Antiquarian

[P4AU] Tohru Adachi Gameplay Discussion

That 10% defence boost though might mean I should just use heat riser as soon as I get the 50% meter, but I always feel like saving for SB Atom Smasher instead just so I have something to keep my opponent scared.

What do you guys think?

I think you'll want to use the 50 SP for combos, because you need Heat Riser to extend with. No reason to stop combos short just because you think you might need SP for defense later on, that kinda makes it so that you WILL need to use Atom because you're letting them live longer for no reason. In Awakening you'll want to blow 50 to get Mandala up ASAP, especially if they're in the lead.

I think you'll want to use the 50 SP for combos, because you need Heat Riser to extend with. No reason to stop combos short just because you think you might need SP for defense later on, that kinda makes it so that you WILL need to use Atom because you're letting them live longer for no reason. In Awakening you'll want to blow 50 to get Mandala up ASAP, especially if they're in the lead.

To be fair you can only really extend from Heat Riser after a non-slam 5C. However you're completely right. If you can use the meter, use it. The defense boosts is especially useful vs Shadow Characters!

Another reason I feel is they get an easier awaknening that way because I won't have the meter to kill them to prevent it when they're low enough.

Another reason I feel is they get an easier awaknening that way because I won't have the meter to kill them to prevent it when they're low enough.

Why? I mean SB atom smasher is not that good as a combo ender. You're way better using heat riser. If what you want is a way of killing them after a Heat Riser try doing 5AAA>B Riser>Dash to 5B>Loop. It should do about 3K or so

If anyone was wondering a cost effective way to combo off fatal counter Megidola midscreen like I was, I found SB tackle connects after it.

Normally you can only get 5C off of it or go with heat riser.

So

Fatal Counter Megidola->236ABA->5B->5C->214A 2288, dunno if you can get better for 25 meter.

Why? I mean SB atom smasher is not that good as a combo ender. You're way better using heat riser. If what you want is a way of killing them after a Heat Riser try doing 5AAA>B Riser>Dash to 5B>Loop. It should do about 3K or so

I'm thinking more like if I have 75 meter I can at least get 4k+ off a sweep->SB gunshot.

If anyone was wondering a cost effective way to combo off fatal counter Megidola midscreen like I was, I found SB tackle connects after it.

Normally you can only get 5C off of it or go with heat riser.

So

Fatal Counter Megidola->236ABA->5B->5C->214A 2288, dunno if you can get better for 25 meter.

I'm thinking more like if I have 75 meter I can at least get 4k+ off a sweep->SB gunshot.

Have you tried using sweep before gunshot? It should reach about 2.5 that way

Also how do you get 4K+ off the sweep? I thought that the loop to Heat Riser didn't do more than 3.4 or so.

Have you tried using sweep before gunshot? It should reach about 2.5 that way

Yeah, not enough hitstun left to get a sweep and gunshot in.

Also how do you get 4K+ off the sweep? I thought that the loop to Heat Riser didn't do more than 3.4 or so.

(Near corner) Sweep->214AB->5B->5C(1hit)->2C->SH->5C->5B->2B->2C->236B(1hit)->236236D     4055(non-CH) 4135(CH) damage

Edit:

Ignore the edits, this one is right, I forgot about something.

That's without Heat Riser buff.

You could try the slide route to Cross Slash so you can get 4K meterless

I've not bothered learning the slide route yet, but I know it's super good. Any tips for making the slide happen? I've tried it a few times but kinda just... forgot about it.

I've not bothered learning the slide route yet, but I know it's super good. Any tips for making the slide happen? I've tried it a few times but kinda just... forgot about it.

How to put this... It's kind of weird.

See at first I thought it was only height based but it's actually based on where Adachi hits them. If you hit them with the shoulder instead of the full charge it usually ends up as the slide state instead of the grab. It's kinda weird to explain it.

But yeah it's definitely worth learning.

This was supposed to be a surprise I figured out the other day but someone at gfaqs dropped the ball so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E792fcVUJP0

SB Stance is not only proyectile invuln. It has far more uses. Please watch the little cmv I did that highlights it!

Things I've tested SB Stance on:

Aki's DP, Narukami's, Mitsuru's, Narukami's cross slash, Yukari's Arrow Super, Ken's DP and Junpei's

It only has a downside but I'm not telling yet.

