Kyle

May vs Potemkin

Posted ImagePotemkin

Stats 5.0/5.0 Dead Equal.

Great Video Examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GynWPj1HJRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgFA3Y2G94o

Openers

Do NOT dolphin for the first move as he has multiple ways to beat it out, and should be expecting it.

POT backdash – IAD back and give yourself space.

POT Megafist – CH. J.S, remember to follow up with the Delay Air dash combo. (loses to heat extend)

POT Hammerfall ---- Guard, watch for Hammerfall feint PB.

POT 6P -3K on reaction.

POT Slidehead- 5K, 2D if in range, if not use 5K, 5FS.

Openers against Pot are HORRIBLE. He has an answer to every one of your offensive openers. Even if you try to be defensive via Backdash (slidehead, hammerfall), IAD back (Head extend), block ( hammerfall feint mind game) he destroy you. Be very understanding of the risk associated with your fist move. Be sure to build a mind game off of that as your next first move will give you the needed advantage.

Punishes

Hammerfall - run in for a 5S. 2HS. FBSHD… if your in range and have tension, if not nab the OHK.

Judge Gauntlet - Flash guard this. OHK, or jump cancel and do J.2HS. The super cancel isn’t worth it.

Slide Head – 5K this on REACTION .

j.D-- jump into it and flash guard then falling j.K, J.D, J.HS, J.D. 6P is Dangerous as he can move in the air.

NEVER Slash-Back in this fight.

Counters

Hammerfall - Pot is in a CH state during its duration so if u happen to hit him twice before he hits you, the 2nd hit is a CH. 2S, HSVD if you want.

j.HS- 6HS rocks this, do not Air throw, you will get CH. I lost to Marn’s Pot because of this.

Slide Head – 5K combo, Do not dolphin as it will PUNISH you with his upper body Invinc…l

Anti-airing

Pot in the air is not exactly a go-to strat for most pot players that i've watched...but...when they do...know that just about every move beats out every option May has....by beat out, I mean you'll either trade hits (normally not in your favor...but sometimes your forced to settle with this option) or he wins. Pot's j.D is hard to 6P as he moves on top of you. Pot’s J.HS and J.S can beat out dolphin. A 5HS trade is ok against Pot’s J.HS. For everything else I would recommend jumping, then flash guarding the air normal, than jump again away from pot as you want to avoid is PB mix-ups.

Basically if he is in the air, he'll throw out normals (J.S, J.HS, J.D) and win. Unless you know for 100% you can nail a high 6HS, just straight up don't fuck with. him in the air DON"T ANTI-AIR HIM. Think of it as free time to run away. or IAD back j.HS. nothing you have beats his j.D efficiently period.

Zoning

Keep away can be your best friend if u actually do it right. Mindless Hoop sets will have you eating Slidehead every time. A MID-SCREEN PB~FRC~f.S~2S~HK is 50ish%. It hurts. SERIOUSLY.

You need to get a hoop set out, preferably P, but don’t eat a slide head, as it punishes Hoops set when pressured and gatlin'd into. While buffering Hoop set 5K on reaction to slide head.

Poking with a max range j.HS is a GREAT idea. Do watch out for heavenly PB (Potemkin Buster).

Their game plan

Jump and throw out a random amazing normal to make you land next to him and guess a mix-up. Poke with 5HS.

Oki - Pots game consists

j.D/j.S (you block) 50/50 mix-up.

Megafist (again you block) 50/50 mix-up. FRC PB.

Hammerfall (cancel) into PB.

Meaty 6HS ~ Slide Head (unless you IB the 6HS than Back Dash, slide head is guaranteed) FRC PB is dirty here too.

Meaty 5k to stuff Back dashes and is a great tick throw, good for Hammerfall feints too.

Slide head immediately (backdash/jump/or 5K to avoid it.)

Super (Aegis Reflector) than Slide head for Unblock on Wake-up. Flash guard than Backdash, or Dead angle to avoid it...sometimes. Only effective if set up after a Heat Knuckle.

Throw Pot-buster while guarding every while landing pressure. Because of this the J.RR works well in this fight, as it delays your landing when he is expecting to PB.

May should be BACK DASHING to avoid MOST of Pot's mix-ups. This loses to hammerfall, which he HAS to spend tension to combo off of.

