Kurushii

[Xrd] Ramlethal - Gameplay Discussion (Discuss Videos/Combos/Questions/etc.)

So I've read Dustloop wiki, watched some videos, And the Guide that was posted on the top of Page 6 for Ramelthel. I'm relatively new to Xrd and still learning some of the intricacies of the game beyond more universal 2D fighting game mechanics.

I have some questions that I can use to improve my general Ram gameplay.  

• Outside for use of summoning / returning / attacking swords what are some good uses for Yellow RC?
  • In general what are the most common 3 hit PK combos to do? 5/2KPP seems good for overhead and can lead to follow ups. PPP seems good for push back in midscreen. The ones ending in 4K seem best if you actually got a successful confirm and can go to air combo. These are just my speculation based on what I've tried and feel free to tell me if I'm wrong. 2KKK seems like a good low hit confirm to knockdown.
  • Is it better to do 1-2 hit PK combos into Sword attack/recall if it's safe? 
  • When is it better to do 1-2 hit PK combos vs 3 hitters?
  • In neutral how often should you keep one Sword, vs having both swords out, vs having both out.
  • In neutral is generally better to do 6S/H (since they are faster) or 2S/H (since it covers a wider range it knocks up). 2S/H seems better for anti-air while 6S/H seems better for ground pressure and combos.
  • Is 623P (Daruo) only good to combo start when close 5S/5H/2D hits or does it have any other use?
  • How often should you use 214K (Detruo) as an overhead as opposed to KPP, jP, jK?
  • Is 214P projectile (Cassius) only good for anti-airs and some blockstrings?
  • Does 632146H Distortion Super (Calvados) have any particular use? I can see the user for Trance (setting up a mixup even on block) or Explode (Reversal) but haven't seen a real use for Calvados.

I know Ram isn't the best beginner friendly character to use (especially for someone like me who wasn't really good at other fighting games beforehand) and she'll need a crap ton of practice to do well but I really like the concept of her playstyle and I'm not sure if I like her or Elphelt more so far.

• Outside for use of summoning / returning / attacking swords what are some good uses for Yellow RC?
  • In general what are the most common 3 hit PK combos to do? 5/2KPP seems good for overhead and can lead to follow ups. PPP seems good for push back in midscreen. The ones ending in 4K seem best if you actually got a successful confirm and can go to air combo. These are just my speculation based on what I've tried and feel free to tell me if I'm wrong. 2KKK seems like a good low hit confirm to knockdown.
  • In neutral how often should you keep one Sword, vs having both swords out, vs having both out.
  • Is 623P (Daruo) only good to combo start when close 5S/5H/2D hits or does it have any other use?
  • How often should you use 214K (Detruo) as an overhead as opposed to KPP, jP, jK?
  • Does 632146H Distortion Super (Calvados) have any particular use? I can see the user for Trance (setting up a mixup even on block) or Explode (Reversal) but haven't seen a real use for Calvados.

I can give you a few ideas, though don't take 'em as gospel since I'm not an expert by any means.

• You can Yrc Cassius for improved zoning and for picking off random combos should they get hit by it, you can also fish for hits with equipped 2s and yrc it to make it safe if it looks like it won't hit.
  • If you use strings you usually use 2kp and then either p or k to mixup, though remember that k ender is unsafe and even then you can be mashed out of the overhead ender since it has a gap. As for 5kpp you can either go through with it or do 5kp stop 2d if they're expecting the ovehead. 2kk is usually your go to confirm for knockdown if you score a 5p or 2p hit midscreen.
  • You can use 5pk and then recall in combos to get a recall for free but summoning during them has rarely any real use afaik.
  • 2 hit pk combos you usually use for corner carry and what you usually end up using depends on the combo you're going for.
  • Daruo can give you some long range punishes on certain unsafe moves, and you can yrc it for a command grab as a gimmick.
  • You really shouldn't rely on detruo overmuch since it is really easy to punish and it doesn't really give a good payout for the damage it nets you I feel. Still you can use it once or twice for the novelty factor. Dunno if you can get any gimmicks out of it by yrcing it.
  • Calvados hits otg so you can use it as damaging ender, deals more damage than explode provided you had swords equipped. It comes out fast so you can use it as a punish for zoners although you may need a semi-hard read for it. And provided your opponents out of meter and near death Calvados is super good for cheesing out rounds with chipdamage.