In the combo video how do you get the command grab super to connect after .....>2C>236BB>command grab super?

In the combo video how do you get the command grab super to connect after .....>2C>236BB>command grab super?

The only way you can combo into a grab is with a Spin State. EX stance puts them on said spinning state so the Command Grab can get them.

In short, you're doing 236BB (grab to sideswap throwaway). You need to do 236AB>A (EX version)

So uh. P4U just dropped in NA and i'm doing challenge Mode with Adachi and I'm having slight trouble with Challenge  24

For Challenge 24 it's Throw>OMC>2A>5D. Is there some sorta weird timing for it cause I'll do 5D and try to Do 2A and it wont come out. then the AI techs and etc.

so is there an odd timing to it?

hey I'm new to P4AU but I played the original tho and started to learn Adachi and went through his challenges I'm just wondering what kind of tools I should use in neutral game to approach my opponents with him (cause when i play matches with him I feel like I'm making some bad decisions)

So uh. P4U just dropped in NA and i'm doing challenge Mode with Adachi and I'm having slight trouble with Challenge  24

For Challenge 24 it's Throw>OMC>2A>5D. Is there some sorta weird timing for it cause I'll do 5D and try to Do 2A and it wont come out. then the AI techs and etc.

so is there an odd timing to it?

As soon as the throw hits you have to OMC, that way you can press D while they're on their way down so you can 2A as long as Adachi recovers. Try hitting the OMC right after the throw (make sure they trip). The harder part for me comes to the 5B after Mandala. I can't get it -_-

hey I'm new to P4AU but I played the original tho and started to learn Adachi and went through his challenges I'm just wondering what kind of tools I should use in neutral game to approach my opponents with him (cause when i play matches with him I feel like I'm making some bad decisions)

5B>5C>Sweep>Sb Gunshot is a useful (but very weak because of 5C) blockstring. In Neutral you have to be wary of 5B because if it whiffs you're in a lot of trouble. Try to use 5AA as approach (it pushes your opponent). If you see that they respect you too much you can always cancel your blockstring to stance into a command throw but unless it's CH you're not gonna get a lot from it.

J.C is the best normal Adachi has for Air Approach as it's hitbox is huge and you can get good damage of it if you land it close enough to the ground.

2.D is a nice fullscreen move but it can be easily blocked and they get a card from you which is a big deal for Adachi.

5D is also a good way to get in if you space it properly and they don't react in time to break it. It is also pretty useful for people who mash a lot while teching (I've landed a lot of those after people teching).

I think that's all I got for now.

Does he have a neutral game???

I made a list of his attacks and ranges, from shortest to longest, if anyone cares.

[collapse]

"/" means these moves have about the same range.

Below starting distance

214C

2A / 214D / 214CD

5A

5B/2B

214214 A

214214 B / 214214AB / Ghastly Wail (all versions)

214A / neutral jump jC

--

Starting distance

Furious Action / Heat Riser (all versions)

5C / Sweep

236AA / 236BB / 236ABA

---

Outside starting distance

214B

AoA

236C

214AB

236D

---

Fullscreen

5D

2D / j2D

236CD

Atom Smasher (all versions)

Instant Kill

[/collapse]

So... at first glance, it would seem that you pick your spots. You could always airdash in and j.C, that's the obvious thing to do, but you can also play defense with 2B and 2C both being air unblockable. If they whiff or do something stupid, you can go for 2D, a successful hit will let you gain some ground (but if you just chuck it out, that's a good way to lose a Persona card).

5C and sweep seem good, but the issue there is speed and recovery, you don't want to get caught with your pants down.

You can 5D if you have the time, but as said, you just gave the other guy a free bar for that. Though, at the same time, if you notice they are fully loaded I don't think there's anything wrong with using it freely.

You could go for Evil Smile, but you still have to land a hit afterwards. Dunno how I'd go implementing that.

My green is showing too, though... I don't quite know what you're supposed to do when you're actually on the inside, if the opponent is not already making mistakes. 2A is not a low- only 5A is jump-cancelable- 214A is disadvantage on block and can't really be mixed with j.B or anything- sweep/AoA is a bit too slow to be a mixup option, I think- so I'm not really seeing how you're supposed to open up someone who's blocking.

