Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternate275

[CT] Carl Clover Tactical Discussion/Questions/Help

Something interesting just to put out there. When you burst as Carl, do a direction or a special move. Since Nirvana is independent of Carl, when you press D it will activate her. I've bursted my opponent right into her who then knocked my opponent back to me.

Yeah, you really cannot expect top-level play with a complicated character for a game less than a week old. Also, remember that you only see what gets recorded at a tiny handful of arcades over there.

Yeah, you really cannot expect top-level play with a complicated character for a game less than a week old.

Okay, I'm sorry, I know it's still very new, but it just seems like he isn't nearly as good as he should be.

Don't get me wrong, other than Litchi this is probably one of the more interesting characters I would like to see in action, but there really hasn't been much yet.

I've been getting a lot of wins, but usually I'll get kicked off after 3 or 4 if I have a streak. I was beat a lot by Ragna players last night, but then again so was everybody.

I really need to get some practice for my super combos. I've been playing on a pad too much lately so my lolipop stick skills are lacking.

There seems to be a lot I can combo into 632146C but I can't get the execution down well enough to try it out.

Someone timed Nirvana recharging last night and said it was 6 seconds.

But... they said the recharging might have been moving up faster when I was attacking someone.

I'll research it some more.

Who are the guys responsible for extracting frame data???

~drools~

I can't wait to analyze Carl's Technical Information :vbang:

good stuff =)

you play better than all the japanese vids i've seen so far

Thank you, like I said, I was a noob back then. I've had twice as long to practice since that match in that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osl7N1sJ2I4

Point-by-point on the video:

Beginning of match I 8D to start, most opponents air-rush attack immediately and that stops them.

That 3C, jump over opponent j.2C, 214C (Nirvana extended) combo I can do much more often now. I rarely miss the j.2C, in the video you see me messing up the jump a lot, either I'll super jump when I don't mean to, I'll jump back, or something.

That long range drill attack (41236C) actually takes a bit of Nirvana's health. As do all of Nirvana's specials and normals.

You see me dashing sometimes into Nirvana, that's just to get her into placement and closer to the opponent. Every time you see me dashing into Nirvana in the video that's what I was doing.

3C is very risky, if the opponent has been blocking the first parts of the combo, he can attack me back after I whiff 3C. I've been working on ways to mix-up a throw instead of 3C if I know I'm going to whiff, but often it takes fast reaction timing.

You see me try and make him fall into my super gear. It hasn't worked very often, usually they have time to recover and block before they fall into it. I'm working on other ways to combo with it.

There were plenty of times that I could have set up Bang to be attacked by Nirvana, but I didn't know Carl very well yet.

When I bursted round 2, what I would be doing now is using it to my advantage. Nirvana reacts to the D button while bursting, so I'd burst and control Nirvana at the same time.

It looks like it takes 15 seconds for Nirvana to revive. Someone had told me in one of my matches that the time got shorter when I was hitting my opponent. Anyways, you see me doing my super just to eat up time for Nirvana to get back up.

Those other videos I linked have some really good stuff to learn from them. Especially the Carl v Rachel and Carl v Noel.

^^^^

I'm so glad Carl can know combo into a 3C:keke:

When I was playing as him in the test versions a few weeks ago, he couldn't combo anything into 3C, I think the only one that combo into 3C before was his 5C, but that just pushes the opponent far.

Sometimes I like to pick up the character from the floor with a 5C or 6B.

And I just saw improvements in Carl's damage and how many hits to stop Nirvana:yaaay:

I'm also glad that his 632146+C doesn't last forever if the super doesn't hit.

I can't wait to try out full version Carl, I don't want to pick him again at Puente Hills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osl7N1sJ2I4 :keke:

That's me winning on Saturday. The game was about 24 hours old, I'm much better now that I've got practice in.

Good stuff. But I have a few questions about this video. Can you use that aerial stomp move as a crossup? If so, that's good for both the crossup and as that OTG combo. This allows Carl to reposition himself to combo the opponent into a nearby corner IF that is the case. Here's hoping you can xD

And the times that you are allowed to use that Automaton from one time to another. You can abuse it? Or is it set so that you have to wait a few moments before using it?

And does Carl have any Aerial Unblockables? Probably not, but I figure it's something for you too look out for =o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osl7N1sJ2I4

Point-by-point on the video:

When I bursted round 2, what I would be doing now is using it to my advantage. Nirvana reacts to the D button while bursting, so I'd burst and control Nirvana at the same time.

It looks like it takes 15 seconds for Nirvana to revive. Someone had told me in one of my matches that the time got shorter when I was hitting my opponent. Anyways, you see me doing my super just to eat up time for Nirvana to get back up.

