Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tigre

[LM] Catherine Kyohbashi

AH3LM_Catherine_Header.png

Introduction

Welcome to the Cathy thread! Please discuss character strategy, combos, Arcana synergy, match-ups, and other relevant topics here. Please also feel free to post up any questions you may have about the character as well.

Catherine Wiki Page

Notable Players

Emujima

Hami

Robots and Kansai-ben are awesome.

Does the new bomb super have any uses? It's interesting how it doesn't have a timer like most bomb supers out there, but just hitting it with a drill isn't enough to activate it.

Since Chibigawa is limited now, what are the cases in which we don't want to use it (besides when there's none left, of course)?

To light the new bomb you gotta hit it with fire.  Cathy j.E, 5E, 623X series all accomplish this.    A few other things in the game like Zenia perfect Edin also light it up instantly.

Also Chibigawa explodes when near the Bomb now?

My main difficulty I feel with Cathy is landing solid hits. What are the best ways to approach and counter neutral from other characters (aka they fly around the screen doing things that beat spin)

At neutral, you can use Cathy's very high jump to hit opponents with j.B or j.A.
Defensively, if they're beating your spin, you need to use 2A more. Some characters with longer range are tough since 2A won't reach them. You can use 5B to start clash and then 2A or lariat appropriately, or perhaps try 5C since it has a long reach and is air unblockable. 

http://youtu.be/47WjQ_cBMI4

5B is an interesting idea, I hear about clash frames but that's something else I don't know how to apply to my advantage (unless it happens by coincidence, and event then) (also on j.C I believe as well)

If you clash vs airborne with Cathy's 5B, it's coinflipping time.

If you expect a cancel into a really fast move say an A/B move, lariet will work.
If you expect them to cancel into something that breaks Lariet Armor like a C or E, use 2A instead.

Shinso's played with me enough to know the deal. You should watch nadakaineko's clash tutorial. Clash is integral to Arcana, unlike Guilty Gear. Cathy can have a tough time with clashes due to her slower move set, but that makes it that more important to learn how to do it.

beep boop i'm here to answer questions

Do you think you could put up a video example of the combo you posted on homingcancel when you get the chance?

5A 2B EFC 2A(1 hit) jA jB 2A(1 hit) JA jC jB 5A 5B Eclipse.

I can't seem to connect the j.B after the j.C.

aw man just look at any video of emujima, hami, or me in love max and you're bound to see it. I don't think onkuu uses that route, and I know emujima prefers to use a 1C ender as opposed to 5B.

edit:
http://youtu.be/hzGBeUWthkY
just for you

Thank you for making that whole video, now I know what the combo I was trying to do looks like, definitely will be using both the optimal meterless and EFC ones.

Which Arcanas would you say works best with Cathy? I'm not too sure how to setup oki with her, I've just been using the generic wind Cathy.

It's like it says on the wiki, Wind, Love, or Ice. Wind gets pushblock to get her out of bad defensive situations, but meter gain and health suffer. Love is great meter gain, great health, solid arcana all around. Ice is lol offense 100% but you can never burst.

If you want to play around with other things, Onkuu uses Fenrir, but loses a lot. Halo is a good arcana for other characters and Cathy has cool Halo combos. Sin has some potential.

Cathy doesn't get what I'd call "real oki" often, the only hard knockdown she has is from tilt throw. after j.C you can cancel into an Arcana move like Wind 214E. Any time your opponent blocks a missile you can throw out an Arcana move. After you use an Arcana eclipse you can throw out Chibigawa or Tick-tock Boom Boom or a missile or whatever you'd like, really.

Watch some matches of Hami, since it's easier to tell what he's doing compared to Emujima. 

It's like it says on the wiki, Wind, Love, or Ice. Wind gets pushblock to get her out of bad defensive situations, but meter gain and health suffer. Love is great meter gain, great health, solid arcana all around. Ice is lol offense 100% but you can never burst.

If you want to play around with other things, Onkuu uses Fenrir, but loses a lot. Halo is a good arcana for other characters and Cathy has cool Halo combos. Sin has some potential.

Cathy doesn't get what I'd call "real oki" often, the only hard knockdown she has is from tilt throw. after j.C you can cancel into an Arcana move like Wind 214E. Any time your opponent blocks a missile you can throw out an Arcana move. After you use an Arcana eclipse you can throw out Chibigawa or Tick-tock Boom Boom or a missile or whatever you'd like, really.

Watch some matches of Hami, since it's easier to tell what he's doing compared to Emujima. 

Wind gives really good meter gen so idk what you're talking about and with how many HP buffs there were in LM the life loss doesn't matter in the slightest(especially for Cathy...). You also get a +7 or so projectile for pressure(236E) and the vortex(214E) for oki which is just amazing.

Relative to Love, Wind has much worse meter gain and HP. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just how it is.

Also Dots the Wind HP drop and gain should have more effect with more base HP, since its a % change

At least thats what the wiki says, not sure if thats actually 100% correct

Also good video Madworlder, finally people who make vids which contain both easy comboes for people just to jump into the game, and fairly hard ones

Also Dots the Wind HP drop and gain should have more effect with more base HP, since its a % change

At least thats what the wiki says, not sure if thats actually 100% correct

Also good video Madworlder, finally people who make vids which contain both easy comboes for people just to jump into the game, and fairly hard ones

The numbers before was -1920 and then you base it off what the opponent also has for their Arcana from what I remember.

try to clash with 5B if you're on the ground and mix it up. In the air, her j.A tends to beat out Cathy's j.B, so it becomes difficult. I'd recommend j.E. It's a tough matchup for sure, and probably the matchup I have the least experience with.