Tigre

[UNIEL] News & Gameplay Discussion

Nah. You don't lose vorpal state right away after doing CS. Do a 5A in Vorpal and note the damage. Then, do CS>5A and you will notice it's exactly the same. So it's not that.

Edit: Nevermind. In training mode if you tweak the settings so that player 1 is always in Vorpal, it will keep vorpal state even after you used CS right away. My bad.

Edit: Actually, a small bar appear to show that the Vorpal state is still going for a while after you used CS. If you have the settings I mentionned before on, the bar doesn't show up meaning you will leave Vorpal state right away. Explains why the damage was different.

I love the focus on ground footsies in this game. It encourages people to not just jump in blindly. 

They have a pretty good system to punish people that just jump in and attack all day. Not sure how many people know this about this system, didn't see it in the wiki or on the forums. I guess I'll just share it here and hope some people find it useful.

If you shield (4D) an air attack, it forces your opponent with a landing recovery so you can punish them with a move fast enough. Also it doesn't allow them to cancel their air move. So if your opponent is jump attack happy just shield and punish for free. Regarding using shield in the air (J.4D) it decreases your blockstun by 6 frames, gives your GRD, increases your character's movement speed, and increases your opponent's recovery. This is pretty much a free punish in the air with any move.

They have a pretty good system to punish people that just jump in and attack all day. Not sure how many people know this about this system, didn't see it in the wiki or on the forums. I guess I'll just share it here and hope some people find it useful.

If you shield (6D) an air attack, it forces your opponent with a landing recovery so you can punish them with a move fast enough. Also it doesn't allow them to cancel their air move. So if your opponent is jump attack happy just shield and punish for free. Regarding using shield in the air (J.6D) it decreases your blockstun by 6 frames, gives your GRD, increases your character's movement speed, and increases your opponent's recovery. This is pretty much a free punish in the air with any move.

Correct, but it's 4D and j.4D, not 6D and j.6D. 6D and j.6D are Assaults, which are basically air dashes that allow you to apply pressure.

Correct, but it's 4D and j.4D, not 6D and j.6D. 6D and j.6D are Assaults, which are basically air dashes that allow you to apply pressure.

From what I know your're also wrong: they're 5D and jD, they're unirversal and Seth does air back assault with j.4D.

From what I know your're also wrong: they're 5D and jD, they're unirversal and Seth does air back assault with j.4D.

5D is Concentration, which fills the Grind Grid.

j.D I don't know about, I always just use j.66.

EDIT: No, I was correct. j.D does nothing. It's j.4D. Seth's Air Back Assault is either j.44 or j.A+B.

Oops! My bad, I was probably multitasking and didn't notice. Thanks for pointing that out. This why you should always proof read. >.<

No, its 4D and J.4D. 5D is used for Concentration and J.D does nothing to my knowledge. For Seth to do his air back dash, you can either do J.4A+B or just jump and input 66. J.4D does give Seth aerial shield, I just tested it out.

Got a chance to play the game at a game center today, and it's scary how little time it took me to get used to the game's mechanics and flow. It just feels baby-buttocks smooth. Or maybe it's just because I spent so much time reading and watching the guides.

Just a couple more days till my disc arrives...

I do like the pacing. Arcsys is true love, but to play a game where its ground-footsie based but still real fast is awesome.

The wakeup timings of this game is fascinating, same goes for the pressure of most characters. I've never played a game where I have to respect someone so much. I'm still getting use to the defensive mechanics so that might change.

Just wanted to point this out in case other people haven't noticed it yet: this game has plinking like Street Fighter 4. If you're not familiar with that, it's where you press a bigger strength button then a lesser strength button immediately after, like with kara cancel/drum timing. In SF4 & apparently UNIEL, the game registers that input as two presses of the bigger strength button. This is useful because it allows you to effectively get two inputs timed faster than you'd otherwise be able to, and that's useful because it makes combo timings easier. Check out the button inputs in training mode with the number of how many frames apart your presses are. If you're doing this right, you'll get something like B(1) then line above that AB(2). In other words B, then 1 frame later A & B, but because the game prioritizes B button commands over A button commands, you're effectively just getting two B presses 1 frame apart.

