Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strife

[P4AU] Junpei Iori - Q&A Thread

P4U2_Header_Q&A_Thread.png

*Note* - When browsing the Junpei Iori forums please follow the rules of the site, failure to do so will result in an Infraction. If you do not know the rules you can check them here -> Site Rules.

This thread is for the sole purpose of questions regarding the character. Whether it be advice on spacing, how to do particular combos, or how to be the man, ask away here. Please refrain from being confrontational in this thread - everyone here just wants to learn. 

Wiki is updated! Make sure to take a look for more detailed info.

I'll start it off.

When you use 236236C/D or 214214C/D (the awakening only super), do you have to time the moment for Junpei to swing his bat? Or does Junpei automatically hit the opponent when Trismegistus fly's quite close to Junpei or the fireball is close to Junpei?

Also, are the Junpei players incredibly good at creating pressure or something? It looks like Junpei's not so good on trying to open up an opponent, or at least I can see so many chances to DP in the middle of it. Seems like it's not easy to get 10 bases/homeruns whatever they're called :gonk:

I'll start it off.

When you use 236236C/D or 214214C/D (the awakening only super), do you have to time the moment for Junpei to swing his bat? Or does Junpei automatically hit the opponent when Trismegistus fly's quite close to Junpei or the fireball is close to Junpei?

Also, are the Junpei players incredibly good at creating pressure or something? It looks like Junpei's not so good on trying to open up an opponent, or at least I can see so many chances to DP in the middle of it. Seems like it's not easy to get 10 bases/homeruns whatever they're called :gonk:

For the first question, you have to time it. This applies not only to these Supers but to 236236A/B as well. By the way, depending on the version you use for 214214C/D, it gets easier or harder to get the hit. For example, the C version makes Trismegistus fly slower, which makes it easier to get a Homerun while D and SB are faster/harder but deal more damage.

Well, as far as DPs goes, you can DP a lot of things in his mixup, but that applies to most characters. He does have some ways to open the opponent though: 

• 5A is a pretty average jab but can be used for tick throws or stagger pressure.
  • 5AA moves him forward, this allows you to go for a throw or even a cross up since you can jump cancel it on block.
  • 2B can also be canceled into a jump on block, this allows for cross ups with air turn or regular jumps to reset pressure or bait something.
  • Some things can also be canceled into a Hop to reset pressure and get more Balls (bat attacks on block).
  • All versions of Super Push Bunt (214A/B) contains guard frames (armor), this will beat mashing in some situations. The SB Version will even allow you to stay in since it's +1 on block.
  • Zenryoku Sliding (236C/D) is one of the strongest mixup tools he has. It can be a low or both an overhead and a low. Leads to good damage with OMC or OMB. SB Version has guard frames (armor) and both have chest invul later in the move. If you use OMC, you can get some nice high/low situations off of it.

Well, this is some of the options he has while trying to get a hit. It's important to note that you should pay attention to the Baseball gauge and get as many points as you can while pressuring. It's not hard to reach 10 Runs most of the time, Homeruns help a lot.

How are Junpei's matchups? Seem to be good against most of the cast or horrible against a few of the characters?

Hard for me to say since I can't play the game yet, but from what I've seen, you could say both. 

He can fight most characters, a good portion of his match-ups are definitely manageable. However, some of them look really bad, like Narukami, Yosuke and Minazuki.

feel free to ignore this question until the game comes out, i just wanted to post it before i forget. to anyone who's played junpei, how hard is it to time clean hits?

feel free to ignore this question until the game comes out, i just wanted to post it before i forget. to anyone who's played junpei, how hard is it to time clean hits?

Depends. I think corner combos are a lot easier when compared to midscreen ones. It can be hard to perfectly convert a random hit midscreen into a full combo.

Hey everyone, I'm Jarv. Been interested in Junpei for the past few months and now that I'm finally able to play him I feel overwhelmed. There's a lot to learn! I am unsure what to learn first and how to prioritize goals with learning this character.

I am stuck on the FC 2D challenge, so I decided to work on learning beginner combos from Xie's combo video. I'm having trouble doing 5AA j.B j.A 5A consistently, and I can't get 2C h.B. It got me thinking, "are these combos even worth learning?" I'm not trying to ask for all the answers as I know part of character development is learning these priorities yourself.

I guess what I'm asking is what did you learn first in training mode? I'm wondering how useful some of these beginner combos really are if they dont give a lot of runs, but is it smart to jump in and learn a 10 run combo? Sorry if this question isn't very clear, but I really like the complexity of Junpei... he's just a little complex!

Thanks everyone

Hey everyone, I'm Jarv. Been interested in Junpei for the past few months and now that I'm finally able to play him I feel overwhelmed. There's a lot to learn! I am unsure what to learn first and how to prioritize goals with learning this character.

I am stuck on the FC 2D challenge, so I decided to work on learning beginner combos from Xie's combo video. I'm having trouble doing 5AA j.B j.A 5A consistently, and I can't get 2C h.B. It got me thinking, "are these combos even worth learning?" I'm not trying to ask for all the answers as I know part of character development is learning these priorities yourself.

I guess what I'm asking is what did you learn first in training mode? I'm wondering how useful some of these beginner combos really are if they dont give a lot of runs, but is it smart to jump in and learn a 10 run combo? Sorry if this question isn't very clear, but I really like the complexity of Junpei... he's just a little complex!

Thanks everyone

To be honest, the combo you're mentioning is really strict, try something easier for now. The only Junpei I saw using that was Hina and it was only once.

Your priorities in training mode should be:  Get 10 runs > Midscreen clean hit combos > Corner clean hit combos.

To get 10 runs, watch pet's video. It's really easy to apply those.

