Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tigre

[LM] Fiona Mayfield

AH3LM_Fiona_Header.png

Introduction

Welcome to the Fiona thread! Please discuss character strategy, combos, Arcana synergy, match-ups, and other relevant topics here. Please also feel free to post up any questions you may have about the character as well.

Fiona Wiki Page

Notable Players

KFC

Banchou

VJsigsig

How to 'Gomennasai' and Why:

Some things I've noticed are

-- BnB combos still look the same

-- Try to end blockstrings and combos with 2C as there are more options available compared to 5C

-- Kaletov's Roof (623X) is now doable in air. Not an overhead and I can't see anyway to combo into it.

-- Still has a guard point on it when used in air.

-- Excalibur follow - GONE. After Excalibur (both aerial, grounded, even on counter hit), Fiona stays on the ground for too long to have a follow up like before (5C, Special, Arcana, oki, etc)

--5[C] is still overhead.

-- Pretty sure the Sacred series (236A > 236B > etc..) does less damage. Still not likely to use, but something to note.

-- However, CH 236A > 2B is a thing as the counter hit floats for longer duration

-- [Corner] 236A > 236B > [Enemy Wallbounce] > Excalibur no longer works as when Fiona is in the crouched position, she is stuck there until the either the Sacred jump is done -OR- Enemy hits the ground.

-- Actually, hitting just about any C move allows for some silly damage on counter hit

-- CH j.C > Excalibur (Air or Ground) [10K]

O==========================O

If internet starts working right, I'll be cruisin' netplay and streaming ('MaruchanNoodles")

random things i noticed so far.... i am not that good, but info is info!

5a 5b 5c efc 2b 236a 5a 5b ja jb jb jc heavens fall only combo i noticed so far that isnt already shown off the old wiki page

if i clash, ive been doing move> clash> 5a> jump - usually does me well.

if i get a 5e in the corner, just doing 421a has been catching wall tech. dunno if this is air unblockable but its been working reasonably.

super jump 5d-d j.b gets j.b it hit. as does regular jump 5d-d [1 2 or 3] j.b - you just need to be in the air a lil longer, so either way works.

still been getting good results off water arcana with her. dark has treated me well, as has love luck and sin. im sure theres other good ones, but out of what i have used those have been nice. ive seen wind in jp videos a lot, i just dont like it but ti seems super strong for her.

on the ground, i go-to poke with 5b. in the air i use j.b and j.e a lot.

i dunno, the char is fun, but it feels like its just a test of my neutral... as you can kinda do whatever and do reasonable damage.... just gotta get those starter hits.

-- Kaletov's Roof (623X) is now doable in air. Not an overhead and I can't see anyway to combo into it.

CH jB > homing cancel j.B > djc.B > dj.C > dj.623A > Air Excalibur

j.C |> j.A > j.B > j.C > j.623A > Air Excalibur

I've typically found that if I remove a jB from a combo, I can end with j.623A > Air Excalibur.

-- Pretty sure the Sacred series (236A > 236B > etc..) does less damage. Still not likely to use, but something to note.

Yea. It does about 900 less damage from what I can tell overall.

-- However, CH 236A > 2B is a thing as the counter hit floats for longer duration

That worked in Vanilla AH3 as well. It is way easier now though.

if i get a 5e in the corner, just doing 421a has been catching wall tech. dunno if this is air unblockable but its been working reasonably.

It's not. People either weren't blocking or you were crossing them up since it has a massive hitbox. On a similar note, it looks like 421C is now air blockable.

Working on a Trials Guide for Fiona. Any places with a [WIP] either means I haven't done it or gotten to it yet so feel free to contribute helpful info. May be common knowledge already but just trying to contribute where I can:

Trial 1:
 --Bronze: 15 Jump Attacks. Straightforward
 --Silver: Jump cancels. Straightforward
 --Gold: Defeat using ONLY normals. Still straightforward

Trial 2:
 --Bronze: Grounded combos. 2A > 2B. You'll have the required number.
 --Silver: EFC Combo x3. Nothing fancy. 2/5B 2C EFC 5B works. Rinse and repeat.
 --Gold: Jump in attack> Combo x3. Use Time Arcana. Thanks to umgogo

Trial 3:
 --Bronze: 7 hits.
 --Silver: 10 hits.
 --Gold: 13 hits. [WIP - Again, Time Arcana works wonders. Although, it's still a matter of finding the optimal 'combo' path to take. Normal attacks count, however I don't think Grand Divide > Misty Chain did. As of now, I did Time Blaze > 5A 2A 5B 2B 5C 2C and something else to get 8 out of the required 13 for Gold.]