Frame traps via delayed button presses? But if they were just being patient and blocking, what would make them push buttons to get frame trapped in the first place?

Adachi's throw needs OMC to combo... it isn't particularly scary anywhere, and it seems like you don't recovery with much advantage if at all. There's Megidola, but I feel like that is more for hard read throw defense if anything. I mean, if people wised up to it, given a choice between an "eh" throw and a counterhit Megidola, people would just rather get thrown instead of trying to tech...?

Somebody set me straight. I'm slowly reading through this topic for anything I'm missing.

Can i have a list of adachis overheads? And a couple of +block moves.

OverHeads : J.B. J.C?

+ On block : SB Gunshot (5C? Pretty sure it isn't but It won't hurt for someone to confirm)

j.C is NOT an overhead.

For his throw, you can also OMB it and go for a combo and save the meter for something else (236AB~B>214214D combo ender, for example)

Frame traps via delayed button presses? But if they were just being patient and blocking, what would make them push buttons to get frame trapped in the first place?

I think I understand this a little more after reading through the topic.

so, I think the main mixup when pressuring would be (all on block)

http://youtu.be/Vq23jdDgikM

5AA / 2AA > 236B > 214C

I use 236B to stance cancel because of the faster walk speed compared to 236A. Does anyone think 236A starts up faster or something?

The blockstun from 5AA can sometimes eat button presses and lead to a counterhit Megidola for you.

Anyway, the opponent can get out by mashing 5A/2A and hitting you out of your grab's startup. So, mix in

5AA / 2AA > delayed 5B

And that's all she wrote.

If you panic or spaz out you can always end with 214A for a safe blockstring ender or 214AB to keep going.

Lemme know what you guys think, if you believe this is viable- or what other escape options you think exist, like DP.

ed. 5AA / 2AA > 5C seems to work too, if you can't be assed with timing 5B. Though, your confirm'll have to be a little tighter since 5AA does not link into 5C on hit.

I dont understand adachis play style that much. 5B on wiff is just bs to me. I mean he is just there poking at air with his gun leaving him open. His overhead AB dashes a bit too far. What irratates me is his personal range with his B attacks. And his persona attacks arent jump cancelable on block. But really, i just want that 5B fixed.

I was actually about to ask for basic pressure strings and what to do during neutral but you guys mostly answered that for me so thanks. Is there anything more he can do though besides what was already posted and the random AoA? I wouldn't even try to DP in pressure cause the risk is completely not worth the reward lol. Adachi's pressure seems to be pretty lacking in general. And what are some basic combos midscreen and corner-wise? Mid screen I've been doing:

5A>5AA>5B>5C(4)>2AB>214A

and if I get an air confirm just: stuff>2B>2C

but I feel like I can do more. And I don't really do anything different for corner combos unless I have 50 Meter to Heat Riser>2C>2D

Basic BNB's:

5AA>5B>5C(full) to:

-Sweep>Gunshot to force tech and continue pressure:

-236BB for the sideswap + Heat Riser if you have the meter to do it > 2C.

5D>Dash to corner>5B>5C>mc loop>5B>2B>2C:

-Slam for pressure/Mandala/HeatRiser Ender

-2D for meterless Damage

5AAA>B Riser>Dash to loop>Any ender you want. 

J.C>Any of the routes before mentioned

CH 2B>Whiff J.5C to get to the ground>Loop>5B>2B>2C>Ender of your choice

Throw>OMC>Loop starting with 5B.

5AA>5B>5C(1)>BRiser>Loop (the timing on 5C(1)>Riser is kind of strict (for me) so just try cancelling as soon as you press C)

Of course Sweep>Sb Gunshot>Loop also works wonders for just 25 meter.

You guys should lear the slide route as soon as you feel ready to do so. It adds a lot of Damage to Adachi.

Today I was fighting a Labrys online and I managed to pull the combo unconciusly (I didn't even think I'll ever get it ever online) and you can easily get 4-4.5K. Definitely worth learning.

Also remember that while Heat Riser is a good combo ender D Atom Smasher surpasses it as far as damage is concerned