Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternate275

[CT] Carl Clover Tactical Discussion/Questions/Help

God, I would never play Carl on pad.

So, a few questions:

1) How the HELL do you fight Litchi? She can just zone the robot, so having it active outside a combo seems near-pointless. I try ducking 6b with 3c, but it's tricky, and pretty much feels like a gimmick to use on weaker players.

2) How do you approach? This ties in with the Litchi thing, kinda, but I see it being a BIG problem for me. I'm either approaching with airdashes into grab/j.c/j.2c alle-can (which I can't combo from yet, and have a hard time using properly anyway), or I'm trying to use his freakin' RETARDED dash that just gets me hit. Is he meant to just move INCREDIBLY slow and walk everywhere, or what?

3) 22]d[... how the HELL do you do it? I try doing it, and it either does 2]d[, 3]d[, or ignores my input altogether. I also end up with random SRKs and crap like that when trying for whatever. What gives with this game? I can hit my combos every time in GG, and never have a 236236 become an SRK, or, worse yet, a hcb>f motion become a srk in the opposite direction. I don't get it. D:

^^ lol reminds me of myself in november when i used Carl and my friend used litchi :keke:

1) Litchi owns you with 3 moves, 6B which owns the robot, jB which owns you, and jC which also owns you, but not as hard as jB. 6B owns you so hard sometimes when you do 41236D and iad jC, it hits the robot then counter hits you lol. Don't try to use the robot to attack when you're far, just move with D hold. When nirvana is hit in D hold the recovery is much less than other moves. Smart hold and release of D will actually evade the hits and make 6B whiff, gets you some time to gain space.

2) approach slowly, IAD and stuff is suicide if dont from far away because jC isnt a good jump in at all... Approach with nirvana in front of you as well. Only use iad j2c alle-can when you've got them blocking for sure, using it from far away iad doesn't work well either.

3) i dont know lol.

1) So, should I do what DIO/everyone does (and I didn't notice until today) and backdash behind the robot, turn her on, then dash with her on? Doesn't that only take projectile hits for me? I can see some of the advantage behind it, though, since it actually allows me to do jump-ins if I start them with srks and claps. Hrm...

2) Yeah, I've been learning that walking really isn't all that bad. Carl is super patient for his age. Dayumnz.

3) So is this just me messing up stupid stuff, and needing to lrn2play? Or does anyone else have this problem? Maybe I'm going too fast. :(

Would Rachel be a good secondary, or does Carl handle v-13 decently? I'm asking because it seems like everyone and their mom is maining nu in CO.

Concerning playing carl on a pad. Try this configuration.

A = Square

B = Triangle

C = Circle

D = R1

The logic behind this is leaving the buttons at default except the "D" (which is your drive button). The reason for putting it up at R1 is so that you can have access to R1 at all times with your right finger as your thumb occupies the rest of the face buttons. Hope that helps.

It's obviously better to play on a stick though.

1) So, should I do what DIO/everyone does (and I didn't notice until today) and backdash behind the robot, turn her on, then dash with her on? Doesn't that only take projectile hits for me? I can see some of the advantage behind it, though, since it actually allows me to do jump-ins if I start them with srks and claps. Hrm...

2) Yeah, I've been learning that walking really isn't all that bad. Carl is super patient for his age. Dayumnz.

3) So is this just me messing up stupid stuff, and needing to lrn2play? Or does anyone else have this problem? Maybe I'm going too fast. :(

Would Rachel be a good secondary, or does Carl handle v-13 decently? I'm asking because it seems like everyone and their mom is maining nu in CO.

1) Its only a way to move Nirvana and yourself closer together, since moving Carl alone puts you too far away from her, and moving nirvana alone gets you 6Bed. Don't think of pushing it as a shield for you to get in. Don't ever think nirvana is a shield :eng101:

3) i dont know, i wish i could tell u, coz that means i have the game. But i dont :( And it seems like Canada may be fucked over the ass and getting the game on the 29th or something?

If you can't get in even on litchi, good luck getting in on v-13 :vbang: U can try rachel, shes probably better off than most.

So I downloaded this entire thread. Two questions:

1) Any new Carl players want me to toss a zip of it up on rapidshare/megaupload?

