About 135 damage.

If you are dusting a light character, the combo remains the same except you at taking the 2HS xx Greed Sever part OUT of the combo.

I don't do the double 6HS dust combos anymore because the 2nd 6HS whiffs on some characters (I think against Faust and Millia? Maybe some others).

Haven't checked the rest of the dust combo variations but the most damaging one that I've seen yet was something Clayton / Final Showdown just posted on his Ky scraps video:

5D (homing dash) 6P, 5S, 5HS, (micro dash) 5S, f.5S, 3HS xx Greed Sever, HSVT, 2HS xx HSVT. Does about 151 damage. No split seal ender though - but very damaging if you already have RISC bar cranked up, or if you want a combo that will finish your opponent off. Works on most medium weight characters but seems a bit hard to do on Venom.

I played GG since #R, but between AC and now, I have not touched Guilty Gear.  It's really hard to get back into, and I'm finding the way combos are listed on threads like this pretty unintuitive.  Props for sure for listing so many combos and taking the time to format, update, and prune everything, but for someone trying to learn Ky these aren't really too helpful vs. just watching a match video and writing down what I see.

Once I figure it all out for myself I will be sure to make a nice post for how I would want it presented (so that I don't just critique without contributing) but for now I'm just really confused.  It's good to see how to start each combo, but a player just trying to pick up Ky probably wants combos that lead into the best setups.  For instance a go-to mid-screen combo that ends in slide, a corner combo that ends in both the ability to do a ciel-CHS and a YRC CHS (or 6HS meaty), and one or two anti-air combos e.g. one off 6p and one off 2HS.  Someone posted earlier asking for "His BnB combos," and I can tell he's feeling confused like I am.  I am already doing the work to figure out which of these are the go-to BnBs that I'm talking about, but I need to play more matches to confirm everything.  Sometimes a combo that seems very practical on paper is actually harder to land in a real match than it seemed.  

Also (another) question about this combo: 6HS > c.S > f.S > 3HS > GS > j.S > JC > j.S > j.HS > HSVT

It seems like it originally was listed like this, then someone thought it had to be jump installed with h.j, so it was revised to have a JI, then it was determined that in the console version it DID NOT need to be jump installed, so it was revised again into its current form?

If it doesn't need a JI, then how can you do a h.j into j.S JC j.S after the GS?  Isn't this two jumps after a h.j, which would normally need a JI?  Is the JI automatic in the console version for some reason?  I've tried this dozens of time and I cannot jump cancel the j.S, but I haven't been able to JI it either for some reason.  Is this combo really worth doing mid-screen off a 6HS?  Unless the extra damage will kill, isn't it probably best to just combo into knockdown?

Maybe it doesn't need a h.j anymore?  If not, then does j.S without a h.j actually ever hit?  It doesn't seem like it will hit without h.j to me.

I don't mean to be super critical, but I just wanted to give my impression as someone trying to learn Ky from this thread.  

I only play Ky on the side but I'll try to help.

For instance a go-to mid-screen combo that ends in slide

5K cl.S 6K 2K 5H 236S, or 5K 5H 6K 236D 5S 236K. The problem is that Ky has so much combo variation and so much of it is very spacing and character specific because the higher damage ones usually involve 6K, and completely universal combos are a little rare. Often you really only care about comboing into the range where Stun Dipper combos correctly, and if you're scared to do that just do 2D 236H for oki. On a lot of characters you can end combos with 2D 236K for consistency, but that doesn't work on some characters, like Chipp.

a corner combo that ends in both the ability to do a ciel-CHS and a YRC CHS (or 6HS meaty),

starter > 2 reps dashing cl.S 2H(1) 623H > dashing cl.S > 236D

and one or two anti-air combos e.g. one off 6p and one off 2HS.

6P 2H(1) (jc) j.S (jc) j.S j.H j.623H

Off 2H, if you get a 1-hit CH, you can dash cl.S 2H(1) j.S (jc) j.S j.H j.623H. Otherwise you just do the 6P combo without the 6P starter.

Also (another) question about this combo: 6HS > c.S > f.S > 3HS > GS > j.S > JC > j.S > j.HS > HSVT

If it requires a SJ, you need to do a SJI to double jump. I personally just go for 3H > 214K > 623H > 236H oki, but that might be character and spacing specific.

