Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grimsley-San

Do you prefer the English or Japanese voices?

What I want to know is... what do Japanese players prefer? :)

Skullgirls recently got a JP Cast, and I'd love to check it out myself, but I'd also like to know if JP players like English dub at all for games.

What I want to know is... what do Japanese players prefer? :)

Skullgirls recently got a JP Cast, and I'd love to check it out myself, but I'd also like to know if JP players like English dub at all for games.

They would probably say that the JP voices are 'terrible', because they got so used to the English voices of Skullgirls.  They only like the JP voices when the games have originally been in Japanese, including BlazBlue and Guilty Gear, just like americans only like the ENG voices in the original american games.

I imagine that Japan is like us.  They have a lot of people that prefer everything in its native language but also a handful of people who are interested in hearing things in their own.

If professional voice actors like Phil LaMarr, Dee Bradley Baker, Fred Tatasciore, and Nolan North get to voice characters in Blazblue, it probably would have had alot more praise on English voices.  I personally find the voice actors I listed to be much better than most of the actual voice actors in Blazblue.

I prefer English for most of the BB cast. only exceptions being CP bang, which is a tragedy, and Celica, which is the voice acting equivalent of being hammered with a thousand gamma ray bursts per syllable.

I'm kinda annoyed they swaped hazama/terumi's VA on us. Erholtz is good, but he doesn't have quite the right touch to do the terumi voice effectively and plays it far too straight for my liking, while the previous VA sounded like he was just having fun while delivering the verbal beatdowns on our favorite little punching bags while still delivering hazama's smug asshole lines well.

I can't remember the exact source, but I believe it was said that Tony Oliver left due to issues with the team during CSEX's production and asked for Steve Kramer to take over Bang. Maybe Erik left for a similar reason?

Honestly for me it comes down to which voice I prefer per character. I prefer Yuuichi Nakamura for Terumi and Hazama and Iori Nomizu for Celica, but I much prefer Cristina Vee for Noel, Grant George for Kagura, etc. Some characters, like Ragna and Rachel, I love both Japanese and English. I really wished ASW did the thing Capcom did for MvC3 were you could specifically choose what language each character spoke in.

English is almost always better I think. The only bad English voice I've heard recently is SOL's from XRD. 

Japanese voices are obviously more suitable for games like Arcana Heart though. 

While I can appreciate both languages I've always been more of a fan of Engilsh dubs. 

While some English voices are better than others I can still get into them more than most Japanese voice acting. 

I like the phrase "Words have more weight when it's the language you speak."

I can't remember the exact source, but I believe it was said that Tony Oliver left due to issues with the team during CSEX's production and asked for Steve Kramer to take over Bang. Maybe Erik left for a similar reason?

I don't know what issues those are, but given the fact that Oliver was doing ADR work for a few projects sometime between CSEX and CP, like Fate/Zero and the Danganronpa games, it has to be at least scheduling issues.

They would probably say that the JP voices are 'terrible', because they got so used to the English voices of Skullgirls.  They only like the JP voices when the games have originally been in Japanese, including BlazBlue and Guilty Gear, just like americans only like the ENG voices in the original american games.

It's the complete opposite with U.S. players and Guilty Gear, they actually prefer the JP voices most of the time.

While I can appreciate both languages I've always been more of a fan of Engilsh dubs. 

While some English voices are better than others I can still get into them more than most Japanese voice acting. 

I like the phrase "Words have more weight when it's the language you speak."

I prefer things to be based on character-specific choices, like how UMvC3 handles things, too bad Capcom only does it that way.

For me personally though:

BlazBlue: English Dub
Guilty Gear: JP Audio (most of the time, though I switch now and then)
Soul Calibur: JP Audio
Street Fighter: Depends on nationality of whom I use (or is more convincing).  Ryu is JP, Ken is US, Sakura is JP, Karin is US, etc.

If there is an option between Japanese and English, I will always prefer English because I like being able to understand what is being said. Simple as that really.

In a game like say Tekken where everyone speaks their native language however, I would prefer that over everyone speaking English because it would sound weird to me otherwise.