"Pot vs. May, Pot side:

Judge Gauntlet vs. j.2h is guaranteed, and will turn around if crossed up. Any CH Judge Gauntlet (3k!) can be followed up with 5k 2s Heat or 5k 2s 2h HPB. Slidehead and 6p own dolphins (all kinds) and lead to her dying. Randomly using 6p->Giganter beats a lot of her stuff, is safe on block and combos in the air or on the ground. The Giganter loop is super easy on May if you're feeling cheap. If she OHKs and you PB, you both whiff and you can usually PB again before she recovers (!). If she does a dolphin as part of pressure and there was any gap, you can Hammer Fall to absorb it for a free CH after she bounces off you. You can reflect the FB dolphins on reaction to the FB flash (hard but not really that hard). If you IB a dolphin, you can far S (to either 2s->Heat if air or 2d if ground) for free. j.S can beat her j.H if timed properly. Use any blocked or missed 3k as a free CH 2h -> GGPO. Her 5k on your wakeup loses to Slidehead (yeah!), anything else except 2p 2p 2p (woo, 10 dmg) or 3k (risky) loses to backdash PB.

May side, as speculatively experienced by a Pot player:

You can react to a Hammerfall with 3k. You will hit, Pot will completely whiff meaning he has to FRC, and if he doesn't FRC you recover quickly enough to hit him and combo. Dumb.

Random cross-up dolphin dolphin (dolphin dolphin dolphin) 2d is very hard for him to deal with. Both D and [D] get backdash PB'd, CH combo'd, or Judge Gauntlet'd easily. If he bursts you and you tech, for god's sake don't double jump or Air dash, you will die."

Mike Z

May's Strategy

:eng101: This fight need to be in three stages to win. :eng101:

Stage 1- Getting a P hoop buffered over your head. As this will destroy his super armor and his offense.

Stage 2- Letting POT get into close range, this requires a lot of 5K’s and patience.

Stage 3- Once pot is IN and having to guard because of your P hoop you must make him choose an Anti Air.

This is pot’s biggest flaw. He has to DEDICATE himself to his anti airs. So you are going to use air tactics to stall and alter your air direction while choosing to come down on either side with a J.2HS. Preferably the backside of him. Remember to FDC J.2HS and Slash Back cancel air dashes to alter your trajectory. RR FRC is tricky some times here too. J.D also works for WTF where is she going mind games. If he guards, do it again. This Makes the game in your favor as you are making decision and forcing him to react/guess to you. Sometimes, he WILL get the proper anti air and your back at Stage 1, but oh well, that’s Guilty Gear.

Poking with a max range j.HS is a GREAT idea.

"FBHD is overall very effective.

FBHD owns 6H>Slidehead block string, slidehead in general, PB, 6P, early JG(May recovers early and owns Pot before the attack comes out). Most lead to a CH dolphin to a 2D, and then a FB dolphin combo w/ enough tension.

FBHD loses to 5P, 5K, Aegis Reflector, Hammerfall, flick w/ the last three being pretty risky." ShinQuickman

5K on reaction to a Slidehead.

Slide head has upper body invul. frames in its animation so spamming dolphins could have you eating a. OTG combo. Or kill you with a mega fist and you look NOOB. :gonk:

Tick throws aren't effective for this fight unless you got pot in some really heavy pressure simply b/c if he sees it coming, thats a PB.

Obviously, don't jump in too much, as it will get figured out.

ZONING > Posted Image

Combo Specific Details.

With so many Potty only combo’s available I only recommend you do what feels comfortable inputting. To be honest the only combo I felt reliable enough to do against Isaac is Launch..

S, HS, SVD, S, HS, SVD, 5P, HSVD, FRC, Air Dash, J.S, J.HS, SVD, 5P, HSVD.

5D Combo- Pro Dust 4, Impossible Dust with a Just frame J.HS. It's called her Jump Cancel Impossible Dust combo. Works Great on POT.

6P combo- easy on this BIG sprite.

IAD combo- sure do J.S, J.HS and be sure to mix – up the RR sometimes.

Jackhound reliability- Always hits.

Double Dolphin Upper-

OHK, J.S, J.HS, land, DELAY, SVD, S, JI, HS, Delay, SVD, S, JI, HS, Delay, SVD, 2P, HSVD.

Double Dolphin Upper With Tension-

2HS/2D, FBHSVD, J.HS, SVD, 5S, HS, SVD, 5S, HS, SVD, 5P, HSVD.

*At CLOSEST range the J.HS forces POT the other way.

*At MAX Range it will not make him flip over your Y axis.

*Every other range than MAX this works.

2HS, 2D- This beats anywhere on screen making interesting possibilities.

no tension- 2HS, 2D always cancel to a Dolphin for the knockdown as the 2D is tech-able.

This combos off 5FS if you run in... interesting.

25% Tension- 5S, 2HS, 2D, RR, FRC, Air-throw. (Don't ever do that)

5S, 2HS, 2D, FBHSHD, IAD, J.S, J.HS, SVD, S, HS, SVD, 5P, HSVD. (This feels like a #R combo, lol)

2D, FBSHD, 6P... Potty in corner.

