Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tigre

[UNIEL] Seth

So far the grind has been much harsher than I anticipated. The combo front isn't look too bad, but.. Man. I cannot for the life of me get in. Especially against characters like Merkava, I feel afraid to even push buttons since I'm not too sure what the safest options are for approach. Actually, vs Merkava just feels like an awful match-up period.

So far the grind has been much harsher than I anticipated. The combo front isn't look too bad, but.. Man. I cannot for the life of me get in. Especially against characters like Merkava, I feel afraid to even push buttons since I'm not too sure what the safest options are for approach. Actually, vs Merkava just feels like an awful match-up period.

Ain't that the truth... Even trying to throw out orbs feels risky at full screren. Merkava is just a dumb character.

I didn't think this character would require so much work. Getting in is hard, and his combos are much more difficult than I anticipated. D:

Especially for the main BNB, the link between j.236B > j.214A, and hitting the 22 after 214 lands. Is there specific timing to adjust to?

I didn't think this character would require so much work. Getting in is hard, and his combos are much more difficult than I anticipated. D:

Especially for the main BNB, the link between j.236B > j.214A, and hitting the 22 after 214 lands. Is there specific timing to adjust to?

What's the full combo?

Does anyone have a good use for his normals in neutral aside from his light attacks? Even though his dash is fast I find myself getting beat out a lot when trying to use moves like 5B, 2B, etc in footsies. Also, what are his best anti-airs?

So is Rion who play Seth is the same Rion who play Ky in Xrd ?

If so then i played against him many times without knowing that he is a top player from another game!

Does anyone have a good use for his normals in neutral aside from his light attacks? Even though his dash is fast I find myself getting beat out a lot when trying to use moves like 5B, 2B, etc in footsies. Also, what are his best anti-airs?

I can tell you from experience that Aaku's 5A beats Seth's 2A for some dumb reason... Anti air I usually try for is the launcher 3C... comes out a little slow though... if anyone has anything better do tell.

I can tell you from experience that Aaku's 5A beats Seth's 2A for some dumb reason... Anti air I usually try for is the launcher 3C... comes out a little slow though... if anyone has anything better do tell.

I didn't receive my copy yet, but I've noticed in A LOT of videos that Rion tends to use 5A as an AA. Seems like a bad tradeoff in terms of risk vs reward but if it's anything like BB, it could be reliable.

I've been using 5a more than 3c but i'm not sure which one I prefer.

Im having trouble doing this:

5B>2B>5C>214C>Hold C>6C>j.236B>214A>214B>Hold B and 4>2C(1)>623A>j.6C>j.236B

the 2C does not want to work for me >:C... do i have to do 22 in mid-air to get this to work?

Yes, you have to fast fall in that combo in order to get the 2C(1) to connect.

Edit: I've been having the most success using 5A as an anti-air or intercepting air-to-air with a j.B. I've been trying to experiment with 5B and 3C as anti airs as well. 3C is kinda slow, but yields the most reward on hit and chain shift makes it easier to anti air with. 5B has traded more often than not so I'm not sure if it's reliable in that regard. At this point I'm just experimenting with each normal to find places I can put them in outside of combos.

Fellow seth checking in, haven't played vs anyone yet, grinding bnbs, watching matches, i think i get the combo routes for the most part now. 

From my understanding, Seth's a mixup character like no other, as he seems to require heavily mixing up his neutral game in addition to being his main pressure game.

If you watch Japanese gameplay footage, Seth players manage to get in by straight up running only after making the opponent afraid to press buttons or when they knock down the opponent. It seems like you gotta confuse the other play by using specials/backward air assaults/jump downward dash (whatever the move is called) to bait attacks and whiff punish at first.

He seems to require heavy conditioning to go inside smoothly.

Anybody that has the game, correct me if I'm wrong?

So I've played tons of matches in my local scene and I'd like to share my opinions on matchup difficulty based on the character. It's not gonna be anything in depth, but should give you guys a general idea.

Hyde: Fairly even. Just bait Craver and wait for him to over extend himself. Blocking him is super straightforward. Watch out for low/throw pressure.

