Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Fong Long

Dear God: why does Ky exist?

No seriously. Why? I'm just a simple roboky player. A simple one. I just focus on short tiny combos and gaining meter to activate det mode. And yet, I always fall to my friends ky kiske, doing a simple 2d into 236 d block string into either his 214k over head or 236k into either 236236p twice (if he had the meter). Obviously it's mixed up with his other moves but I for the life of me.can't get around it. If I try to escape via the air I get vapor thrusts up the butt. If I pony I just end up getting a special or vapor thrust. If I use my 2 pk taunt to stay down he spams projectiles. Also I suppose it's safe to say I never get any meter gain except of a random robo dash ....but those stopped working. What in the fridge can I do!?

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

Seems like your friends are typical new Ky player, who haven't realize how super risky did they play, and you have to make them realize it :D. Try block high 214K on reaction, and learn how to punish it as hard as you can, 214K is super unsafe on block ( -11 if i remember well ). If you can not block it on reaction ( which is very common when playing online ), try predict it, and punish it hard when you guess right. Of course you'll guess wrong alot, but the damage you take from 1 wrong 214K guess is nothing compare to how you'll punish him. That's the point - making him scare of doing shit. And once you get a knockdown, dont let him breath - learn the safe jump, the bazooka oki, and mix things up with your command grab. Ky's pressure is not complicate, once your have a sense how to defend with it, things will be much easier

I can block it for a while, like thirty timer seconds but I always end up overheating and letting him get a free combo or using up my tension with a dead angle and having to start all over.which leads to death. I swear if there was a way to save local replays id upload them to show yous.

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

get a camera and record your match, that's much easier to say

But what's your problem, you cannot stop his pressure, or you cannot get in to approach him, or you have problem in putting pressure on him ?
If the problem is about the heat, you should think more while playing, focus and make your neurons work :D
And is there any deep difference in the level of you and your friends, or you're both equal and the problems only came from the matchup

rob fong long:

don't jump against ky

really as a roboky player you shouldn't try to jump in on people at all

your air to ground normals are all pretty terrible and its especially bad against chars that have AA options like ky

also one thing you are going to learn as a roboky is that if you want to try and jump out of pressure, pretty much everyone can just jump after you and stop you from getting away, since roboky unfortunately has the worst jump in the game

also overheating should not happen from just blocking, so this sounds like you're doing some stuff before you're forced to start blocking

also instant blocking is probably the most important thing for roboky players

if you can instant block, you can gain meter

don't be afraid to just sit back and block for meter

also ky's pressure isn't something that lasts forever

since i don't know what your friend is specifically doing, i can't really give you pointers where to escape but there are some general things in this matchup that roboky can use

2k goes under stun edge.. even charged stun edge, you just have to time that one a little better

roboky's lvl 3 dp is the best dp in the game... even lvl 2 should be better than ky's

learn your spacing for far slash... its not the fastest move, but any time you trade that move with ky, it should end in your favor

if ky decides to back off to throw a charged stun edge or something, don't be afraid to just start running at them, after the minimum running frames you can either robodash on reaction to a stun edge or just command throw them if they stand there afraid of the robodash

yeah but don't go crazy with 2k in this matchup. ky can control space a lot better than roboky can, so if your friend starts adapting, it'll get to the point where you can hit him with 2k, but 2s will whiff and you will get punished for that (probably in the form of something like far slash stun edge or something)

like Flick said, it'd be easiest to give tips if you can give match footage, but i think it'd also be beneficial if you gave us a more detailed explanation on what you are doing as well (what you are doing in neutral, what combos you are going for, and generally what's going on when the match shifts into your opponent's favor and you are forced start blocking)

Ok! In general I simply use 6p, f5s or 6hs to stuff his usual attempt at starting a match with greed sever or stun dipper. I throw down a mat and he just runs in and 2p for atleast 6 hits before doing 2d. Then when i get up he simply repeats. If I'm lucky and block his 2d then he either does a reactive vapor tthrust which stuffs everything I do aside from blocking OR he does greed sever. If i block greed sever then either a 236236p special or his ride the lightning happens. Im usually able to block and throw him out of rtl But by this time in the match im at roughly 40% tension and about 20% hp. The only thing that seems to actually work on him are random grabs and wake up lv3 shoryukens. He essentially treats me the way one would get through survival mode, as hes gotten upwards of 720 just by 2p> 2d> charged stun edge, rinse and repeat or greed sever/ stun dipper if anything is blocked. I seemed to throw him off Using a random jam (cuz her moves have stupid priority it seems?) But when it comes to roboky, the only victories I can land are lucky lv 3 srk and activating det mode. Hes also gotten pretty much perfect at either killing me before i detonate, or playing keep away with projectiles and vapor thrusts until I detonate. I've managed to sneak a fb robofly at 1 second acrosss the screen into his face, But it seems My timing is constantly off as I *usually* just do a regular j5d and then go splat. I can also manage to throw off his rhythms with random slashbacks and dead angles, but even WHEN I throw him off my back hes right back in my face, usually when I have access to all of robokys level 0 moves. Normally in neutral I set down mats and play awkward keep away. I used to stuff people with robo dash but since I abused it come +r, no one falls for it now. Unless it classes with a silly move and goes through for some reason. Also whilst I block my heat meter eventually overheats and i eat a combo. Though this is normal blocking. I usually run out of tension...because...well...you know. Roboky. 

