Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tigre

[UNIEL] Byakuya

v65aDXY.jpg

Introduction
Welcome to the Byakuya thread! Please discuss character strategy, combos, match-ups, and other relevant topics here. Please also feel free to post up any questions you may have about the character as well.

Byakuya Wiki Page

Notable Players
to be filled in

guess ima have to be the guy to say it, this dudes damage is insane he can net 3k easily, steal 1.8k + with an absurd corner cross up thats hard to react to so far (you'll need to react to super flash and pray to god the player doesnt space it off 5b/cfor self cross up shennanigans)\

mid screen from 5A into bs can go:

your basic bnb:

5/2A 5B 5C 236A->214A (you have to be fast, very fast) then

1-after 214A>A(for side switch if you want to) 2C>5C>236x3 then 236C or 623 A/B/C

or

2-66 2C 5C 236A 236B 236A/B for the knock down (236Cex for more damage) single direction corner push

3- 66 2C 5C [3C] j.B j.2c (tap) j.C land 623A/B (depends on how close you landed to them on the knock down) for floor web oki.

you can also 5/2A 5B 2C 5C (or 5C 2C to keep them lower to the ground) 236A 236A 214A (web catch) A B (downward stab, knockdown) which can lead to

land 236C ex or land 623 A/B for web oki or 6D>j.[2C] charge for an incredible untechable combo right after you land. 

6D>j.2C chagred is insane interms of free damage and range (if any hit lands its an untechable launcher until they hit the ground)

6D>j.2C/5C>236A 236A>236A for 1.9k specialk cancelable into 236Cex

6D.J.2C>5C>236A>214A>A>C>gimmick time

IW mid screen: 5A>5B>5C>236A>214A>A>2C>236Ax3>41236A 3.1 to 3.5k

in the corner he gets even worse:

5A 5B 5C 2C 236A>236A>214A>A>A>2C>(5C omit on smaller character or ones with weird hitboxes)>236Ax3>236C for 3.1k-3.6k

or you can omit the 236C ex and go for 623C corner web cross up into complete bs (mash your Cs) for 1.7-1.8k

Iw combo is basically an extention of your normal combo so far:

5A 5B 5C 236A>236A>214A>A>A>2C>236A>236A/B>>236A/B/C>41236D for 4058 to 4535 in veil off.

What would you guys describe his play style as? Zoning, traps, rush down, defensive... Maybe a combination?

I heard he has traps and that is about all I know about him. Traps are a large selling point but is trapping the foe an integral part of his neutral game, is what I would like to know.

his play style is closer towards passive rush down, his defense is garbage and his only real way out is ex 236C since it has I frames.

alot of his normals  minus a few have low to moderate range.

his Cs are pretty long but slow and very punishable. you basically wantt o dance around being in their face and keeping them within 5B range. his traps are very visible and can be stopped by getting hit or them hitting the trap. traps are more for lock down purposes than anything else aside from combo tools. even then sometimes its not the trap thats even needed in some senarios instead its the various follow ups for the traps input.

214A sets a trap>A/B/C launches him at various angles and distances> then A/B/C uses a specific attack A>falling hard knock down overhead, B direct downward overhead with hard knockdown but you stay air born, C is an insane corner push launch.

he lacks the crap ton of specials other character have and instead make up for it with cross ups (decent ones) oki you have to block or take an easy 2k + floor webs and easy to moderate combos that can do whatever you need them to.

side switching, corner pushing and straight up damage. its still day 1 but i can net 3k+ easily with a mid screen corner push into a really screwed up corner cross up or space it so you cross yourself up. 

6D + a b or  c are all legit overheads with various range and purposes.

his play style revolves around setting and controlling space with his long normals, using his "traps" to bait them into attack the traps, locking down players options on wake up and just being a douche. traps can also catch forward moving attacks and anyone hit with a floor trap will eat 2 to 3.9k.

his play style as a whole seems closer to a close to mid range moderate damage cross up douchebag...>_>...testament almost.

also JB is one of the dumbest normals i have ever seen. it hits in a 360 range and reaches pretty far, crossing up with this is slightly tricky but rewarding and safe.

testament is a great person to be compared to, possibly only second to rachel. i'm in!

he sounds good, probably on the higher end of the tier list once that gets figured out.

he'll probably be in the mid  to upper but nothing serious.

it seems like off corner or mid screen knock down (distance depending) keeping a web above or behind them (infront of them in the corner) and terrorizing them with your charged B+C (hits over head, crumples on hit and long enough to get in and get weird) keeping a web above there head basically lets you at 1/4th the 1/2 screen

: 214A>A>A into a high damaging overhead combo, it looks like 6D>jC but has hard knock down and lets go you right into 2C>[5C]>combo for 2 to 3k+ IW with standing.

speaking of his IW he can easily land in anywhere at anytime, its hilarious.

