Tigre

[LM] Arcana Heart 3 Q&A Thread

Wasn't quite sure where to ask this question, but does anyone know how the online fares in comparison between the EU and USA versions? Like, how many people play on each I mean. Tis a bit hard to consistently find people to play against on the EU version, and I was wondering if jumping to the USA version may be better. 

Pretty sure all versions are RIP on netplay. I know the US and the JPN versions are pretty barren.

The US version is pretty dead now. Occasionally you will catch people online, but that's like a catch 22 at this point if you know what I mean.

When I do get on now and then, I typically run into the same few players. I don't necessarily mind but it would be nice to find a wider variety of people. If anyone wants to play message me.

When I do get on now and then, I typically run into the same few players. I don't necessarily mind but it would be nice to find a wider variety of people. If anyone wants to play message me.

When I get on, no one is on. All I get is a tumbleweed rolling through.

There is the arcana heart skype chat that is pretty active that you guys can play with others there.

I was reading through old homingcancel threads for stuff to bring over, and I found one thread where a user asked for a tier list of which characters were easiest to learn the game with. There were only a few responses:

Post by: Farpenoodle on December 22, 2010, 04:04:43 pm

I rate my characters based on how well "mash 2A" works.

Mash 2A works well:

Weiss, Saki, Zenia, Heart

Mash 2A is decent/sorta works:

Everyone else:

Mash 2A sucks:

Mei Fang, Nazuna, Catherine? (2A is a godlike AA so I dunno. Lol.)

Post by: Bill307 on September 01, 2011, 08:58:26 pm

Since no one has posted a full list yet, here's my hasty opinion, in terms of how easy a character is to pick up (not necessarily how easy they are to master).

Expert:  these characters are just weird.

- Lieselotte

- Maori

- Mei-Fang

- Yoriko

Intermediate:  these characters can be strange at times, but aren't too hard to pick up.

- Angelia

- Catherine

- Clarice

- Dorothy

- Kira

- Konoha

- Lilica

- Nazuna

- Petra

- Scharl

- Zenia

Beginner:  these characters are relatively standard.

- Akane

- Eko (j.E lololol)

- Elsa

- Fiona

- Kamui

- Heart

- Saki

- Weiss

Post by: Archer on September 01, 2011, 11:54:37 pm

Here would be my list as far as assuming the highest level of play.

Expert

-Lieselotte (Shoutouts to Freida)

-Yoriko

-Maori

-Dorothy

-Konoha

Intermediate

-Mei-Fang

-Nazuna

-Kira(Honestly I think game mechanics hurt her more than anything)

-Angelia

-Petra(If she had a decent crossover or she would be derp tier)

-Clarice

-Catherine

-Lilica (If only she did damage....)

-Zenia

-Scharlachrot

Beginner

-Eko

-Elsa

-Fiona

-Kamui

-Saki

-Weiss

-Heart

-Akane

I tried to organize them within tiers but things get muddy in the intermediate section. Honestly though except for some of the advanced characters the hardest part of learning any character is just that initial curve once you get past that almost any character in the game becomes derp.

I figured that this might be useful to link to new players who pick up the steam release (and perhaps even 6S) However this thread was from the time of vanilla AH3, and a number of the characters have changed in various ways since then so how accurate would you say these lists are?

Edited by Vadsamoht
formatting

Lol, both my characters are on your expert list with Maori and Dorothy. Fitting...I was a Modok/Ironfist/Arthur guy back in my Marvel days. I love gimmicky shit. I'm wanting to give Akane another go though...her Kotodama cancels remind me of Hurricane Polymar's symbol cancels in TVC.

How's the net code for the Steam version?

Good. Not rollback-levels of good, but definitely playable. I played some games with a friend earlier and our Australia-tier internet gave us no trouble.

tl;dr: It seems fine, but the slow startup on moves relative to AC+R, along with the lack of any frame-perfect required defensive manoeuvres means it's going to take a lot more to feel bad than AC+R.

It feels like BBCSE, possibly better. Certainly not like AC+R. Checking the frame data, it looks like that AH3 has very few moves with less than 5f startup, which would help the feeling of netcode considerably, especially if they do the (apparently typical) ArcSys thing of reducing move startup time by the input delay (I've heard BB and AC+R do this, but not Xrd or #R). Since instant blocking isn't AFAICT a thing, if they do reduce attack startup by input delay the issue with defense that you get in AC+R is less pronounced, since you can just block in advance of the hit then GC out to catch your opponent doing something unsafe, rather than having to IB to catch them which leads to getting screwed over by the delay. Wouldn't help with high/low mixups unless all overhead attacks have more than 22f or so of startup (18f or so if input delay isn't removed from the startup time). The lack of FRCs also helps the overall feeling.

I was playing someone earlier today, and while I'm guessing the connection was bad (the pre-round 1 ping & jitter check was running at 5-10 fps, and I'm guessing the framerate there corresponds to how far from 0f delay it is testing), the game seemed to play alright. I'm guessing it was in the 4-6f delay (just from watching my character) range, but while it felt a bit underwater, I didn't feel like it hampered too much.

EDIT: come to think of it, I have a question: I keep hearing random talk (on YouTube comments and TVTropes) about hidden fanservice and ecchi crap. Is that actually a thing, or is the game pretty WYSIWYG about fanservice (i.e. moeblobs & Scharl's denim bikini)?

I'm not a fan of fanservice, especially sexual fanservice, but I can respect a game that wears what fanservice it has on its sleeve, such as Skullgirls. That way I can at least know what I'm getting into and judge it based on it's most egregious examples, rather than having it surprise me once I'm invested.

Edited by Shadowfury333

Someone PMed me a very detailed explanation of what was going on there, yeah. I knew something had to be up, I've seen videos like this before...and it seems like the last few sets of videos have been that. It's cool that they're doing that and streaming/recording it, just not something I usually ever see.

Wow, hopefully that happens with Steam too. At this point I've been playing as much as I can partly because I'm worried no one will be here in a week, so I should get all the playing in now or never.

Granted, if everyone thinks that way then the game will have a stable base community, which would be good. Something of a self-defeating prophecy.

Ran into someone playing this game and it reminded me that I like it a lot, so I picked up the Vita version just to mess around a little (don't have my PS3 atm). I know the game is beyond dead and the Vita version is extra dead, but it couldn't hurt to ask, is there a patch somewhere that fixes the freezing when you beat story mode problem? Scharlawhatever was way harder than I remember her being in vanilla and when I landed that final hit on the final boss I was happy to be done with it...and then it froze. Not cool! Is there a fix? Some posts on gamefaqs made it sound like there was, but I won't be surprised if there isn't.

Also, why doesn't Six Stars have a home version, is Examu stupid or something? <_<

[edit] oh, you click on the yellow icon on the splash page to download the update. ok.

i cheated to beat scharl, set it to 1 round, and you won't have to deal with the 2nd round boss syndrome.

i'm guessing no1 wants to bother porting 6stars, because of lack of interests. examu's never published any of them, and just made arcade games. arcsys did the other ah3 games. marvelous did nitro+

it's sad, since i liked examu games best, but it is what it is.