Those are the things I can come off the top of my headm but I'm sure there's more stuff the others can give you (and it's probably better too :P).

Edited by g1Gilgamesh

Calvados is neat as an OTG (because it's a lot of hits so doesn't get scaled by proration very much) and you can combo into it from

• PPP juggle ender (midscreen, corner, whatever)
  • Throw
  • Exploder
  • j8D (if you're fast and j8D is done close enough to the ground

If you have 75 meter and you want to finish a round, do Calvados YRC. The beam will continue even though Ram is free to use her swords at will, and the huge beam makes the following mixup really hard to block. Calvados lasts for a decent while so feel free to go ham, call out swords and put them in a bad corner position. If I know the Calvados itself will kill I usually do Calvados YRC Taunt because I don't give a fuck~

Sildo Detruo have some other uses, in corner you can TK instant-air sildo. It comes out a LOT faster than the grounded version but is way harder to combo from, still something to keep in mind. Sildo itself on block is amazing. Also, in a lot of situations, when you end a air combo with j2D you can cancel the j2D into air sildo so you land faster. I do it every time because there's no reason not to, especially if you have pushed them to the corner after a j8D as cancelling to Sildo might net you a full corner combo. Exceptions are corner dustloops, stick with close-to-ground j8D's.

I like to do fS > Sildo sometimes. Huge gap, but that can be closed by doing fS > Sildo YRC into different shenanigans.

2KP into either P or 2D is a "great" mixup as 2KPP gives them 18f to react to the overhead, 2KP > 2D gives them 18f to react to the low. Don't be doing this too much though, there's a huge gap between 2KP and P (equally huge if you do 2D) for them to jab you or something if they know what's going on. 2KPK is a true blockstring however so if you're 100% sure they're going to to try to interrupt, that will do it. I really don't like 2KPK though as it's really unsafe on block and gives you next to nothing on hit.

Don't be afraid of doing cassius YRC just to give you a situation you can easily react to. They're in the air? Great, 2S. g1Gilgamesh have HUGE success with that against me and makes me rip my hair out.

So I've read Dustloop wiki, watched some videos, And the Guide that was posted on the top of Page 6 for Ramelthel. I'm relatively new to Xrd and still learning some of the intricacies of the game beyond more universal 2D fighting game mechanics.

I have some questions that I can use to improve my general Ram gameplay.  

• In neutral is generally better to do 6S/H (since they are faster) or 2S/H (since it covers a wider range it knocks up). 2S/H seems better for anti-air while 6S/H seems better for ground pressure and combos.
  • Is 214P projectile (Cassius) only good for anti-airs and some blockstrings?

I know Ram isn't the best beginner friendly character to use (especially for someone like me who wasn't really good at other fighting games beforehand) and she'll need a crap ton of practice to do well but I really like the concept of her playstyle and I'm not sure if I like her or Elphelt more so far.

1. There are multiple uses for YRC outside of interactions with your swords in neutral and mix ups. Air dash YRC is good with Ram and you'll several Japanese Ram players do this. The air dash YRC makes her fall fast (like any other character) and allows for good air approaches and keep you safe from anti-airs.

There's a couple of gimmicks you can use with YRC to sneak in command grabs. Detruo YRC at the last minute into a command grab is a nice gimmick because it forces the opponent to block high and the last thing they expect is a YRC command grab. There's a gap between a normal into Detruo that the opponent can counter poke you but you can then start YRCing earlier in Detruo and then throw a normal out.
    You can do 2D xx Daruo YRC and then command grab. Another command grab gimmick but something you can use sparingly. 2KP~delayed K YRC command grab. This only works if you can condition your opponent but this is something that will really catch people off guard.

As mentioned above, YRC Cassius is a great option midscreen during the neutral game to allow you to observe opponent actions and react accordingly. It works amazingly well in certain match ups such as Bedman or Slayer to counter their neutral game.