Multi-hit moves seem to count as only "1" hit.

Trial 4:
 --Bronze: Hit while Homing. Straightforward.
 --Silver: Clash 20 times.  2B helps here.
 --Gold: EF Mode hits. No Extend Blast, no hits outside of EF. You'll probably end up against Lilica. Try not to get anxious.

Trial 5:
 --Bronze: 5-Hit Homing Cancel Combo. I honestly did this without realizing it. 5A 2B 2E HC > (whatever you want)
 --Silver: 10K damage. Enemy has Flower Arcana so no easy CH nonsense. Easy way out, use Sacred Bringer [10K] (You'll want to practice this anyway for Trial 9.)
 --Gold: 10K damage, no meter. STILL has Flower Arcana. Easy way out is STILL Sacred Bringer. Get to practicing!

Trial 6: "Win Quick"
 --Bronze: 30 secs
 --Silver: 20 secs
 --Gold: 10 secs. 5[C] 623C Excalibur works. You're Fiona. Stick with C moves.

Trial 7:
 --Bronze: Hit 3 Extend Blasts. ABC right on top of them
 --Silver: Win by Time Over. Straightforward. Ok, but odds are, you'll be against Magnet Kira with 3 Arcana gauges. As of right now, I'm sticking to 5B spacing. If Kira is grounded and it connects, 5B 236A 236B nothing else. Don't jump. If Kira is airborne 5B or if you're feeling lucky, 421X, but mind your spacing and respect her range. Try to drag this out as long as possible and avoid unnecessary damage while whittling down her health. I used Ice Fiona to help with keep away.
 --Gold: Perfect Win.

Trial 8:
 --Bronze: 3 Arcana Eclipses. Just do them. Doesn't have to hit.
 --Silver: Arcana Blaze Win.
 --Gold: Arcana attacks [WIP]

Trial 9: Sacred Set (Obviously, my favorite part of ALL these)
 --Bronze: Sacred Bringer. If it's against Nazuna, good luck finding that sweetspot.
 --Silver: Win with Critical Heart. Clean hit not required. You can whittle their health down and start going for Slayer. If their health is low enough, getting a bad hit will count as a Critical Heart.
 --Gold: Clean Hit Sacred Slayer.
(Awwwwww, no Punish? Booooooooo)

Trial 10:
 --Bronze: Beat Boss Scharl. Groooooooooss... Other than being in 'Round 2' mode in the first round, same old Scharl.
 --Silver: Beat Boss Angelia. Ewwwwwwwww.... Ange has Mildred out at all times. Stay mindful of Clock Towers, Meteors and Heavenly Smiting (arcana blaze) as they hurt like hell, and also keep an eye out for Ange's counters. She has her standard ring counter and then another one that hits you for a good chunk of health. Mildred has an attack where she'll kick in front of you, then behind you almost allowing for some sandwich nonsense. Ultimately, stick to being Fiona and she won't be too much of a threat.
 --Gold: Beat Para- FUCKDATSHIT [WIP]

Eh, I had started a topic on HC a little while ago but it's cool to post here since it's more active. Pasting:

Hi guys. I'm working on the wiki. How is everyone's Fiona coming along?

I was very discouraged at first with the j.B nerf, but I'm coming around to the new version. The air neutral is no doubt worse, but some of the other categories are better. Notable improvements:

j.E and especially j.C are stronger. j.C is pretty fast, hitbox is bigger, and nets all kinds of damage.
5C, it's fast. Combos to Gae Bulg from any range. Combos to 63214A closer. 5[C] is also fast. Like, I think fast enough to really try to hit people with, lol.
6B hitstun. Wow, EVEN MORE time to confirm into something. You can do 63214B as a combo.
Air Karetov Roof is a thing for new combos into air Excalibur or Arcana supers.

