Kurushii

[Xrd] Ramlethal - Gameplay Discussion (Discuss Videos/Combos/Questions/etc.)

How does one go about walking people respect sword Oki? I knock down people and put a sword but they don't give a shit, always poke me out of 6k or reversal me or just jump out. Do I 2k until they start blocking?

But EWGFs aren't true JFs also - they have 3 or 4 frames of input leniency at least since Tekken 5.

Close but not quite. When you input DF in the EWGF-motion you have 2 frames to input RP.

Greenflash daruo is way easier.

How does one go about walking people respect sword Oki? I knock down people and put a sword but they don't give a shit, always poke me out of 6k or reversal me or just jump out. Do I 2k until they start blocking?

Certain setups are fake and can be disrespected. Best example is probably normal throw into 6h. You don't get enough time for the sword to come out meaty and hence opponents just do whatever they want.

So, I’m going to be getting this game when it comes out in North America, and I’m rather interested in Ramlethal. Although, I really don’t have a whole lot of experience playing Guilty Gear. Is Ramlethal good for an inexperienced player like me?

So, I’m going to be getting this game when it comes out in North America, and I’m rather interested in Ramlethal. Although, I really don’t have a whole lot of experience playing Guilty Gear. Is Ramlethal good for an inexperienced player like me?

I'm quite inexperienced and I think she's alright. Having said that, I'm having trouble getting the dash p k after daruo consistently, sometimes the dummy in practice recovers too fast. Is there any tips or trick to land it more consistently?

It takes about an hour of grinding that combo out to learn the timing and get a feel for it. 6P, Daruo, dash PK is an odd timing but it just gets easier the more you attempt it.

I'm quite inexperienced and I think she's alright. Having said that, I'm having trouble getting the dash p k after daruo consistently, sometimes the dummy in practice recovers too fast. Is there any tips or trick to land it more consistently?

On light characters, you want to get normal Daruo so they don't float too high and green Daruo on heavier characters for the opposite reason. There's always the Daiji combo though.

What set ups are you doing that they're disrespecting? People need to be able to disrespect in between KPP, 2KPP, and 2KPK because she would be even more ridiculous. You need the 2S and 2HS to cover those block strings so they start respecting your block strings. 

I know it's probably been discussed a lot already but what are general tips to get started with Ram? I know a little bit but anything would help. What should I do for oki? What is the best placed sword move to use in neutral if at all? Is raw dauro ever a good idea? Best poke normals both with and without swords? Anything would be appreciated.

The wiki is an excellent place to find this stuff usually.

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ramlethal_Valentine_(GGXRD)

But from use so far (very little) I recommend 5S for a standing poke, 2K for a quick low poke. I typically only set the H sword in Neutral until I'm convinced the character is immobile enough to utilize the S sword set. Otherwise I just use the sets for combos or oki.

For Oki 6S set works fine if you can time it, and if you feel the additional pressure is needed and think you can get away with it , sometimes 6H set has good additional pressure in this instance. I prefer personally to have already set the H sword and use 2H for a bigger screen presence.

I'd only raw Dauro as a full length whiff punish if you can't get anything better to start with. 

Now if you're having a hard time with getting used to Ram and her oddness spend a lot of time in training just learning her basic strings PPP / PKP etc: an get used to the almost alien way she plays. It took me about a solid hour to get down a few basic strings that I'd actually remember in a fight and longer to get decent combos (which I still drop a lot)

The biggest part of this is know when to and when not to set your swords and against what opponent. Example, obviously Pot is pretty easy set if you stay very aware and zone. On the flipside I'd only set a sword vs say, Chipp or Millia if you're setting up for Oki or have them in the corner with hopes to keep them there under pressure.

^^^ By no means a pro's opinion. Just a guy starting with Ram and a few others for the first time.

You're probably doing the input too soon and that's why they don't come out. What I always do is this, when you think you should do the input, wait a bit more, always works for me lol.

Anybody have any tips on getting those dash links consistent? I cannot for the life of me do those consistently.

It's a process of elimination, if it's not coming out do it later, if you're getting 6p make sure the stick returns to neutral. Practise a lot.

While I like using 5S to poke, is it just me or is the range on that thing shorter than it looks?

Yeah the range isn't as long as you think it is. I believe the hitbox doesn't extend all the way to the tip. Unlike Mu's 5c.

Far S hitbox does not reach the tip of the sword and the start up & recovery is kind of slow, in my opinion. You tend to get out poked or whiff punished by characters such as Ky, Faust, Elphet, and Axl. They tend to have farther ranged normals or faster normals to counter poke or whiff punish you. You'll need to be careful with using it as their max range is farther than your max range.

I know it's probably been discussed a lot already but what are general tips to get started with Ram? I know a little bit but anything would help. What should I do for oki? What is the best placed sword move to use in neutral if at all? Is raw dauro ever a good idea? Best poke normals both with and without swords? Anything would be appreciated.

-Raw Daruo without a good reason is never a good idea. The regular version is -4 on block (worse on IB) and the just frame version is -1. Depending on the opponents character they can IB and punish you for doing this carelessly. Even if they don't you've given your opponent an opportunity to start their pressure because you're negative on block. There's much better options to use in the neutral game.

-Best normals with the sword equipped is far S. Be careful with it's use for the reasons I stated above.