Thanks!  That's all super super helpful, I can't believe I forgot about SJI :(  

I'm at work so I can't test this atm, but:

On the corner combo by "starter" you mean "launcher" right? Like 236K RC or an anti-air?  Or do you mean this works from the ground?

It looks like in the corner you can also just do variants of c.S 6k 236D 236K to set up the Ciel CSE.  I'm seeing Ain do this a lot and it seems like a really simple way to set up good oki without spending meter.  Is this very character specific?  I think I saw him do it on multiple characters.

There's several different routes you can go. I'm wary of doing 236K at anything other than max range, so if I'm in the corner I'll usually go for something into VT loop into ciel, or do the combo you just listed and replace the 236K with 2D. With the 2D, if you've got meter you can go into Sacred Edge and the combos that follow the wall stick.

^That sounds great I'm going to have to test that out myself!

Has anyone had any luck getting this Venom variation on RC Throw combos to work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORdz0cycGRg&list=LLjAhxRTH4H4sCVUCIxTViYQ&index=1

He seems to micro dash > VT, but I can't get that to work. If I just cancel VT 2H(1), I can't get the c.S, 2H loop afterwards.

Has ANYONE gotten ANY of these combos to work?

Yeah, I've tried that, to no avail. I just wanted to confirm that they actually work.

the video obviously shows that the combo works, you understand the necessary inputs... what are you asking? if someone can do the combo? clearly the guy who made the video did and i got it last night after about 20 minutes of messing around.

Maybe I'm missing something but I still can't get that very last combo in the first post to work. It says at the end to dust, homing dash, hsvt, c.s, then cse which is supposed to hit the seal, then you ik. Dummy keeps recovering after the c.s before the cse even comes out.

Edit: Derp, I finally got it.

I have seen lots of matches and sometimes Ky instead of oki with 236HS he does 6HS. But when I do it I get grabbed which doesn't happen to the Japanese players I see in videos. Is there any delay I have to do to avoid this?

Your standing too close when you do it. The animation is misleading as ky is standing further back than it looks. It should beat everything other than Reversal Blitz and Elphelt Reversal Super (4f is why) when done correctly. If they throw and you space it correctly it will hit them, if they DP/super you'll recover and they'll whiff/you block for a punish and if they backdash you recover way sooner and can maybe punish if your quick enough on the reaction to it.

Your standing too close when you do it. The animation is misleading as ky is standing further back than it looks. It should beat everything other than Reversal Blitz and Elphelt Reversal Super (4f is why) when done correctly. If they throw and you space it correctly it will hit them, if they DP/super you'll recover and they'll whiff/you block for a punish and if they backdash you recover way sooner and can maybe punish if your quick enough on the reaction to it.

Thanks, I didnt get grabbed today lol

6HS > c.S > f.S > 3HS > GS > j.S > JC > j.S > j.HS > HSVT

Is this combo character specific? I haven't been able to get the first j.S to hit on Millia, Ramlethal, Sin, or Elphelt no matter how I attempted to alter the timing of the jump or the GS.

against millia and ramlethal you hj.s>j.hs>vt

against sin you have to delay the j.s a little

elphelt floats too high after gs and you can barely combo into a hsvt off it, best to just do ground combo on her

One more question: are there no universal combos off of 6HS starter in the corner? If not, how necessary would you say it is I learn each of the character specific variants listed just starting out?

One more question: are there no universal combos off of 6HS starter in the corner? If not, how necessary would you say it is I learn each of the character specific variants listed just starting out?

You can just do the grounded combos instead of the juggles and that will be universal.

Having a bit of trouble with Mission No.33.

236HS > YRC > Cl.S > 6H, 3C > 214K > 623HS > 2HS(1) > 236D

I'm having a tough time connecting the 2HS(1) after 623HS.

Is there a specific timing to that which I'm not aware of? I see the Sample many times, but I still don't understand how it connects. I've been doing it as close to the Sample as possible, but the opponent always seems to recover before I can land 2HS.

Having a bit of trouble with Mission No.33.

236HS > YRC > Cl.S > 6H, 3C > 214K > 623HS > 2HS(1) > 236D

I'm having a tough time connecting the 2HS(1) after 623HS.

Is there a specific timing to that which I'm not aware of? I see the Sample many times, but I still don't understand how it connects. I've been doing it as close to the Sample as possible, but the opponent always seems to recover before I can land 2HS.

Its just the timing.

I think you are missing the Vapor Thrust time after Greed Sever, try not to do it too fast.