Wait? Is Nirvana that robotic thing that assists Carl?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing has been brought to my attention. Can you build meter by whiffing normals? And if not, can the opponent build meter by attacking that robotic assist?

Good stuff. But I have a few questions about this video. Can you use that aerial stomp move as a crossup? If so, that's good for both the crossup and as that OTG combo. This allows Carl to reposition himself to combo the opponent into a nearby corner IF that is the case. Here's hoping you can xD

And the times that you are allowed to use that Automaton from one time to another. You can abuse it? Or is it set so that you have to wait a few moments before using it?

And does Carl have any Aerial Unblockables? Probably not, but I figure it's something for you too look out for =o

Wait? Is Nirvana that robotic thing that assists Carl?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing has been brought to my attention. Can you build meter by whiffing normals? And if not, can the opponent build meter by attacking that robotic assist?

Not sure what you mean by a cross-up. If the opponent is blocking low against Nirvana I can hit him with 2C because it hits high.

After you use Nirvana (yes, that's his robot doll) she powers down. So there's quite a bit of delay between moves with her.

I haven't had much of a chance to test other stuff recently. I think the 3C won't combo if they're too far away, but 6B, 3C seems to work all the time.

Not sure what you mean by a cross-up. If the opponent is blocking low against Nirvana I can hit him with 2C because it hits high.

After you use Nirvana (yes, that's his robot doll) she powers down. So there's quite a bit of delay between moves with her.

I haven't had much of a chance to test other stuff recently. I think the 3C won't combo if they're too far away, but 6B, 3C seems to work all the time.

Do you mean 15 seconds for her health to recharge?

Also, all of her normals and specials deplete Nirvana's health meter, or is it specific, and how much? (like, is it only a tiny bit or is a chunk each time)

Can't wait to try Carl out, he sounds like he plays a lot like Zappa's dog from what I've been reading. He looks good from what I've seen, but no one plays him lol...

Do you mean 15 seconds for her health to recharge?

Also, all of her normals and specials deplete Nirvana's health meter, or is it specific, and how much? (like, is it only a tiny bit or is a chunk each time)

Can't wait to try Carl out, he sounds like he plays a lot like Zappa's dog from what I've been reading. He looks good from what I've seen, but no one plays him lol...

It takes 15 seconds for Nirvana to recharge her health back. Someone told me that it takes less time the more you attack your opponent. I'm not sure if that's true, I don't pay attention to Nirvana's health when I'm comboing people.

I think it's a different amount of Nirvana's health for each move. For example, specials take more than normals.

i see lots of familiar faces from zappa forums

we all decided to choose zappa dog (carl) instead of zappa ghost (arakune)? lol

anyway, how low can you do j2c?? if you can do it pretty low (like its at least somewhat hard to see and block) i can see something like:

knockdown -> 41236D -> 2a/j2c (nirvana hits) -> knockdown repeat?

Not sure what you mean by a cross-up.

What I meant, was if they were blocking, and you IAD behind them and perform the move. Does it work and is it effective? Or even using it as a corner crossup =o

I'm not sure, I only really air-dash behind them if I've already got a setup for it, so they wouldn't be blocking. If I get the opponent in a corner I can loop some stuff. Either I'll keep Nirvana behind me to trap them back into the corner, or I'll use her in an attack.

I really need to show you guys videos of what I'm doing now and not 3 days ago. It's hard to explain.

You can j.2C pretty low to the ground, but it's useless at that point because it only hits directly below you. It has a very small outward extending hitbox.

knockdown -> 41236D -> 2a/j2c (nirvana hits) -> knockdown repeat?

That's impossible, Nirvana has a really long recovery time after 41236D. I can set it up so that they'll block low b/c of nirvana and I attack high, making it impossible for them to correctly block, but continuously using Nirvana in a combo more than once is really difficult, if not impossible.

I know I already mentioned it, but I can't give it enough credit:

41236BD is such a great move I can't talk about it enough.

If Nirvana is directly behind you and you do this move, you go on the other side of your opponent and simultaneously Nirvana will do her drill arm. This effectively sandwiches your opponent, which can lead to some great combos.

Also, just about every C ground attack (3C, 6C, 623C) sets up great for Carl's super (632146C). His super is where the real damage is at too, because you can still control Nirvana in the middle of Carl's 20 hit super (God I love that drill arm >.<). Even if you whiff, you can surprise attack your opponent into thinking that you're defenseless while you 63214C command grab him (and effectively toss him straight to you). I catch players with Nirvana's command grab from off screen so often it's ridiculous.