Carmine: Very hard. He has control over the screen at all times, meaning throwing out an orb is a big risk. His normals are the perfect range to beat yours and lead to great corner carry and big damage. Be ready to block a lot until you can CS. Use it to land a confirm, and make it count because you probably won't get another chance. Make sure you save meter for EX Vengeance, you'll need it.

Chaos: Fairly even: He has big space control tools, but if you space yourself correctly you can easily swat the lizard and get in or free. Just play carefully until the lizard is gone and you should be okay.

Yuzuriha: Slightly difficult. Staying at fullscreen and using j.B orb is a very safe option. You have to call out which way she will Battou and follow the shot in. Once you get in, she pretty much dies. She can still bully you at fullscreen, so you have to be patient. Using EX Vengeance to get in and punish Battou is also a decent option.

Merkava: Hard. His 2A is absurd and has a dumb invisible hitbox in front of it which will beat most of what you do. This is another match entirely dependent on you maintaining momentum off of one confirm, because he dominates in neutral. A plus however is that a lot of his normals are unsafe own whiff. Couple that with his huge hitbox, and he is fairly easy to mix up. His pressure and high/low is also easy to react to, so just don't press buttons until you see him reel back for an overhead. Keep meter stocked for reversals as well.

Akatsuki: Very easy. You can literally run circles around him. Just play a standard bait/punish game and you should be fine.

Vatista: Slightly difficult. It's a matter of staying on top of her and baiting her flash kick. Once you get in, it's fairly simple to stay on her, just watch out for her flash kicks as they do absurd damage. If you are being zoned out, play it patient and just dash > block until you are in.

Overall I'd say Carmine is the hardest I've faced so far. If anyone has any tips on how to fight him I would really appreciate it.

I've been playing this kid a lot. My observations so far:

- B is a pretty awful button aside from the occassional run up 2B
- 5C is actually a really good button in a lot of circumstances, but be prepared to block or do some stupid gimmicky shit if you 5cc and don't hit, 5c2c is a little safer I think
- Why does 3B exist other than to just fuck up your 2B?
- j214a/b are really good in neutral, oki, and scrambles, just don't overuse

- j236b is not always the answer in neutral
- Try to meet people air-to-air sometimes instead of always looking for an anti-air

- Invincibility on 623C is a godsend
- 236a/b only seem to exist for a few specific setups
- It's hard to challenge disrespect until you get good
- Can't try too hard to make a setup or idea work, change your approach or setup instead
- It's almost always better to stick to BnBs, other shit is just too hard for match until you've done tons of labwork

- Seems really important you learn how to use guard to play this character

Hardest MU imo is Gordeau with a special mention to Carmine, everything else feels winnable if you play well. Against those two I find movement to be better than pressing buttons. Best way to play the matchup is to use your movement to make a read that will either get you in or put you in a position to make a more favorable read. Guard and good defense against these guys is really important, just remember you get free GRD for good blocks.
Make them think you're going to j236b but use j214a/b/c and aerial backdash or quickfall to punish or try and make them whiff . It feels like I win more if I use my meter on j236c or 236c instead of 623c. 

I've only been playing locally, it might be really hard to play Seth in lag. I'll try out netplay today and see.

Orb super is really good, it can break combos if you get hit once it's out, and then get you one.

Okay so I just picked up the game and I'm trying to learn Seth but my question is what combos should I be practicing/focusing on the most right now? basically the essential combos that I will be using the most... I want to hurry up and get on to playing online, but I don't want to go in totally blind. 

Also is there any seth character videos out there dedicated to him?

Okay so I just picked up the game and I'm trying to learn Seth but my question is what combos should I be practicing/focusing on the most right now? basically the essential combos that I will be using the most... I want to hurry up and get on to playing online, but I don't want to go in totally blind. 

Also is there any seth character videos out there dedicated to him?

This video posted earlier in the thread is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-BZAv6xYc

The very first combo works on everyone but Eltnum off of pretty much any starter to my knowledge.

His orb combos are pretty tough man... it's going to take awhile before i even pull those off... period. lol