Having YRC as an option when using equipped 2S and 2HS is really good as well. It helps keep you safe when using these normals to control space, poke, or anti-air. 2S has the most recovery on whiff so you want to use YRC when you see it whiff to keep yourself safe and then react to your opponents position on the screen.

Defensively, you want to use YRC in response to certain situations in order to safely navigate around unfavorable positions. For example, against Potemkin Hammerfall YRC you can counter YRC as an escape option against the subsequent mind games. Against Leo, you can YRC against his back turned stance to navigate around that situation or against his HS fireball you can jump YRC and more safely navigate around his offense.

2. Off of stray confirms with 4P you want to transition into 2KK or 2KPK (keeping in mind you transition from 4P to 1K because of the PK overlap) for knockdowns because this will always lead into basic 6S/HS or 2S/HS sword oki with with either 2K low or 6K overhead. In combos, 5PPP is just a standard combo ender midscreen or corner wall splats that leads into oki or resets. 5KKK is a higher damage corner wall splat ender but you need a shorter combo in order to get the corner wall splat follow ups. 5PK4K can be used midscreen to set up mix ups or extend combos while 5KK4K or 5K4K is used in the corner to set up corner cross ups/fake cross ups.

There's a lot of mind games you can play with 2KPK or P but it depends on the match up and conditioning your opponent. In general, it's a straight 50/50 game between overhead or low but the overhead is highly telegraphed and gives plenty of time for the opponent to react. Opponents can also fuzzy guard (alternating between high/low block) to block both options consistently. This means you have to start incorporating other tactics within this string to confuse your opponent. If the opponent is content with just blocking then you start adding delays to K or P to throw off fuzzy guarding. As mentioned previously, you can use 2D instead to get a better low combo starter. However, these two options open up bigger gaps that allow the opponent to either chicken block out of the situation or mash a fast normal to counter poke. Also, if they start FDing 2KP it automatically puts Ramlethal out of range of 2D so then you got to start committing to either P or K again. If they have a tendency to mash then you keep going for 2KPK because it will catch their mashing. You end up going full circle between straight high/low guess, staggers to defeat blocking, or frame traps to beat mashing.

3. You do PK in combos off of her Daruo or if you can use it in a stray confirm because PK causes a stagger state. This stagger state is actually really difficult to mash out of so you can attempt a c.S combo starter and you'll most likely get it. You only use the 3 hitters from PK in specific combos like 5PK4K is a combo extender or a specific midscreen combo to set up midscreen oki. For details on those setups refer to my google doc that you mentioned.

4. The debate on when to keep swords, deploy swords, or keep one sword is dependent on several things such as match up and player habits. The safest and more consistent way to play neutral with Ramlethal in 1.10 is to at least keep the S sword equipped because you gain access to her best poking tools with far S and j.S. These are great footsie and space control tools during the neutral game. With the nerfs that the deployed swords received in version 1.10, it makes it very hard to play neutral with both swords deployed. You can still play neutral with both swords but you have to be more careful because you lose access to good pokes and you end up putting yourself on the defensive relying on deployed swords to do work for you but if they get hit then you lose a lot of momentum. I feel players become tunnel visioned when both swords are deployed and it leaves them susceptible to rush down.

The other point to mention with having swords equipped is having access to her 2S and 2HS normals. These normals while extremely slow on start up having amazing hit boxes and long active frames. They can be used to control space and work great as preemptive anti-airs or even as pokes. They build a lot of tension for Ramlethal so you'll have access to YRC options, faultless defense, Overdrives, or RC for stray confirms.

5. In neutral, it depends on the match up as you want to use 2HS as a means to control air space. In combination with YRC, it allows you to approach with the swords as cover or even allow you to cover your sword against the opponents pokes. With the deployed S sword I tend to use 6S more because it's faster and makes it harder for the opponent to counter poke it. However, if the S sword is behind the opponent and close by to the point where it won't teleport to track the opponent then you can use 2S more because they won't be able to poke the start up. Even 6S is good when the sword is positioned behind the opponent because you can use it as a counter poke or interrupt.

