Antiquarian

[P4AU] Tohru Adachi Gameplay Discussion

I know it's too early to make judgments at this point, but do you think he'll be able to contend with the better characters in the game?

It would be easier to say if we actually knew what Heat Riser and Magatsu Mandala buffs do to Adachi. From what we have seen, I'd say Adachi does the perfect job of being a fast attacker. His 5B, Sweep, AoA and Are You Scared? are fast, 5B potentially allowing as a small "Get out" attack, because of the jab he does. (Going to dub that as 5BB, 5BBB also possible.) Sweep allows for a fast get in attack, AoA adds up to his mix-up game and Are You Scared? can be REALLY useful, if it hits low.

You're annoying! SP Version does seem to look like it can be followed after a successful hit. It throws the opponent to the other side, which is really awesome when you are cornered, and you need to get out.

Megidola (His command grab) also looks fast as well, potentially adding an important tool to his mix-up game.

Only 2/3 of his Persona attacks are burstable. Instant Advantage right there.

Oh and there is the fact that he can inflict Fear at any given moment, making untechable grabs a scary tool.

Overall, he has the potential to be a strong mix-up character, and when he can set everything up, it's gonna be hell for the opponent. That is my inital though for Adachi.

For those who may be unaware, the official English website just updated with a section on Adachi, noting this his play-style was "Disruption," and that, "He messes with his opponent's mind using his tricky moves.  He can power himself up and cause his opponents various ailments to get an edge in the fight."  http://www.atlus.com/p4au/character/character20.html.  So it seems a lot of our earlier speculation is going to be correct.  Also, which of his Persona attacks are Burstable Djqubil?  I know it's not many, since that's one of his main strengths, but do we have any idea of the exact few that are an exception?

Also, which of his Persona attacks are Burstable Djqubil? I know it's not many, since that's one of his main strengths, but do we have any idea of the exact few that are an exception?

His j.C and 2D attacks are burstable. The others are either grab on hit, a super, or doesn't truly have a hitbox (Evil Smile is like Mitsuru's Marin Karin)

The only possible exception might be his 5D, however, since it's a long beam attack, even if you burst, you still might get hit.

For those who may be unaware, the official English website just updated with a section on Adachi, noting this his play-style was "Disruption," and that, "He messes with his opponent's mind using his tricky moves.  He can power himself up and cause his opponents various ailments to get an edge in the fight."  http://www.atlus.com/p4au/character/character20.html.  So it seems a lot of our earlier speculation is going to be correct.  Also, which of his Persona attacks are Burstable Djqubil?  I know it's not many, since that's one of his main strengths, but do we have any idea of the exact few that are an exception?

Dunno what speculation you're talking about, since that description sounds very close to the translated Japanese one.

Perhaps that was the wrong choice of words.  After Djqubil posted all of his findings in that Pastebin document, he and some of the rest of us thought that he could be pretty set-up heavy with the buffs supers and his ability to inflict Fear and Mute, once he hits Awakening, pretty easily, to the point of being able to overwhelm his opponents once he was fully set-up.  I took this as essentially verification of that line of thought, since, as you said, this matches up his original description pretty well.

Perhaps that was the wrong choice of words.  After Djqubil posted all of his findings in that Pastebin document, he and some of the rest of us thought that he could be pretty set-up heavy with the buffs supers and his ability to inflict Fear and Confusion, once he hits Awakening, pretty easily, to the point of being able to overwhelm his opponents once he was fully set-up.  I took this as essentially verification of that line of thought, since, as you said, this matches up his original description pretty well.

Small correction there.

I feel like his 5AAA will be really important if you want to extend your combos, because it has ground bounce. I'm thinking of 5AAA>5BB>5C>2B>j.2C could be a legit combo, and if we can combo after j.2C, then it's gonna be really good. most likely deal 2K. (More in the corner, hopefully)

does anybody know why some of his Persona attacks are unburst-able? is it something story related or is it because they have Command grab-ish properties? I hope it's the latter, those Magatsu-Izanagi stomps look cool

does anybody know why some of his Persona attacks are unburst-able? is it something story related or is it because they have Command grab-ish properties? I hope it's the latter, those Magatsu-Izanagi stomps look cool

There are several reasons,

1- His 5C, 2C and j.2C are all mini-grabs on hit.

2- Megidola is a command grab.

3- C Version Evil Smile doesn't have a hitbox like Mitsuru's Marin Karin.

4- Supers.

We are still not sure if Ziodyne (5D) can be escaped with a burst. It is certainly burstable though.

The only burst-able attacks confirmed are his j.C and 2D.

Out of 11 attacks, this is a really great number. The opponent must think carefully on where to burst and when to burst, since a wrong burst is most like going to be death for the opponent.

so it possible to say that Adachi is a Grappler-Hybrid? I'm liking how he's turning out so far, at first he seemed kinda meh but now he's looking so much more fun!

so it possible to say that Adachi is a Grappler-Hybrid? I'm liking how he's turning out so far, at first he seemed kinda meh but now he's looking so much more fun!