Not as notable improvements:

Grand Divide improved in every way, but...yeah.
5B more active, slower. Air to ground j.C into 5B works, and 623A combos after that for some reason. EF that for the damages.
Damage increase on 2B, but longer recovery.

So, it's not so bleak...maybe? Also, Wind is definitely good, but I'm trying to find some other good things.

It's cool. I'll be going back and forth between here and HC. Since Tigre (and many others) are fighting for this sub-forum slot, figured I'd try to get the ball rolling here as much as possible.

Yeah, it could really help us grow. Visibility, if nothing else.

I saw your post on HC, but I'll just reply here. About Grand Divide, the way the clean hits work seems exactly the same. The only actual improvement is in how 236A itself has been buffed...it's faster and reaches -really- far. You could use it after hitting someone pretty far away with air to ground j.E, for instance, where you otherwise wouldn't be able to get anything except Gae Bulg. Once, I was able to somehow kara or otherwise cancel Grand Divide to where only part of the pink effect came up on the ground and the rest didn't animate - no idea how I did that or if it could be useful.

Anyway, thanks for that trial info post. I was wondering about all that myself.

That does sound pretty good. I don't know crap about frames or counting them so I just go, "oh, this works! Let's commit this to memory and not question why!" Once I get the timing down, I'll start my Sacred rampage on netplay. I'm really feeling more confident about attempting Punish in Love Max compared to vanilla.

And I went ahead and made a Trials topic on HC.

How to 'Gomennasai' and Why:

Some things I've noticed are

-- BnB combos still look the same

-- Try to end blockstrings and combos with 2C as there are more options available compared to 5C

-- Excalibur follow - GONE. After Excalibur (both aerial, grounded, even on counter hit), Fiona stays on the ground for too long to have a follow up like before (5C, Special, Arcana, oki, etc)

I wanted to talk about these things.

-- B&Bs aren't necessarily the same. Just a few minutes ago, I realized we can 421C after 2C. The C version of this move doesn't launch them very far, allowing Excalibur or an Arcana super. I think that's really going to be the 1-bar route of choice, whether for HC or supers.

-- Mostly, yeah, but both of them have their merits. It really depends on the ranges. 2C is also in counterhit state if someone 4Ds it to punish. 5C is worse on block, but farther away, you would be using it since it can combo from all ranges into Gae Bulg. Better proration of course than 2C. For EFs and the like, though, definitely 2C. 5C at closer ranges combos into 63214A.

-- This has already been covered, but the move is definitely interesting. Depending on where in a combo it is, it can be combo'd into, even the B version in EF, and can be EFC'd in some situations as well.

-- It's definitely not gone. You can always get a free 5C after Excalibur CH, and it adds about 3k. Were another Excalibur possible, it'd probably do about that much damage anyway. Now, one thing that I swear I've been able to do but not replicate is 421C after Excalibur...and if that really works, you could super cancel that or homing after. Must either be incredibly situational or I'm remembering what happened wrong.

Anyone do Survival Score Attack yet? Out of all the "Boss" characters so far, the Bullshit Meter on this one is just... whew. I think Parace is still worse tho. Just hoping there isn't a reward for clearing it without using a continue. (That would suck)

Yeah, I got through that...that's the one with Boss Kamui, right? lol she's cheap, but pretty cool actually. Trying to fight her straight up is really hard, you might as well just do armored stuff/Excalibur and try to luck out. There's not really a safe way to deal with her in any sort of legit, non-gimmicky way hahaha...

However, yes, nothing is harder than Parace.

Getting hit with full screen slash super is just... Part of me is mad Kamui couldn't be half this awesome and the other half is too busy raging XD I streamed my run through altho forgot the sound and did eventually beat her after just Excalibur-ing whenever I could.

May need to try Kamui again after that. I'm such a masochist...

