Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damned Wolfe

[CS2] Ragna General Discussion

How do you Play Ragna?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. How do you Play Ragna?

• Straight up Offense!
    • Bait in to Punish!
    • Defensive Punish!
    • Spam Hell's Fang and Inferno Divider moves!

I'm sorry if you guys heard this question alot before

in CS is Ragna's drive gonna give him decent health ? i get pretty much nothing helpful with drive in CT except Yami ni Kurawrero

I don't think it got better directly... because everyone except a few characters got weaker damage wise, so he can maintain a higher health in theory... unless you fight Hakumen, Tager, or another Ragna, they do murderous damage in comparision

I don't think it got better directly... because everyone except a few characters got weaker damage wise, so he can maintain a higher health in theory... unless you fight Hakumen, Tager, or another Ragna, they do murderous damage in comparision

wait, what?

I don't understand. You're saying that Ragna's drive is only good because of weaker damage from most of the cast? ... wut

I don't understand.

You're saying that Ragna's drive is only good because of weaker damage from most of the cast?

wut

What he means is (or what I think he means) is that because of the lesser damage most of the cast does now, Soul Eater has less to heal and therefore more effective because of it. Soul Eater effects were weak in CT because a single combo did more damage than it could start to make up for. While the same can be said about CS, the damage is still noticeably lower, and Soul Eater can actually start to heal effectively (or more effectively than CT at any rate) , somewhat thanks to the set healing values that is given to Soul Eater in CS.

To put it simple.

Less Damage = More Useful Soul Eater/ Happy Ragna :eng101:

I'm sorry if you guys heard this question alot before

in CS is Ragna's drive gonna give him decent health ? i get pretty much nothing helpful with drive in CT except Yami ni Kurawrero

learn BK setups if you're dissapointed with your health gain, just expect to get bursted on a lot when you start them

What he means is (or what I think he means) is that because of the lesser damage most of the cast does now, Soul Eater has less to heal and therefore more effective because of it. Soul Eater effects were weak in CT because a single combo did more damage than it could start to make up for. While the same can be said about CS, the damage is still noticeably lower, and Soul Eater can actually start to heal effectively (or more effectively than CT at any rate) , somewhat thanks to the set healing values of CS.

To put it simple.

Less Damage = More Useful Soul Eater/ Happy Ragna :eng101:

I'm even more confused now. Someone wanna explain this clusterfuck please?

^(ladon) thanks for the tip, I'm still very new the game and still practicing basic mechanics and combos. but i'll definitely work on BK setups. I'm afraid of BK because my health decreases and I don't know if I can get health back that compensate for the loss. @ earlier posts so a lot of character are gonna get nerfed? are the changed going to make BB more balanced. I feel CT is too unbalanced that it is hard for me to take it as seriously as street fighter. some characters combos take too much damage, too many cheap tactics, characters has very d0-able infinite setups(carl, arakune), just too much bs in the game to be honest. please tell me i feel this way just because i'm total noob in the game, not because it is in fact cheap.

I'm even more confused now. Someone wanna explain this clusterfuck please?

if you're taking less damage and returning more damage ragna will overall take less damage, this is assuming you get enough combos to offset the balance(outside of blood kain this really doesn't happen, but then again if you figure you're getting 3-4k damage and 700-900 health on average per combo, it's a nice way to say on fights ragna wins and gets hit, he has 11k health)

I'm really new so forgive my noobish questions. I have a couple easy ones that will hopefully help out my training.

First, when I try a combo like this in a match, the opponent is always too far for 22C to work. What am I doing wrong?

(mid-screen) 5B, 2B, 3C, 22C, 5B, 623D -> immediate 236C -> delay 236C, 22C

I can easily do 5B, 3C, 22C, etc... but the extra pushback from the 2B seems to make me too far away...

Next one is about Keri Age (214B -> delay 214D). I can sometimes get the 5C hit or the 5B hit, but I don't honestly see the difference in timing. If I don't delay my 214D until literally the last few frames before hitting the ground, I miss 5B just as easily as 5C. People act like the timing on 5B is easy, but I just don't see it. After two days of screwing with the timing, it seems so unforgiving that I feel I am missing something important.

On successful attempts, I delay 214D until the very, very last second (sometimes I don't even get it off in matches because I overdo it), and then mash 5B so that it comes out the second I recover. If I am even the slightest bit early on my 214D, the 5B will hit but lose heat.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

(mid-screen) 5B, 2B, 3C, 22C, 5B, 623D -> immediate 236C -> delay 236C, 22C will not work on Jin, Rachel, Taokaka or Carl because their stagger animation pushes them too far back for 623D for connect after 5B. It works fine on everyone else, just remember not to dawdle with the 623D. Regarding delayed Keri Age, honestly, hitting 5B afterwards isn't very strict. It helps to know what setup you're using though, as some setups won't give the right positioning to land 5B into 6A or 5C. Also, if you're delaying it as much as possible after back throw or 6C and then just mashing 5B, you will rarely connect with 6A afterwards. The key is to either wait a while before doing 5B, or not wait quite as long before you connect with Keri Age, then do 5B as fast as possible. The later method will work in more instances.

^(ladon)

thanks for the tip, I'm still very new the game and still practicing basic mechanics and combos. but i'll definitely work on BK setups. I'm afraid of BK because my health decreases and I don't know if I can get health back that compensate for the loss.

@ earlier posts

so a lot of character are gonna get nerfed? are the changed going to make BB more balanced. I feel CT is too unbalanced that it is hard for me to take it as seriously as street fighter. some characters combos take too much damage, too many cheap tactics, characters has very d0-able infinite setups(carl, arakune), just too much bs in the game to be honest.

please tell me i feel this way just because i'm total noob in the game, not because it is in fact cheap.