Wouldn't really say grappler, he has only Megidola as a command grab, which just adds up to his mix-up game, like Minazuki's command grab. I'm thinking on a good pressure game. Adachi has the tools to inflict pressure on the opponent easily.

This is still early speculation, since we don't know every full details about his moves yet, but this seems to be the case so far.

Also, 5D has the potential to be an Oki tool. Watch out guys!

Also, 5D has the potential to be an Oki tool. Watch out guys!

I see 5D being his primary oki button, if its anything like the j.D variant he can move right afterwards, meaning the opponent will have to guess where the mixup is coming from. If they guess wrong they might have to eat a combo that could lead into Fear setup

I see 5D being his primary oki button, if its anything like the j.D variant he can move right afterwards, meaning the opponent will have to guess where the mixup is coming from. If they guess wrong they might have to eat a combo that could lead into Fear setup

Based on his sprite animation, Adachi could move as soon as 5D is launched. It's gonna be a scary tool because of that, and it clears the screen, allowing you to get in. Of course, you have to do it at the right time, otherwise you'll lose a Persona Card.

Also, his grab is most likely the trip only. Based from the bar that is under the combo number, the opponent can wake up as soon as Adachi stops laughing. Shame, I wanted an extra kick at the end, but oh well. The laugh taunt is still worth alot.

I wonder if Adachi is meant to be a light grappler like Abel and Alex from street fighter? It's hard to say without a bit more info on his moves, like you're annoying! Megidola and magatsu mandala, but there seems to be a trend towards it as opposed to a straight up grappler like Kanji. Really like his buffing and debugging aspect though.

Making an Adachi Skype group for all your unrestrained, monitored venting/gushing/raging/TV throwing needs. Send me a line if you want in.

Djqubil, thanks for adding data for the adachi wiki, but there are some guidelines i'd like for everyone to follow.

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Help:Writing_Character_Pages

specifically

• Do not waste words describing what the attack looks like - that is what the image is for.
  • An exception is when the move is too visually complex for a small set of images to explain. In these cases, describe the visuals of the move so people understand what the move looks like.

could you please fix that? thank you. i'ts understandable that you missed it, it's not mentioned anywhere on the skeleton. i've also added a link to the guidelines to every character's page so this is avoided in the future.

Djqubil, thanks for adding data for the adachi wiki, but there are some guidelines i'd like for everyone to follow.

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Help:Writing_Character_Pages

specifically

could you please fix that? thank you. i'ts understandable that you missed it, it's not mentioned anywhere on the skeleton. i've also added a link to the guidelines to every character's page so this is avoided in the future.

I never really noticed that part when I read the help page. I guess that's a part of me reading the page too fast. Oops. :I

I'll edit it with what we know about the moves so far then. 

EDIT: Changed some of the long descriptions to small ones. Since we don't really know what each move can do, I can't really fill much about what it's purpose for Adachi. I guess this will have to do until release date. Hopefully, the Walnut Arcade Event today will have Adachi on the build so we discover the character more.

Also, I don't know how early it will be, but should there be other pages for Adachi? Most of us won't have him at release date, but since he will be available to those who got the first edition of the game, we will know information about him, unlike Marie and Margaret.

Also, I don't know how early it will be, but should there be other pages for Adachi? Most of us won't have him at release date, but since he will be available to those who got the first edition of the game, we will know information about him, unlike Marie and Margaret.

I have already consulted with @AnneIFrank about setting up the other threads (like video and combo threads) come release. They're just not up yet due to having zero information to put into them. They should be up and fully functional come release in about a week. Please be patient and look forward to them! :)

I have already consulted with @AnneIFrank about setting up the other threads (like video and combo threads) come release. They're just not up yet due to having zero information to put into them. They should be up and fully functional come release in about a week. Please be patient and look forward to them! :)

Ah, allright. I shall do my best to contribute to them!

It's also strange to me. The trailer showed that JYB will speak in his P4Anime voice, but the battle lines (except for MANGLE THEM, MAGATSU IZANAGI!) sounds just like the way how he speaks in the game. Am I the only one who noticed that?

And as gameplay goes, 2C is even better than I excpected! I was right on the slam part, but I didn't know that it was cancelable just before the slam. It's a great extender, since in the corner, you can follow up with 2D, which deals good damage. Oh and let's not forget that you can follow up from Heat Riser. That makes him the first character (?) that can follow up from his full auto combo, which is really nice. 

And why was this trailer more hype than the Japanese one? ...maybe they care alot for Adachi.

My guess is they're making the US trailers appeal to fighting game players. They're less story heavy than the JP ones and the combos look more legit. The Adachi combos in the trailer were the most we'll be seeing until release date, unless Atlus USA is gonna demo him on stream or something

But yeah, dat JYB. I guess battle sounds will be closer to the game while story mode is closer to the anime? That'd be some weird Voice Direction, then

Props to shtkn for the Adachi sprite! All we need now is a balladachi.

The combo at :30 looks so cool. 

Really love Magatsu-Izanagi's moves, especially Ghastly Wail and 5C.