2) After I finish reading through it, would anyone like me to make a megapost containing all the useful information and some of my own notes? Obviously, I'm no professor with Carl, given that I've been playing him for less than a week, but still, ideas are ideas, and Carl is a character that is meant to be shared. I mean, we already shared the 100% damage combo, so what more is there to do? A combo that takes both rounds instantly? lolololol

Hidden

What is smarsh? And where do people who put drive on shoulder put burst/throw/barrier/slashback thing (the blockstun counter)/rapid cancel? I can see removing burst and using rapid cancel/drive to do that, but which of the others do you skip?

EDIT: I guess you could go all soul calibur and put barrier block on the last face button.

Hidden

Smarsh=Smash Bros. Melee

I'm just stupid, is all.

There are two shoulder buttons on each side. There are a few more that you can map to burst, FD, etc.

I'd recommend L2 for burst, L1 for RC, and R2 for FD, methinks. I ~think~ that's what most our pad players do.

i didn't see anyone post anything about it, but i read like the first 8 pages, then skipped to 55 lol, so excuse me if this has already been stated.

i have found carls IAD 2C throw cancel thing to be super helpful as an alternative to the little boy dash (236 A or B)

and 2C~214C is really good because people may expect you to bounce when in reality you're gonna fall right next to them and possibly have a throw trap set up for them

off of a neutral or forward throw you can do the gear super for OTG, pretty easy damage to get

i didn't see anyone post anything about it, but i read like the first 8 pages, then skipped to 55 lol, so excuse me if this has already been stated.

i have found carls IAD 2C throw cancel thing to be super helpful as an alternative to the little boy dash (236 A or B)

and 2C~214C is really good because people may expect you to bounce when in reality you're gonna fall right next to them and possibly have a throw trap set up for them

off of a neutral or forward throw you can do the gear super for OTG, pretty easy damage to get

off a neutral/forward throw you can also go into 2c8d loop/throw loop for even better damage.

But the super is burst-proof for true finishes!

Good shit, peppermint.

EDIT: It's in the guide. Still, nice that you figured it out on your own!

I'm having trouble comboing after an allecan. Any common problems/fixes you guys had while learning Carl?

Someone should make a video showing every combo in the Carl guide.

Also, happy 4th, Carl players!

EDIT 2:

Soooooooooooo, good news and bad news.

You can summon Nirvana during Viva - good!

The betch keeps getting in front of me when I try to do the throw>teleloop. D:<

EDIT 3:

Looking over stuff, I think that Taokaka would be a better second than Rachel. The only match-up I'm truly worried about once I get my stuff down is Nu, and Tao seems to get in and pressure her really fast. Jin will be a campy hoebag, but whatever.

Maybe I'll just play Carl only and learn to beast the bad match-ups. Hrm...

I don't think Nu is as big as a problem as Rachel. Yeah Nu is a pain to get in on but atleast she's not throw loop invulnerable.

One thing I found out that was really nice. when holding either 7 or 9 and then releasing D, Nirvana will always do 8D instead of 6D or 4D. I always wondered how Carl players in the videos had such good execution with moving Nirvana back and forth just an inch during throw loops to keep getting her in the right position. Know this tidbit will help someone alot to make sure Nirvana is always in the right spot.

I think I know why no one plays Carl in the beginning now. )': I love this kid anyways.

Thanks for all the info, guys. Hope to play y'all sometime...when I'm not awful.

Hidden

Should I put you on my friends list for Xbox live?

Hidden

ill be getting the game on monday. you could add me too :P i would like to know character matchups for whoever i decide to play as...

Hidden

Zoog, you have XBL? We should play and you should be liek...

"STOP DOING STUPID STUFF, SCRUB!"

And then I could cry. :(

Hidden
Should I put you on my friends list for Xbox live?

Sendin' a PM.

Hidden

people like ignoring me apparently.

Hidden

Mala, I can add ya later tonight, but my Carl won't be on XBL until Wednesday unless he suddenly starts clicking with me. D:

Hidden

sounds good. i wont be playing til monday cause thats when i get it and then i have to choose a character.

Hidden

alright ill send an invite now.