Tigre

[UNIEL] News & Gameplay Discussion

while i'm sure eltnum is a popular character, she is hard to play at a senaru level. i guess you could call her "too fair" outside of her damage. most eltnum players can't do anything but gun shot or 2b. 

carmine has more straight forward oki, gordeau/merkava/linne/vatista have easier to play neutral and pressure.

-

so senaru has go1 and tatsuE backing him up, which is probably more than enough. as far as i know (i don't know a lot) senaru's more recent loses have been to notes carmine and maakun yuzuriha, but he's more than capable of beating them as well. and the other person who gave senaru trouble is tatsuE.

i wonder if i will be able to catch the tournament. it was fun watching the 4v4 that rei was at with a bunch of ppl at like 4 am in the morning.

Will the OTW tournament be streamed like the last one ? I remember it was on a ustream page or something, I'd like to watch it.

Also, the main tournament is on the 17th right ?

So how is this game's mechanics like? what are some unique mechanics?

Does it play much like melty blood, or most aksys fighters. where theres opportunities to do high damage with scaling, burst attacks, air dashes, etc?

3 or 4 button regular attack layout.

It's like Melty x KoF. GRD is the most unique mechanic, and it's kind of hard to explain in one sentence, but if you watch a matchvid, it's the "tug of war" game that grants the timestop and damage bonuses to the winner every cycle of the circle in the center of the gauge that looks like the EVO symbol.

4 button layout, with the fourth used for system mechanics (ala Melty).

It's like Melty x KoF. GRD is the most unique mechanic, and it's kind of hard to explain in one sentence, but if you watch a matchvid, it's the "tug of war" game that grants the timestop and damage bonuses to the winner every cycle of the circle in the center of the gauge that looks like the EVO symbol.

4 button layout, with the fourth used for system mechanics (ala Melty).

GRD is a bar that fills when you take some offensive actions such as dashing forward, assaulting, landing a hit or grab, etc. Some defensive actions as well; blocking correctly, shielding, teching a grab. As expected, GRD goes down for you when you take a hit, get grabbed, run away, etc.

Every 17 seconds, whoever has the most GRD gets the Vorpal state. During this, you have +10% base damage, but more importantly have access to chain shift: by pressing D twice, the screen will freeze for a moment, your character stop whatever they were doing and returns to neutral, and you gain meter depending on how much GRD you had. This is especially important as it serves as both a rapid cancel and lets you see what's going on, giving you plenty of time to react.

Most of the game's system mechanics are based around this, and the D button. Using it in neutral drains your tension (or super meter) in exchange for GRD. Pressing forward and D lets you use an assault, a short hop forward that serves as either a movement option or to use air moves as overheads. Holding back and D gives you a shield, which is essentially a much more powerful but commited block: If you shield a hit, you gain much more GRD, blockstun is reduced and pushback is increased. If you shield an air move, this even adds extra landing recovery to your opponent and forces them to land by preventing the blocked move from being canceled. However, if you block wrong with a shield (or get grabbed), not only will you take extra damage, but lose access to all GRD and D button related functions for a time.

With its strong and rewarding defensive mechanics, it's not a game where you can RTSD all day, and blocking right actually leads to progress. There's no Millia or Zato, there's no unblockables or 50/50's (Fine, extremely few), no chip deaths. Patience is key, and that's why I like it.

It also has near fullscreen normals and specials, spacing is a thing. People got long limbs in UNIEL, yo.

The producers said that they originaly inteded to make a full "punishgemu" (defined by SF2) instead of a "combogemu" (defined by marvel), but ended up with a midterm. It was what they come up to create something different from melty, but at the same time close enought to appeal to mb players. By their own words, this midterm is were snk stuff standed (older kofs, real bout fatal fury, last blade, etc). It's not SamshoV S, but it's a very controled environment compared to guilty/marvel.

-only 2 chars have double jump, 2 have airgrab, just 1 have air backdash.

-except projectyles and long range special moves, you can't normally airblock anything. Not even air normals.

-in 2.0 update they added a very harsh hitstun deterioration. The lenght of combos becomes very controled compared to melty.

-melty failsafes like crossup protection, fuzzy protection, unblockable protection, wakeup grab protection and not beeing able to die from chip damange have been ported directly. Even more things were added on top...jumping normals aren't overhead during the rising part of the jump, just the falling, what takes almost every instant overhead away from the game.

-in compensation, there's no universal dodges/rolls/parries. No combo breakers/bursts too. Alpha counters are too expensive to use withouth thinking.