6. As mentioned previously, Daruo can be used as a long range punish in certain match ups, such as Ky. While risky you can also throw out Daruo during neutral to catch people dashing in, back dashes, or throwing out buttons at range.

7. Detruo as an overhead is mediocre and should be used sparingly from block strings. It goes over lows and is + on block. If you're cancelling it from a normal then there's a gap that allows the opponent to counter poke, as I mentioned in the YRC answer. You can use Detruo from a j.HS and it'll combo off of a counter hit. I usually set up this situation as throw bait by doing a while rising j.HS cancelled into Detruo. You can also use Detruo by cancelling off of a j.P or j.K. So if you air dash in with j.P, j.K, etc.. you can throw in a Detruo to increase the amount of overhead hits and be plus on block when you land.

8. Cassius is a good space control tool but you have to space it out correctly since it has that awkward trajectory. It's particularly useful in the Bedman match up to help catch him at certain heights as well as clearing out his icons.

9. Calvados got buffed in patch 1.10 by having faster start up and doing more damage per hit when it's unscaled. It's a pretty versatile overdrive and should be incorporated in your repertoire.
  • It's amazing at draining your opponents tension meter if they want to avoid the chip damage. Think about it as spending tension to drain their tension because sometimes their options with tension is a lot more scarier than your options.
  • The chip damage it deals out is significant and should always be an option if the opponent is low on life with little-to-no tension. 
  • The faster start up is also significant, as it can catch the opponent off guard if they're doing stray attacks, full screen set ups (ie. Venom's balls, Elphet sniper rifle/pin pull, Faust item toss), projectiles, or air dashes.  
  • Good to tack on at the end of corner wall splat combos if you want to close out a match because the scaled damage doesn't really matter at that point. It's similar how you would use Trance at the end of corner combos.
Edited by Killey

Some notes about how I currently play Ram, especially as an update to my earlier post.

• fS > Sildo < DO NOT DO THIS. If it works you're playing against bad players! There's so many ways to counter this, if your opponent knows what he's doing you will eat shit for even trying. To get a viable mixup out of this you have to RRC it, if you YRC it's already too late as it's easy to mash out of. And why even mash when you can throw Ram BEFORE the sildo even starts? Or why bother when you can IB the sildo and throw punish and get more meter while you're at it.
  • KKK is superior corner wallsplat. Since they added forced proration on PPP it's really bad to use in comparison. One of Rams issues is that since her combos have a lot of weak hits her combos would give the opponent a lot of meter and burst relative to her damage output. Since bursting dauro is 100% unbaitable if they burst fast enough, opponent would highly likely get 2x burst first round. Ram is incredibly momentum based so this is BAD. This is where KKK comes in, doing VERY short corner combos with KKK as wallsplat gives pretty much the same damage as doing 2x/3x dustloops into PPP, with the difference being giving the opponent way less meter and burst. Even in the corner, if you hit a 2D > Dauro, going straight into KKK then deploy swords does same damage as fancy hard executing dustloops. Honestly, dustloops seems to only be worth it now if you're midscreen and want the corner carry. Same with PPP, it's only good if the combo is already pretty long or if you need something faster than 5K to avoid having them hit the ground.
  • In corner after a 2S/2H hit on a mixup, following up with 5H > j8D > KKK seems to be most effective relative to giving burst / getting damage.
  • I've pretty much adapted Hohiko's 1-sword playstyle. S-sword is mandatory good, H-sword is fine to deploy. Deployed 5H is a pretty good combo tool since it always combos into Dauro and can make some grounded confirms easier and safer. Even just having H sword out so you can retrieve it in the air to halt momentum is good.

Stay vigilant fellow Rams, we ain't getting buffs anytime soon.

Hello Ramlethal players! I want to learn how to play Ramlethal at a competent level, but I'm a bit overwhelmed and not sure where to start at the moment. I was hoping some of the experienced players here could give me a basic overview of important things to work on as a starting point, so that I can build a solid foundation to expand upon.