EDIT: i also forgot to mention his dashing 6B and dashing 6C are decent tools for messing with people.

66-6C  can net 1.3k off the 1st blow, its a 9 to 10 hit 3/4 screen punisher, and 66-6B is a low VERY low slide attack. it seems to low profile right under a ton of attack. 

I took pieces of psycofang2's combos and Urichinan's combos from his twitlonger from Evo and came up with these combos:

5A 5B 2C 5C jc j.B j.A j.C, 5C XX 236A XX 214A~A~B XX (whiff j.A), 2C XX Rekkas [2791 / 3331 with 236C at end]
Dash B XX 236A XX 214A~A~B XX (whiff j.A), 2C 5C jc j.B j.A j.C, 2C XX Rekkas [2874 / 3414 with 236C at end]

Assault into Charged j.2C, 5C jc j.B j.A j.C, 2C XX 236A XX 214A~A~B XX (whiff j.A), 2C XX Rekkas [2500 / 3040 with 236C at end]  <- (This last one is actually in the twitlonger from Urichinan but I'm listing it for the sake of completeness as another pattern these might follow)

One of these patterns should work for pretty much every starter, even max range Dash C (go straight into 214C~C~B).  The whiffed j.A is actually chained from the knockdown move of the trap jump special thing and has less landing recovery than not canceling the 214A~A~B into something.  I've tried these on Hyde, Nanase, and Waldstein so far and will test on someone small like Linne next.  Edit: They all work on Linne, too.

i was literally about to post those lol.

Its much harder to do on linne but delaying the jb so it hits her a little lower works wonders, but the rest you gotta plink quick.

for people who cant get the jc JB JA JC 5C part down theres a more simplistic version until you want to better yourself

5A 5B 2C 5B 236A 214A-A-B>JA whiff>2C>rekka for 200 less super will give 3.1.

half screen push combo is 5A 5B 2C 5C 236A>delay>214A>delay>A>A (you want the attack to hit when the web relaese them)land>2C > B rekka (dont use A it will miss) for 2.6k  if you tag them with 5A mid screen this will put them in the corner and youll be at distance enough to pop a A or B web.

the trick to this combo is to make them web hit them a little later than usual, meaning not immediately, then delaying the forward jump into A attack leads to getting good stuff done.

Edit 2:

in reference to other shadow ninjas  5A 5B 2C 5C jc j.B j.A j.C, 5C XX 236A XX 214A~A~B XX (whiff j.A), 2C XX Rekkas [2791 / 3331 with 236C at end] you can trade 5C for 2C for easier execution and 6 to 10 more damage. 

I was just noticing that about 2C adding extra damage, too.  It makes the 214A~A~B timing a little tighter, though, because the opponent will be closer to Byakuya.

I also found that 5A 5B 5C 3C jc j.B j.A j.C, 2C XX 236A XX 214A~A~B XX (whiff j.A), 2C XX Rekkas does 2845 or 3385 with 236C ender, but it's also a little trickier timing wise.

A couple basic Dash C Confirms using the combo ideas laid out  earlier in the thread.  Dash C can be canceled into a web anytime before the 9th hit and it will combo so both these routes work:

Midscreen carry:   Dash C (<9 hits) xx 214B, C, A, land 2C, Rekkas.  (~2650, goes to 3100 with 236C at the end)

Side Swap.  Dash C (<9 hits), xx 214B, B, B, wifft J.A, land, 2A, Rekkas (~2700, goes to 3000 with 236C at the end).

Cancelling into B web is pretty consistent if you are close to max range on the Dash C, you can adjust to A web if you are closer and both routes still work.  Not a bad start for a pretty long range punish.  I'm sure those of you with better innovation than I can probably optimize these much further.

