brett_

[FB] EXVSFB Wiki Project

Hey guys, Shtkn has given us the OK to add Gundam to the dustloop wiki :).

I've gone ahead and transfered most of the DX data over to show you guys as a template: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gundam_Double_X_(EXVSFB)

To contribute, check the code from the DX page and use it as a template.

To create a page, go to http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mobile_Suit_Name_(EXVSFB) and edit it. Please report here when you've done so so we can keep track of what's going on. At a certain point we'll have a navigation sidebar etc linking all of them together and categorizing them under costs, etc. We'll also have mechanics and system pages up at some point in time.

It seems the login for the wiki is not the same for the Dustloop forums..? Is a new account required??

edit: also, re: your question in the 3k thread about paraphrasing notes/weapon descriptions vs adding personal thoughts - what are your wishes with this?

you don't need an account to edit hte wiki

as it says on the front page of the wiki:

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

We currently allow anyone to edit the wiki (after they pass a dustloop specific captcha), and only allow users with an account to upload images and other files. If you'd like an account (so you don't have to keep answering captchas), please contact the dustloop staff.

I fell behind a bit on updating my threads. Once I catch up I will do so on the wiki hopefully on me gettin home from work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Followup questions:

1) Suits that have mode changes that have entirely different wiki pages dedicated to them (Sinanju, Unicorns, Strike...), do these need to be made separate entries on our new wiki? Or just put it all on one page? Is there some kind of collapsible table function??

2) I...don't supposed there's any chance we can get the captchas to ask more Gundam-related questions over fighting game questions..?  :sweat: "how long is a frame in seconds?"???? ><

edit: apparently it only asks a few different questions, I can just memorize the answers to that many XD

Edit #2: Can we maybe officially in this thread establish what we're going to do for writing a/main/BR, ab/Sub, ac/BZ. I know we all know these interchangeably, but perhaps for a consistent view across pages...uppercase/lowercase?

In that vein, official stance on are we going to transpose all combos from the JP pages, or just essential ones? JP notes vs personal notes? Muzzle correction values?

For combos: I am of the opinion that since button combinations are much easier to execute, BR should be used instead of A, B+C, A+C, etc. It will look much cleaner in the end. BZ is the same way. For the rest, buttons should be used instead unless considering specific movements such as MA mode, jump cancels, or super vernier cancels, in which these should be specified with their own notation in their respective pages.

Since I also play fighting games, I do think that button combinations should be notated with a + sign to denote 2 button presses to avoid confusion, ie, A+B over AB. For example, this could lead to confusion in talking about V2's AB mode and his A+B gerobi. But since the majority of the EXVS threads don't have this notation, addition of this might not be necessary as notation is already decided.

When writing about moves however, it is best to be direct as possible and to write out BR, BZ, sub, assist, etc as opposed to using button notation. It might even be better to write out the entire name instead of its abbreviation in this case for better writing style. "Gundam's beam javelin can be charged to three levels." or "Gundam's JV can be charged to three levels." or "Gundam's A+C can be charged to three levels." etc. In any case, I think that as long as you are clear and that 80% of the wiki is consistent with itself, a little leniency between styles is fine.

Yeah, RX-78-2 is a good example of that JP wiki is kinda a mess to read through with all the specialized notations going on it between JV1~3, BC, BZ, different AC's etc, before you even get to the notes and discussion.

If we're going to use it, maybe it would be good if you're writing up a suit that has some special notations like that you just make a brief introduction of those terms at the very beginning of the page? God Gundam off the top of my head is another example of a suit with a lot of specialized terminology used on that page.

Brett here's the link to the God Gundam page I got started and I'm working on http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=God_Gundam_(EXVSFB)

thanks - looks great

Followup questions:

1) Suits that have mode changes that have entirely different wiki pages dedicated to them (Sinanju, Unicorns, Strike...), do these need to be made separate entries on our new wiki? Or just put it all on one page? Is there some kind of collapsible table function??

