Antiquarian

[P4AU] Tohru Adachi Gameplay Discussion

All that info is on the wiki, but, if you don't want to go looking:

• Poison: 5C, j.C, Atom Smasher
  • Shock: 5D, 2D, j.2D Megidola
  • Rage: Heat Riser
  • Panic: Magatsu Mandala
  • Silence: 2C, j.2C

And for what it's worth, Evil Smile (236C/D) inflicts fear.

And for what it's worth, Evil Smile (236C/D) inflicts fear.

Ghastly Whail (214214C/D) also inflicts Fear, and does more damage in Mandala or if they already have Fear.

Is 236236CD 0f, cause it's amazing.

Close to that, at least... 

Is it faster than C version? It's been my Go To reversal/kill move for many of my games. 

Close to that, at least... 

Is it faster than C version? It's been my Go To reversal/kill move for many of my games. 

I think C and CD are the same speed. CD is the speed of C with the power of D. Basically, unless the opponent was already in the air/jumping, CD is going to hit them.

How do you input j.C after a 2C? I can't seem to cancel 2C's animation.

You need to do a short hop after 2C hits

You need to do a short hop after 2C hits

I see, not possible with j.2C then?

No. You're already airborne. Yeah I know it sucks :/

On the other hand you can do 2C>ShortHop>J2C which is pretty good IMO

Here's a no 2AC 6k combo for people that don't even want to think when trying to get challenge 25:

First, apply heat riser and mandala along with fear. Then,

236236D>5B>5C(1)>2C>236ABB>214214D

Does 6.1k

What can I follow up a raw 5C(2 hits) with? I've been using either 2B ->2C or 2AB ->214A.

If you get 2AB, you can go into 236ABB>214214D for around 4.5k. Not terrible off 75 meter. 

I'm about to talk about the Adachi BnB. I'll post it for reference:

starter>5C(1)>236236B>dash>5B>2C>2AC>5C(during hop)>5B>2B>2C>ender

So I'm having some problems with Adachi's BnB, both in actually using it and in part accepting it as the true BnB. It has a few problems as a BnB, seeing as BnBs are usually:

1) Fairly easy to execute

2) Lighter meter usage (<25 meter)

This is because you are going to be using a BnB a whole lot. 

That's Adachi's problem with the current BnB; it doesn't really meet the criteria. It requires 50 meter to even do the combo, and that's without adding an ender. Well, he's meter dependent, so what? That's just the beginning of what's wrong with this BnB. I've watched several Adachi's online, along with struggling to learn the BnB in training. Sometimes, I'll notice an Adachi player failing to do heat riser after 5C(1) because the timing is rather precise. This isn't that big of a deal, but it highlights the overall issue with this BnB: it is very execution specific. Now if you live where there is a big scene, this might not be the biggest deal, but if you're going to play online a lot, this is going to be pretty crippling. Imagine doing heat riser and going in for the 2C>2AC portion of the combo and lagging. You're not going to make it much past that. Hell, even the 5B>2B>2C portion of the combo has no room for error; if you accidentally press 5B twice, get ready to drop your combo. 

Now I'm not saying "boo hoo why can't I mash I thought this was persona", I'm just saying BnB's normally are more forgiving. This one isn't that forgiving. Additionally, since this BnB requires 50 meter to do, I've seen countless Adachi's move about clueless until they get 50 meter. The only two ways to do the combo without meter are to land a 5D (unsafe to keep spamming), get a CH 2B (unsafe), or get a command grab. Only relying on these 3 things until 50 meter just to get a BnB that almost every character has out of the box just seems a bit stupid to me. Even with Aigis' 25 meter BnB, the meter gets built quickly and her combo is sooooo easy to do. Minazuki also has an amazingly easy 3k meterless BnB, but he's not the best example in terms of "fair". 

I'm sure this is going to get some comments. Before it does, I just want to point out that:

I'm NOT saying Adachi is a bad character

I'm NOT saying that it's unfair that characters like Minazuki have advantages in areas that Adachi doesn't

Hell, I'm not even saying this BnB is necessarily a bad BnB

I'm just saying I think there has got to be something more optimal out there. Ideally, there would be a moderately simple, meterless BnB that would allow players to work more on match up and strategy rather than mastering a very time-specific combo.

What do you guys think?

My meterless BnB is 5AA->5B->5C(2hits)->2AB->214A which leads into his oki games, command grab or short hop or jump crossover.

I feel his moves fits the whole trickster motif of Adachi, like have you tried 2B->5C or 2D->5C(tech trap), his neutral is pretty strong I think, especially after coming from Junpei to him.