A couple basic Dash C Confirms using the combo ideas laid out  earlier in the thread.  Dash C can be canceled into a web anytime before the 9th hit and it will combo so both these routes work:

Regarding Dash C:

Dash C (8 hits) XX 214B~C~A, 2C 5C jc j.B j.A j.C, 2C XX Rekkas [2982 / 3522 with 236C]

Dash C (8 hits) XX 214C~C~B XX (whiff j.A), 2C 5C jc j.B j.A j.C, 2C XX Rekkas [2904 / 3444 with 236C]

214B will whiff at max Dash C range, 214C will whiff at close range, so use discretion on which to go with based on the spacing.  The first combo can actually side switch, too, depending on spacing and timing of the A move out of the Trap Jump.  Also for the first combo, landing at a distance where the jump series will still connect after the 2C 5C pickup might be tough to make consistent, given the nature of the move.

Good shit.  Out of curiosity how were you getting the 2C to hit after 214CCB xx wiff J.A?  Everytime i went for it, it was either too late or just wiffed completely.

Good shit.  Out of curiosity how were you getting the 2C to hit after 214CCB xx wiff J.A?  Everytime i went for it, it was either too late or just wiffed completely.

Honestly I don't think I was doing anything special.  You might try varying the timing of the second and/or third presses.  Your cancel into j.A might be a bit too slow, as well.  It's tough to tell without seeing it.

The other thing I hadn't considered is that I only just tested those two on Nanase now since she came up in random select.  What character were you trying it on?  I don't think it would be a character specific thing since other similar combos have been shown to work on various body sizes, but who knows for sure?

If i recall right I had Yuzu for a training dummy when i was working on it.  I'll mess with it more this weekend, if nothing else the routes i posted are good ez-mode beginner combos that don't sacrifice a ton of damage for easier execution which i usually try to stick to when learning a brand new game.

If i recall right I had Yuzu for a training dummy when i was working on it.  I'll mess with it more this weekend, if nothing else the routes i posted are good ez-mode beginner combos that don't sacrifice a ton of damage for easier execution which i usually try to stick to when learning a brand new game.

I can confirm it works on Yuzu, plus Linne and Waldstein.  I do, however, totally understand sacrificing a small portion of damage in the name of consistency, especially since the game is new.    

Here's something people with better execution can help me with perhaps.  Saw this combo in a replay, but can't land it for the life of me.

2a 2b 2c 5c 214b~c~c 214c~c~b (whiff j.b) 2b(otg) rekka(a) [2663]

The ~c~c hits crossup and as close to the ground as possible.

The ~c~b is what I can't get to connect.  Off counter hit, the player used ~c~a, which is much, much easier to hit, but the OTG seems impossible w/o a counter hit.

^^^ I just tried that and you're right, 236A 214A works just as 236A~4A.  Neat.

Here's something people with better execution can help me with perhaps.  Saw this combo in a replay, but can't land it for the life of me.

2a 2b 2c 5c 214b~c~c 214c~c~b (whiff j.b) 2b(otg) rekka(a) [2663]

The ~c~c hits crossup and as close to the ground as possible.

The ~c~b is what I can't get to connect.  Off counter hit, the player used ~c~a, which is much, much easier to hit, but the OTG seems impossible w/o a counter hit.

I tried this on Hyde, and the timing is super tough, but it seemed a lot easier to do if you change the first trap jump string to 214B~A~C or even 214A~A~C if you're in range for it.  Edit: Now that I look at it closer, I'm not sure that the second button press changes much in the way of the travel arc Byakuya changes.  214B~A  looks the same as 214B~B to me now, so maybe that was just weird confirmation bias before.  In either case, the trick to it is making the following 214C hit as late as possible after the wallbounce so that Byakuya has time to travel there for the ~C~B portion, but I'm really not having much luck making it consistent.  The full thing works like this, though:

2A 2B 2C 5C XX 214B~A~C, 214C~C~B (whiff j.A), 2C XX Rekkas [2700 / 3208 with 236C]

Note: You have to cancel the last rekka before the final hit in this combo because the bar turns orange on the final slam down, unlike other combos posted previously.

Also, 2A 2B 2C 5C jc j.B j.A j.C, 2C XX 236A~4A~A~B (whiff j.A), 2C XX Rekkas is 2703 damage and way easier, but the previous combo works from further out than this one because sometimes you won't be in range for the j.B to hit.