Tigre

[UNIEL] Under Night In-Birth Q&A Thread

I do plan on getting this game, but I'm in a bit of a bind.  I have a thing about not using evil characters, but my top two choices (Hilda and Byakuya) seem to be so.  I use Testament, Rachel, Yukiko, and Dorothy, so I really enjoy zoning with an emphasis on traps, oki, and setups.  Is there another choice I have or is this a case where I'd have to suck it up or not play the game at all?

I think Byakuya could fit your needs, he's a trap a setups character, unlike Chaos.

I do plan on getting this game, but I'm in a bit of a bind.  I have a thing about not using evil characters, but my top two choices (Hilda and Byakuya) seem to be so.  I use Testament, Rachel, Yukiko, and Dorothy, so I really enjoy zoning with an emphasis on traps, oki, and setups.  Is there another choice I have or is this a case where I'd have to suck it up or not play the game at all?

You could use Vatista, she's very heavy zoning. I don't know how good her oki or traps are but she's not evil, if that's what you're looking for.

Uhh....oh man it's been so many years since I played Act Cadenza I dont even remember. 

I play AACC regulary but I don't play her so I couldn't tell you anything unless you talk.

My question is:

How compressed are the tiers on this game?  I want to play Hilda, but how much separation is there between Hilda and Gordeau?

Some games being low tier doesn't mean anything and others there is a wide, wide gap.

I think it revolved around the broom and comboing into her plants.

Mmm, so decent footsies and doing setups after combos . . . that could lead you in UNIEL to Vatista and her orbs, Hilda (more like Nu-13) or Byakuya (he's a trap and setup character).

Guys, is there a character that plays somewhat similarly to Kohaku (Act Cadenza)? I didn't really see any but then again I haven't played the game so it's hard to tell from just videos.

You should give the newest character a try, Byakuya (sp?). Some of the sword users may fit your liking as well.

How compressed are the tiers on this game?  I want to play Hilda, but how much separation is there between Hilda and Gordeau?

Hilda does fine against characters like Gordeau since she has such strong neutral and zoning capabilities. Hilda is actually in the upper half of the cast from everything I have seen so far.  She can control space so well.

However she has a lot of problems when she gets hit. If you get hit as Hilda you pretty much have to rely on system mechanics to get out of pressure which is rather difficult against some characters. 

As far as tier compression goes aside from Chaos/Akatsuki all the tier lists I have seen have been really compressed.  It seems that outside of those two you shouldn't face any overwhelmingly bad matchups.

My question is:

Some games being low tier doesn't mean anything and others there is a wide, wide gap.

Usually, the gap within animegames among tiers isn't that big. Not as crazy as in capcom games at least. In my honest opinion, even tho not many people share this with me, tiers only really matter if you are a regular tournament player. Of course there will always be better and worse characters, but if you play this game online, then it doesn't really matter that much. Its not Street Fighter, where some Match-Ups are impossible, its all about if you are good enough with that certain character, you can still beat anyone else, no matter if Gordeau or Hyde.

Usually, the gap within animegames among tiers isn't that big. Not as crazy as in capcom games at least.

This is a really poor statement to make, "anime games" are not all made by a single developer, nor are they all balanced.

This is a really poor statement to make, "anime games" are not all made by a single developer, nor are they all balanced.

Dont take it to seriously. I didn't mean to generalize all "anime fighters" that exist, I just meant to give him a general idea. And generally, this is true. Play a low tier capcom character against a hightier character, and then do the same with BB/GG/P4A and your experience will be MUCH  better. Thats all I am saying. I never meant to imply that all characters and all games are even, of course thats far from the truth.

Play a low tier capcom character against a hightier character, and then do the same with BB/GG/P4A and your experience will be MUCH  better.

Hi, I played Makoto in BBCP.

Either way, to put this all behind us, it doesn't appear that the tiering in UNIEL looks too bad. I'm sure my opinion on that will change once I get my hands on the game though.

Hi, I played Makoto in BBCP.

I have to say you are right regarding BlazBlue, however Makoto has made Top 8 a couple of times. To my knowledge, no one ever reached Top 8 with Dee Jay in any SF4 version yet.

To get back to topic - has the time for the transfer state circle filling up been mentioned anywhere yet? I heard something with 20 seconds, but I am not sure anymore.

He's in a game where half screen normals are the norm. His mobility could be better given his range handicap, but that's just how he was in his own game (dash, double jump).

Once he gets in though he's alright.

A quote on Guard Thrust from the wiki:

If you're in Vorpal state, you can consume the condition to use Guard Thrust.

Which condition is that? Does it make you leave the Vorpal state?

Yea. If your in Vorpal state you can use Guard Trust at the cost of your Vorpal only. But if your not in Vorpal Guard Thrust costs 100 EXS and puts you into GRD Break

Man hush Tigre, all anime is anime and that's that.

Unless you're talking about Fist of the North Star.

That's a work of art.

Now now... Let's not turn this into the all-purpose weeaboo thread.

select "ヒルだ" in the bottom for her matchups http://sp.uniapm.info/diagram_view.php

What people are saying is true, she don't have a reversal for herself. But everyone can use "veil off" activation as a revesal or "guard thrust" to get out of a bad situation. The cost and proprieties of those are different from melty blood "heat" activation" and "bunkers"...so it would be good to search a little about them.

To get back to topic - has the time for the transfer state circle filling up been mentioned anywhere yet? I heard something with 20 seconds, but I am not sure anymore.

The beginner's workshop video mentions ~17 seconds.

If you get grid broken for blocking a move wrong, and most (all?) ground moves are air unblockable, does that mean if you attempt to do an air shield guard expecting your opponent to also jump and do an air normal, you are guaranteed to have your GRD broken on contact?

Dont take it to seriously. I didn't mean to generalize all "anime fighters" that exist, I just meant to give him a general idea. And generally, this is true. Play a low tier capcom character against a hightier character, and then do the same with BB/GG/P4A and your experience will be MUCH  better. Thats all I am saying. I never meant to imply that all characters and all games are even, of course thats far from the truth.

Not  to start a big debate, but in my experience this is less because of balance and more because SF is more popular, thus a greater density of knowledgeable players. If you reversed the roles and more people played, say, BB, you'd be feeling those bad matchups way more. SF just feels more rigid; "anime" games are good at making you feel like you can do something most of the time, even if you really can't.