Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thiz

[P4AU] Marie Gameplay Discussion

Yeah I just read the wiki and I learned that backdashes actually cannot be used immediately after waking up. That is new to me.

I'm assuming present will beat jumps with that startup now.

There's still one small problem, though. There should be a "mixup" with rolls and dp midscreen, with 5b losing to dp and doing nothing losing to the roll. Of course this is only for the qualified dps that have enough reach or whatever. Vanilla oki was perfect in every way, unless even rolls and dp's eventually become a non issue even meter less.

...Even still this shit does sound incredibly scary to deal with. Who allowed this!? This character is definitely rising a few ranks and sure raising some blood pressure. Spooky!

if you do nothing you can just grab the roll

I do it in the corner with SB present oki

I wait to see how they react, then respond accordingly

if they DP, they get baited

if they roll, they get thrown

if they jump, I apply what pressure I can and then if they keep doing it, I run up 2B immediately after popping presents

So Marie went back in time and stole Sweep>5D?

Just when I thought I couldn't hate her character more.

EDIT: Sorry for being a dick  :(

So Marie went back in time and stole Sweep>5D?

Just when I thought I couldn't hate her character more.

and the last thing we ever need in this forum is stuff like this (sorry for double posts lol)

Here's a question, did 5aa really need shorter recovery? It didn't even change, static difference wise. I find this weird.

Sorry! Guess the last part of my post was very rude. I didn't mean it like that, but reading it again made me see how bad it was.

My apologies.

Here's a question, did 5aa really need shorter recovery? It didn't even change, static difference wise. I find this weird.

it'll make things like tick throws more real I guess

Yes, delicious summon buffs. Going to gobble these up. Sad that SB Shining Arrows no longer has persona invuln but that D version not making the Persona appear though is pretty godlike. Also, j.C nerfs ;.; We're going to have to enjoy being a jerk with j.C while we still can guys.

As for present oki, it's hard to say if it's really as strong as the old sweep > 5D stuff from P4U1. If I am remember correctly, the real nerf there wasn't really that the gatling was removed but that even if you could somehow get the 5D oki, all the opponent had to do was let it hit them and they would get out. I'm curious to see if ASW has done anything similar in this case. From the looks of it though, it feels like delay teching can beat the non SB version. SB version looks pretty legit though but there might be ways to deal with it, though in my head, I'm only seeing character specific options. We'll have to wait and see what tech and counter tech gets discovered.

Also, kind of feel like we're quickly going in a direction where we need a thread dedicated to mixup and pressure. Might try to create one in the next few weeks with what's been mentioned in this gameplay thread so far while keeping note of 2.0 tech. Hmmm, maybe it's better to just make 2 separate threads though. Eh, we'll see.

tl:dr, Marie is really looking like the character I was thinking she be now and I'm very happy about it. I hope a few strong JP players pick her up early so we can hopefully get some nice footage.

Sad that SB Shining Arrows no longer has persona invuln but that D version not making the Persona appear though is pretty godlike. 

Doesn't even matter, since the persona only appears when you hit a button to send an arrow

now SB has better recovery and you keep air movement after the air version to make it special

If I am remember correctly, the real nerf there wasn't really that the gatling was removed but that even if you could somehow get the 5D oki, all the opponent had to do was let it hit them and they would get out. 

luckily that's not a problem with chocolate, as we know

they might be able to escape if that thing about boxes passing through people means the box ignores people who haven't teched, but we'll have to see

if j.C nerfs don't kill j.C loops (which I'll try to find out about as soon as possible), we'll get setplay off every meterless midscreen combo, but otherwise, it looks like we can really only get it off 5AA>sweep midscreen unless we spend 25 meter for the new 236AB route

Marie's new ability to move the persona forward with 5C means she'll be able to 5D from varying distances

Doesn't even matter, since the persona only appears when you hit a button to send an arrow

now SB has better recovery and you keep air movement after the air version to make it special

You make a very good point here. Super jump > SB Shining Arrow might actually be pretty nice with all of this in mind. 

Marie's new ability to move the persona forward with 5C means she'll be able to 5D from varying distances

That's a good observation. It might be hard to make use of though since strategically positioning Kaguya with 5C would be tricky. Maybe experimentation with the right blockstrings can help here though. 

sweep cancelable 5AAA means that combos we previously had to end in autocombo with no knockdown can now give us a hard knockdown

Yup, it's definitely a useful universal change to the characters. I'm curious to see if Marie's 2.0 combos will end up capitalizing on it. Actually, I'm just curious to see new Marie combos period. Bring on the Week 1 Marie CMVs Japan!!!

On another note, since 2.0 is out tomorrow, anyone mind if I create the 2.0 Video thread tomorrow night?

oops too late

I'd rather be able to do it myself so that I can make sure it gets updated and maintained

I'm still salty about celerity just leaving us and leaving me unable to maintain the combo and video threads

Masao said he was able to j.C loop in the loketest, though it was difficult, and that he'll check later today when 2.0 goes live in arcades

I'm also quite salty about that ;.;

I'm surprised Masao was able to get it to work though it's possible that ASW hadn't implemented all the nerfs by then. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can get it to work in final release. Also looking forward to hearing his Day 1 thoughts in general.

There were definitely at least some changes made to j.C in the loketest, as the guy posting notes on twitter said it was different, but he couldn't tell how.

Neat. Good to see j.C loops still in. That's pretty good +.

Wow, really. The eye pulls that much? That sounds almost too good to be true. That would really help our ability to pull in zoners and keep rushdown characters out while we summon something.