-sf4 no-juggle states from air recovery are in the game. If you recover in the air, you cant go down attacking, but the opponent can't reset you in the air too.

Then there's what Icekin said. Vorpal/Grd mechanic gives momentum, but it have a defined end if you don't continue to read the opponent.

In Vorpal states you have acess to the best offensive and defensive options of the game. A "roman cancel" to prolong both combos and pressure and a "super flash" that let you confirm what is going on and then imput a reversal during it or choose to block. So the game turn into a race to enter vorpal all the time.

1st twist: when you use any of those habilitites, vorpal ends. Even if you don't use them, the vorpal ends in 13s (17 in the game timer).

2nd twist: both attacking and defending correctly is rewarded. Even if there's a pressure that hold the opponent in blockstun, if they continue to block correctly they will get vorpal before you. A correct guard shield have a reward in GRD as big as a fullcombo. So the momentum go to whoever get to read the opponent.

I've updated my tournament post and added the team (Time Upper, Gashi-san and Ohittou) who qualified from Sega World Narita qualifiers.

Also... THE FINALS ARE TOMORROW!

Last year, the qualifiers started at 2:30 PM (JP time) and they were 3 hours and 30 minutes long. Then they held a one hour break, and the actual tournament started at 7 PM.

Official site says that this year the entry deadline is 12:30 (JP time) which is two hours earlier than the last time. The last chance qualifiers most likely start pretty soon after that...

Stream hasn't been officially confirmed yet, but it's very likely it'll be streamed at the same place as the last two OTW tournaments were.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/under-night-in-birth

EDIT: Confirmed. They are streaming it here: http://www.twitch.tv/kagecchi

Last chance qualifiers have ended. The qualified teams are:

Chiba's Seven Heroes (Chiba Nanaeiyuu)
- Isago (HI | No.1) Necro-tan (HY | No.5) Tenpoo [Honki] (GO | No.6) 

and

Moving Like a Blossoming Lily (Aruku Sugata wa Yuri no Hana)
- Cross/SPEED (YU | No.15) Nedi (CA | No. 6) Keisuke (LI | No.12)

My earlier tournament post has been edited and final numbers of each character are there. Now they are having a break and the actual tournament starts at 6PM (JP time)

And it's over! Results are:

4. "Chiba Nana Eiyuu" (Isago [HI] Necro-tan [HY] Tenpoo [GO]
4. "Kagayaki no Mukougawa e!" Destrade [GO] CROW [ME] Suga [HY])
2. "Tottoko Hametaro" (Notes [CA] Tottoko [LI] Kanzaki [GO])
1. "Watanabe Transportation (Ltd.)" (Fusemaster [WA] Ma-kun [YU] Rion [HY])

That was a great tournament. Sad there wasn't much Row Felt like he wasn't playing at 100% but I could've been imagining it. That Grand Finals though, dayum. Be sure to rewatch the archive if you missed the stream UNIEL fans!

That was a great tournament. Sad there wasn't much Row Felt like he wasn't playing at 100% but I could've been imagining it. That Grand Finals though, dayum. Be sure to rewatch the archive if you missed the stream UNIEL fans!

I'm more sad that Nishine Family's victory wasn't on stream. Kome did well at first, but it was disappointing to see Nishine lose the way he did in his one streamed match.

I know there's really not much news and gameplay here in this UNIEL topic, but to be on topic here, 1. Aksys is yet doing another Poll (or Character Ranking, if you prefer), and its for this game here. Though its just for kicks like they did Xrd.

And 2. We got Cover! Same as always, but at least kinda nifty on the logo for Aksys 10th Aniv. anyways. Ugh, just 1 more month to go for the US release.

81CMfuRqIHL._SL1500_.jpg

I voted for Gordeau. ^__^

-is shot-

How could you not vote for Merkava? For shame.

Wasn't Melty Blood on PC? I don't see why UNIEL couldn't come to the PC eventually.

French Bread didn't care about Melty Blood after the last update of Acress Again Current Code, I don't think they'll publish UNIEL on PC.

Edited by heavymetalmixer

Wasn't Melty Blood on PC? I don't see why UNIEL couldn't come to the PC eventually.

Current Code is on PC, but it had a very limited run (it only came with the LE of an OVA series) and was likely only released on it to keep costs down. As for UNIEL, a PC release would only be beneficial to overseas markets, since the Japanese market for it is essentially dead for any decent-sized publisher, so FB wouldn't be likely to focus too much on it, as their primary focus is Japan. If a PC release does happen, it'll be because of a publisher with ties to foreign markets.