Application - J.2HS, Land, 2D, FBSHD, 66, 6P, S,JI, HS, Delay, SVD, 5P, HSVD.

OHK, 66, 6P... Potty only.

Application- OHK, 66, 6P, 5S, JI, HS, Delay, SVD, 5S, JI, HS, Delay, SVD, 2P, HSVD.

JI, FBHSVD, AirDash, J.K, J.HS... Potty only No Corner.

Application- J.2HS, 2D, FBHSVD, Air Dash, J.K, J.HS, SVD, 5S, HS, SVD, 5P, HSVD.

This starts with J.2HS as it auto Jump Installs the combo but it Can be done with a Normal than a JI, 2D/2HS...

EXAMPLE- 5S, JI, 2HS, FBHSVD, Air-Dash, J.K, J.HS...

FBHSVD, J.HS... Potty only No Corner No JI.

Application- 2HS/2D, FBHSVD, J.HS, Land, SVD, 5S, HS, SVD, 5S, HS, SVD, 5P, HSVD.

(Double Dolphin Upper)

This is good when you accidentally do FBHSVD instead of FBHSHD and you didn't JI and still want damage. AKA, Maybe one time. lol

JI, FBHSVD, Air Dash, J.S, J.HS Potty only Finish in Corner.

Application- J.2HS, 2D, FBHSVD, Air Dash, J.S, J.HS, #

1-SVD, 5S, HS, SVD, 5P, HSVD

2-HSVD, HSVD

3-6HS, SVD, 5S, HS, SVD, 5P, HSVD.

4-25% Tension- 6HS, HSVD, FBHSHD, 5S, HS, SVD, 5P, HSVD.

This starts with J.2HS as it auto Jump Installs the combo but it Can be done with a Normal than a JI, 2D/2HS...

EXAMPLE- 5S, JI, 2HS OR 2D, FBHSVD, Air-Dash, J.S, J.HS #

OHK, 6HS, Whale...

Application- OHK, 6HS, 236236S, HSVD, Jackhound, 2D, HSVD.

Application- OHK, 6HS, 236236S, 236236S, 2D, HSVD. Builds stun LOL.

HSVD, FRC, air-dash, J.S, J.HS, Land... Potty only

Depending on the starter, multiple enders are possible.

Application- OHK, J.S, J.HS, Land, Delay, SVD, S, JI, HS, Delay, SVD, S, JI, HS, Delay SVD, 2P, HSVD, FRC, Air-dash, J.S, J.HS, Land, J.K, JD, J.HS, JD, RR. This particular example only #4 ender is possible, but an earlier HSVD, FRC will make enders 1-4 possible for other combo's.

1- SVD, 5P, S, HS, HSVD.

2- 6HS, SVD

3- J.HS, J.D, J.HS, J.D

4- J.K, J.D, J.HS, J.D

o_O it happened while i was in block stance.. he never hit me but i stayed up LMFAO! yeah.. i recorded pot doing slidehead like 10 times in a row at random times.. evaded each one just by doing that

Interesting find Jacob. This works. So, is she airborn? No. If she was than May would be throw invulnerable. @Reaver- HK is alright in theory, but May's sprite is just to short to test this. Heat Knuckle can't even pick up May out of a backdash... let alone her standing sprite. Overall it's WAY riskier than her 5K, but, that much more flashier right. I call another Slidehead glitch. Who all remembers the one with HOS? Standing FD > Slide head. LOL

^ If I remember correctly, Slide head's unblock-able sends hit that is 1 pixel above the ground across the entire screen. Don't hold me on that since I only read that somewhere else but it seems like that it's the most plausible answer.

Also works for anything that "restarts" May's animation. These include:

• standing up from crouch
  • recover from (whiff) attacks (5P)
  • standing still from Slashback attempt
  • letting go of everything while holding FD
  • walk forward, stand still

AFAICT, it's a quirk in her Standing animation. I'm not complaining much, as I abuse it against mid to low PO players and drive them insane with mysteriously impotent Slide Heads.

There's also a few frames in her skid animation (65[6] ]6[), near the end I think, that's also invulnerable to Slide Head, even point-blank IIRC.

Random factoids! May and pot can both do command grabs verse each other, they will both go into whiff animation, Pot gets a free pot buster. Stupid 9845732948589325 frame recovery on May's ohk

I started practicing this matchup vs comps the other day. Me: WHALE! Comp Pot: *Flick* Me: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN FLICK THE WHA- *gets counterhit* Comp Pot: HPB Lol?

Sign in to follow this