Edit #2: Can we maybe officially in this thread establish what we're going to do for writing a/main/BR, ab/Sub, ac/BZ. I know we all know these interchangeably, but perhaps for a consistent view across pages...uppercase/lowercase?

In that vein, official stance on are we going to transpose all combos from the JP pages, or just essential ones? JP notes vs personal notes? Muzzle correction values?

1) Keep them on one page. It's up to you how to organize it though. It might be kind of gross but I don't think we really need two seperate pages for destroy and normal mode. Besides, if we feel like we DO, its not that hard to make a seperate page

2) generally people have just been writing BC AC etc, which I think its okay. I also agree with lark that its better to use the +, but due to how gundam notation works, its rarely an issue since the only time you really have multiple buttons written in succession is something like 5BBA for a melee combo. Even then, I generally prefer to write it as 5BB~A to denote the A followup. I also like using A over BR by itself because it just looks nicer. I also prefer capitalizing things when able. I also recommend for followups to use ~ rather than the direct cancel symbol (-> or →).

3) We don't HAVE to transpose anything, but more information is better. What's more important is that people should make sure to actually say something if they're going to include personal notes. I suggest translating if you can help it, and then if you want to add personal notes, do that in the individual move sections so we can review and approve them. If you hvae an issue translating something, simply ask it either here or in the q/a section

It's worth pointing out that BR, BZ, and other abbreviations do not always mean the same buttons for every suit (case in point, your example of the button combination AC being interchangeable with BZ is generally untrue). While I don't have a clear opinion on whether to use letters or abbreviations, I do want to mention that writing button combinations or "Main"/"Sub" avoids having to deal with whether or not to use a + sign, as well as any potential button confusion. Button confusion is pretty unimportant, though, seeing as how players should really be able to figure out any moves they need to for any given suit whether by checking a movelist or just trying things out.

Notation Examples:

- BR >> BR -> BZ

- A >> A -> AB

- Main >> Main -> Sub

I'm also going to support using ~ for followups. I've been trying to use -> (as per the JP wiki), but it's honestly really irritating to look at and doesn't really clearly convey that I'm referring to a move-specific followup. ~ is a fairly standard notation for followup moves, so it's probably best to just use it.

will do. in the future, you can rename pages (should be called Move in the drop down menu in hte top right of each page).

Are there any guides anyone recommends for formatting wiki pages?  I'm thinking of doing the Freedom page next, I'm just copying akai_GO's template right now, but I kinda want to learn how to format it myself for the future :P

Specifically, a couple of questions with the wiki, for those with any experience:

How do I upload images?  (Probably just gonna upload a small png. of the unit to differentiate it) Edit: nevermind, just read that you need to have an account on the wiki to upload images

How do I change the colour of font?  (Assault & Blast burst stuff)

In other news, I got started on the Freedom page, following the JP wiki format much more closely now.  Let me know if anything needs to be changed/edited.

Thanks!

Done the Freedom wiki page!   Check it out here

If anyone could proofread the tactics section & help translate the combo notes that have *** beside them, I'd appreciate it!

Sorry to whoever I stole the wiki page from, I assumed it was just created and left there since it was empty.

I dunno what wiki page I'll do next, I kinda want to do ones I haven't done docs for.  I'll start on Gottrlatan unless someone else really wants to do her page.

Also, could I request an account login for the wiki?  I'm the type of person who edits a lot as they go rather than all at once, so it's kind of a pain to constantly have to answer captcha questions all the time.  I'm sure akai_GO is the same, given the activity I've seen on the front page :P

ok can you guys agree on the names for the suits? i see a Wing Zero Custom page, but the front page just calls it Wing Zero and therefore doesn't link to it.

2 other pages have been moved/deleted due to this issue as well.

How do we edit the bottom navbar, so we can fix or add suit names there? I feel like I've asked this before for the P4 wiki, but I've forgotten the answer. Was it something only you could edit, shtkn?

you need to navigate to the template in question, if you don't know how templates work... google mediawiki templates and welcome to my world.

i need to head out now, so i can't provide support for at least a few hours