Antiquarian

[P4AU] Tohru Adachi Gameplay Discussion

Edit: in the wiki page it says something about adachi having a stance or something? involving 22 C/D I think, would anyone mind please telling me what that is? because I don't remember seeing it in his trailer.

and is the 5B stance attack follow up not a 5BB? or am I missing something like I always do because I'm such a klutz lol.

tumblr_naz5ffb93n1sg5gdfo1_500.png

Adachi's movelist. As we can see, it looks like it's a cancel for You're Annoying! by pressing A/B after the attack. We also need the translation of the move to know the name.

Also, I said 5B is a stance because you can do 2 same jabs by pressing B. I'll edit the wiki about the stance.

We also need the translation of the move to know the name.

Something like this?

消えちまえッ! Disappear
大人しくしてな!  Stay right there!
ウザいんだよ! You're annoying!
ビビったぁ? You scared?
メギドラ Megidola
デビルスマイル Evil Smile
木っ端微塵切り Atom Smasher
ヒートライザ Heat Riser
亡者の嘆き Ghastly Wail
マガツマンダラ Magatsu Mandala

so "you scared?" could be a feint after using "you're annoying!"? judging from how it sounds that is, I'm liking all the names for his specials, I hope they stay that way in the localization.

Something like this?

消えちまえッ! Disappear
大人しくしてな!  Stay right there!
ウザいんだよ! You're annoying!
ビビったぁ? You scared?
メギドラ Megidola
デビルスマイル Evil Smile
木っ端微塵切り Atom Smasher
ヒートライザ Heat Riser
亡者の嘆き Ghastly Wail
マガツマンダラ Magatsu Mandala

Exactly like that! Thank you very much Sourgena!

so "you scared?" could be a feint after using "you're annoying!"? judging from how it sounds that is, I'm liking all the names for his specials, I hope they stay that way in the localization.

Well, it seems that "You're annoying!" is a follow up to the stance itself. You can still cancel into any move from the stance (except into a roll), so it is useful for mind games. 

"Is he going to attack me with a high, low or an overhead attack, or is he going to grab me? Maybe he expects me to tech his grab or counter the move , so he might hop cancel it. WHAT SHOULD I DO!?"

The more I hear, the more excited I get!  It's gonna be a LONG month.  Adachi seems like he'll be REALLY fun, and annoying to deal with as well.  Hopefully that stream gets archived or uploaded to Youtube, because I'd love to see him finally in capable hands.  I saw the demo from yesterday, but how he is he looking on the mobility front?  The stubby normals worry me a bit, but Azrael seems to manage that problem just fine in BBCP, so maybe he'll be alright?  As a Liz player, it's nice to see another that enjoys Ailments so much.  Thanks for the colors as well Chickzama.  Which number is the GG color again?  Can't seem to find it.

Just to note what I gathered at the stream:

-Buffs will stay for a round, even if you get hit.

-5D is REALLY good. Like, REALLY good. You can move instantly the moment it's unleashed.

-j.2D is also used for interupptions.

-There are combos that you can get double buffs. Mostly is corner, but the potential is there.

-Health is 9500 (Thanks Chickzama and LordSpectreX!)

-Damage potential is low, but there will be many moment where you can attack.

-Atom Smasher's start-up has invincibility frames, and seems to be advantaged on block.

-Heat Riser is Fatal Recovery.

-2C inflicts Silence with the Magatsu Mandala buff.

I'm relieved to hear he keeps the buff despite being hit. Characters with fundamentally flawed kits don't usually do too well. 9500 hp makes me very happy as well. I figured his damage potential wouldn't be too great, especially without his mandala buff. Since he doesn't struggle to get in, that gives him a lot of potential he lost with his buffs not carrying between rounds. I'm only concerned that 5D the god will get nerfed in some later balance patch, but that's not a pressing fear at the moment. 

If I had to be baseless and take a educated guess at it, I'd say Adachi could fall somewhere within high B/low A tier, given his kit as we know it thus far. Of course, we will have to wait a few months to see how he really plays in practice. 

I'd play the guy even if he was C tier, I'd probably just have salty tears in my eyes of what could have been. 

Just to add to the stuff I have saw.

-Guard Cancel has the same animation as 5AA

-Atom Smasher can be done mid-air

Just to add to the stuff I have saw.

-Guard Cancel has the same animation as 5AA

-Atom Smasher can be done mid-air

Do you know if his instant kill is a ground based grab? If so, wouldn't that mean you could potentially inflict paralysis on the opponent and go in for a free instant kill?

Do you know if his instant kill is a ground based grab? If so, wouldn't that mean you could potentially inflict paralysis on the opponent and go in for a free instant kill?

Yes, his instant kill is a normal hit on the ground. It is not a grab, as I was mistaken on that part, and while fast compared to the other instant kills, it might not be full screen. Also, you can hop when you are in shock, so the opponent can still block/hop from the attack.

Yes, his instant kill is a normal hit on the ground. It is not a grab, as I was mistaken on that part, and while fast compared to the other instant kills, it might not be full screen. Also, you can hop when you are in shock, so the opponent can still block/hop from the attack.

