Antiquarian

[P4AU] Tohru Adachi Gameplay Discussion

Super-cancels only detract blue health if they follow a Special move. If you're performing Heat Riser off of a normal, there's no deduction.

I see. Thank you, I didn't know about it.

I've edited some points of Adachi's wiki, mainly the description and differences of the following moves:

Megidola,Heat Riser,Evil Smile(description only),Atom Smasher, 2B,5C,5D,J.C and the very first add to his "tips and tricks" section.

Feel free to contribute/correct me.

I see. Thank you, I didn't know about it.

I've edited some points of Adachi's wiki, mainly the description and differences of the following moves:

Megidola,Heat Riser,Evil Smile(description only),Atom Smasher, 2B,5C,5D,J.C and the very first add to his "tips and tricks" section.

Feel free to contribute/correct me.

After using 2C, Mangatsu Izanagi will remain in his end position for a brief period of time. This allows you to cast an additional persona attack that will appear across the screen. Using this with Mangatsu mandala is especially helpful, as it allows you to obtain the mandala buff without landing a confirm. It is also difficult for the enemy to punish you from full screen, whether they block the attack or not. 

If you are in awakening and have neither the heat riser nor the mandala buff, start by obtaining the mandala buff. If you have enough meter for heat riser afterwards, you can use it in a combo for a free 5D unblockable reset (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Fjp5nMZt0) - proof. 

- Use heat riser before awakening if you have a strong life lead and want to keep your opponent pressured and afraid of the next confirm. 

Utilizing your burst offensively and defensively is key (aside from the offensive and defensive factors a burst is commonly used for).

-Offensively: If you plan on keeping your opponent on edge from start to finish, using a gold burst up to twice a round (once out of awakening and once in awakening usually) can give you a large amount of meter to take advantage of Adachi's many great meter requiring tools. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF_lw4HnkKA#t=1612) - used a few times in this video I believe. 

-Defensively: Though this is a standard use of a burst, it is important to note how helpful it is saving your burst for the main purpose of breaking an opponents combo just as you enter awakening. This can allow you to gain your mandala buff and make a serious comeback on your opponent. (the first video I posted highlights this). 

That's all I got for now, let me know what you think.

It was a nice breakdown. I already added 5D's unblockable to its description and I'd advice against the golden burst mechanic with Adachi. Yeah he gets a lot from it but his only defensive option is his DP and you'd be in a lot of trouble if you lose the burst.

The reward is pretty big though. And to be honest, Adachi doesn't really use that much of OMB on his combos (minus some pretty specific touch of death ones) so you'll mostly use it as a defense tool.

Would anyone mind playing me today? I'd like to face another Adachi player, since I feel that there is still a lot to learn.

Id definitely agree with actually using gold burst with adachi. I find the best times to gold burst are during delayed techs and when my opponent dashes at me. Having heat riser accessible  and activating it can pretty much guarantee you get burst back. Which would leave you with 100 heat if you got into awakening giving the access to the mandala to potential unblockable set ups. I think if you already go into a match with the mindset of only using burst on defense then you've already assumed in your mind that your going to be outplayed by your opponent.

I understand the frustration with adachis lackluster defensive options but if theres anything we can learn from the matches we've seen so far (like Asura's matches) is that patience is extremely required with adachi. Asura pretty much gets all his wins from counter hit 2b. 

What I have yet to see is fear being used effectively, which is understandable since  opting for fear leaves you almost fullscreen from opponent. I think adachi's access to fatal counters could close matches outright if we learned to apply it properly. I mean who wouldn't want to utilize our access to nontechable grabs, Especially in the corner where his command grab on fatal is comboable w/out meter. It also brings a mindgame into play, I find that feared opponents start to do really dumb things just because their scared of command grab.

From my week of use with Adachi I've found that he has lots of different tools accessible to him and its all a matter of remembering how and WHEN to use them. I think another overlooked tool adachi has is his stance cancel. You can get some really sneaky stuff off it. if you 2AB>236a/b you can then go into AA, DP or short hop (for overhead), gun shot(low), or command grab or grab. The only thing to worry about if you do this is a dp or if they jump. Although on jump you could stance into 5c or shorthop grab to punish. If you condition people to stance cancelling though you can use it to bait the dp. Stance cancelling works for me but I'd like everyones' feedback on its practicality.

The REASON I bold when is because a lot of the times I think we get into a routine with how we "win" with whatever character we choose to play, and then immediately throw away the other tools that could potentially help and make us better players. I think Adachi is all about knowing when to use the little things he has(like his awesome ziodyne unblockable setups!). If we start to rely on just earning victories from getting beat down until we get awakening, then we might as well be playing Elizabeth.(might be slightly exaggerating lol)

Once we figure out how to make adachi dangerous the entire match and not just when he is awakened I think people are going to respect this character A LOT more. 

