Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoWL

Rise of Incarnates (Bandai Namco Games/PC/F2P)

Official website: http://www.riseofincarnates.com/

Game Informer interview: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/rise_of_incarnates/b/pc/archive/2014/04/22/hands-on-with-bandai-namco-s-2-on-2-melee-shooter.aspx

The game mechanics are based loosely on the extremely popular in Japan two verses two action franchise, Gundam Versus. It’s a series Incarnates executive producer Ryuichiro Baba had previously worked on for 10 years. Several years of market research has convinced Bandai Namco the free-to-play, two versus two action game model can be popular outside of Japan, but rather than just bring over Gundam – which would only appeal to a small group of fans – it decided to create a whole new franchise, which is how Rise of Incarnates was born.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lksRP845A9M

Gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ouCOtyvKM

New Gundam VS / J-Stars? On PC? And everyone gets a Stand? Sign me up.

Certainly looks like it could be fun. And until SE gets around to announcing a console port of Gunslinger Stratos (another Gundam Vs. style game from the makers at ByKing), I can see myself playing this, too. I'm definitely game. 

Oh, wasn't sure if I should've posted this, but I guess we're talking about it . . .

Too early to tell if the gameplay will be anything special but I am surprised this is a PC title, or rather PC first [especially with Bamco so rarely releasing products on the platform] but it will be interesting to see what direction they take with this title, especially with their pushes into the F2P market so far . . . *shudders*

art direction sucks!

I really hope that Bamco hasn't given up on packaged fighting games, and that this F2P silliness isn't all we're ever going to get from them from now on.

If they have to go the F2P route, they should do it like DOA5U on PS3, where the game has both a packaged and F2P incarnation that can play with each other.

Oh, wasn't sure if I should've posted this, but I guess we're talking about it . . .

Too early to tell if the gameplay will be anything special but I am surprised this is a PC title, or rather PC first [especially with Bamco so rarely releasing products on the platform] but it will be interesting to see what direction they take with this title, especially with their pushes into the F2P market so far . . . *shudders*

Well, there is this:

As my time with Rise of Incarnates came to a close, I was also promised that the game doesn’t use a pay-to-win model. In regards to monetization, the only things you’ll have to spend cash on are cosmetic changes to your characters, so at least the barrier for entry for your wallet is low. Whether or not that’ll be enough to rope westerners into this very Japanese concept, however, is yet to be seen.

https://www.egmnow.com/articles/previews/hands-on-rise-of-incarnates/

We'll see if that holds up by the time they start talking about possibly adding in more characters. But for now, it's better than what I hoped when "F2P" came up. 

First build doesn't have Side 7. Game sucks.

Don't trust scamco with F2p, looks sluggish too.

Lack of overdrive might make it better than maxi though.  The real hook with EXVS is its the closer you get to an honest low entry barrier "fighting" game.

They really need to clean up the visuals though, clear and easy to read visual information is something that EXVS does really really well.

alpha keys have been given out, check if you got a key. Japan and Asia not included orz.

Servers won't be up until tomorrow.

I'd be interested in checking out EXVS: Filthy Gaijin Edition if my PC had any hope of being able to run it. Game looks very solid and playable, given its obvious design heritage. But I suspect that Bamco is deliberately keeping it off consoles, because they don't want to cannibalize the EXVS playerbase in Japan with a F2P game and create competition against themselves.

The game is up and running, but I can't even download it, since Steam only gets 142 mb of nonsense instead of about 2 gigs of the proper game. No idea how it turned out to be this way, but I'd actually like to try the game out, even though the Gundam players are tearing it a new one.

Do you have x64 Windows? That's a prerequisite for some reason, apparently.

Nope, I'm x32. I wonder if they're going to fix it later down the line, or I should just upgrade.

Okay so from 20 minutes of play:

- You can't do BR dash BR dash  BR

- No rainbow step

- Can't sidestep then tap jump

- Blocking is its own button

- Red lock range is tiny. Understandable since they're trying to make it about dudes punching each other, but still saddening

- There's an option to input your additional weapons with either unique buttons (pad friendly) or as Shoot/Melee + a unique button. No option to just have Shoot+Melee/Shoot+Jump/Melee+Jump

- EX activation's its own button. Appears to do character-specific things. Need to test.

THe interace is fine, and I don't mind the visuals. The game itself feels extremely clunky right now. Atrocious mouse support in menus to boot. Feels like a console conversion even though it's PC exclusive.

EDIT: I guess you can do BR dash BR. The timing's much slower than before. That or the training bots just don't dodge when they could. Again, clunkiness abounds. Need to test the actual multiplayer with more locals.

The early access is going to open on February 4th, and this time, I will actually be able to play it! There are apparently lots of changes from the original beta, which you can check out here:

http://www.riseofincarnates.com/news/609

They also added two more characters, so the roster is going to have eight of them for now.

Fuck spacing and all that I just wanna dash n' mash

Fuck spacing and all that I just wanna dash n' mash

You may have hard time with Incarnates than. While im sure their going to be character with rush down capabilities, the game as a whole seem very mid range oriented (Shoot and dash)so establishing close range going to be challenge. 

The game isn't midrange because of the red-lock distance. It's actually very difficult to avoid melee attacks because there is no stepping in the game. There's even a universal melee that will dodge ranged shot to let yourself get in. One would argue that they should block to avoid melee (which is true to an extent), but you could just boost dash cancel to get around the block. The best way to avoid melee is to actually melee back to get clash. But that's awful.

From what I've played recently, the game is a huge mashfest that is clunky, unfluid, and generally not fun. Definitely not going to play this game until there's an overhaul on the system. There's just too much wrong with the design decisions and it's pretty much doomed to failure.

It's The Poor Man's Gundam Xtreme Versus without a doubt, I think all of us called it from the beginning, but I still have some fun with it, all due to Slayer being the one of the very few that were interesting to play. Then again, I haven't played GXV enough to even know all the things that can be fixed other than it ought to be faster with more room for combo chains.

http://www.riseofincarnates.com/characters/zaur-miljkovic

Why did they call this lava fatman "Loki"? Did they find no better name for him in all the various mythologies at their disposal? I understand that he's a god of fire, but really, there are loads of fire gods to go around, why pick this one?