Antiquarian

[P4AU] Tohru Adachi Gameplay Discussion

Am I the only who thinks adachi will be terrifying once he reaches awakening? he already seems intimidating without awakening but with the mandala buffs, he could potentially turn the match in his favor and turn a losing situtation into a winning one.

If I have to say, in order for Adachi to turn the match, he needs the Heat Riser buff before entering Awakening in order to save meter for Magatsu Mandala. That 10% buff is important to deal more damage and try to kill them before they go awakening as well.

If only I had him to test his tools alot better and write my personal feelings on each attack...

I'm just salty about Liz still being shitty. You guys have good points though. He will need some time to develop, anyway. The whole needing awakening thing seems kinda lame, but fair.

I definitely feel you on this, especially since I still want to play to her.

But we must persevere.

Well if it requires Awakening in order to really dish out the ailments, then perhaps using a super damaging combo that kills him or causes him to be near-death is all that's needed to take away all the intimidation. After all, like stated earlier, he can't manually stimulate his Awakening nor can he heal himself. So attempting to end the round as fast as possible is what the opponent needs. 

Edit: Like basically getting him low, but watching to make sure he's not in Awakening yet is what we need to watch out for. (I guess?)

I guess Adachi doesn't do well if he's not the one leading and controlling the match's flow. (Hey kinda like his character now that I think about it. : P)

Now that I think about it... what kind of defensive options does Adachi himself have when he's under assault?

I'm assuming not many since he seems to be more oriented as a offensive-pressure-straining character overall.

Some quick random "huh whadda you know" stuff.

214214B Magatsu Mandala returns Izanagi to you when he does it. The A version does in in Izanagi's current position.

214214C Command Grab is 0F after Super Flash. If they're not jumping or doing something BEFORE the superflash, it will hit.

214214C/D is a large command grab that is done FROM Izanagi position.

As reversals they're all kinda dodgy. Only 236236C/D and 214214C/D have invincibility from Frame 1, and 236236C/D doesn't even have it for the entire duration. Stick to R Action or 214214C/D (which is very high reward and does beat block baits,so is worth it).

You can stance cancel any of Adachi's regular normals into Command Throw (214C/D) for a quicker safer tick throw. An example would be 5AA>236A>214D. It's a lot faster than just doing a regular 5AA>214D tick throw. 

214A is slightly minus, it's not Eltnum. Be careful. 

You can roll after 5C and then do 236B>236B in order to do the flip over stance while still staying on the starting side.

Shadow Adachi for round 2 start Magatsu Mandala > Heat Riser?

Adachi doesn't have a Shadow Type. It would be AMAZING if he did have it, since he could use Magatsu Mandala at the start of the round to start the crazy action, and Heat Riser would negate half of the damage nerf Shadow Characters have, but to balance out stuff (and story purposes I guess), they didn't do it.

So based on what the wiki mentions, his furious action is an overhead then a low, that sounds interesting, I just hope we can use it for some 50/50 mix ups like rachel had in BB, like he would start pressure then use either his FA or a low.

what weakness does adachi have? I know it's still early but from the few players I fought who used him, his damage seems iffy, who knows he might turn out to have kanji-like damage lol

So based on what the wiki mentions, his furious action is an overhead then a low, that sounds interesting, I just hope we can use it for some 50/50 mix ups like rachel had in BB, like he would start pressure then use either his FA or a low.

what weakness does adachi have? I know it's still early but from the few players I fought who used him, his damage seems iffy, who knows he might turn out to have kanji-like damage lol

His fear and corner combos hit hard so far. The DP is reactable, but you might actually catch them baiting your DP by waiting and blocking since it does hit overhead, and crouch block is the go-to block as we know. I would say a "weakness" with him so far is that he lacks the standard 2a low, since his hits mid.

His 2A is a mid? at least he still has a sweep for a low, and the DP bait sounds great, atlus was right when they said he was tricky lol

His 2A is a mid? at least he still has a sweep for a low, and the DP bait sounds great, atlus was right when they said he was tricky lol

He has the sweep, DP 2nd hit, gunshot special and 5aaa as lows. I'm thinking it's mostly gonna be pestering them to block and then going for a command grab or inflicting fear and going for big damage (fatal throw combos hopefully?). But, it's hard to say yet since Adachi is still being figured out.

Here are Adachi's colors 25 and 26, in case anyone hasn't seen them yet:

1e3dc61418b87f680c928df6543923bb.png

37dd74baa40f9851575fd6a86c0d2eaa.png

Kind of in love with that 25 color, I could have a sweet golden gun. Shame they probably won't make it to America.  :vbang:

How did some people get adachi before his official release? Am I missing something, he's still available?

How did some people get adachi before his official release? Am I missing something, he's still available?

As far as I understand it, Adachi only came with pre-ordered physical copies this week, available for everyone next week though

So just a note incase the Wiki wasn't updated, I noticed Adachi's buffs can be removed for the round if he gets Persona broken. Be careful...

So I've been watching a couple of Adachi's videos and I'd like to know why most of his "small" combos end with the gunshot

Is it to make the opponent tech earlier? It didn't make much sense to me because it seemed to did so little damage so I'd appreciate it if someone could explain it to me.