Some more little things I've noticed:
Standalone j.C combos into air C Karetov

I've definitely kara'd the startup of Grand Divide into Excalibur

B > C > super is now a thing since C recovers faster, this works at any range

2C > Excalibur, if you want to do that, gives you a much better knockdown now, opposed to vanilla AH3's "nice bad combo, now get punished guy"

EF'ing air Karetov is weird, but doable, only seem to get it with the A version? Kinda tight

5B hits way further up than it used to, yay

I'm doing j.C and Heaven's Fall a lot

You're just canceling the startup of something into something else for some sort of benefit. The easiest/most obvious one I can think of at the moment would be Ken in SF4 doing fwd MK to throw. With that, you basically drum the throw buttons immediately after inputting the normal.

In this case, I can't tell you what the timing or exact input would be (or even if there's any benefit), since I've only had it occur accidentally a couple of times. The opponent was not in Grand Divide range at the time, and it's hard to say if I gained the forward movement. This may very well have been possible in vanilla AH3 as well, no idea. At any rate, I wouldn't worry much about it for now, as I'm really thinking it's nothing important.

water arcana at least - 5b 5c efc 2b 2c 2e into air whatever works and does some pretty reasonable damage

otherwise any advice on when someone is running ambiguous left/right oki from right above your head? dont wanna rely on 421x or guess at the block..... is there a good solution? or not so much?

My first reflex thought is either to 5A or guess-jumpblock, although I believe I usually just try to stand block it... and pray I guessed right. It sucks because I was fighting an aggressive Weiss and barely gave me any time to breathe.

any advice for fiona vs schral? seems so rough and i just feel like im blocking a lot and hoping she fucks up. i play water, so i can just block and its not so bad but i dont get anything done. ~_~

About that earlier question...unless you have an Arcana reversal, yeah, you have to block in that situation. Depending on what they're doing, you may be able to use guard cancels. Don't forget that you can Arcana Blast now to knock them away. This can be blocked and punished, but if you have EF available, sometimes it's not a bad idea. Being in EF helps Fiona a lot as far as mobility.

I've fought a really good Scharl a lot in this game. Yeah, it's hard...arguably even harder than it used to be since your opportunities to try to meet her with j.B are even less than before. No chip from Water is nice, but in LM Scharl can open you up much easier with very fast high/low in those strings. Some arcanas to think about vs. her:

Wind: Go-to arcana for Fiona anyway, push block gets her away and you can space some with whirlwinds but not the regular projectile as she can easily reflect these. Eclipse to get her to block as well.
Flower: You can super during the strings to shift momentum. You may sometimes take a hit/trade, but will generally be in your favor to get out of the corner. No CHs. Fast burst recharge.
Sin: Balls super can be helpful to control some space, though again she can flick these back if you're not careful. Regular ball even more susceptible. Sin has the meter gain on block to have an arguable advantage over some arcanas (Flower has zero).
Earth: I have not tried this, but you can try your luck with guard points and pretty high meter gain on block. Stomp super could theoretically punish some of her options/her setting things up farther away.

Anyway, yeah, the most immediate advice I would give is to try other arcanas. You won't find so much help from your normals.

If Scharl is using the Plant Arcana as I'm expecting, doesn't Earth lose out to it? Although I can kinda see arcana super spamming maybe being helpful.

I mean, really. Plant Scharl is STILL a thing which is why Wind is more of a go to as a somewhat balancing out for that. I rarely see any other arcana on her. Yea, we still get to out-damage her... should we ever get the chance, but I only manage to do that by playing patient and picking spots. I wonder if Mirror can do anything about this.

Plant is all you've seen? I think Wind is the most prevalent overall, but 98% of my experience is actually from fighting against Tone Scharl. I did play beats once in tournament a while back, but yeah.

I wouldn't say she's limited to one/two arcanas, especially not now.

I'm gonna guess this is you, iora, but that super terrible white plant kamui you were fighting was me. I'm still learning her and am so terrible XD

haha yea that was me

1 bar matches mean nothing. just do gimmicks and have fun. ~_~

at least your kamui is better than my weebee

haha, I was too afraid to duel maids (I'm terrible at mirror matches, no matter what game) which is why I stuck with Kamui for so long. But watching you, I still have much to learn. I can't make Water work for me at all XDD