1: If you land a good BK setup, you don't need to fear health loss.

2: Yes. Where have you been this whole time while CS was getting geared up for the 11/20 release?

3: Most of the BS you speak of is doable because the player is probably very good with his character. Clap Loop is one example of this because it's harder than it looks, both doing it and drilling it in your muscle memory. However, you simply cannot ignore Arakune's 2D corner loop with a hover cloud over your head, because it pretty much means you either get guard crushed, cursed or both and anyone could do it without knowing how to play Ara. And Clap Loop being a loop that takes out all your HP if executed perfectly is not something you can ignore and pass off as fine, because it's also part of Carl's gameplan, which makes him kind of one-dimensional IMO.

just mulling something over my head, is there any reason that this combo would not replace the current top RC combo for ragna? 5b-5c-hf(1)-rc-3c-5D-dc-6A-sjc-jc-jd-jd-BE-5D-22c is the proration too high by the BE point that they tech before 5D? unless i'm only witnessing counter combos it seems like this would work on most characters.

Nah, I've seen far dumber combos so far, I wouldn't be surprised if that works and other people are just opting for the old combo for comfort's sake. In fact, I dare say you could probably make it longer too.

well if anyone who posts here regularly has access to a bbcs cab(cny-chinatown fair is not a fun commute :[) and can test these out it'd be much appreciated!

Got to play for the first time today. Love the new Ragna. Is it just me or is 5b a tiny bit shorter? I whiff hits that 'feel' right. The new 5c is very nice though. Also this combo listed in the combo thread: CH 214A, 5B, 6A (HJC), j.C, j.D (JC), j.C, j.D, 623D -> 236C -> 214D Damage: 2380, Difficulty: * I noticed now that when you CH hells fang your opponent moves back a lot, so my usual 5d after 5b was whiffing by a lot. I don't see how this combo would land? (dash after CH I imagine)

I guess I should mention this here

HI!

I played a Jin today and I did a meaty DP as Ragna on his wakeup. Jin does Super counter. Nothing happened to me and Jin was on the other side of the screen. Didn't even rapid it

I got caught in the super counter freeze. But nothing nothing happened to me at all

Copy paste Ok I played another Jin again today. I did it again, DP on his counter super. Nothing happened to me and I was even able to punish Jin for his counter You can do it consistently

I have a simple answer for this, because the exact same thing can happen against Haku-Men in Calamity Trigger (minus the punishing part, as Haku-Men is completely invulnerable when he connects with a counter).

You hit the counter animation during a frame when you were still invulnerable, and because hitting the counter physically freezes you on the spot, you remained invulnerable. Against Haku-Men however, Yukikaze can still continue to do damage some time after you've started moving again, so you need enough invulnerable frames to pass through it completely. C Inferno Divider is invulnerable for 21 frames, which is sufficient.

At least in Calamity Trigger (as I'm unsure how long the active frames for Yukikaze are in Continuum Shift), responding to Yukikaze's super freeze with a reversal C Inferno Divider will never get you hit, because if you connect with the first hit, you'll pass through his counter safely, and if you only connect with the second hit, you'll hit him because Yukikaze isn't active for long enough.

I'm gonna repost the same thing I put in Jin forums:

Hakumen has 2 forms of yukikaze, a regular, and a faster version. The faster version doesn't just come out faster, it also has faster initial frames, ie less stop frames. For example, you can hit Bang out of daifuka with regular yukikaze even if it's immediately after activation. However, if it's a super yukikaze, the faster initial frames allow Bang to invulnerable his way through it.

Likewise for Ragna's DP (btw, meaty dp? wtf?), if it's indeed a meaty, then it's probably a super yukikaze, and likewise the above could have happened.

That said, it should also be taken into consideration that Jin's version of Yukikaze, regardless of variation, may just have less active frames. I'm basing this on animation alone so it's not accurate. Just keep this in mind.

Oh, and don't punish yukikaze with dp. 5C after super flash is guaranteed and counter hit for good dmg. Should apply to both CT and CS.

While that is certainly true, it doesn't need to be the just-frame Yukikaze for Ragna to pass through unphased (I've tested and verified against a standard Yukikaze). In fact, such a thing may even work against Ragna, because for it to connect on the first active frame of Yukikaze, Ragna has to have gone through his entire start-up, which eats away at those previous 21 frames of invulnerability that keep him safe in the first place.

That would take another variable into play, which is on which frame the hit connects. But as far as my point goes, it's to recognize that yukikaze is active "faster", not for a shorter period of time. And again, Jin's frame data could be completely different, which was the yukikaze under question here I believe.

I'm not punishing Yukikaze with DP. I'm doing a MEATY DP. The point of this is to run at the opponent with the intent of doing some move on their wakeup, hence making the guy on the ground react to your run in with a DP or super or some sort. Usually if they do such a thing, Ragna gets enough invulnerability frames to go through the DP or beat the DP allowing to punish the other guy. Ragna can also clash with the DP in which I simply do another DP, unless it clashes again, then you just repeat. So the idea here is that Meaty DP beats/clashes reversal DP, reversal Super, whatever they did waking up Meaty DP loses to blocking, people who know what you're up to. But you can also rapid the DP if they blocked it Builds a mind game, my own very weird style of play Today against Jin, I went through the super counter, Jin is still talking/putting is sword away/whatever he was doing, and I had enough time to run up and 5b 3c him