Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teyah

[Xrd] Zato - General discussion and changes list

Use far drill a lot to protect Eddie, and dash forward into 2S At worst, you'll get a CH 2S, and confirm into 22HS. Break the law is best used when Eddie is out, or when someone IAD's in at you, that way, you dodge the air attack, and get a punish.

I have a question for everyone else that's been troubling me. How do you handle people who refuse to come in vs Zato? I play really well defensively with Nobiru and his anti-airs. But I have a really hard time when Ky's and I-no's stand back and spam projectile to cover their approach. How can I set up an offense and move in on someone while avoiding projectiles. The problem is, as soon as I block a projectile, little Eddie will disappear, so I need to get in without blocking.

Use far drill a lot to protect Eddie, and dash forward into 2S At worst, you'll get a CH 2S, and confirm into 22HS. Break the law is best used when Eddie is out, or when someone IAD's in at you, that way, you dodge the air attack, and get a punish.

I have a question for everyone else that's been troubling me. How do you handle people who refuse to come in vs Zato? I play really well defensively with Nobiru and his anti-airs. But I have a really hard time when Ky's and I-no's stand back and spam projectile to cover their approach. How can I set up an offense and move in on someone while avoiding projectiles. The problem is, as soon as I block a projectile, little Eddie will disappear, so I need to get in without blocking.

Another option for protecting little mans is 6H. If you over-extend a little bit and think they're going to try to poke him out of the recovery on a mawaru/nobiru, you can use the hit of armor to get a 6H through to CH their poke, which is really high reward.

As for approaching, watch the sets of Sako vs. Daigo from before the pros vs gods thing, he's the best at that. He had these two complimentary options he would go to a lot, the first one was to H summon but keep P held and move Eddie forward a little bit, then airdash, release P right before you get in range of their anti-air, and then come in with j. H. Eddie will low profile any projectiles, and if they try to poke Eddie, you hit them with the j. H.

He would mix that up with summon hold H, IAD, release H so Eddie goes underground, and shadow gallery above them, and then Nobiru to protect the recovery on shadow gallery.

I tend to get anti-aired often on my approach, so I really hope this helps. Thanks a lot for the advice Teyah. You should frequent the forums more often. I have almost exclusively watched Ogawa, so watching other Zato players may certainly help.

I tend to get anti-aired often on my approach, so I really hope this helps. Thanks a lot for the advice Teyah. You should frequent the forums more often. I have almost exclusively watched Ogawa, so watching other Zato players may certainly help.

What are the most standard Command Grab setups every player should look for? Everything this character does looks like a blur to me right now. 

- Kimosabae

On 11/19/2015, 9:35:51, SynikaL said:

What are the most standard Command Grab setups every player should look for? Everything this character does looks like a blur to me right now. 

- Kimosabae

The most common way is during sandwich pressure 5P/2P, 2K, -p- then command grab. A lot of players will be looking for it though and either jab you out or jump back from it. If they jump back from it make sure you release S and catch them with Nobiru.

2K frametraps let you go for it, also conditioning them to certain blockstrings might let you sneak in a command grab.

Hey all. Just introducing myself (kind of). Used to be Antihero11. But I have changed my playertag and made a new account to reflect that. Giving Xrd a break for a bit, but I hope to keep in touch with my fellow Zato mains.

Is it me or do most of Zato's hitboxes look pretty small and situational? Also his hitboxes and hurtboxes overlap in like every attack except a select few j.D is amazing.

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, DrKatz said:

Is it me or do most of Zato's hitboxes look pretty small and situational? Also his hitboxes and hurtboxes overlap in like every attack except a select few j.D is amazing.

Thoughts?

That's very much by design.  Zato is meant to be half a character by himself and his ass hurtboxes reflect that.  Still, when Sol counterhits 2d on Zato's 2S, I die a little inside. Because of his overbearing pressure when he is full character with shadow, they limited his power solo.  Just compare Zato's 5k with Jam's 5k.  It's a pretty fair tradeoff.

That's exactly what I was getting at! I remember people telling me when I picked up this character that he's half a character without little man... But I guess I didn't expect his hitboxes and hurtboxes to be so awful, haha.

In a way, he's not good at teaching you fundamentals since his spacing and buttons suck. But the key to being a good Zato would be keeping Eddie alive or punishing your opponent everytime he's killed. 

5HS has a pretty nice hitbox but you have to trade that with dying if you whiff it. Even so I've been trying to find more situations to use it. I think the reward is pretty good in that you'll get a far drill knockdown if they're in range or a free summon off the hit. 

I was trying this dead man hand combo ...

D wall crumple, summon, DMH, back air dash SG into unblockable.

I have trouble with the DMH, when it grabs I switch side and the set up is messed up.

Can someone give me some tips on this ?

Also why do people whiff HS when they do DMH ? 

Thx.