Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brett_

[FB] Gyan: Chivalry At It's Finest

[placeholder - will have this up after SCR]

Don't think anyone else is going to do this so I'll be managing all Gyan-related discussion.

Just throwing this here for now so I can put some of my Gyan notes here before I forget:

Turn A's main takes the entire shield out in one blow (if they let it grind). Really sucks.

Wing Custom's main is also very obnoxious.

And here I thought I was the only Gyan player in the US. I guess I'll help out with the easy/starter stuff for now.

Movelist

[A] Needle Missle

10 ammo, 40~120 damage (5 hits max), Reload Time: 3 seconds

[CSa] Char Gelgoog Call

Call Char Gelgoog to circle around enemy and shoot 3 beams, 50-95-135 damage, Charge Time: 4 seconds [Note: Spawns to your left unless tap right when you call]

[AB] Hide Bomb

Deploys bombs from shield (causes stun), 35~126 damage, Reload Time: 10 seconds [Note: Damage seems dependent on how close to the center of the explosion]

[AC] Azzam Call

Calls Azzam ship to drop an electric cage in front of you (causes stun), 90 damage, Reload Time: 10 seconds [Note: Azzam can get caught on terrain and structures so use cautiously]

[bC] Shield Stance

Activates auto-guard if an attack hits from the front while not attacking you will shield the damage, Reload Time: 25 seconds [Note: Lasts for 100 damage?]

[burst Attack] Hydrogen Missle

Missile fires in a direct line towards opponent, full hit does 319 damage before knockdown [Note: Missile will explode when in contact with object]

With AC, 5AC goes about a boost dash in distance, 2AC 2/3 of a boost dash, 8AC about 2 boost dashes in distance.

If you sidestep while BC is up you always face your target.

You can actually just hold right when you release to make csA go to the right, the way you're moving isn't important.

Trying to use AC makes me wish there was an actual distance gauge while playing this game. Trying to eyeball it and use lock ranges still feels pretty off to me.

You shouldn't really need to eyeball it that much, because it's so slow its rare to need to actually aim it. Generally I suggest using 8 for neutral, as even 8 doesn't go that far, and it helps break up the opponents formation / positioning. 2 is generally the one used for oki (obviously) and it's also useful to use 2 if you happen be throwing it out while expecting close quarters combat (usually off of an amekyan). It's pretty annoying to do this, however, since you have to do 662AC zzzz. 2 is also used for combo'ing into generally (BD melee(4hit) > AC > A > etc)

5AC ends up being the right distance for certain melee enders, noteably 5BBB and CSa if you boostdash to the right. Going for Azzam oki off of CSa enders is pretty awkward and unreliable though, since your camera goes crazy and it's difficult to gauge where they're flying off to, as well as the fact that if you are bd cancelling your CSa, you're probably more concerned about avoiding getting hit than spacing yourself for the appropriate Azzam distance. Especially considering regardless, they can directional ground tech and its not the end of the world for them.

Before I forget, it's also worth nothing that 2B has a few frames of startup where the shield is active! technically I think the other melee's have a few frames during startup that have the shield, but it's not really usable for anything. the shield stays active on 2B into the beginning of the leap, however, which can be practical perhaps. I still need to mess around with it in actual matches more.

Rashikal requested some combos, so since the wiki guide hasn't been made for this suit yet, I'm dropping some here from the JP wiki. Note that I don't play Gyan at all so someone might be better to expound on this list below.

Top Damage Combos

• [5AC]>>8B>8B     265     It seems the way to do this is to [5AC] at close range, then the first 8B knocks the enemy into the cage where you then hit with the second 8B?
  • 8B>6B>8B     261     Need some degree of slope or elevation so the enemy doesn't ground out after 8B.
  • 8B>8B>8B     276     Definitely requires some altitude, or a wall
  • BD8B>5BB~8BB>8B     253     Forward-step, then back-step

Damage-Efficient Combos

• 5BB~8B>5BB~8B~A     238     Back-step seems to be most consistent transition.
  • 5BB~8BB>8B     246     
  • 6BB>8B>5/6/8B     246-250     Use back-step for first transition, then forward-step for the second.

Cut-Resistant Combos

• .5BB~8B>8B>2B     244      Back-step, then forward-step. Doing >8B finisher just brings the damage up to 246.
  • 6BB>8B>2B     238     Back-step, then forward-step

I was kinda surprised to not see more combos with BD8B or ~[bC] used, but I guess that's just because you sacrifice so much cut resistance why bother? But so far as just making max damage combos I suspect incorporating these can make a number of other combos that cross the 260 or higher threshold.

Just my general notes from the 20-30 min I spent messing around on Gyan:

• 5B, 5BB, 5BB~8B, 6B all have an ~A followup that doesn't consume Main's ammo. 5BB~8B~A in particular seems like a really nice tool.
  • 5B, 5BB, 6B all have ~[bC] followups that acts exactly the same as BD melee, where you can rapidly tap melee to stack hits and damage.
  • 5BB~8BB: nice double uppercut tool. It seems you want to use back-step as your transition out of it in combos.
  • 6BB: Very fast, ends in issen. It seems very inconsistent though with regard to followup if you use anything except back-step. Otherwise you'll often just wind up swinging at open air, facing away from the enemy, rather than turning around and going back.
  • 8B: Grinds, so the point at which you forward-step out of it will affect damage in your combos.
  • 2B: Doesn't deal as much damage as 8B, but seems to be great for adding cut resistance to the end of a combo.

Shit I totally forgot I was running this thread lol.

First of all regarding the above combos, 6BB can be followed up consistently if you use FUWASTEP, which is what you generally want to use. My recommended bnb's for this suit actually are completely different than the above:

Your main BNB:

6BB > CSa - 195 dmg, extremely cut resistant for obvious reasons. Extremely fast and downs for almost 200 damage. 

6B > 6BB -> CSa - 197 dmg. Basically the same as above, but used for when you're mashing 6B steps and confirm off the 2nd 6B.

Reset combo:

6BB > Sub - ~200 dmg. Decent damage and creates a reset opportunity pretty easily.

Damage:

6BB > 5BB8B - does good damage, and launches them up. Fuwastep to connect 5B after the 6BB. This is also probably your best ender for doing nuke oki (or cage). Can activate and step after the launch then time a nuke.

5BB > 5BB8BB - similar to above from 5B starter

Nuke combo:

BD Melee (4hit) > 2AC→A >> ABC - ~250ish. Rainbowstep back for this combo. Not really worth the damage tbqh but it is very cool looking :P. Maybe more worth it if you play A.

6B combos into CSa are really consistent and you don't lose too much damage. Very reliable if you're being pursued and land a hit. If you see no cut coming then you can go for the 6BB > 5BB8B combo instead for damage. 

If you land a BD Melee and see no cut coming, you can just mash B for a total of like 220. You can do actual combos to get a bit more damage, but its worth knowing that BD Melee full hit raw does a ton of damage lol.

Most of the time when you hit a raw melee with this suit you're gonna be low on boost, which is why I recommend the solid cut resistant boost efficient combos primarily. This suit isn't really about doing fancy combos or landing solid melee hits to begin with, tbqh. Most of the time if you are 1on1'ing someone it's because you're being double locked - this suit is pretty much untouchable in many 1on1 situations due to his shield, so people will generally try and ignore you until you're caught in a bad situation.