I don't find his short hop combos hard though, I do mess it up in less than 3 bars connection though.

However I'm not really finding a place to put my fears at, like I don't think the fear setup is worth the meter, maybe someone has something better?

His 2B as an anti-air is SHIT, total shit!

Every Character has flaws and you're right about it being kind of frustrating that his BNB is so... weird, I guess. However I think you should look at Adachi on another perspective.

Heat Riser is not a BnB. It's a MUST. As soon as you get it, you have to use it. Period. The 10% damage boost is pretty good but what I've noticed about this board is that No one has mentioned that he also gets a defense boost of 10% as well. This makes landing it a Must on any Adachi player.

Also I don't think this is his true BNB. Most of the time you're just gonna do starter>5C(All)>Sweep+Gunshot/B Run Tackle for the side swap. Deals 2K if you have the buff and I'd say it's as good as it gets really. Also, for me Sweep>EX Gunshot>Full Corner carry combo is pretty good since it allows you to also get the mandala. 

The timing about the heat riser is just about practice as I land it pretty frequently to be Honest. The A version is easier but you lose the 5B part of the combo if you want to do it because they can tech earlier.

Adachi for me is about playing with the right mindset since he gets outpoked clearly by most of the cast. Cross slash/Ziodyne spam does work sometimes but it soon turns to free meter and cards giveaway. Then you start using more 5C and JC since they're kind of his best tools. Yeah you can run up to people and mash 5A or 5B but you shouldn't even be allowed to be on the offense by your opponent to begin with if he knows what he's doing. I played against a Ken that mashed 5A, used the dog to cover and I felt my life miserable because Ziodyne got cut-off all the time. Cross Slash works better on that. If full 5C didn't add so much tech time man.

If ANYTHING I'd ask for an opportunity to confirm SOMETHING out of his DP since it's his only reliable tool outside of awakening. So far the only thing I've gotten is a supercancel to any super and it gives him so much blue health I want to puke. Yeah I know few people get full punishes from their dp but come on it's like my only reversal aside from the awakened super. I'm not going to use megidola on defense, that's asking for way too much trouble.

I love Adachi but he's way too dependant on meter for me, not like I'm going to stop playing him. Not low tier I guess but more like a mid-low tier char. Being awakened is another story though. 

Would you imagine if cross slash was an overhead? 

My meterless BnB is 5AA->5B->5C(2hits)->2AB->214A which leads into his oki games, command grab or short hop or jump crossover.

I feel his moves fits the whole trickster motif of Adachi, like have you tried 2B->5C or 2D->5C(tech trap), his neutral is pretty strong I think, especially after coming from Junpei to him.

I don't find his short hop combos hard though, I do mess it up in less than 3 bars connection though.

However I'm not really finding a place to put my fears at, like I don't think the fear setup is worth the meter, maybe someone has something better?

After a Heat Riser you can do 5C(1) which will launch the opponent to the side Maggie points his sword at. If you get the heigh right (assuming we're talking about a midscreen combo) you can get a fear on them before they tech. (D version)

Evil smile wiffs on crouching opponents though

I love Adachi but he's way too dependant on meter for me, not like I'm going to stop playing him. 

Best summary of my current sentiments. 

If ANYTHING I'd ask for an opportunity to confirm SOMETHING out of his DP since it's his only reliable tool outside of awakening. So far the only thing I've gotten is a supercancel to any super and it gives him so much blue health I want to puke. Yeah I know few people get full punishes from their dp but come on it's like my only reversal aside from the awakened super. I'm not going to use megidola on defense, that's asking for way too much trouble.

Try 236236CD as a reversal, it's great.

Try 236236CD as a reversal, it's great.

Yeah I've been using that a lot but what I meant is that for his most reliable tool on defense outside of awakening he doesn't really get that much after landing it.

Yeah I've been using that a lot but what I meant is that for his most reliable tool on defense outside of awakening he doesn't really get that much after landing it.

Well when cornered:

CH 236236CD>Dash 5B>5C>2C>2AC>2C>214A 3.7k

Alternatively CH 236236CD>Dash 5C>2C>2AC>5C>2B>2C>214A 4k

If you have the meter when you're cornered 

236236C>OMC>5B>2AB>236BB>5B>5C>2C>2AC>2C>214A for 3.7k 

100 SP but hey its safe. 

Dunno if all this is optimal but its what I came up with. He does lack some defensive options, but the stuff he does have lets him take corner pretty easily. 

Well after a CH DP, you can combo 5C. I've been using CH DP, 5C, evil smile (midscreen). I think you can get 5C to connect fully too, leading to 236AB, Ghastly Whail if you want.