Ah yes, the faithful hop mechanic. Shame it isn't a unblockable though, it would have at least made for netplay Kanji levels of fun. 

So his status effect gameplay all hinges on an awakening super?

I feel like if you're getting put in awakening then the opponent will be pretty close  to death too, especially with the super you just landed on them (Which if it wasn't used as a DP, was probably in a pretty damaging combo itself)

So maybe Mandala is some kinda comeback move for those times you're close to getting perfected.

Is it true that there will be no shadow Adachi? Because if there was, being able to use awakening supers from the onset would make him more than scary enough despite the damage nerf. I could see some pretty vicious Shadow Rave combos too. 

seems like ch j.C has different properties depending on if the opponent's in the air or not. If the opponent's in the air than ch j.C sends them sliding on the ground, whereas if they're on the ground when j.C hits they're just in hitstun longer

Also, dibs on the Kyoji Kuzunoha palette (15)

Is it true that there will be no shadow Adachi? Because if there was, being able to use awakening supers from the onset would make him more than scary enough despite the damage nerf. I could see some pretty vicious Shadow Rave combos too.

I believe so. It's sad, because prior to the revelation about what the buffs actually did, I really didn't care too much about Adachi. I got excited for a moment when I saw what Mandala did, and then remembered it's not really going to be a core strategy since it's an awakening super, and Adachi cannot enter awakening manually.

Man, within the streams I watched, Heat Riser is underused. Sure, it costs 50 Meter, but the rewards are better than people think. 10% attack increase is important if you want to deal a good amount of damage, and it stays an entire round. 

Plus, we don't know if you can combo from 5AAA, which is really likely, soooo yeah. We'll see as the day goes on. 

EDIT: 

-Evil Smile WHIFFS on crouched opponents.

-5AAA is only special cancelable.

tumblr_nai1mhjDye1t96soyo1_500.gif

Man, within the streams I watched, Heat Riser is underused. Sure, it costs 50 Meter, but the rewards are better than people think. 10% attack increase is important if you want to deal a good amount of damage, and it stays an entire round. 

Plus, we don't know if you can combo from 5AAA, which is really likely, soooo yeah. We'll see as the day goes on. 

EDIT: 

-Evil Smile WHIFFS on crouched opponents.

-5AAA is only special cancelable.

tumblr_nai1mhjDye1t96soyo1_500.gif

Since you seem to have watched a ton of footage, where would you say Adachi stands against the cast currently?

No one has used this character to even 20% of his potential I'm sure. Relax, he ain't going nowhere.

I see j.C has a good hitbox, even crosses up. I wonder which normals a jcable on block to take advantage of IAD j.C. Works well on turnaround too from what I saw.

No one has used this character to even 20% of his potential I'm sure. Relax, he ain't going nowhere.I see j.C has a good hitbox, even crosses up. I wonder which normals a jcable on block to take advantage of IAD j.C. Works well on turnaround too from what I saw.

I'm not really tense or in a hurry, so there is no need for me to "relax". Nor do I think Adachi is going to vanish off the disk. I was just killing time before he dropped.

If we are calling colors I just wanted to say I got dibs on the 1-22-1 character/persona/glasses combo.

So adachi can cause silence too? in the challenge 25 solution video in the video thread, you can see him inflicting silence.

He can inflict silence with 2C or j2C if he has the Mandala buff, yes. You can inflict nearly all of his status ailiments in a single combo. It's crazy enough. :3

oh wow, so that makes fear, panic, poison, paralysis, rage and silence, not a single ailment to scoff at, as someone who mained Lizzie, I'm really liking how he's turning out.

seriously, this game needed adachi.

Is there even a reason to play Liz anymore...?

Character love or not, when something that is in every way better than the prototype, the prototype becomes obsolete.

So, so sad. Liz could have had all of this. Instead all she got was a slap. A flipping slap.

Character love or not, when something that is in every way better than the prototype, the prototype becomes obsolete.

So, so sad. Liz could have had all of this. Instead all she got was a slap. A flipping slap.

What Adachi lacks is fast good ranged attack. He can't always inflict status effects all at one until he goes Awakening, which he can't do manually. And while Adachi has more health than Elizabeth, he lacks damaging combos (This might be day 1 effect, but from the looks of it, it is like that). Hell, his Challange #25 only tells him to do 6K damage and even that wastes 100 SP to do it. 

He has better advantage than Elizabeth, but I wouldn't throw her out because of him. It's your choice to main the said character if you don't like Elizabeth anymore, but do not give the reason as "Because Adachi is Elizabeth, but better."

Practical death combos.

And 2A to 4K.

Am I the only who thinks adachi will be terrifying once he reaches awakening? he already seems intimidating without awakening but with the mandala buffs, he could potentially turn the match in his favor and turn a losing situtation into a winning one.

I'm just salty about Liz still being shitty. You guys have good points though. He will need some time to develop, anyway. The whole needing awakening thing seems kinda lame, but fair.