For a bit of background, I'm not a newbie to fighting games, but not I'm exactly a tournament calibur player either, mostly due to lack of practice and playtime. The only Xrd character I can play decently right now is Ky, but I feel like I have a good grasp of the character. I love how easily I can confirm into knockdown and grinder CSE or meaty 6H oki, and how freeform his pressure is. It's simple to gain momentum and exploit it with him. His tools all seem very straight forward, and I picked him up with no trouble.

On the other hand, I've checked out Ramlethal a few times, watched some match vids and spent some time in training, and I always get overwhelmed immediately and I'm not really sure what to start learning. Her neutral game doesn't make any immediate sense to me, and I have no idea what the best basic confirms into knockdown are, or what oki to run afterwards. There are a plethora of resources available, but nothing I've found that breaks it down simple enough for me to start digesting. Most of what I've found just has a gigantic list of combos without explaining the purpose of each. Her corner combos are fairly long and intimidating, but I'm confident I can learn them if I put some time into it, I just want to make sure that I'm learning the right stuff.

I found this great google doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YAk-RRh4fQcdNJflA5E1xIgGeUugJsaGyS6jCDE1qDs/pub), and it has a ton of information in it, but again, too much to just absorb completely. I also found a nice post by Sakaku (http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/forums/topic/10208-new-player-bashing-my-head-against-a-wall/&do=findComment&comment=881918) about the neutral game, but it doesn't really paint a clear picture in my mind on its own without knowing the rest of the pieces and how it all fits together.

Essentially what I'm looking for is:

1. The recommended midscreen combo routes that are the most universally useful and relatively easy to learn. Not sure if most people think it's best to prioritize corner carry, or go for midscreen oki. No tight IAD loops if they aren't necessary to start, please. If Ram can get a knockdown and oki fairly consistently from anti-air or air-to-air starters as well, that would be great to know.

2. A few recommended oki setups that come from these combos, and how to convert. Just two to start with would be fine, so I have a way to mix it up. Also, throw/air throw oki? I tend to go for throws a lot when I play Ky due to his poor mixup, so I'm used to fishing for them so I definitely want to be able to capitalize on them right away.

3. The recommended corner combo(s) and oki to learn right away. Hopefully there are some mostly universal things to start with and everything isn't character specific like Vapor Thrust loops into Ciel oki...

4. Ram's best punish options. If I block a Volcanic Viper midscreen, how should I punish it? Also, if I block one in the corner, is there a way for me to swap sides and put Sol back in the corner for high damage or do you generally just take him to the other corner?

5. How do you usually "get in" with Ram, and how do you generally open people up once you have them blocking (without an oki setup)? Are there any standout, go to options? I'm assuming it involves extending your pressure with sword summons worked into your blockstrings to cover overheads/throw attempts?

6. What do you usually spend meter on with Ram? Defensive options? RCs to extend combos? YRCs on Cassius or sword summons? Supers?

That's all I can think of at the moment. I feel like if I get a basic outline of these points and start working on them, I'll hopefully have a functional framework to start playing her with so I can start learning on my own and seeing what I should work on next to expand my game. I'm not expecting anyone to write me a strategy guide here, I'm just hoping for a bit of guidance. Anything would help, even if it's just copying and pasting a short list of essential starter combos, or linking a few videos with current combos/oki and telling me the important ones.

Thanks for your time!

c.S / 2D 623P 66 5PK 66 5PK 5KP 66 PPP - midscreen daruo combo, oki will depend on how close you are after the PPP chain. 

4PP1KK - gorilla mash combo that converts into knockdown, if theyre airborne do 4PP5K 66 5PK 66 5PK 5KP 66 PPP. 

6P c.S jS jc jK jS jD/2D/8D - basic anti-air combo. you can do more with certain conditions but this will be the most consistent option.

2KK and throw can be followed up by 6S/H into 6K or 2K/2D/3K. This will work even if you don't use an equipped sword but you'll get better frame advantage if you use an equipped sword due to less recovery. Not a very threatening setup but it works. Sometimes. 

In the corner you'll have access to wall stick to extend your combos and get real knockdowns. Wall stick followups are going to depend on where your swords are.

c.S 5H 6S 66 [c.S or 1P1K] 66 c.S 2D 6H - works with both swords equipped, jump forward j2S and fall down with either airdash jK jH or land 2D 623P.

c.S 5H 4H 2D 6H - use this if you're missing your H sword

c.S 5H 6S 66 delayed c.S 4H 66 c.S 2D 6H - alternate combo for retrieving H sword, allows you to use 2S as oki.