Thank you for your insight. It was pretty informative and iluminating!

However I'd like to touch on one point. By "untechable grabs" you mean Megidola or his regular grab? Because if you're talking about the latter, Adachi doesn't get that much from it if he doesn't OMC.

And yes you're right. I don't use evil smile or stance that much. Guess I should start to.

I meant both. All grabs on fear are untechable! Although megidola would give us the damage, it can be grabbed before it comes out(Happens to me all the time). The upside to normal grab is that it gets you at neutral at your opponents face, if their feared then you probably have one free shot at a fatal counter(which could be megidola). Since fear is a status the only way to get out of fear is letting it run out or hitting the opponent. The hard part about playing adachi, at least for me, is actually getting in their face. The normal grab at least gets you there. I use the normal grab just to get my opponent still. Whiffing normal grab is far less punishing than whiffing megidola. I feel like doing megidola outside of the setups like 5AA or during their wakeup is suicide. I wish normal grab didn't do such lame damage but thems the breaks...

BTW A fatal 214a can lead into 665b>5c>Heat Riser or 665b>5c>2AB>214AB then do the the normal short hop combo. Which you could do after normal grab or even short hop and jb

Inthebookoflife's post is basically everything I wanted to say at the moment. Fear, when properly utilized, will be super important in some MUs I feel. Especially useful vs peeps like Sho and Minazuki where you'll have to make every hit hurt like hell due to their oppressive neutral and Adachi's bad defense. Fear makes them, well, afraid. It can easily lead to bad approaches and mistakes from them due to the fear of taking huge damage from the next hit. It'll also eliminate the need for specific starters or states like crouching to get to the big boy damage.

I've been practicing some punishes vs Minazuki's TP and Mitsuru's 5A pressure but I still can't find a way around Mitsuru's pressure. I know I can punish her after the droit, but not much more.

I should also say that I included this on the wiki, but Evil Smile whiffs on crouching opponents.

Stuff

Just wanted to point out that short hop attacks can never be overheads and that D Megidola is throw invulnerable.

However I have overlooked canceling sweeps into stance into other things, I thank you for this.

I've been starting to use 5C as starter quite frequently and I've only been able to do 2K of it meterless. I'm talking about full 5C. Anyone got anything better?

Nope, realistically you'll probably want to do 5C, sweep, into stance cancel oki 2D though. sweep 236aa is fine too. You can corner push like a boss with 5c 2b 2c. I use it a lot, but I shouldn't really do it since they can tech in the air after c,2b,2c

Nope, realistically you'll probably want to do 5C, sweep, into stance cancel oki 2D though. sweep 236aa is fine too. You can corner push like a boss with 5c 2b 2c. I use it a lot, but I shouldn't really do it since they can tech in the air after c,2b,2c

Thanks for the heads up!

I just found out that SB Stance eats proyectiles but the Ram attack doesn't.

I hope someone can make an interesting use of this.

Wait what?  The whole thing?  So (theoretically) if I go into training mode and set Narukami to raw Ziodyne I'll be able to walk through it?

Only when he's flashing/glowing, so the projectile invul. frames aren't nearly enough to make something like that viable.

You can do a lot of fancy stuff with it but I think the proyectile invuln takes a bit to kick-in so it's pretty hard to use it properly on reaction.

Uh, guys?

Heat Riser doesn't grant a 10% boost to Adachi's defense. I just tested this in training room. But for some reason, both the wiki and some of you guys are claiming otherwise?

It does. Here's proof of it:

http://youtu.be/7yjxmpU_iG8

If you don't see it at first (And who can blame you, 10% is tiny when weighing on j.C) I suggest pausing the vid on the first hit, lining up your cursor with the damage taken, then resuming, then again pausing on the second hit without moving your cursor. You will see the difference.

This was supposed to be a surprise I figured out the other day but someone at gfaqs dropped the ball so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E792fcVUJP0

SB Stance is not only proyectile invuln. It has far more uses. Please watch the little cmv I did that highlights it!

Things I've tested SB Stance on:

Aki's DP, Narukami's, Mitsuru's, Narukami's cross slash, Yukari's Arrow Super, Ken's DP and Junpei's

It only has a downside but I'm not telling yet.

That 10% defence boost though might mean I should just use heat riser as soon as I get the 50% meter, but I always feel like saving for SB Atom Smasher instead just so I have something to keep my opponent scared.

What do you guys think?

This was supposed to be a surprise I figured out the other day but someone at gfaqs dropped the ball so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E792fcVUJP0

SB Stance is not only proyectile invuln. It has far more uses. Please watch the little cmv I did that highlights it!

Things I've tested SB Stance on:

Aki's DP, Narukami's, Mitsuru's, Narukami's cross slash, Yukari's Arrow Super, Ken's DP and Junpei's

It only has a downside but I'm not telling yet.

That SB stance, holy shit I need to make use of it.