To plink B, do B~A. To plink C, do C~A (not C~B because that'll trigger your B+C move).

For example, I'm doing this Waldstein 2B 5B clap into jump B combo and the jump B timing is just a little tight, not too bad but I mess it up sometimes. Plink B~A to make that jump B timing even easier.

Just wanted to point this out in case other people haven't noticed it yet: this game has plinking like Street Fighter 4. If you're not familiar with that, it's where you press a bigger strength button then a lesser strength button immediately after, like with kara cancel/drum timing. In SF4 & apparently UNIEL, the game registers that input as two presses of the bigger strength button. This is useful because it allows you to effectively get two inputs timed faster than you'd otherwise be able to, and that's useful because it makes combo timings easier. Check out the button inputs in training mode with the number of how many frames apart your presses are. If you're doing this right, you'll get something like B(1) then line above that AB(2). In other words B, then 1 frame later A & B, but because the game prioritizes B button commands over A button commands, you're effectively just getting two B presses 1 frame apart.

To plink B, do B~A. To plink C, do C~A (not C~B because that'll trigger your B+C move).

For example, I'm doing this Waldstein 2B 5B clap into jump B combo and the jump B timing is just a little tight, not too bad but I mess it up sometimes. Plink B~A to make that jump B timing even easier.

Wow, to think plinking is in this game.  Thanks for the heads up Ultradavid!

Just wanted to point this out in case other people haven't noticed it yet: this game has plinking like Street Fighter 4.

Cool. I can already think of a couple of places where I can apply this!

This also raises the question: can we plink A inputs with A~select or A~back like in SF4, as well?

Cool. I can already think of a couple of places where I can apply this!

This also raises the question: can we plink A inputs with A~select or A~back like in SF4, as well?

No, good idea, but I just tried it and it doesn't work!

My order just shipped. Now to play the worst game of all time: the waiting game. 

Can't wait to delve into this game and play the fraudulent Merk I've wanted to since the arcade version came out. Although I admit I'm kinda curious to try out Yuzuriha a bit.

Yeah no real important info for me, just hype, lol. Need to play da Death Chicken

Ok really loving this game.  Only thing is:

1.  Seems like rounds are VERY one sided in the matches I watch online.  VERY rare to see epic comebacks.

2.  GRD system seems like a "win more" system.  I'm already beating the opponent to a pulp and doing all the right things and now my char gets stronger!  I think this leads to the first complaint.

Char diversity is unbelievable and its hard to pick a main since I really like so many of them!

GRD system is to me the opposite. If you shield (that probably no one uses) you steal so much GRD. You get more GRD if you play defensive and not backdash all the time then offense. Also CS and free Alpha Counter in Vorpal is extremely useful defensive options for all characters.

Obivously if you are on the offense and you double get Vorpal you are only going to beat the other guy harder. Tell them to shield :)

Its going to take a while for most people to take advantage of the defensive mechanics. Shielding can really held turn the tide of GRD, CS can be done on wakeup or during some blockstrings to give yourself some breathing room and you can always alpha counter during vorpal or with 100 meter if you really need it. Don't forget about veil-off too

Even without shielding you still gain GRD just by blocking, like a lot of GRD.

So... block?

How do you turn off the auto attack/stylish like mode?

You can't, it's like in P4U (except with no unique normals).

You can't, it's like in P4U (except with no unique normals).

Yeah it's the same with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle as well. I personally think that P4U has gotten "auto combos" correcly though but that's just me.

For people wondering (not sure if anyone really is) I'm pretty sure you can save 100 replays at a time like CP. To save replays just press start after a match and choose cancel for the first prompt and ok for the second. This is Ranked Match. In Player Match just choose ok and it'll save the replay. The first option for Ranked is asking if you want to upload the replay I'm pretty sure

Yeah it's the same with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle as well. I personally think that P4U has gotten "auto combos" correcly though but that's just me.

My take on it after playing the game is, why would you mash a single button to get a combo when you can mash whatever buttons you want and still get a combo?