For midscreen clean hit combos, try something like 5AA > 2C > 5C > j.B CL, 2B CL > j.A > j.B CL > j.B CL > j.236B CL. Then learn the bat loop later.

For corner combos, try 5AA > 2C > (Delay a little) BD CL > 214A CL, 2B CL > 5B CL > 5C > j.B CL > j.236B CL, 5B CL > Hop j.B CL > 214A CL, 5D or 236236C~C

Then learn throw combos and All Out Attacks.

Can you connect a homerun super after j.236A/B midscreen? Can't seem to do it outside corner

Yes, you can. You must use 236236D~A or C to make it work.

The D version of the super will freeze the screen for more time, allowing you to swing.

Yes, you can. You must use 236236D~C to make it work.

The D version of the super will freeze the screen for more time, allowing you to swing.

Thank you based StrifeBro! This will help a lot getting those runs

I'm having some trouble getting in/staying in.  

People don't respect my pressure and just jab or dp out of my attempts of mixup.  

What do you do when you have them in the corner?  I usually go for the overhead slide, but that gets blocked and I get punished.

I'm having some trouble getting in/staying in.  

People don't respect my pressure and just jab or dp out of my attempts of mixup.  

What do you do when you have them in the corner?  I usually go for the overhead slide, but that gets blocked and I get punished.

Normally, if you know they're mashing, just cancel 5AA or 2B in a jump and just block (in case of DP) or punish them with j.B (in case of 5A, 2A etc).

To go in, poke them with j.B, j.C and persona attacks until you see an opening. To stay in, use jump, dash and hop cancels in pressure. 5B/5C are dash canceleable, 5AA/2B are jump canceleable and sweep is Hop canceleable. 

As for the slide, you shouldn't use it without 50 SP or a Burst. There's absolutely no reward without those resources and you will be punished if they block it. Those resources can make the move safe on block and even give you more options since you can do 236D (1) > OMC > j.B/2A for a high/low mixup. 

This is mostly a question for Strife, since he's probably studied Stupei more than anyone. I'm still learning the ins and outs of stagger pressure characters since I've played 50/50 characters exclusively until now. I'd just like to know what Junpei has that makes for solid pressure and what some his viable blockstrings and frame traps are. Apologies if this was already covered somewhere.

... The 30th can't come soon enough, I want to play so badly.

This is mostly a question for Strife, since he's probably studied Stupei more than anyone. I'm still learning the ins and outs of stagger pressure characters since I've played 50/50 characters exclusively until now. I'd just like to know what Junpei has that makes for solid pressure and what some his viable blockstrings and frame traps are. Apologies if this was already covered somewhere.

... The 30th can't come soon enough, I want to play so badly.

Alright, his pressure is basically stagger with jump/hop/dash cancels while going for Throw/Divekick/AoA/Slide/Air turn mixups from time to time. This is where you need to be creative.

As for blockstrings, they're pretty simple. Just apply stagger with As, Bs and Cs while using their cancel options to keep your opponent blocking. Although, you won't use C or D moves much since they will pretty much end pressure most of the time. If they're respecting you a lot, you can try 5D or j.D for a mixup afterwards.

And... I honestly didn't work on frame traps yet.  :v:

Better get on that man, I need that to win and shit. I'd do it myself, but I don't have the game. :psyduck:

Also, I forgot to ask one other thing. Does it ever feel like a struggle to manage the baseball meter when it comes to whiffing moves and getting outs? I can imagine it would be hard to stop yourself from jumping around throwing j.B like you would with other characters.

Also, I forgot to ask one other thing. Does it ever feel like a struggle to manage the baseball meter when it comes to whiffing moves and getting outs? I can imagine it would be hard to stop yourself from jumping around throwing j.B like you would with other characters.

Nah, not much. If you get a Base, you will reset all of your Strikes. You can whiff 2 bats as long as you hit the next one and it won't matter. Making them block is good too because if you get 4 Balls, then you get a Base and your Strikes will disappear the same way. Homeruns will clean everything too.

Also, once he gets 10 runs, his baseball gauge is merely for his Regen and Clean Hits will allow you to get much more Runs during combos. You can definitely go a little bit crazier with whiffs at that point.

As labrys main, junpie looks like character up my alley. I like simple combo and simple tools. Would junpie be good fit?

As labrys main, junpie looks like character up my alley. I like simple combo and simple tools. Would junpie be good fit?

You might as well try him. His tools and clean hit combos can be a little overwhelming at first, but I got used to it pretty quick.

Wont have game for some time. Any way for me to start learning?

Well, you can go to the video thread and watch the Hina Vs. Pet FT10 to get some ideas of how to play him. These are the best Junpei players in Japan.

Feel free to watch their matches against other players, it's good to see how the match-up against other characters goes too.

I'm slowly trying to learn Junpei and the one thing that I've run across multiple times so far is how to get the CL on his B+D after a 2C. I can't get it consistently.

It requires hitting the opponent while they're at a certain height, so I found it easier to just look at the screen and hit the button when you see them at that height rather than trying to ingrain the timing into my muscle memory. That's honestly the best way I can explain it other than "You must hit it rather quickly, but not right after the 2C".

I've been trying to work around Junpei's resourceless stuff. I know his best combo for netting bats is the one with 2C > shorthop > j.B > 5A, but I can't land it consistently...

I've stumbled into this combo though, for 4 bats.

5AA > 2B > 5C > j.B > j.B > 236B

It can get 5 runs if you add the 50 SP, too. Is it character specific? Any reason I should use other options? I'm fairly new to this iteration, and have just been trying to start out with Junpei, and I just really want to optimize his basics for when I don't have (or want to) OMB, and having something I can pull off easy enough to get to Victory Cry as I progress. The combo thread only had 3-bat and 5-bat combos, so I dunno.