-Best normals with out the sword is 6S, 6HS, 2S, and 2HS. Her normals with out the sword aren't meant to play a ground game and shouldn't be used without assistance from your swords. You want to use a mix of cassius, the above normals, and utilizing air movement to keep the opponent frustrated. Utilizing YRCs with the swords is also good at keeping yourself safe or create an opening. 6S is fast and covers a lot of horizontal range so it's a nice interrupt if the opponent is running at you or throwing fireballs. 6HS is slightly less effective because of it's vertical hitbox but it can suffice as an interrupt if the 6S is not available. 2S and 2HS have great circular hit boxes but are slow on start up. If you're playing neutral you tend to want to use 6S to keep the opponent's ground movement in check then supplement it with 2HS to try to get them to block something while you close in. 

-j.P is amazing and it's really hard for characters to contest Ramlethal air-to-air. 

-Ramlethal's oki is dependent on whether she swords or not, type of knockdown, and screen position. Midscreen with swords after a 2KK or 2D knockdown you want to try 6HS or j.6HS to go for either 2K or 6K. You can also try trickier set ups like jump back air dash forward, 6S YRC then fall with j.K. Depending on when you do 6S you can be behind or in front of the opponent. The YRC is to prevent them from up backing to get out of the set up.

-In the corner you want to end your knockdowns with either 2D or a juggle PPP. If you get the 2D knockdown you want to jump cancel it immediately and start deploying 6S or 6HS and then go for a late air dash j.K, j.P, j.K or land and do 2K or 2D. Utilizing late YRCs also help these set ups. If the swords are already deployed then utilize 2S and 2HS with the similar mix ups. If you can get them to respect the swords then you can go for a command grab ats well. With 50% meter you can do Toranshi as well.

Hey ppl, until now I only played around in practice mode a bit trying to find some safejumps and the first ones I came up with were:

Midscreen: 2KK, IAD(crossup), j.6S, delayed j.K(, 2D, 623P)

Corner: 2D, jc7, late j.2H, airdash, late j.K

I hardly watched any videos or researched the game much yet, so I dunno what's state of the art oki-wise.

Disregard if already known: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxfd5zPP4A

Didn't try it against the whole cast yet, but I guess timings need to be adjusted, if the opponent's character has different wakeup timings. Is there maybe a listing with all characters wakeup times around somewhere?

-Raw Daruo without a good reason is never a good idea. The regular version is -4 on block (worse on IB) and the just frame version is -1. Depending on the opponents character they can IB and punish you for doing this carelessly. Even if they don't you've given your opponent an opportunity to start their pressure because you're negative on block. There's much better options to use in the neutral game.

There's no reason not to do the JF and it's hard to IB a 15f move from neutral because you can't do it on reaction, so in practice it's -1. She has a 4f jab and not every character even has a 4f move (Faust and Axl's fastest normals are 6f for example). It goes into good combo on hit and is safe on block. Really the only reason I can see not to use it raw is that it's 15f and has no invuln, so despite moving quickly it'll get beat out by a lot of standard pokes.

Depending on the amount of hits you add prior to Dauro, PK PK will stop comboing and drop between the second P-(Drop)K. To alleviate this you have to do

xxx -> c.S -> Dauro -> dash PK -> KPP -> very quick dash (Sometimes not necessary?) into PPP

Another question, though it may be better suited for the combo thread. Why use the PPP string over the KKK string? It seems like the KKK one does more damage and 5K has more range than 5P, and the combos from it seem to be the same as well.

Continuing pressure if your opponent blocks your first one or two mixups is very hard...

Depends on how you timed the swords. If S and HS are in cool down or 2S/2HS are in their start ups then you've ended your pressure. If you spaced the timing out so that one isn't in cool down then you can keep pressure going for a bit. YRCing helps this out as well from my experiences. Worst case scenario you super jump call sword, YRC, back dash, call second sword and go from there.

A couple of ideas for corner wallsplat crumble oki instead of normal 2D knockdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMlrSO4Q6fg

I see alot of JP players doing this so I thought I should test it.  Seems main advantage is that its rather hard to reversal out of since you don't have the wakeup animation to time your DP/super...if you set j.2HS lower you can "meaty" a 2D and there only a 1f window to input a reversal. 

Could probably also do j.7HS low airdash j.K  to make it a safejump, as posted earlier

I've been mostly using that setup too.

What I've also seen from Batako quite a few times re one of these setups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qcWa51yCOE&feature=player_detailpage#t=526

Both swords far away: knockdown > set 2S > meaty 2D jc.7 delayHS -> IAD/empty.

It's more or less a 2 way mix-up. Prevents the opponent from jumping away because of the meaty 2D or if they, for whatever reason, thought an overhead was coming they are obviously going to get hit by the 2D. On meaty 2D hit you can still confirm into Ramlethal's corner BnB. While this setup works with both swords deployed next to the opponent, the gaps between the S sword hitting and your IAD j.K/empty is quite large, making it easier for them to just jump away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXOIHE8SrLY&feature=player_detailpage#t=979

With swords still equipped. [combo] PPP, dash c.S > 5HS > 6HS -> 2K/6K/CG

Nothing special but a good way to deploy swords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GekFT0NOkhA#t=838

HS sword deployed, S doesn't matter. [combo] PPP, dash j.PPK > jc > j.2delayHS, j.S then either go into falling j.P. Or empty 2K/2D.

In order to get a combo from empty 2K you need to do j.2HS faster though. From what I've tested falling j.P doesn't work as a safe jump, although my timing might be a little bit off. If you expect a DP you could just let you fall and block, although swords will be on cooldown.