Literally dying to play as him although he seems to lack good damage without the Mandala buff? I guess we'll see when people start discovering him

So I've been watching a couple of Adachi's videos and I'd like to know why most of his "small" combos end with the gunshot

Is it to make the opponent tech earlier? It didn't make much sense to me because it seemed to did so little damage so I'd appreciate it if someone could explain it to me.

Literally dying to play as him although he seems to lack good damage without the Mandala buff? I guess we'll see when people start discovering him

From my experience, it's pretty safe. The only other ender is 236A / B (if you're the one being cornered) but that's if you get the confirm.

Adachi's normals aren't that safe when they're blocking, so you kinda gotta depend on good reads to get you fairly far. 214A > backdash seems to be working for me so far as the start of a stagger, since if they try to roll out you can throw, if they try and jump out you can call 2C.

I'm probably playing him wrong, though, so take my word with a grain of sand.

I'll do, thank you very much for your opinion. I'd also like to ask the people who got to play as him how his 5D feels, since I haven't really seen it very used and it looked like a core mechanic of his gameplay. 

Like, how fast can you dash to people once Maggie is doing it? Is it only really useful to do corner carry stuff or does it have more uses?

Ah, one last thing. Have you used Megidola a lot? I used to play Kanji on P4A and I'd like to know how Megidola is compared to Kanji's grab.

I'll do, thank you very much for your opinion. I'd also like to ask the people who got to play as him how his 5D feels, since I haven't really seen it very used and it looked like a core mechanic of his gameplay. 

Like, how fast can you dash to people once Maggie is doing it? Is it only really useful to do corner carry stuff or does it have more uses?

Ah, one last thing. Have you used Megidola a lot? I used to play Kanji on P4A and I'd like to know how Megidola is compared to Kanji's grab.

I actually find myself using Megidola far more than 5D. 5D is really good when you have enough space to pull it out, but at this moment people just go balls to the wall and try and break Magatsu the moment they see it happening. It works often enough that it's a pain. Still, 5D is really, really good, especially if it hits then it's a free corner carry.

You don't need to space, jump, or crouch for Megidola for it to hit - it just lands on top of them. If they block it, you're out of a Persona card, though. I haven't had a Kanji try and use the grab's armour to get out of Megidola, so I can't say.

To the rest of the Adachi players, is there an easier way to land the 5B after 2B > 5C? I'm having trouble linking it a lot of the times, mainly since it feels like you have to hit it on the last bit of hitstun of the 5C, so I'm wondering if you can micro dash and pull it off something like that.

To the rest of the Adachi players, is there an easier way to land the 5B after 2B > 5C? I'm having trouble linking it a lot of the times, mainly since it feels like you have to hit it on the last bit of hitstun of the 5C, so I'm wondering if you can micro dash and pull it off something like that.

I don't have Adachi to test it out, but you could try using his stance move to cancel into 5B after 5C, it could be worth a shot.

Also, I feel like that Megidola has some invincibility frames. Can anyone test this out for me?

I actually find myself using Megidola far more than 5D. 5D is really good when you have enough space to pull it out, but at this moment people just go balls to the wall and try and break Magatsu the moment they see it happening. It works often enough that it's a pain. Still, 5D is really, really good, especially if it hits then it's a free corner carry.

You don't need to space, jump, or crouch for Megidola for it to hit - it just lands on top of them. If they block it, you're out of a Persona card, though. I haven't had a Kanji try and use the grab's armour to get out of Megidola, so I can't say.

Do you mean 2D instead of Megidola? Megidola is his command grab but it sounds like you're describing 2D/j.2D?

Seems like he messed up the command grab with Adachi's cross slash.

By Megidola I meant the move where he grabs them, circles his gun around his head and then Maggie stabs them. Should have been precise, sorry.

I hope we get to know soon the differences between B and A stance, seems to be key on his combos.

Do you mean 2D instead of Megidola? Megidola is his command grab but it sounds like you're describing 2D/j.2D?

Whoops, Red's correct, I messed up the terms. Sorry.

Regarding Megidola, I do use that quite a bit. I haven't had someone try and DP out of it yet, though, so don't know if it's as good as Kanji's.

you cant stance cancel into 5A/5B it goes into follow up from these buttons.

I haven't had much success with 5D outside of throw > OMC > 5D > 2A combos or full screen 5D and watching someone roll into it twice

gunshot isnt safe on block as someone said but EX feels safe? on hit you get -so- much time for follow ups

you can cancel out of stance into everything but sweep and 5A/5B

stance > 214D is pretty nice and hits from farther than you think

command grab D and SB are throw invul? D takes a bit more to start up but its decently fast and EX ver is as fast as C and has D's throw invul I believe

can also super cancel it

5C/2C/j2C can be cancelled into 5D/2D/jD on hit before grabs

also buffs dont carry over to next round

it's still week 1 and i havent seen a lot of jp videos of him outside of damosu v shikki so im sure better info will come

if you want me to test anything let me know, he's fun but awkward