There's lots of variations on corner combo enders but this will get you started.

#4  c.S 623P. Start with 5H j8D if theyre in the corner and you have H sword. You can sideswap with c.S 623P 66 5PK~4K 5KP 66 5PPP. Delaying the 4K enough causes them to cross over, allowing you to push them back into the corner.

#5 Ramlethal does not have real pressure outside of the corner. In the corner you can end blockstrings with 6S/H if the sword is deployed near them and get heavy frame advantage. You can mixup where you summon a sword in your strings to keep them guessing, or attempt a command grab.

#6 All those options are good so its going to depend on the situation. I spend a lot of my meter on YRC cassius and 2KK RC because I don't like that knockdown. Figure out what works best for you.

8 hours ago, Lodrak said:

1. The recommended midscreen combo routes that are the most universally useful and relatively easy to learn. Not sure if most people think it's best to prioritize corner carry, or go for midscreen oki. No tight IAD loops if they aren't necessary to start, please. If Ram can get a knockdown and oki fairly consistently from anti-air or air-to-air starters as well, that would be great to know.

If you can do the full corner carry combo, you should always do it, because the core of Ramlethal's game plan is to get the guy to the corner and end the game there. The combo is c.s 623p pk pk kp c.s 623p kp ppp, but doing c.s 623p pk pk kp ppp will mostly always put your opponent in the corner unless your back was very close to the corner to begin with. Just don't end in ppp midscreen because it sucks. You rather end in kk and that's only if you are unable to do the full corner carry combo.

It's almost impossible to convert off 6p AA into something that gives oki unless you are a god. You just have to settle for a lousy air combo that goes into nothing unless your opponent is in the corner.

The only air to air starter that you can actually get a decent combo with is j.s CH (which you can do IAD loops after or just dash pk pk stuff), which is why I think doing falling j.s with Ramlethal in neutral is so good. Pretty much everything else you just end with j.8d which leads into nothing unless your opponent is in the corner.

2. A few recommended oki setups that come from these combos, and how to convert. Just two to start with would be fine, so I have a way to mix it up. Also, throw/air throw oki? I tend to go for throws a lot when I play Ky due to his poor mixup, so I'm used to fishing for them so I definitely want to be able to capitalize on them right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlGN7aJC2ts Thanks Pain.

If you really have to end in some horrible knockdown that gives no time to do sword oki (like throw), do not underestimate the strength of meaty 2s 2h oki. It beats everything that your opponent can do besides block, blitz, and a few invulnerable supers. Do not do 2s 2h oki if the other guy's name is Potemkin or Slayer, because those guys are blessed with retarded backdashes even though they are bottom tier.

The level 1 corner setup that I recommend to every new Ramlethal player is wallstick j.s j.h c.s 2d 6h jump IAD j.k or 2d, since it's pretty easy to do. Replace 2d 6h with 2d 2h if your H sword is already in the corner, but this will whiff on a few people (wakeup timings and hitboxes) unless you delay the 2h a little. Alternatively, you can always command throw them as they do not expect the sword to pass through them.

There's also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMlrSO4Q6fg which I think is one of the better setups because it doesn't require YRC at all. Thanks UmaiCakes.

There are a ton of other corner setups as well but I guess this is fine for now.

3. The recommended corner combo(s) and oki to learn right away. Hopefully there are some mostly universal things to start with and everything isn't character specific like Vapor Thrust loops into Ciel oki...

Anything into Daruo into wallstick into above level 1 corner setup is fine when starting out.

4. Ram's best punish options. If I block a Volcanic Viper midscreen, how should I punish it? Also, if I block one in the corner, is there a way for me to swap sides and put Sol back in the corner for high damage or do you generally just take him to the other corner?

If you block something that ends in crouching or puts the opponent in CH, remember to use f.s as a starter for that extra chunk of meter. If you are very strong you can always do c.s 5h IAD loops.