I've looked through stormlockes threads but I can't figure out what this safe jump thing is. And I can't manage to land a command grab at all because I either whiff due to distance or they jumped or crouched or launched a silly invul/ anti air. I also can't seem to lock anyone down at all with roboky. I usually just flounder around and land two or three hits here and there and win because my damage output/ heat/ tension just happened to be on my side during a random counter hit. The longest combo Ive ever done that didnt involve j5d, air missiles, or the punch spam is about....7 hits? 5k x2-> c.s->f.s-> either what ever level pony i have or lv 3 ground missile-> 5k-> either the pony I didnt use or ground missile i didnt use-> 2d mat. If I use another character I usually have even less luck, as he switches to spam mode and just keeps firing stuff point blank in my face. The reason I started maining roboky is because I realized he has so many meterless projectile eating or avoiding moves its not even funny. My slayer can get some wins in because of raw counterhit damage, and my jam gets a few wins because I just go wild and do things (usually stunning him or getting counterhits). My anji also gets a few wins because I can always sneak an anti air grab in when he goes for a botched vapor thrust. I simply have trouble both closing the gap and locking him down. 

Ok! In general I simply use 6p, f5s or 6hs to stuff his usual attempt at starting a match with greed sever or stun dipper. I throw down a mat and he just runs in and 2p for atleast 6 hits before doing 2d. Then when i get up he simply repeats. If I'm lucky and block his 2d then he either does a reactive vapor tthrust which stuffs everything I do aside from blocking OR he does greed sever. If i block greed sever then either a 236236p special or his ride the lightning happens. Im usually able to block and throw him out of rtl But by this time in the match im at roughly 40% tension and about 20% hp. The only thing that seems to actually work on him are random grabs and wake up lv3 shoryukens. He essentially treats me the way one would get through survival mode, as hes gotten upwards of 720 just by 2p> 2d> charged stun edge, rinse and repeat or greed sever/ stun dipper if anything is blocked. I seemed to throw him off Using a random jam (cuz her moves have stupid priority it seems?) But when it comes to roboky, the only victories I can land are lucky lv 3 srk and activating det mode. Hes also gotten pretty much perfect at either killing me before i detonate, or playing keep away with projectiles and vapor thrusts until I detonate. I've managed to sneak a fb robofly at 1 second acrosss the screen into his face, But it seems My timing is constantly off as I *usually* just do a regular j5d and then go splat. I can also manage to throw off his rhythms with random slashbacks and dead angles, but even WHEN I throw him off my back hes right back in my face, usually when I have access to all of robokys level 0 moves. Normally in neutral I set down mats and play awkward keep away. I used to stuff people with robo dash but since I abused it come +r, no one falls for it now. Unless it classes with a silly move and goes through for some reason. Also whilst I block my heat meter eventually overheats and i eat a combo. Though this is normal blocking. I usually run out of tension...because...well...you know. Roboky. 

It's so long, but from about 3-4 first line, i can assume that your friend plays a super risky style. Again, all the stuff your friend did were super punishable: "reactive vapor thrust", greed saver, RTL, if you can block at least 30-40% of the times he did these stuff, you'd probably won. If your problem is to lock him down, so you're likely to work more on poking. Get use to your 5P, jP, 6P,S.f - those are very good normals, and air throw - when you dominate him on the ground, he'll probably try to bring the fight in the air so you'll end up air throw him alot. don't be afraid to DP him to get out of pressure, but dont abuse it, your friends will get used to it and read you soon.

In combo, when you dont have meter, never end up a simple BnB WITHOUT a knockdown-mat, unless it kills or you cannot attempt a knockdown. practice 2K>2S>5HS FRC, it's super usefull on both punishing and hitconfirming(2K is a low).

If I'm lucky and block his 2d then he either does a reactive vapor tthrust which stuffs everything I do aside from blocking OR he does greed sever. If i block greed sever then either a 236236p special or his ride the lightning happens. Im usually able to block and throw him out of rtl 

Are you only playing online? If not, then this is not legit. He is scamming you unless he's doing FB Greed Sever, in which case yes you have to just block but it will be neutral after that.

Block the 2D and wait for him to commit suicide with greed sever, VT or whatever, and kill him with a high damage combo.

If you are playing online then get a better connection I guess.

I didn't know he had such a delay after the greed sever. I always just kept blocking and realized "oh shi-". I checked out the video! Gaku's gameplay reminds me of how I tend to play with robo, though I'm still trying to figure out how he builds tension so fast. I play with my friends at their house eh sama! I suppose I Ijust need more practice. Though I did get a few double kos with him hahaha! Thank You guyses for all the help!

I didn't know he had such a delay after the greed sever. I always just kept blocking and realized "oh shi-". I checked out the video! Gaku's gameplay reminds me of how I tend to play with robo, though I'm still trying to figure out how he builds tension so fast. I play with my friends at their house eh sama! I suppose I Ijust need more practice. Though I did get a few double kos with him hahaha! Thank You guyses for all the help!

The way he gains tension so fast is Instant Blocking - if you haven't known, you can see him flashing white when bocking something, that's IB. Dont just stand and keep blocking if you wanna win :D

If you are still having trouble try to stream or record some matches.

If you don't have streaming equipment just use a phone cam or something and record it on younow.com or something. We can be more helpful if we can see what is happening at the different points in the matches.