5. How do you usually "get in" with Ram, and how do you generally open people up once you have them blocking (without an oki setup)? Are there any standout, go to options? I'm assuming it involves extending your pressure with sword summons worked into your blockstrings to cover overheads/throw attempts?

I think I'm the only Ramlethal player in the world who plays her like a MOBA character, so it might not be a good idea to learn my style.

1) Farm 75 meter.

2) Try to push the guy to about midscreen.

3) Land a f.s (preferably a c.s actually because it's level 3) and visually confirm it is not IB-ed.

4) Cancel into Calvados, YRC it, push your opponent to the corner and chuck both swords out.

What this does is that it guarantees you a way to push your opponent all the way to the corner, even if you are unable to land a single hit into Daruo for the entire game. It also removes all your opponent's meter (provided they FD to avoid the 20% or so chip damage). In a nutshell, you trade your meter for your opponent's meter, except that you are now in your best possible position and at massive frame advantage while the other guy has to be sad.

Ramlethal's corner pressure is all about how well you are able to cancel into a sword summon without your opponent realizing it. Therefore, it is important to mix up your blockstrings so that your opponent does not know when to get out. Most people will try to get out by poking (Venom 2s and Ky's Stun Dipper are ridiculously good at doing this), or jumping, but not a lot of people know how to reliably get out of Ramlethal pressure anyway (unless your opponent has fought the character a million times) so they just burst eventually. There are ways to beat the above mentioned options but that is not important now.

6. What do you usually spend meter on with Ram? Defensive options? RCs to extend combos? YRCs on Cassius or sword summons? Supers?

It's pretty much Calvados YRC only for me, outside of the corner setups that require YRC.

Good day.

For the most part my answer are on line with the two earlier ones but I'll see if I can  add some additional pointer off the top of my head.

- You mentioned not wanting to do iad loops so you're in luck in the sense that the only time you'd even want to do those is midscreen as a corner carry option. Ever since the dmg got nerfed dloops in corner aren't worth it anymore so you'd best avoid doing them there if possible at all anyway.

- Don't think it was mentioned before but when you carry your opponent into corner if it's at all possible use kkk for the wallslam instead of ppp so you get more damage for your trouble. Ppp in general is more reliable especially at the end of a longer combo, but if you get to corner after say cS 623p pk, then you should opt to wallslam with k's instead of p's.

- You'll be able to get all your oki needs from videos made by Pain and Nyaa, so check those out.

- You can do a sideswap with cS 623p 55 5pk4k, where you'll switch sides with your opponent by utilizing the momentum in the 5pk4k, it just tends to be a bit finicky so you'd need to lab it out to get a feel for it.

- As for meter spending I usually use it for either cassius yrc for sniping opponents out of the air, yrc's for corner setups after combos or to chip opponents out/push them into a corner with calvados/trance. And naturally the most important calvados yrc taunt :v.

That's all I can think now out of the top of my head.

I don't really have any real games under my belt yet, but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the combo routes for the most part. The wallsplat follow-ups had me frustrated for awhile until I realized I have to change which normals I use post splat depending on the height, I can usually convert now. I generally do c.S 5H for high splats, c.S f.S for medium splats, and just c.S for low splats. I go into 6H 66 delayed c.S 6S 66 c.S 66 c.S 2D j.2H when equipped, and if I'm deployed, <splat follow-up> j.2H c.S j.2S 66 6K j.8D for knockdown, then j.2H for meaty sword oki. Does that seem solid or are there reasons I shouldn't do those follow-ups? I see most combos recommend 6S first and then 6H, not sure why...?

I can't seem to get the full corner carry combo down very consistently, especially on lights like Millia, seems extremely tight. That's c.S 623P 66 PK 66 PK KP 66 c.S 623~P KP 66 PPP. Against Millia I was using 623~P instead, though I just input it 6236P. Any tips for making this work better, or is it just a really hard combo? I generally drop it between second c.S and 623P. For now I'll probably just do the PK4K, KK midscreen oki stuff if I land a hit starting in the opposite corner, seems pretty good anyways :)

Been trying to figure out a way to wall splat with KKK from every starter. Ram's combos seem extremely dynamic since everything seems to launch at slightly different heights and distances, like KPP, 2KPP, and 2PPK, etc... It's actually kind of fun trying to find the most efficient way to corner carry and wall splat given all of the different variables. At least in training mode. I'm sure dropping these in high stakes matches makes you want to pull your hair out. I should probably start taking notes on this stuff though, no way I'm going to just remember everything. I need to look at the GunFrame app and see how well the note taking works.

Definitely need to work on oki stuff a bit more, and get some arcade mode runs in and see how well I can apply stuff in matches. Having a lot of fun and feel like I'm making good headway so far! Thanks again for helping me get started!

2 hours ago, Lodrak said:

I don't really have any real games under my belt yet, but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the combo routes for the most part. The wallsplat follow-ups had me frustrated for awhile until I realized I have to change which normals I use post splat depending on the height, I can usually convert now. I generally do c.S 5H for high splats, c.S f.S for medium splats, and just c.S for low splats. I go into 6H 66 delayed c.S 6S 66 c.S 66 c.S 2D j.2H when equipped, and if I'm deployed, <splat follow-up> j.2H c.S j.2S 66 6K j.8D for knockdown, then j.2H for meaty sword oki. Does that seem solid or are there reasons I shouldn't do those follow-ups? I see most combos recommend 6S first and then 6H, not sure why...?

Sounds like decent combos, note that fS xx 6H/6S is also viable if you need the range. Followups sounds solid though people usually have their own variations. I don't do j2H/j2S right after 2D or j8D and rather opt for grounded 2H/2S but that's my personal preference as it doesn't matter too much. Depends slightly on what oki you want to do afterwards. I don't understand why some use 6K in deployed corner combos after j2H hits. The variation I do is *splat* > filler > j2H land cS > j2S IAD jH land j8D. It puts you right next to them ready for the j8D and deployed jH does more damage than 6K so it might squeeze out 1-3 more points of damage. Mostly irrelevant.

You vary if you start with 6S or 6H in the corner combo depending on their wakeup-frames. On some characters, ending with 2D xx 2H might not work while 2D xx 2S would. Could vary timing by jumping but you might end up getting it too late, not getting meaty, especially against fast wakeuppers like Venom. If you want to go for a standing reset, 6S is best to use first as a variation on the standing reset is baiting mashed jabs (that would beat cmd throw attempt) by simply jumping, letting them get hit by CH 6H. If you used 6S last the jabs would kill the sword.

I can't seem to get the full corner carry combo down very consistently, especially on lights like Millia, seems extremely tight. That's c.S 623P 66 PK 66 PK KP 66 c.S 623~P KP 66 PPP. Against Millia I was using 623~P instead, though I just input it 6236P. Any tips for making this work better, or is it just a really hard combo? I generally drop it between second c.S and 623P. For now I'll probably just do the PK4K, KK midscreen oki stuff if I land a hit starting in the opposite corner, seems pretty good anyways

It's a combination of both, though Millias weight is the worst factor here. Personally I would never go for midscreen oki, but rather do a sideswitch combo if they felt close enough to the corner to my back, or just do a standard wallcarry if not. I would rather sacrifice midscreen oki to get corner pressure instead, even if I have to end with PPP non wallsplat. This of course, is against Millia and other lightweights / weird hurtboxes. Against most characters, full corner carry is usually pretty easy.

Been trying to figure out a way to wall splat with KKK from every starter.

This might help; every hit of KKK can be delayed either slightly or longer. Delaying hits might help with consistency and/or adjusting their wallsplat height.

I'm sure this has been asked, but with a 48 page General Discussion, I don't think I'm going to find it (I did a search for it and didn't turn much up).

Question:

What is the difference between her target combos?  For some, it's clear because they hit low or launch, but some seem... really damn similar.  ppp and kkk for example.  So when do you use some of the more similar target combos?

To expand on that, you can get similar damage by ending with PPP but it requires you to do harder combos that often requires dustloops, all in all doing dustloops into PPP gives the opponent more burst and meter than doing shorter combos into KKK.

Damage is same but execution is lower and burst/meter gain is lower.